Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AION vs EQ2?

MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

So, I was downloading EQ2 for my free 30 days because the immersive factor dragged me back once again. I checked out EQ2flames and was reminding of the brutal AA grind in pvp(I only play pvp servers). I am downloading  Chronicles of Spellborn right now, but can anyone who has played AION and EQ2 compare them on these key issues:

Immersiveness

PVP

Grind

Thanks.

Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice.

Comments

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

For Aion, the pvp and pve are seperated for the most part.  All your pvp action will be in the abyss.  Most of your pve will be done on normal playfeild maps. EQ2's pve blows away Aion, in fact the pve in aion isnt very fun.  THis means you will most likely be grinding on one of 4 uber tiny "shards" in the abyss.  Theres more than 4 shards, all are very small, but youll be spending most your time on the shards that provide the best points and xp, which is limited.

Here is where you pvp will take place, in the form of ganks and zerg teams.  When no zerg is involved, you will usually be chasing you pvp opponent as they flee toward a safe area, unless it becomes clear quick that they will kill you first.

Flying around in the abyss looking for fresh meat is fun, but gets old very quick.  As does the grind.

The abyss fort seiges are: "as many people who want to do it" vs "as many people who want to do it".  Non instanced.  Sounds fun, but when everyone and their mother shows on both sides, well technology isnt there, and the game engin will provide people with the rig power to handle such a battle with constant memory leaks.  Then theres the latency issue, which i have never seen so terrible.  This is why most games limit seiges, its unplayable when its 300 vs 300 and you got randoms collecting resources and grinding nearby

So what till end up happening is youll go to the pve maps (be it too much lag to seige, or the enemy zerg is protecting the good shard to grind on) where youll be met with the same latency from the seige and bots bots bots.

Oh and look forward to one endgame raid boss (which both factions have to fight over)

That about sums up pvp in aion.

As compared to EQ2 pvp, i think its better, but imo Aion falls very short all together, at least EQ2 has some solid and enjoyable pve to fall back on.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

So, I was downloading EQ2 for my free 30 days because the immersive factor dragged me back once again. I checked out EQ2flames and was reminding of the brutal AA grind in pvp(I only play pvp servers). I am downloading  Chronicles of Spellborn right now, but can anyone who has played AION and EQ2 compare them on these key issues:

Immersiveness

PVP

Grind

Thanks.

mm pvp in eq2 is very harsh and brutal .and if you go neutral (wich lot of player do at end game

you will be in endless war

i dismiss grind since all mmo have grind,imersiveness,i think eq2 is better in term of emersiveness

take plate armor ,they look like they were done by a blacksmith and not by a molder from ibm or whats not

you can see the hammer where it it was bang together

and the expension of eq2 isnt far

pvp in aion is very nice .but i think aion might feel a bit grindy and short compared to eq2

eq2 is a grown up game couple play it RP player,not many kids if you see kids they are on trial

so if your an adult you wont get the rudness of wow and if you do you WILL be pushed back to you place in a hurry if your lucky

ignored by the whole community if your unlucky and even banned if you dont get the clue community

eq2 comunity is one of the closest knitted comunity i have see yet.

since its been as long a wow the starting area are mostly empty but dont sweat it there are lot of player

but like i say if you re less then 21 years old dont go in eq2 unless you like to be with adult

there are countless other game you can go aion is a good one

eq2 is an adult game most there have played countless game and often its a couple choice because wow

player has because so kiddy and rude it was go to another more adult mmo or leave from gaming forever

• graffix_75graffix_75 Member Posts: 25

I'm not sure whether you can really compare the 2 games, apples and oranges.

These are my thoughts however,

EQ2 is a very immersive, PvE oriented game with a good community, great lore, loads of content and plenty to do. You do have PvP but it's only restricted to PvP servers or the various Arenas on the PvE servers which are usually empty. If you enjoy questing, lore and a good storyline, you will enjoy EQ2

I got to lvl 23 in Aion so I cant really comment much on anything after that, except the fact that the reason I quit was because personally, it's just another Asian grinder with good graphics. A lot of the zones are setup like their on rails, literally, quest hubs going from point A, to point B, C, etc in a straight line, very linear gameplay.

Still, I do know people who enjoy Aion but a lot of the folks that I know who did play Aion have stopped playing for similar reasons.

Immseriveness - EQ2 hands down

Grind - Aion hands down

PvP - Not really sure

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

EQ2 is 10 times the game Aion is at this moment and when EQ2 adds PVP on all servers (huge PVP update coming feb 16th) it will probably be better than aion could ever be.

EQ2 is one of the best if not THE best MMO on the market, but morons don't play it because "omg its SOE!"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ravanos

when EQ2 adds PVP on all servers (huge PVP update coming feb 16th)

article from last week at massively

Cross Server Battlegrounds confirmed for EQ2

www.massively.com/2009/12/15/cross-server-pvp-battlegrounds-confirmed-for-everquest-ii/

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Ravanos

EQ2 is 10 times the game Aion is at this moment and when EQ2 adds PVP on all servers (huge PVP update coming feb 16th) it will probably be better than aion could ever be.

EQ2 is one of the best if not THE best MMO on the market, but morons don't play it because "omg its SOE!"

I agree. EQ2 has been a staple of mine for a long time. I do feel that it is starting to show its age and is a bit top heavy but there isnt a better  MMO on the market for lore and race/class selection.  As for Aion, 3 days in CB was enough for me to see it does nothing new.

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, this all might be a moot point,  because I still have 21 hours left and have been downloading this game for 3 days(10 hours a day) on a DSL connection and there seems to be no end in sight. My free month might be over by the time this crap is done.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by MMORPDEATH

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, this all might be a moot point,  because I still have 21 hours left and have been downloading this game for 3 days(10 hours a day) on a DSL connection and there seems to be no end in sight. My free month might be over by the time this crap is done.

It is rather large, 11,5 gb installation (or at least my directory say so). But something sounds weird, I got it down from scratch in 7 hours and I have a DSL too. That is the reason I use to back my folder up at times...

• MMORPDEATHMMORPDEATH Member Posts: 414

It used to be the same way for me! The only thing I can think of that has changed is that it comes with shadow odyssey now.