Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does the Wii lack RPG games?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

why does the Wii lack RPG games?

Gamecube also had a large share of RPG that were lame, but at least they was better then this age of Nintendo games.

what has happened?

Didnt Nintendo say they wanted to break free of their old flawed gameing Logic with the Wii, and add more 3rd party action. But Nintendo still seem to target the baby gamer.

Once the PS3 and 360 get their new motion controll in play, there will be no reason to even get a Wii anymore. Nintendo once again failled to deliver.

Comments

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

The only console that has a target audience that largely plays RPGs is sony, and nintendo knows it.

Why develop RPGs for the wii? Waste of time when most of your console owners are young children, adults, females(no sexism meant) and not "oldschool" gamers that grew up playing RPGs and still find them interesting. They'd rather play an FPS or a hack n slash.

Just my 2 cents.

For the record, the only "next gen" console I own is ps3, and I bought it because I wanted to play MGS4. I find consoles rather stale/lackluster since mid-gen PS2.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Yea i too was wondering about this. True there are some comming out next year but it has certainly taken a while.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• mothelmmothelm Member Posts: 40

Simple nintendo has always and always will be focus on younger players....its thier niche....i gave up on them after the nintendo 64

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by tro44_1
    why does the Wii lack RPG games?

Because the Wii is a toy...?

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by mothelm

Simple nintendo has always and always will be focus on younger players....its thier niche....i gave up on them after the nintendo 64

You're WAY off here. Wii has BEER PONG!

• vinwieselvinwiesel Member Posts: 114

Wouldn't zelda be considered and rpg?

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Simply because the Wii is a type of platform thought for other type of games. Family/Casual

I think Nintendo forgot it's past as a great RPG platform provider. Even DS wich has some RPG titles is miles away from what Nintendo consoles used to be.

Ive played great RPG's on my Gameboy Advance

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by vinwiesel

Wouldn't zelda be considered and rpg?

Only in the same sense as counter-strike is a roleplay of counter-terrorism. For you see, to be classed as an RPG, in my mind at least, a game has to provide some depth beyond something a child would find entertaining. A character development system a bit more complex then unlocking another 'weapon' and a game progression beyond a hallway with a colorful door at the end. And while by no means is that a good analogy, I am in no mood to elaborate. The reasonable reader understands my point.

- Shijeer 

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

nintendo is the worst video game company ever

i dont' know why anyone over 10 would play their systems

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by GetViolated

I do not own a Wii but I do have a Gamecube and Metroid Prime and MP Echoes are great games. I also enjoy the Zelda bonus disc especially Ocarina of Time. All of these games can be played on the Wii as well  More on topic,  as stated above, Sony pretty much has control of that market. The PS2 library is huge and RPG's are a big part of it.

• Originally posted by GetViolated

I would say thats a little harsh. The Wii is more of a social system if anything, and by social i mean people actually getting together and playing.  No other system forces that as much as the Wii, and that aspect it does well.

Zelda is an adventure game not an RPG.

Generally the system is not aimed at the hardcore, as that market has already been swallowed up my xbox and PS.  Everything has a place, and obviously they did something right with the Wii.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The Wii is for families, and when you've had a few beers etc, you can have a good laugh with your mates when you play it, its not serious, its just fun, and with wii fit, it even tells you how out of shape you are! Nintendo pulled a blinder to be honest, they created the Wow of consoles, even better they did it on the cheap... which meant when all the other consoles are selling at a substantial loss, Nintendo were printing the stuff, even better, right out of the box they have an in built wireless which means they can connect to wireless routers and gain internet access, facebook on Wii, is it any wonder that so many women and children use it? keeps them from pestering to use the pc anyway

• KingScarKingScar Member Posts: 70

Because,Wii is the worst,most over rated system in the world! Do you honestly know what a Wii pretty much is. Nintendo hadn't put a system out in awhile. They said,"well we're losing money,FAST! We need a system that will put us back on the map."  So,out comes the Wii which,all it is,is a Nintendo GameCube system put into a different shell. That's it. AND not only did they pretty much rip people off who bought the Wii,IT HAS WORSE GRAPHICS THEN THE OLD GAMECUBE! I mean seriously,ANYONE who wastes their money on a Wii,it's their choice but,they're a complete fool in my book.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by KingScar

Because,Wii is the worst,most over rated system in the world! Do you honestly know what a Wii pretty much is. Nintendo hadn't put a system out in awhile. They said,"well we're losing money,FAST! We need a system that will put us back on the map."  So,out comes the Wii which,all it is,is a Nintendo GameCube system put into a different shell. That's it. AND not only did they pretty much rip people off who bought the Wii,IT HAS WORSE GRAPHICS THEN THE OLD GAMECUBE! I mean seriously,ANYONE who wastes their money on a Wii,it's their choice but,they're a complete fool in my book.

This post is sheer nonsense. Just because you don't like the system doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. Nintendo decided to target the more casual gamer rather than the stereotypical testosterone-dripping teenager/tweenager demographic that Sony and Microsoft did, and it's paid off tremendously. I don't own any of the consoles, but despite the Wii's lack in my favorite genre (RPGs), it would be the one I would purchase if I did.

Graphics aren't everything. People buy the Wii because it's FUN, not because it can look like an interactive movie. If you prefer pretty pictures over fun, well ... :)

<3

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

thought its hard to deny that its nothing more then a gimick, i havent seriously played anything of high calabir that takes full advantage of what the can do, everything big uses just the bare minimum. The wii truely is a gamecube, the whole motion thing was supposed to be an add-on for GC, but they scrapped it and made it  its own thing. They got the idea from one of the worst Nintendo accessorys ever...the power glove. Its basicly that minus the glove. If your a hardcore gamer or someone who grew up gaming (even on Nintendos platforms) this was not the system for you, its for everyone else and thats technically the bigger market.  As long as they stop Lieing to us every E3 about them having alot for us hardcore, then id just completely accept them as a casual gamers system and never buy them again.

On the other hand, look at the DS. Though its not as powerful as the PSP, it still has a MUCH better line up of games for everyone, tons of HC games, casual, RPG..ect. Il always pick up their next handheld because they somehow know exactly what to do there. 

So to sit there and say they suck....well its not true, they suck if you judge them as a normal/HC gamer just off Wii, but if you judge them as a whole and for what they are appealing to, they are doing just fine.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

You also have to remember a lot of RPG makers (and some other major title developers) gave up on Nintendo due to thier odd choices in media. These development teams and game designers wanted to take advantage of the current technology availible, allowing them to make bigger and more grand games.

Now Nintendo is aiming more toward a younger audience and more family friendly 'Play together' titles with more emphasis on getting up and moving rather than sitting back and vegging out with a controller in your hand. More and more RPG titles are going for the T or M Rating, while Nintendo is trying to keep their games T and below.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

Originally posted by KingScar

This post is sheer nonsense. Just because you don't like the system doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. Nintendo decided to target the more casual gamer rather than the stereotypical testosterone-dripping teenager/tweenager demographic that Sony and Microsoft did, and it's paid off tremendously. I don't own any of the consoles, but despite the Wii's lack in my favorite genre (RPGs), it would be the one I would purchase if I did.

Graphics aren't everything. People buy the Wii because it's FUN, not because it can look like an interactive movie. If you prefer pretty pictures over fun, well ... :)

The Wii is a fun system for what its designed for. I mean if you play it by yourself you miss 90% of the fun, and thats why a lot of people tend not to like it (most being used to sitting alone with their console most of the time).

The only thing I will say is the Wii is a dangerous system in the hands of the drunk (like my friends) or the clumsy (like my girlfriend).

I mean, have you ever tried to explain to a doctor that you broke your nose playing Smash Bros, as my friend Cory had done, or explained to the dentist that your girl friend chipped your tooth with a Wii mote while playing Wii Sports?

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• stinger7491stinger7491 Member Posts: 21

The WII is a pathetic excuse for a system. i feel m calculator can handle more then that piece of junk. Nintendo thought a lightweight system targeted at practically everyone would work.. Don't bother using your wii for anything other than supersmash bros, zelda and wii sports stuff..u want rpg games? ps3,pc,and a 360 are all better alternatives.. hell DS has better games than Wii..

nintendo the company, i've never been a fan of, but they can make some good games WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT.. The Wii system however.. is a terrible let down, a weak system and should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as ps3 and 360. Not b/c i personally  hate it, but b/c its more like a family oriented board game thing than a hardcore system..

I'm actually excited for their handhelds tho.. although i wish they would step up teh graphics and screen size a bit.. i want a decent hand held that i can see not a cellphone sized accessory.

Originally posted by stinger7491

The WII is a pathetic excuse for a system. i feel m calculator can handle more then that piece of junk. Nintendo thought a lightweight system targeted at practically everyone would work.. Don't bother using your wii for anything other than supersmash bros, zelda and wii sports stuff..u want rpg games? ps3,pc,and a 360 are all better alternatives.. hell DS has better games than Wii..
    nintendo the company, i've never been a fan of, but they can make some good games WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT.. The Wii system however.. is a terrible let down, a weak system and should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as ps3 and 360. Not b/c i personally  hate it, but b/c its more like a family oriented board game thing than a hardcore system..
    I'm actually excited for their handhelds tho.. although i wish they would step up teh graphics and screen size a bit.. i want a decent hand held that i can see not a cellphone sized accessory.

Nintendo thought targeting everyone would work? Is that what you said? Looking at Wii sales and considering the Xbox failure rate, I would say the Wii did work.

• stinger7491stinger7491 Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

Nintendo thought targeting everyone would work? Is that what you said? Looking at Wii sales and considering the Xbox failure rate, I would say the Wii did work.

Yes, that's what i said you quoted me.. What are you gunna punch me now? What's your definition of work? Sucess? sales? well yea then it did work.. i personally almost never talk about success and talk more about what the system does for people such as myself, and the mmorpg community specifically in this thread.. So lets say im talking about nintendo's appeal to mature, hardcore gamers, or any person interested in a solid game.. Nintendo fails with the Wii..

I have to beleive that most of it's oriental sales are heavily stemmed off of fanboyisms.. Athough it is my fault for using the wrong words and assuming everyone knows what i mean, and i do apologize, i think people here in general need to stop looking at someones words with a narrow mind. My opinion on the Wii working still stands.. Nintendo's targetting of everyone WORKED forSALES.. but the WII does not work as a SYSTEM

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I have two issues with the wii....

1. Wont let you play DVD's unless you mod it

2. @ £170 its a bit pricey for what is a low spec machine with an intel cpu and ati gfx, but then again the DSi is pricey too @ £140 .. nintendo are the Apple Mac of console.. you pay more for the brand than the item.

Other than that its a great social machine, this xmas I bought my parents "brain academy" (yes my parents gaed 62 own a games console) and on xmas day most of my family were in the front room playing the game TOGETHER, cannot do that with a PS3 or Xbox.

• TweejTweej Member UncommonPosts: 115

Whatever you say about Nintendo, they make people who wouldnt normally buy a console/handheld console buy them...

My Mum got a DS for xmas, most non-gamer adults i know now own a Wii or a DS... They were never gonna buy an Xbox or a PS3... never in a million years... thats finding a market that previously wasnt tapped.

Personally i will stick to Xbox/PS3 and PC for my gaming needs as there more aimed towards me...

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Yes, that's what i said you quoted me.. What are you gunna punch me now? What's your definition of work? Sucess? sales? well yea then it did work.. i personally almost never talk about success and talk more about what the system does for people such as myself, and the mmorpg community specifically in this thread.. So lets say im talking about nintendo's appeal to mature, hardcore gamers, or any person interested in a solid game.. Nintendo fails with the Wii..

I have to beleive that most of it's oriental sales are heavily stemmed off of fanboyisms.. Athough it is my fault for using the wrong words and assuming everyone knows what i mean, and i do apologize, i think people here in general need to stop looking at someones words with a narrow mind. My opinion on the Wii working still stands.. Nintendo's targetting of everyone WORKED forSALES.. but the WII does not work as a SYSTEM

So now, "Wii does not work as a system".  Yes it does work for those who want that type of system and wants to play those types of games and works quite well. In fact, better than the Xbox or PS3 as for reliability. I do not own a Wii because the game library doesnt interest me but to say the system doesnt work is not a good argument. Maybe it doesnt work for you would be a more accurate statement.

• drevilmandrevilman Member Posts: 2

really the wii is a system ok graphichs games are more targeted for group fun. game varity lacks shooters rpgs and sports games wii sports and  wii resort dont have NHL NBA NFL games witch are fun sports games. i dont play my wii but i knew nintendo did make money off of the wii. i still dislike the wii but i dont hate it.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Before the Wii and the DS came out Nintendo was a dying company. Its gamecube had bombed and ts competators were taking over. The way nintendo saved themselves worked out pretty well in the end, first they released a new revamped handheld that worked with a wide range of games, then they released the wii which was a relativly cheap console with a new controll system that worked pretty well.

Overal nintendo did quite well wit the Wii.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981