Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new F2P MMO

tsuranotsurano Member Posts: 52

Pretty generic title, but at least it filters out a lot of games.

I am currently looking for a F2P MMO that isn't too cash shop heavy and requires some amount of skill to play.  I'm tired of games where I just click and kill monsters/players.  Examples of point and click/kill games are WoW, Runescape, etc.  Games of the type I am looking for are (don't know any P2P ones) :

AirRivals (Flysis/Ace Online/Phi Doi/Space Cowboy) where it took some amount of skill to PvE and PvP and get around

Exteel/Gunz, but I would prefer one without the whole lobby system.

An MMOFPS would be fine, as long as it doesn't have a lobby system.  I feel those break up the gameplay and feel less immersive.  I've played Dungeon Fighters Online, but didn't really like the button mashing sense of it.

I prefer Sci-Fi games, but fantasy and other genres are more than fine.  Just looking for a new game to play with my cousin and brother since we have a month and a half off from school.

Games we've played:

Runescape

Conquer Online

AirRivals

Exteel

Gunz

RF Online

2Moons

RAN Online

9 Dragons

DOMO

FlyFF

Hero Online

Karos Online

Lunia

Mabinogi

Perfect World

Rappelz

ROSE

SUN

Twelve Sky

World of Kungfu

Grand Chase

Game I'm looking for pretty much requires manual aiming instead of locking onto a target and just spamming buttons or clicking on it to whack it with a sword. Gunz, Exteel and AirRivals all fit that description, but Exteel/Gunz have the lobby system and AirRivals is getting too cash shop heavy with the new patch.  I'm willing to try just about everything.

Thank You.

-edit-

Games that I enjoyed from the list:

Conquer Online:

Might get me flamed, but Conquer Online was enjoyable before TQ Digital ruined it.  Back before they made it "Free to play, pay to win" and made buying from the item shop almost a requirement to get anywhere, Conquer was a good game.  The PvP system is among my favorites.  Open PvP with good consequences for PKing.  The PvP system was also pretty good in terms of skill.  Since players could jump (game gets made fun of for this) they could dodge physical attacks and the only real way to kill a player as a melee class was with a ranged physical attack.  This required timing, aim and dodging ability. My brother was capable of taking out other players with much better equipment due to him being more proficient than them.

AirRivals (Flysis/Phi Doi/Ace Online/Space Cowboy):

It required skill to grind.  Having (almost) complete control over an airplane made PvP and PvE fun.  The game was all about timing and a steady hand.  Equipment and levels had a lot to do with killing ability, but if you were a bad pilot you could get killed by someone much lower level and worse equipped (I as a level 70 Bgear almost died to a level 40 Igear).  The game is going in a direction where players who don't sink large amounts of money into it will be left behind.

Gunz/Exteel

Two games that I played for a bit, but found quite enjoyable.  I am a PvP junkie and am not really into arena based, duel based or instanced PvP, however Gunz and Exteel made it enjoyable.  I like the idea of a fast paced game where it pretty much comes down to instinct rather than thinking.  You know where you have to run, what you have to aim at, who you have to heal without thinking about it.  The only problem with these games is that you go in for a match, play it to end, and then come out.  At the end of the day, I get a feeling of "what was the point of that".  The only reason you participate in matches in these games is to get higher level/more money and then you can participate in more matches.  Would be more fun if there was a reason behind all this.  A game like Gunz or Exteel that took place on one open map with goals, crafting, etc. would be my perfect game.

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Have you tried Chronicles of Spellborn? It's free for now. The devs are apparently going to be changing how it's setup later. It has decent graphics and gameplay.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• NearGodNearGod Member Posts: 23

I am currently looking to start up a newer Sci-fi Game once the servers come back in a fwe days called Face Of Mankind. Its got a cool theme and You also get to shoot guns or use knives ect. Only problem is it has a big learning curve and can seem boring in the first few days but its controlled by the players and can be really fun. I would give it a look it is in open beta.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Dungeons & Dragons is f2p now.

• tsuranotsurano Member Posts: 52

Chronicles of Spellborn and Dungeons and Dragons Online pretty much have the same combat (except D&D shows your roll).  Both seem a bit too slow paced for me and they are point and click minus the lock on part.  They are an improvement over the generic MMO though.  Face of Mankind doesn't really seem like it is PvP/PvE oriented, more of a social game and the combat seems like an afterthought.  FOM was Sci-Fi though, so that was a plus.  I might try it.

Thanks for the quick posts guys, I started playing Exteel again (not going to stick with it though) and as I said in my first post, a game like Exteel or Gunz online set in a persistent world and not a lobby/match setting would be perfect. (If there is one I would like to hear about it, even if it cost money).  

• drakandrakan Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by tsurano

Chronicles of Spellborn and Dungeons and Dragons Online pretty much have the same combat (except D&D shows your roll).  Both seem a bit too slow paced for me and they are point and click minus the lock on part.  They are an improvement over the generic MMO though.  Face of Mankind doesn't really seem like it is PvP/PvE oriented, more of a social game and the combat seems like an afterthought.  FOM was Sci-Fi though, so that was a plus.  I might try it.
    Thanks for the quick posts guys, I started playing Exteel again (not going to stick with it though) and as I said in my first post, a game like Exteel or Gunz online set in a persistent world and not a lobby/match setting would be perfect. (If there is one I would like to hear about it, even if it cost money).  

I know this is an MMO site, but you seem to be looking for FPS games ;)

Ever thought about trying something like Unreal Tournament 2004/UT3, Call of Duty 4, MW2, or even something like Borderlands/Fallout3?

The latter 4 all have unlockable achievements similar to MMO's, albeit not MMOs, they are online and against other players.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The only thing I can think of that you didn't list was Megaten. CS sucks a bit, but it's got combat like Mabinogi + pets.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• uhjpaeuhjpae Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by tsurano

Games we've played:

Runescape

Conquer Online

AirRivals

Exteel

Gunz

RF Online

2Moons

RAN Online

9 Dragons

DOMO

FlyFF

Hero Online

Karos Online

Lunia

Mabinogi

Perfect World

Rappelz

ROSE

SUN

Twelve Sky

World of Kungfu

I have tried most of the games you have said here and some of them I liked very much and others I didn't. Currently I'm playing Atlantica Online and Grand Chase. I will just suggest some games that I have tried that is not in your list.

Try these games and see if there's something you will like:

Cabal

Rohan

Dragonica

Grand Chase

Wonderking

Atlantica Online

• SmiterOfFoesSmiterOfFoes Member Posts: 23

You should try megaten. It's got a more active combat system, where you have to hit a button for every attack, dodge, counter, and block. The game is more about damage avoidance, since you can't attack while being hit.  It has a classless skill system, with melee, gun, and magic options, even having some chain skills that use multiple types.

Oops, forgot, I played Grand Chase also.

It is similar to DFO in terms of it being largely about pushing a lot of buttons very quickly.  I prefer fast paced games that require good timing and am looking for a good PvP system.

Cabal, Rohan, and Atlantica are all point and click (Cabal does have a nifty combo system, but it is still point and click at heart)

Looked up Wonderking and it is similar to the Grand Chase style of play.

Going to go back and edit my initial post.

-edit-

Saw SmiterOfFoes' post

MegaTen is still the point and click (lock target) combat of most games.  The fighting also seems pretty slow paced.

-edit (again)-

Looked around and stumbled on Global Agenda.  The subscription based portion of it sounds perfect, if there are any games like this that are free that would be the type of thing I am looking for.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

. . .Looked around and stumbled on Global Agenda.  The subscription based portion of it sounds perfect . . .

And therein lies the caveat.  You get what you pay for, especially with f2p games.  If the game has what you want, suck it up and get a sub when it comes out. 

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

I would have recommended DDO (I am absolutely in love with this game) but if you are a PvP junkie you might not like it, it is in the game but a huge after thought. I guess Chronicles of Spellborn is your game - it has combat like you are describing and there is more pvp from what I understand (there are PvP servers and there are 5 guilds you can join and you can freely attack people in the other guilds or duel with your guild mates). I would have loved to personally recommend Chronicles of Spellborn, but it kept freezing my computer when I tried to install </3 (I will probably try installing again during the weekend or something though still interested). MMOFPS without a lobby system? Well I was going to recommend AVA, but I guess that wouldn't work for you :3 it's my favorite f2p MMOFPS so far though :P 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

D D O

Originally posted by zeowyrm

. . .Looked around and stumbled on Global Agenda.  The subscription based portion of it sounds perfect . . .

And therein lies the caveat.  You get what you pay for, especially with f2p games.  If the game has what you want, suck it up and get a sub when it comes out. 

Problem is, I'm a college student with no income.  The game is something I want to play with my cousin and brother (both in the same situation) over our break (1.5 months off) Global Agenda comes out after we get off break, and I would rather not pay for something I won't be playing since schoolwork takes priority over games.

DDO & CoS seem a bit too slow paced for me.

-edit-

Drakan, I didn't see your post.

Yea, I am thinking an FPS would be a good fit for me, fast paced and requires more skill.  Only problem is that it feels strange breaking up the gameplay by going to a lobby every 5-10 minutes.  If there was an FPS that didn't have a lobby/match system it would be what I am looking for.  A typical MMO but fast paced like an FPS and similar controls to an FPS.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

WW2 ONLINE or the battlefield series maybe?