Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I saw Avatar in 3D at midnight last night. The story itself is predictable and could've been a lot better, but visually... holy @*$%! It's one of the most visually creative and beautiful movies I've ever seen. The forest scenes especially were jaw-dropping. You know it's impressive when during the whole movie you can hear your buddies and strangers say things like "holy shit, that's awesome" and "oh my god, that's amazing".

The CG at times was spectacular. Only a few times my mind was distracted by obvious computer imagery. In fact, you know the CG is good when one of your buddies keeps saying "she is hawt" every time the main heroine has a scene (she is hawt btw).

I won't put any spoilers. I will highly recommend you see the movie in 3D if you can. The movie would still be gorgeous in 2D, but in 3D it's jaw-dropping.

Current: None
Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Going to see it in IMAX 3D tonight.

The story doesn't look very good, tbh, but I've never been to an IMAX 3D movie and I figured I couldn't have picked a better one.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

The characters and story were extremely predictable and cliche, however that does not excuse the fact it is the most visually (CGI-wise) impressive movie to date (the most visually impressive movies, without CGI are 2001: A Space Odyssey or Star Wars IV).

Me and my friends kept making comments about how the Na'vi are going to be the newest things with Furries, how the Colonal was acting like The Terminator and why aliens use the same mating patterns and genitalia (or as we could tell) as humans. Oh, and how Crysis still looks better (nothing can beat Crysis). Ah, good times at the movies.

Like I said, it was a 'fun' movie and extremely impressive - visually - but some parts were just too long and predictable for me to thoroughly enjoy it or watch again many times.

My favorite James Cameron film is still, easily:

It's intense throughout the whole film, the script is great (and hilarious with the one-liners) and just overall a really enjoyable and suspensful movie. You also see the actual aliens for about 30 minutes in the whole 3-hour movie, adding even more to the suspense.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Toxilium
    The characters and story were extremely predictable and cliche, however that does not excuse the fact it is the most visually (CGI-wise) impressive movie to date (the most visually impressive movies, without CGI are 2001: A Space Odyssey or Star Wars IV).
    Me and my friends kept making comments about how the Na'vi are going to be the newest things with Furries, how the Colonal was acting like The Terminator and why aliens use the same mating patterns and genitalia (or as we could tell) as humans. Oh, and how Crysis still looks better (nothing can beat Crysis). Ah, good times at the movies.
    Like I said, it was a 'fun' movie and extremely impressive - visually - but some parts were just too long and predictable for me to thoroughly enjoy it or watch again many times.
    My favorite James Cameron film is still, easily:
    It's intense throughout the whole film, the script is great (and hilarious with the one-liners) and just overall a really enjoyable and suspensful movie. You also see the actual aliens for about 30 minutes in the whole 3-hour movie, adding even more to the suspense.

Completely agree with this post 100%. Aliens still blows me away to this very day with awesomeness. Avatar, visually is just incredible, at least in 3D. After such a character driven piece as Titanic though, I have to wonder what happened since then? Avatar characters were shallow and the plot typical Hollywood liberal propaganda.

My hat is off to WETA digital, who did all the CGI for this. They deserve awards and they need to be hired for every upcoming true fantasy movie. Like the Wheel of Time movies.

• KB24FanKB24Fan Member Posts: 13

Yeah I decided I will definitely go watch Avatar this weekend - heard i

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Yep I've seen it in 3D - definitely not a  waste of money

?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

%¤#" &%¤ #"

I waited two days, but all the 3D screenings were sold out days ahead : (

So........i went and saw the 2d version.......awwwwwwwww

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

I thought it was great and did not think the story was that poor. Certinaly beats out Aliens and Titantic for me. Imo the characters in Titantic did not feel that great and well the story....the ship sinks. This was very intersting and I will most likely see it at least once maybe two more times for sure.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• ThrakkThrakk Member Posts: 1,226

I like how this movie was pushed hard on FOX and the messages in this movie were liberal

Also I agree with the first poster

But the 3D did strain my eyes a bit. Especially the first preview for some dumb piranha movie which wasn't adapted to 3D very well. I enjoyed the 3D experience and have heard that is the better way to see it, but I think I would catch the details better if I saw it again without the 3D. It really was the cgi/technical mastery and art that shined most for Avatar.

Originally posted by Arndur

I thought it was great and did not think the story was that poor. Certinaly beats out Aliens and Titantic for me. Imo the characters in Titantic did not feel that great and well the story....the ship sinks. This was very intersting and I will most likely see it at least once maybe two more times for sure.

It kills Titanic for me (hate that movie) but Aliens was better imo.

What liberal message is this pushing? The easiest thing to connect this too is what Europe did to the Native Americans the best example being the Spanish to Central and South America taking their gold at all cost. And I would believe that everyone would say that it was a darkspot on history.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

What liberal message is this pushing? The easiest thing to connect this too is what Europe did to the Native Americans the best example being the Spanish to Central and South America taking their gold at all cost. And I would believe that everyone would say that it was a darkspot on history.

possible spoilers

environmentalism (liberals are the environmental party. the 'green' stuff for instance)

peace not war

try more thought out negotiations before war ( there wasn't any in the movie)

not just a liberal message but the other big blunt message this movie pushed were end racism and respect natives. however, one example where liberals aren't racist but the conservatives are is when you think of people who fly the rebel flag - which is already a racist symbol by the definition of symbol but also 'racist redneck conservatives' is a lot more imaginable than 'racist redneck liberals'.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

I though you could see where the plot was going, but it had some nice turns.

Its really easy to knock off a movie because the plot was "done before" but pretty much everything has been done before. I don't think you can really change the heroic journey too much without just trying to be different for the sake of being different.

The CGI was absolutely amazing. In the running for best movie on my generation probably.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I thought the CGI was great.  The 3D glasses did give me a head ache though... so I think then need to rethink this 3D thing a bit more and maybe revolutionize it somehow... Wishful thinking I know.  I didn't really focus much on the plot.  I knew where it was going and just left it at that. 

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

When I first saw the trailer of the movie, the 3d is great, and for some reason I agree that the story of this movie is very predictable... but I really need to watch the full movie, so that I can share a lot on this thread, anyway still wanna watch this.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

One of the best examples of 3d cinematics I've had the chance to watch. It takes awhile for your eyes to adjust though if your eyes are as bad as mine. Once they did though, WOOOOAH! The depth of field in the movie made the environment so .... alive. Ill probably go see this movie again next weekend.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

All the animals sounded like they came from Jurassic Park.

Most movies and games pulls sounds either from copyrighted materials they have access to or public domain sounds. Thats why you hear the same drums, wolves and various sounds in games and movies. I'm surprised how many people don't notice this. It doesn't bug me all that much though because the sounds were so seamlessly blended.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I saw it in 3D on an Imax screen tonight with my father.  We were both blown away.  At times you are filled with awe for what is happening on screen.  I found myself at times with my jaw hanging open staring at the screen like an enraptured adolescent (I'm 40).  During other moments, you are swept up in the emotion of what is happening on screen.  The story was predictable but at this point in time every story is derivative.  What's important is the story was so well told and entertaining that neither my father or I could scarcely believe it had been 2 hours and 40 minutes. 

It ranks up there with the all time greats of sci fi like Star Wars, Matrix, 2001, Aliens, etc.  It is an instant classic and in many ways surpasses them.  I think it's one of the better movies I have ever seen and I will be seeing it atleast 1 or 2 more times on the big screen.

If you see it, watch it on an imax in 3d.  It's amazing.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Absolutely beautiful movie. Story and character wise, well... it's FernGully.

There, I spoiled it for you all. Now you don't have to worry about paying attention to the 1D characters and predictable story and can just focus on the OMG eye candy.

Well fern gully with guns, mechs , bombers and tribal war hahaha. Yeah I felt like I was seeing a more adult version of the story, which to be honest was just fine with me. :D

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

Well when I go to Imax last night after watching AVATAR in 3D, I hated James Cameron for in comparison to the ultra futuristic vision of his. AVATAR in 3D is the most mind-blowing cinematic experience anybody can ever hope to have in their entire lifetime. Nearly 3 decades ago I remember being awestruck with Star Wars and now nearly 30 years later AVATAR to me looked 30 years ahead of its time both in its creative output and also in terms of James Cameron’s sheer imaginative power.

• ZeehyderZeehyder Member Posts: 3

The movie Avatar is excellent movie ever made...

The movie is focus the attention of preventing Global warming

so we can have a life like Pandora (The place of origin of our mother earth),

The story really carrying a message the if we will still not take any initiatives we will loss our mother earth

I will give full score to the movie beyond 5....

Ok everyone is saying story is predictable. Lets get some movies(not small indie ones blockbusters) that were a total suprise in the twist they took. As I think its a stupid thing to say as most movies are easy to guess were they are going but I don't sit there and guess while it plays.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Ok everyone is saying story is predictable. Lets get some movies(not small indie ones blockbusters) that were a total suprise in the twist they took. As I think its a stupid thing to say as most movies are easy to guess were they are going but I don't sit there and guess while it plays.

For me it's not the fact that it's easy to guess, but rather that some movies at least for me do a better job of somehow hiding that or they tell the story in such a way that I am too into the story and what's going on that it only hits me at the end.

Watching Avatar for me was not anything of the sort.  At a certain point (I won't say which to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it) I knew where it was going to go and then I just basically focused on the eye candy and put the plot behind me.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Because if you read history you'll notice the conquistadors encountered a culture that regurlarly practiced selective human sacrifice.  Or that Native Americans would still own north america if they were united together instead of weakened by infighting.

If Cameron had some balls he would have presented a little more truth instead of whitewashing the "oppressed" Navi.

My youtube MMO gaming channel