Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will we see more MMO's on Macs?

StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

yea i own a mac... kinda mad i have the option of like 3 mmo's. i do have bootcamp, but its a hassle to use imo... am i better off just gettin a PC for my next comp? 

Playing EVE
Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

Comments

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

If you want to game more then yes, a PC is what you should get. You're going to see more MMO's on consoles before you see more for the mac.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

well pc/mac are like 95%/5% market share to each other.  gamer wise its more like 99.5% pc gamers .5% mac gamers, with alot of both users (10-50% depending on which hardware) gaming on linux.  macs have been using better and better pc hardware lately but the mac os is still the little red headed step child no one loves to code games for.  the way prices are now theres no reason to get rid of your mac, but you should pick up a pc for gaming (well under 1000 dollars for a fine gaming rig that you only need to recycle every 4 years or so) to game on.  windows 7 wont bite, honest.  just keep good firewalls and anti virus software at hand, the virus people also know which market share to target =p

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by neorandom
    with alot of both users (10-50% depending on which hardware) gaming on linux.

lol? not a chance :P Linux has a < 2% market share on desktop's and that's gonna be even lower for gamers, gamers don't want to deal with Wine just to maybe be able play their games.. and 10-50%?? Be lucky to be .1-.5%

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by StevieHmself

yea i own a mac... kinda mad i have the option of like 3 mmo's. i do have bootcamp, but its a hassle to use imo... am i better off just gettin a PC for my next comp? 

mmo for computer will go dow the drain,yes there will be some avail

but ps3 is so powerfull for the price most just dont upgrade their computer for gaming they go ps3 ,xbox etc

expacially since final fantasy 14 will ba avail on ps3 ,it will be a nice alternative ,and since we play wow mostly no use buying a new comp since there are no alt to wow orthe very limited other choice

and the fact blueray is already on ps3 is a big plus .

i sure wont buy a new computer ,will upgrade graphic card but thats about it

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    Originally posted by StevieHmself  yea i own a mac... kinda mad i have the option of like 3 mmo's. i do have bootcamp, but its a hassle to use imo... am i better off just gettin a PC for my next comp? 

but ps3 is so powerfull for the price most just dont upgrade their computer for gaming they go ps3 ,xbox etc
    expacially since final fantasy 14 will ba avail on ps3 ,it will be a nice alternative ,and since we play wow mostly no use buying a new comp since there are no alt to wow orthe very limited other choice

wow what's going on in this thread, first linux has 10-50% of gamers and now ps3 is the new home to mmo's?

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

I got a good giggle out of this.  Thanks.

To the OP; Macs suck for gaming.  Save yourself some frustration and buy a Windows box..

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by noquarter

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Originally posted by StevieHmself

wow what's going on in this thread, first linux has 10-50% of gamers and now ps3 is the new home to mmo's?

I think we've just entered ....

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call... The Twilight Zone!"

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I game on a Macbook Pro (work computer), but I use Bootcamp to run Windows 7. Windows 7 is quite nice, easily the best Windows version I've tried.

I will eventually get a dedicated gaming PC though. If you're wanting to get a gaming machine, a Mac is NOT the way to go.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

There will probably be a decrease of mmos being designed to work on the mac.  The problem is a lack of OpenGL support, and boot camp.  Developers just aren't going to waste their time.  Simply put OpenGL hasn't been competitive with the better compression in DX and HLSL being the more robust shader language.