Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Leonard Nimoy to Voice Game Intro

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Leonard Nimoy, aka Spock Prime, will voice Star Trek Online's introduction, as well as several key in-game scenes according to an announcement just released by Atari & Cryptic Studios.

Nimoy on his involvement with Star Trek Online:

"I am happy to be involved with Star Trek Online. In this game, the essence of Star Trek – exploration and adventure – lives long and prospers," said Nimoy. "I'm pleased that a whole new generation of fans will be able to discover new frontiers in the Star Trek universe."

Much like the previous behind-the-scenes video with Zachary Quinto, Atari and Cryptic Studios have provided us with a new video featuring a behind-the-scenes look at a voice-recording session with Leonard Nimoy. View it here!

What do you think about both new and old Spock's involvement with Star Trek Online? Let us know in the comments below!

UPDATE: We appear to be having sound issues with the video, so we have taken it down until we can resolve the problem.

Comments

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Cant have too much Spock. I think this is a great addition. As time goes by would be nice to hear from other Trek icons as well.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Rather the old Spock than the new. 

I watched the Starbase 24 trailer where the new Spock voice overs it and wasn't impressed.  Lot of the new younger actors all sound cookie cutter made so I got nothing special from having him talk than I would listening to some random studio guy.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Leondard Nimoy voice > Zachary Quinto voice.  Quinto just sounds like average joe, he has no presence or command in his voice.  When Nimoy talks, you stop and listen.  When I heard Quinto doing an intro to Trek Online I just cringed, so this Nimoy doing it makes me very happy.

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42

Shatner is too busy doing Boston Legal and I think he's washed his hands of all things Star Trek. Nimoy is true to the franchise though..always has been. And you can blast Quinto if you like but that was a behind the scenes voiceover session, you're allowed to goof around and be non-vulcan between takes. I enjoyed his young Spock in the new movie and Nimoy probably did too.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Terranah

Leondard Nimoy voice > Zachary Quinto voice.  Quinto just sounds like average joe, he has no presence or command in his voice.  When Nimoy talks, you stop and listen.  When I heard Quinto doing an intro to Trek Online I just cringed, so this Nimoy doing it makes me very happy.

I agree. Some ppl have really memorable voices, and Nimoy sure has one, as does Patrick Steward. Quinto isnt a bad Spock, but he has no remarkable voice.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Elikal

I agree. Some ppl have really memorable voices, and Nimoy sure has one, as does Patrick Steward. Quinto isnt a bad Spock, but he has no remarkable voice.

If Quinto well ever get rid of his lisp he might do OK

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Quinto had some big shoes to fill and as the movie proved , at least to me, some things are better left alone.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by moraelin
     Shatner is too busy doing Boston Legal and I think he's washed his hands of all things Star Trek. Nimoy is true to the franchise though..always has been. And you can blast Quinto if you like but that was a behind the scenes voiceover session, you're allowed to goof around and be non-vulcan between takes. I enjoyed his young Spock in the new movie and Nimoy probably did too.

Shatner hasn't washed his hands of Star Trek, he just hasn't done much acting wise. His latest effort in the IP was the book Star Trek: The Academy—Collision Course, 2007
    Just thought I'd share. I think they use Spock because even during the classic show, he was the more popular character, getting tons of fan mail. Nimoy joked once about the sibling rivalry between him and Shatner on the show.

• gurvy1gurvy1 Member Posts: 2

Leonard Nimoy has been acting for how many more years?? same with Patrick Stewart.  If Quinto has a long career like those to his voice will be what our children remember has being "remarkable" or "legendary"  as we do those two Icons of Trek.

DP

Originally posted by gurvy1

Leonard Nimoy has been acting for how many more years?? same with Patrick Stewart.  If Quinto has a long career like those to his voice will be what our children remember has being "remarkable" or "legendary"  as we do those two Icons of Trek.

Maybe, someday. For now he is a nobody enjoying his 15 minutes. How many more what if scenarios will be made with him portraying Spock? Hopefully no more.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Cant have too much Spock. I think this is a great addition. As time goes by would be nice to hear from other Trek icons as well.

I am with you on that,  lets get some Zulu in there :)

• CladhopperCladhopper Member UncommonPosts: 30

I would say give it time. That command type of voice comes with time and experence. Id give him more time to muture int he role.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

Finally, the actual one and only spock.  As for 15 minutes of fame boy all the ones in the new show have less than rememable voices.  While  the actors and actresses in the other version had presense.  If you did not tell me it was the new spock doing starbase 24 I would not have known.  While if it had been Riker or Data I would have.  Would be nice if they had Majel Barrett doing the computer voices.  Yes I know she passed away  just it is hard to think of anyone else doing the computers voice.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Some people just have a certain gravitas in thier voice that others don't and won't ever develop. Quinto did an ok job as Spock in the new movie...but I'd never pick him as a narrator for anything dramatic. Nimoy on the other hand has a unique quality of voice that really makes him an awesome narrator...he truely is the voice of Trek.  This is one decision that Cryptic actualy got right.

In my book Nimoy ranks right up there with Orson Wells and James Earl Jones for narrators. Patrick Stewart also has an excellent command of voice.  I liked the new movie well enough....but I don't think there was really anyone in there that remotely approaches that kind of gravitas or stage presence.

On the contrary, I absolutely HATED the Next Generation series...but there is absolutely no question in my mind that Stewart was a top notch actor.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Some people just have a certain gravitas in thier voice that others don't and won't ever develop. Quinto did an ok job as Spock in the new movie...but I'd never pick him as a narrator for anything dramatic. Nimoy on the other hand has a unique quality of voice that really makes him an awesome narrator...he truely is the voice of Trek.  This is one decision that Cryptic actualy got right.
    In my book Nimoy ranks right up there with Orson Wells and James Earl Jones for narrators. Patrick Stewart also has an excellent command of voice.  I liked the new movie well enough....but I don't think there was really anyone in there that remotely approaches that kind of gravitas or stage presence.
    On the contrary, I absolutely HATED the Next Generation series...but there is absolutely no question in my mind that Stewart was a top notch actor.

Two other fine speaking voices - the late Richard Burton and Frank Langella.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Two other fine speaking voices - the late Richard Burton and Frank Langella.

If not for his camp presences Adam West has a unique and wonderful voice, as well.