Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG requiring skill

LorxenLorxen Member Posts: 3

Hey guys, I'm currently looking of an mmorpg that actually requires skill, that's not that much level and gear-based but more about your own skill. I already played Mabinogi and Guild Wars, but I got tired of those after playing for a few years. I'm thinking about EVE atm.

Comments

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Lorxen

Hey guys, I'm currently looking of an mmorpg that actually requires skill, that's not that much level and gear-based but more about your own skill. I already played Mabinogi and Guild Wars, but I got tired of those after playing for a few years. I'm thinking about EVE atm.

This game takes skill points not player skill...

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• SouldivideSouldivide Member Posts: 10

I would recommend Darkfall there is alot of people that post bad stuff about it, but its mostly rabid trolls that are going to every forum on this site and knocking games. It is a very fun game I find it highly addicting, there are so many things to do and you can be almost anything you want. The game does take a great bit of skill since it is a primarily pvp game, no situation will ever be the same since there are no instances and all combat is in an open world. You really get your moneys worth with this game, sure there are a few cons.. quests are pretty boring and they have been working on the ai of monsters and they have gotten alot better.

• Loveless12Loveless12 Member UncommonPosts: 37

I also recommend darkfall.

nothing beats Soloing,getting jumped by 4 enemy Players,and Winning,Purely because of skill ( or rather in some cases,Environment+tactics).

However,Aventurine screwed me over,but i JUST resubbed.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Fallen Earth takes an incredible amount of skill and planning, despite that I have a huge grudge against parts of the game's design.

Darkfall is a ganker's game, ffs.

I'd look into the Chronicles of Spellborn.

I agree with you,and there are also NO DECENT PVPERS par 2 people on the whole of Darkfall.

My plan was to get more xD, but Darkfall is taking a step in the right direction par Player housing.

Also,fallen earth blew hard Right from Alpha,through to release.

Global Agenda is fun,but...Meh, Ive had an Alpha account since November 2007,and i just burned myself out on it.

Originally posted by Loveless12

I agree with you,and there are also NO DECENT PVPERS par 2 people on the whole of Darkfall.
    My plan was to get more xD, but Darkfall is taking a step in the right direction par Player housing.

Also,fallen earth blew hard Right from Alpha,through to release.

Global Agenda is fun,but...Meh, Ive had an Alpha account since November 2007,and i just burned myself out on it.

Darkfall's community as a whole is almost on par with that of Runescape...maybe...I dunno if I can even give them that much credit just yet.

Fallen Earth blew hard in alpha. They're making great progress, I have to say. However, I have to admit, as an alpha and beta tester for that game, I am totally heartbroken that they never chose a direction and stuck with it and they have broken the PvP component so badly by wanting a themepark environment (which they broke with such a heavy emphasis on crafting), as well as a sandbox environment.

Global Agenda's PvE component looks like shite and everything in that game looks instanced as all hell. I'd almost compare it to Huxley, if anyone remembers the "Huxley is no MMORPG" debate. I give them credit for the graphics. However, that's where the credit ends.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466
    Originally posted by ozy1

This game takes skill points not player skill...

Darkfall takes hours and days of grinding skills and money to even be able to survive against a semi-established character.  At least in Eve you don't have to spend those mind-numbing hours sitting in front of the computer to get to that point.

Yeah darkfalls com Sucks, but i was lucky enough to get in with a group of 20 friends and get a clan going.

global agenda has instances,but also has a FreeRoam Section,so its just one giant world constantly changing as your Agency takes strategic Points around the World Map.

Only tested Freeroam twice,but my god,they were fun.

Shame im playing none except Darkfall maybe...2 hours a day.

Im still playing Phantasy star Universe for the xbox 360 Lol.

AH! Just remembered.

http://quelsolaar.com/

The PvE component is insanely tough if you and your settlement are doing well for yourselves. It auto-scales.

No word on a PvP component yet, but it's still in alpha and beta is just a matter of weeks away. =D

I wouldn't play just yet, wait for beta, but when beta hits, it'll be epic, I'm sure. ;)

• LorxenLorxen Member Posts: 3

Global Agenda is a mmo third person shooter : / not really a mmorpg

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I assume you are talking about a PvP oriented MMORPG and in that case I say either DFO or Chronicles of Spellborn.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

If you can handle its age, Endless Ages just entered open beta for what's got to be its third release today.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

global agenda if you dont like gear dependency, grinding and zerging. and if you like sci fi concepts like fighting/controlling giant mechs and droids as well as other players. pve in the game is excellent. there are alpha and beta testers who will subscribe just for the pve content, which isnt even the emphasis of the game. and they will keep adding tons more. it's not a fantasy mmo in which you get to explore lush grasslands, shores and mountains. but it's still an mmo with progression, detailed customization and persistency (something only a few mmo's have).

i dont know how you define skill, but for me "skill" in a game means good eye-brain-hand coordination. while GA is a third person shooter, it plays exactly like a FPS and you need to aim to do everything. i mostly like the fact that it's a no grind, no gear dependency game. the pvp is also very nicely structured, so you wont ever be struggling to find action/teams/agencies. try not to listen to the uninformed on these forums without at least checking out the site; ive no idea what theyre going off of. everyone who tested the game loved it. there MAY not be enough content in it to keep a power gamer satisfied for too long though. moderation is always helpful =)

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

"an mmorpg that actually requires skill, that's not that much level and gear-based"

Stop recommending Darkfall for this certain guy - it will take him quite a while to be competitive with the everyone in DFO because of stat/skill gains in order to be able to do squat in pvp and he's not looking for that... you can honestly hit cap in most linear leveling mmos before you get competitive skill/stat wise in DFO. It's still a good/interesting game - but it's highly level based (just the levels are in forms of stats/skills).

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

You are essentially describing Battlefield Europe: World War II Online.  The game is 90% skill. There is virtually no levels or gear to acquire.  You will have to rank your soldier a bit to access some equipment, but said equipment is neither required nor necessary to be successful. Plenty of veteran players still use the Rifle which is the weapon you have at start (along with a few others).  If you are skilled and patient, you can be deadly with the Rifle.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

I too am bored of Mabinogi and Guild Wars. They both do take a lot of skill. Mabi makes you think of which skill to use and when. Guild Wars is about making a build and using it well. EVE is more of how much time you spend on it, and less on skill. Darkfall is a pretty good choice, but you'll need a few months before being good in PVP. Also, there's Fallen Earth, which sounds like what you want, yet I've never played. There's Mortal Online too, but I personally don't like it at all.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm not sure what you exactly mean with "requiring skill". Do you mean difficult combat? Then it's not a MMORPG what you look for. If the combat would be difficult, the players would die often, stop playing, and the company would stop making money. You'd then rather look for an FPS or something.

If you mean with "requiring skill" that it requires thought and planning? Well... then you can already rule out all MMORPGs where you can reset your talents or whatever you spent points at. If you can reset the stuff whenever you want to, it definately does not require planning or thinking. The only MMORPG I played where you had to plan some in front and couldn't reset your stuff is FE.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

What do you mean by "requiring skill?" Do you mean twitch skill which is based on your motor reflexes? Do you mean tactical or strategic skill, where you need to be wily or cunning?

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• uhjpaeuhjpae Member Posts: 165

Maybe you should try Atlantica Online since it's a turn based mmorpg and you control up to 9 mercenaries. It's a game where strategy > level/gear.

Happy holidays everyone!

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

Darkfall = player skill after a few months of lvling skillz up.

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• RichyRichyRichyRichy Member Posts: 3

I'm going to have to go with Darkfall. And maybe Mortal online... Never played it before though. In Darkfall basically you can get your nooby armor and you could just go and kill ANYONE. I mean ANYONE. Even without armor you could take down a person with full armor, yes it is hard but not impossible! Your timing, has to be perfect, there are various tactics in the game and unlike most of the other mmos you have to aim to shoot arrows or magic.

Originally posted by RichyRichy

I'm going to have to go with Darkfall. And maybe Mortal online... Never played it before though. In Darkfall basically you can get your nooby armor and you could just go and kill ANYONE. I mean ANYONE. Even without armor you could take down a person with full armor, yes it is hard but not impossible! Your timing, has to be perfect, there are various tactics in the game and unlike most of the other mmos you have to aim to shoot arrows or magic.

Ay yi yi. DF is like playing a normal MMO except you can miss. =P

And NO, you can NOT jump in the game and expect to kill anyone. It takes months of skilling up to be competitive as I'm sure others have said.

Here's my comparison for spellcasting in DF: Magestorm.

That should say enough right there.

I'd have to say Face of Mankind >>>>>>> Darkfall if you want to jump in and have some PvP action right off the bat.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

I am shocked no one has mentioned Planetside yet.

Tactics and skill is involved yes there is also lots of door spam but I am talking lone people taking down BFRs etc and not following the mindless zergs.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Just got back from playing The Chronicles of Spellborn for the first time. I highly recommend this game based on my impression. I think this is quite possibly the best combat system I've seen in an MMORPG and it definitely takes skill. You have to set up your moves on several different bars, and every time you use a move on one bar it rotates to another bar where you have to use a different skill. You also have to actually aim, move, block, etc. Just roll on a PvP server, and I believe there is open world PvP in most places in the world along with arena.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

Originally posted by Woopin

I am shocked no one has mentioned Planetside yet.
    Tactics and skill is involved yes there is also lots of door spam but I am talking lone people taking down BFRs etc and not following the mindless zergs.

I heard Sony screwed PS over with the whole Core Combat expansion so I've shied away from it as I don't think I'd find many there anymore, and given I never heard of a PvE aspect that ever actually made it in game, it would be detrimental to the game to have a small population, would it not?