Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just joined this game this last weekend... few comments...

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Hey all,

I've been watching EVE for a long time, and I am a fan of the game, even though I didn't play it. I like what CCP has done with it, and I hope more game developers are learning something. Up until this last weekend, I was never able to get past the very beginning of the new player tutorial before I found myself somewhat overwhelmed and bored.  I think it was about 6 months or so the last time I tried.

Having seen the Dominion trainer, I figured I would try again.   I must say that the tutorial actually sucked me in and presented me with a coherent starting point from which to get into the game.  My previous attempts to start the game felt like: "Here's your crappy starter ship and the unfathomable vastness of space.  You will die. Enjoy".  I honestly don't know if they redesigned the starter tutorial since I last tried, or if the time was just right for me to jump in.  Either way, I am in and have worked through the first 10 Military profession tutorials.  It was quite fun.

I still have no concept of what this game has to offer.  Maybe after I finish the other starter tutorials I will have a better mental model to work with.  I also have no idea how large the game's playable area is, or what is out there to see, explore and fight, but that makes it more intriguing right now. I still have a bit of a hard time relating myself to a ship, instead of a character, but in the interest of avoiding all the other cookie-cutter garbage on the market, I think I can get over it.

I do have a couple questions if anyone has the time.

1)  How is the exploration profession in this game?  Exploration is huge for me in ground based MMO's and I'm curious about what is offered on this career path in EVE.

2) Is there decent money to be made in exploration, or will I need to have another character to do that stuff?

That's all for now.  Looking forward to continuing the game in my free time.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

There is money to be made but it will be a while before you will probably make much isk and like you said earlier in that comment I am stealing for my bio, "you will die".

Yes you can make decent isk doing exploration. You couldn't do much worse than look to join an active WH corp once you have a handle on the game as it will give you a different area of space to play around in daily(ish). I'm pretty sure someone will jump in here shortly and give you a more detailed heads up with regards to exploration.

Jam is sticky.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Exploration can be an incredible way to spend  your time in EVE.  There are corporations who set up their base, or POS, inside of a wormhole to exploit its riches.  They need all kinds of professions to run the sites found inside these areas, from mining to combat.   Also there is plenty of room to pvp as there are often enemy players looking to take out your POS or you inside the wormhole.  The loot and salvage gained from the Sleeper NPCs in the wormholes can make you filthy rich as well.

I also would like to mention that it is OK to think of yourself as a character rather than a ship.  This game allows for a larger degree of player interaction than most, where your actions can have huge consequences.  These actions aren't associated with your ship, but with your character.

Again, you can dedicate your entire life in EVE to exploration if you so chose.  It's easy to break into with high security hidden sites.  It can also be the 'endgame' for you if you join a hardcore exploration corporation.

Best of luck!

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

If you want to go into Exploration I can help you out...We do it for a living :)

send me your charecter name and I will convo you ingame for a talk...

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Exploration is a fun way to enjoy the game and money can be made. You have to be careful of what territory your in and who controls it or you'll be locked and destroyed. join an exploration corps or one in an alliance that does this for protection and funding. Just be carteful out there.

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH fired plungers at Sleeper cruisers. Raving Rabbid enjoyes the sleeper salvage!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    Originally posted by Zlayer77

If you want to go into Exploration I can help you out...We do it for a living :)
    send me your charecter name and I will convo you ingame for a talk...

I completely understand how Eve can come off as "what the hell do I do"!  Your best bet is to hook up with this person who is willing to help you play the game. It really helped me when I joined a corp called DSI  -I tried Eve three times before I joined a corp. Joining a corp seriously leads you into the fun aspect of the game.

I don't suggest becoming a miner because it will be slow. Hook up with people. Eve is an amazing living MMO that takes part with other players. Playing solo just sucks in Eve for a new comer to New Eden.  Last night I podded a space pirate and made a 10 million bounty fee.  The other night we mined and made 64 million ISK with a small group. The other night we ran lvl 4 missions and ran a slavage operation resulting in 20 million ISK per user in the group. Now ISK is my game in Eve. But with exploration- mannn thats where you get to see 55,000 planets! And within a few months we will be interacting with them! 

Hook up with players- stay thirsty my friend!  

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406

I am a new player in eve too. I just started for my second time 14 days ago and, let me tell ya joining a corp makes all the difference. The first time I tried eve I didn't join a corp and, I quit within 10 days or so. I was just far to bored and had no clue what to do with my time really. This time around I joined a corp after I got through all the starter missions and, I have been having alot of fun. Eve isn't for everyone though if your looking for non stop action right outa the gates, most likely your not gonna find it. I may be wrong but I doubt it. Still eve is a very fun game once you start getting involed in a corp. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

• CrueKnightCrueKnight Member Posts: 48

I agree. EVE isn't for everybody. But it's perfect for me as I am playing to take a break from my First Person Shooter games... like L4D2. 

So anyways, over 50, 000 planets! Thats pretty cool. But what are they for? 

And I noticed, it's hard to keep track of my locations. Is there a way to keep track of certain places so you can go back to them?

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Originally posted by CrueKnight

And I noticed, it's hard to keep track of my locations. Is there a way to keep track of certain places so you can go back to them?

right-click and bookmark location. Then it will show up in your "My Places" section when you right click on open space.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Locations can be added to your 'People and Places' panel to travel to or warp to later. If you want to mark the exact spot that you are at, open your People and Places panel, click the Places tab and then click the Add Bookmark button. It will give you a window where you can change the name of the bookmark  or add some extra notes and then you can save the location.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Wanna know what i did?
    I went to ombeve.co.uk, downloaded the map, and printed it out. Well, most of it, there are some regions which i haven't visited once to date.

Then i took a fine pencil and markers and added notes. You get a much better idea of where you are and what's around once you adapt that practice.

Furthermore, after having spread my assets over half of new eden, i once just consolidated everything into two places on the map. It helps a lot. I have a base in highsec in case i ever have to move out of 0.0, and a base in 0.0 with most of my assets. Everything i need is within a few jumps around those two bases.

• BluefixBluefix Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I must say that the tutorial actually sucked me in and presented me with a coherent starting point from which to get into the game.  My previous attempts to start the game felt like: "Here's your crappy starter ship and the unfathomable vastness of space.  You will die. Enjoy".  I honestly don't know if they redesigned the starter tutorial since I last tried, or if the time was just right for me to jump in.  Either way, I am in and have worked through the first 10 Military profession tutorials.  It was quite fun.

The tutorial has indeed been redesigned completely. I haven't tried the new one myself, but everything I hear supports that it's much better as you have experienced.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

Furthermore, after having spread my assets over half of new eden, i once just consolidated everything into two places on the map. It helps a lot. I have a base in highsec in case i ever have to move out of 0.0, and a base in 0.0 with most of my assets. Everything i need is within a few jumps around those two bases.

Stuff in over 80 stations crew checking in. I did tidy up all my stuff in The Forge, though... took about 2 hours and added about 80-90 mill to my wallet. It's amazing how much junk one accumulates - especially when one has the habit of buying stuff while drunk as hell.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I agree. EVE isn't for everybody. But it's perfect for me as I am playing to take a break from my First Person Shooter games... like L4D2. 
    So anyways, over 50, 000 planets! Thats pretty cool. But what are they for? 

Currently planets aren't really 'for' anything except as permanent locations in space.

But. The next expansion in the first half of this year will add planetary interaction, which will be a kind of sim-cityish resource generation thing, and will set the stage for the launch of the Dust514 console MMOFPS which will be set on those developed planets (and the development that EvE players dictate on their planets will actually create the maps for the Dust players) for the control of individual planetary sectors.

The second expansion next year will be Incarna, which is the long awaited opportunity for us to actually step out of our pods and do stuff in stations.

So there is plenty of cool stuff yet to come.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Yea from what i understand is that right now planets are just there to look pretty [which they do quite well now]. Soon tho it seems we will be able to collonise planets which I hear will involve building the colony and transporting colonists there who will mine for you and produce goods. You will also need to defend such worlds tho How exactly this is all due to work has yet to be shown by CCP tho the new Dust game for consoles provide a good clue.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ChlodwigChlodwig Member Posts: 150
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Stuff in over 80 stations crew checking in. I did tidy up all my stuff in The Forge, though... took about 2 hours and added about 80-90 mill to my wallet. It's amazing how much junk one accumulates - especially when one has the habit of buying stuff while drunk as hell.

Hell yeah... when moving your stuff takes three trips with a 'lisk, you start to ponder whether your packrat approach to playing is the right one. :)