Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyway to extend a partition without reformatting HD?

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Well title says it all.  I set aside 20gb for my OS and I keep running out of room and I don't know what to delete. I don't have a way to back up my HD though. Is my only option to just take some away from the D partition and reformat C and re-make it?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

You can only partition a drive before you format it.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Arndur
    Well title says it all.  I set aside 20gb for my OS and I keep running out of room and I don't know what to delete. I don't have a way to back up my HD though. Is my only option to just take some away from the D partition and reformat C and re-make it?

You can resize the partition. Windows Vista and 7 have a built in partition manager now that is relatively limited. If there were space between the C and D partition or you could delete the D partition then you could expand the C partition using Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management, right click the C partition and 'Expand'.

But since you can't take away from the start of the D partition using the built in tool you'll need to use Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic to resize the partitions. Using either of these tools you can lop off space from the beginning of the D partition and expand the C partition without losing any data. I don't think either of these tools are have full trials though.

For free utilities I only know of Gparted and Cute Partition Manager, never tried either.

I usually do OS partition at 35GB myself but my current one is 70GB.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Dont know how PC savvy you are but...

If you don't have a cleaner program download http://www.ccleaner.com/ its free.  No reason XP should take up more than 10gig even after a years use. Might also want to lower your virtual memory too if you have 4gig+ ram, Turn off system restore too, check ya download/pictures/music folders in my documents.

Here's some good tips too: http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2004/12/30/how_to_free_up_disk_space_on_windows_xp/

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

gparted works very well. If you go  here: gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php you can download it.  It's pretty easy to use.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Partition Magic is a really good application to partition your HD without actually reformatting it. try that.

also you can get a second HD.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

You cannot just extend a created volume but you can chain another volume to it. That is If you created a NTFS formatted Dynamic disk volume. You need empty drive space to do that though. If your disk currently has 2 or more volumes AND the operating system is installed to the C: drive and the drive has no empty space you will need to remove one or more of the non-OS installed volumes. You can then create a drive volume and add it to the C: drive similarly to what I did with the D: drive in this picture. Look up "Using Disk Management" in your Windows Help. Do your research first though.

edit: changing picture.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by noquarter

You can resize the partition. Windows Vista and 7 have a built in partition manager now that is relatively limited. If there were space between the C and D partition or you could delete the D partition then you could expand the C partition using Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management, right click the C partition and 'Expand'.

But since you can't take away from the start of the D partition using the built in tool you'll need to use Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic to resize the partitions. Using either of these tools you can lop off space from the beginning of the D partition and expand the C partition without losing any data. I don't think either of these tools are have full trials though.

For free utilities I only know of Gparted and Cute Partition Manager, never tried either.

Well I tried this and it didn't work. I thik Im just gonna get a new HDD and back up eveyrthing and reformat the whole drive. Whats the best opition(price wise) for a 500gb HD?

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Western Digital Caviar Black is in my opinion the most versatile HDD above 256GB.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by noquarter  

Well I tried this and it didn't work. I thik Im just gonna get a new HDD and back up eveyrthing and reformat the whole drive. Whats the best opition(price wise) for a 500gb HD?

You tried Acronis Disk Director/Gparted?

Best option for hard drive is Seagate 7200.12 500GB for $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148395

But Acronis Disk Director or Gparted should definitely be able to do it for you, the built in Windows thing is very limited.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Acronis is awesome

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Well I figured out I was using the tool wrong, kept trying to take space off the back end of the partition intsead of the front. Thanks to everyone for their help.

• tphu01tphu01 Member Posts: 5

Is that work?