Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help wiht eve controls

morbiusvmorbiusv Member Posts: 86

I want to know if there is anyway i can keybind certain things to make it like i am actually fly the ship instead of of clicking thngs to and push orbit or go this is a real gamebreaker for me I like teh game but clicking objects then hitting orbit or go to this....place. I want to be able to for instance like use wasd to move forward backward and left right if there is a away to do this plz someone tell me how

Comments

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

It's not like flying a fighter jet... Get over it.

Make it so...

• morbiusvmorbiusv Member Posts: 86

such a shame then pretty sure the game would be about 100x more popular if u actually controlled the ship not look at while is does it for u. Really lost on how people say this game take skill if it is automated /shrug

• QueinaiQueinai Member Posts: 76

Not currently, at least not that I'm aware of. It has been brought up by players in the past www.eve-search.com/thread/1142733/page/1 and www.eve-search.com/thread/993604/page/1. I'm neutral on the topic, although piloting a Vagabond with a flight stick and foot controls would be pretty cool if feasible. I'm not sure that enough players would be interested to make the development resources justifiable though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by morbiusv

such a shame then pretty sure the game would be about 100x more popular if u actually controlled the ship not look at while is does it for u. Really lost on how people say this game take skill if it is automated /shrug

You've missed the point about EVE.  Its not a flight simulator, was the Enterprise (or Star Destroyers) ever flown with a joystick?

Spaceships would be more naturally flown off a console and the challenge in EVE has nothing to do with whether you can out dogfight your opponent. (though Interceptor battles can involve quite interesting maneuvers)

Its OK EVE's not for everyone.  JGE would probably be the game you're looking for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QueinaiQueinai Member Posts: 76

EVE isn't a "spaceship" simulator, but a "universe" simulator. Which just so happens to be have a populace largely consisting of those with low moral fiber and deprived of love as a child, now acting out revenge on all those whom do not serve their selfish needs. I for one am proud to be counted among them.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

More than anything else, I'd say EvE is a thinking man's game - the skill involved, especially in combat, is all strategy and tactics.  There is no twitch component whatsoever, though being able to react quickly will give you a big advantage, of course. 

You can manually fly to an extent, and it is a very useful ability to have, but it's still very sluggish feeling.  Jumpgate: Evolution may be more like the type of game you're looking for.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Cpt Picard is right, though he could have elaborated on the topic a bit more to make his post less... useless

eve you are flying monster ships battleships the size of small cities. those ships are heavy have lots of mass and do not respond like jet fighters

think of eve ships like ( i know it snot part of the lore but just to get the concept) a captain saying,

-helmsmen, plot course to the nearest planet,

-yes sir.... course plotted and ready to engage

- punch it!

- (ship warps off)

you are not the pilot, you are like a captain giving commands to

your pilots to maneuver the ship

your engineers to boost the shield power and thrusters

your tactical officer to to see whats around you and target the right things

your combat officers to load launch and reload weapons (and aim)

maybe shuttles and frigate class ships could have limited "fighter" controls but anything higher i would like it to stay as  is.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I don’t think you will stay alive very long trying to steer that ship : o

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

I want to know if there is anyway i can keybind certain things to make it like i am actually fly the ship instead of of clicking thngs to and push orbit or go this is a real gamebreaker for me I like teh game but clicking objects then hitting orbit or go to this....place. I want to be able to for instance like use wasd to move forward backward and left right if there is a away to do this plz someone tell me how

My question to people who ask this question is always this: How often do you see Jumbo jets dogfighting? Never right because they are just too big and bulky. The smallest shipclass in EVE is frigates and the smallest of frigates is as big or bigger than a jumbo jet in terms of scale so dogfighting just doesn't make sense with them even in space.

Another factor is the way CCP has designed the server cluster. Having everyone on the same shard means that it's just not viable to use WASD controls for movement as the amount of bandwidth needed would go up exponentially for every player that enters the area.

So in conclusion if you absolutely need to have WASD flight controls try jumpgate evolution or *shudder* SWG

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Its not a flight simulator, was the Enterprise (or Star Destroyers) ever flown with a joystick?

Unfortunately.. yes it was :S

All joking aside that was a particularly terrible moment in Trek. In EVE it would distract from the tactical options of larger scale combat, add little to small group combat, and overall add terrible amounts of lag due to the servers having to monitor 50k constant data streams simultaneously. It would kill the 1 world premise of EVE which IMHO is far more important than first person real time control.

JumpGate Evolution has already been mentioned. Star Trek Online might also offer something similar to what the OP wants.

//insert sig here