Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

School is too mechanical

It is overly structured and the conents of the academic excersises they get you to do are so plain, uninspired, boring and uninteresting. The worksheets as well are just so blandly written and anyone who is creative, there is no chance it could hold your interest for more than a paragraph of writing.

I feel as though I might as well have mec parts in my brain and body and just do the academic work for 9 hours a day and have no soul.

School helps you learn to put food on the table and hopefully get you a job when your finished in an area that you like and enjoy specializing in. So it helps you to be at a point where you can put food on the table and have a house, but those are somewhat primitive desires. But school doesn't teach you how to be human.

It is overly routine, it is machine like work, very mechanical and contrsictive.

Thank God I'm done with academic school

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I went to a Charter School for High School, very different then a standard school schedule.  Depending on the Charter School, you can get an incredible education at a faster pace that doesn't have the same problems as a traditional high school.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

Well not sure which kind of school or in what place you are referring to, but I think K-12 in the U.S. could be handled a hell of a lot better. Teach children the basic things they will need to know in life and for their academic foundation in the early years to middle years, as well as teaching foreign languages in the early years. Then let students really pick and choose from a wide variety of subjects on what they are interested in later to go along with what is required for postsecondary education. Teachers actually teaching the basic concepts and how things work.

But instead most of the k-12 I've witnessed anyway  is repeating the same things you learn from the beginning. You are taught some things about life in the beginning, but sex ed classes and life classes are usually saved for the later years. Generally teaching foreign language in the last years of school. In most schools you usually are very limited on what classes you can take even in the later years, so chances are you may find you are genuinely interested in something you could even do as a career, but no class or outlet for this passion available in school. Most teachers prompt you to memorize material to get good scores on tests instead of actually understanding what everything means. At the end of all those years you didn't learn as much as you could have, and most of what you did was busy work, repetition, and cramming for tests. 

The last public high school I went to in this state had a very high number of teenage moms. Maybe so many girls wouldn't have gotten knocked up in the early years of high school or later years of middle school if sex education was taught in elementary school instead of high school? And another thing in this state for college you usually have to have a couple years of foreign language, which once again isn't offered until the later years, and it's stupid anyway because if they do want you to be bilingual for some odd reason they need to teach you in the beginning of school like the rest of the world so it actually sticks. 

And while we are on the subject of the rest of the world why can't we just use the metric system already!? Ok I'm done ranting. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Meh' school is more efficient as a social playground than as any sort of practical education.

It gets the basics into you, but education is University, plain and simple.

Highschool is pretty much just a place to teach you how to deal with people :P

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I figured this out half way through high school.  I started to hate the way things were presented to me during lectures and I just stopped caring.  Toward the end I just did enough to get the hell out and never have to come back.  I decided at that point to become a Tradesperson.

I get to work with my hands, I get to build things, and due to my chosen profession I get to electrocute myself on a biweekly basis!  There's even creativity involved when figuring out how to proceed with a given task.  My apprenticeship is still considered continuing education and I still have to hit the college for theory classes but it's not nearly as much as some other things and quite a lot of it lets me put theory to practice right in the classroom.  Best of all it doesn't last that long... the class part and I'm back out on the job site working with my tools again.  I personally couldn't stand the idea of sitting in a classroom again listening to a professor go on and on...

The way I see it, I still get an education, great money, and respect that comes with the ability to fix things and make things work.  Also there's nothing like the personal satisfaction you get when you're done and you look back and know that everything works because of your effort and it's done right. 

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

WTHeck kinda school do you go to?

Only thing taught at public schools down here is standardized tests........

What you decribed would be a BIG step in the right Direction.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MrNeutralMrNeutral Member Posts: 2

This whole mechanical thing were doing it wrong too most schools out of north america have kids who know way more stuff then we do cause they all learn it earlier so i'm not going to go insult any foreigners for being stupid they're actually pretty smart it also helps that they know how to work hard lets face it most of us are procrastinators and dont really have too much care for our marks. but i like what sir conan doyle says bout it thru sherlock holmes

"You see," he explained, "I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones." 

source :http://kookaburra.typepad.com/weblog/2005/07/mind_like_an_at.html

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

You're feeling this way because you attend a government school. They simply exist to teach you enough "to be a good citizen", nothing more.

• OrthaosOrthaos Member Posts: 51

I was lucky, my family is rich enough that I was able to go to a really good private school. I learned a lot more than anyone at a public school, so that makes me smarter than them.

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241
    Originally posted by Orthaos

I was lucky, my family is rich enough that I was able to go to a really good private school. I learned a lot more than anyone at a public school, so that makes me smarter than them.

You think you're smarter than me? You, you with your bifocal glasses and your nose held up so high... well if you looked down at the little guy - - the guy far, way down below your heaps of money, you would see a person covered in envy, covered in jealousy, a person who wishes they had a chance to sip at the same cup as yours truly but never got the chance! We never chose this lifestyle, this system of living, we were entered into it at such a young age we didn't know what we were doin, why we were doin it.... I wish I had gone to your fancy private school where the women are as pretty as their knowledge of things you are interested in and the teachers care about ya, but I didn't! No, I went to a public school.... fine, say you're smarter than me, you probably deserve it, the gloating rights over us fools.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

It's not a perfect system, but from my own experiences, the more you put into it the more you get back. Instead of whining about having been bored, maybe you should've picked a couple of topics being discussed, done your own research on it, and then approached the teacher to discuss what you learned?

• ZeehyderZeehyder Member Posts: 3

School doesn't teach you on academics, but how you interact with other people also.. it's a community based and through this you can express who you are and what you are... the academics are necessary but more important is that you get to know yourself more because of your experiences.