Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How about an 'Avatar" MMO?

Comments

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Toquio3

I watched the Avatar trailer and it put me off completely. I dont think I'll watch it at all. It seems to be all about men going into space to enslave / murder / exploit an innocent species for nothing more than profits. That alone was enough to make me hate the movie even without watching it. I dont care if the evil human becomes good and falls in love with the blue girl and they all go save the world in the end, the premise is enough for me not to enjoy the ride.
    /mindless rant.

An Avatar mmo? sure why not. as long as its well made and I could play the blue creatures, so I could kick some GI Joe's ass.

I have'n't seen the movie yet but it's my sense that the beings who they try to take advantage of aren't as helpless as they seem. I could be wrong but it seems that the blue guys have their own tricks despite not having the same types of technological advancement. That in and of itself, if it is true, seems to be reason enough to go see it. At least for me.

Well, that could change things, but its not what the trailer lets on.

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I would actually love an avatar the last airbender MMO. Diaz Avatar would not suit to well for an MMO, unless it is heavily PvE based, but even then it will be a pain in the ass to balance. 

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

Would be funny but it would be hard to make it work.

?

• bigdaddysfebigdaddysfe Member Posts: 89

*Mod Edited*

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Toquio3

I watched the Avatar trailer and it put me off completely. I dont think I'll watch it at all. It seems to be all about men going into space to enslave / murder / exploit an innocent species for nothing more than profits. That alone was enough to make me hate the movie even without watching it. I dont care if the evil human becomes good and falls in love with the blue girl and they all go save the world in the end, the premise is enough for me not to enjoy the ride.
    /mindless rant.

An Avatar mmo? sure why not. as long as its well made and I could play the blue creatures, so I could kick some GI Joe's ass.

I have'n't seen the movie yet but it's my sense that the beings who they try to take advantage of aren't as helpless as they seem. I could be wrong but it seems that the blue guys have their own tricks despite not having the same types of technological advancement. That in and of itself, if it is true, seems to be reason enough to go see it. At least for me.

you are right actually, so if you haven't seen it you should, best movie i've seen in a long time.

as to an mmo based on it? no i don't think it could work.

• AevenathAevenath Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by StuBidasoe

Would rather see Avatar: The Last Airbender made into an MMO then James Cameron's Avatar.  I know it's more cartoon but Multiple continents, 4 distinct races/bending styles (5 or more if you include non benders), flying mounts, ships, etc., would be more fun then feeding Cameron's wallet. 

There just isn't enough content in the Avatar universe for it to be an MMO. It could make a decent FPS multiplayer game however.

But this guy's idea is actually pretty good. Lots of bending styles, different races from the different countries... SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A BUDGET TO MAKE THIS GAME!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Isnt here a Avatar MMO in the making already?

And the movie was on of the coolest movies i have ever seen! The trailer had nothing to do with the movie. It was taken out of content.

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61

Saw Avatar in 3D and yeah its pretty much one of the best films I've seen in years. The world is amazing, which (on topic) leads me to believe that an MMO based on avatar should wait until graphics in MMO's get a hell of a lot more realistic. Currently it wouldn't do justice to the film and the whole idea of it. Although everything is there for an MMO, mounts, flying mounts, races, environments, it couldn't be more perfect but I'd rather wait a few years until it can look almost as good as the film.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Movie was good.  Visuals were amazing in IMAX 3D.  The writing/story was super derivative.  All of us have seen this movie before, it just didn't look this amazing.

An mmo based on Avatar would be bad.

See, I covered all the bases there.  :D

• zchmrkenhoffzchmrkenhoff Member Posts: 2,241

I just came back from seeing this film...and  I think it would make a horrible MMO.

"Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up." - Robert DeNiro

• DollMighty8313DollMighty8313 Member Posts: 179

Avatar is just a fad that people are head over heals about.  Ask this question again in a year and I guarantee you that you will fail to get 10 responses to it.  If in 25 years people are still talking about how awesome Avatar was when they saw it then yeah I can see the potential for an MMO not a week after the movies release.  Everyone thought that The Dark Knight was like the best movie EVER.  That hype is long gone now.  Your idea for an MMO of Avatar I believe is entirely based off your hype for having just seen the movie.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

great special effects. No story. The MMO could end up being just about anything seeing how there is so little to draw from.

A handful animal species.

2 Humanoid species.

Jungle, ocean, plains, floating rocks, what ever earth happens to be, and the longest loading times ever to get between the two worlds...

It might make a good MMO but so would just about any other random idea.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

How about no? 

Just play the game if you need your dose of Avatar. 

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Hated the movie, and the graphic design of Pandora, loved the 3d technology.

If someone made a Borderlands/Planetside/WoW crossover game using 3d technology I would buy it.

• jph12jph12 Member Posts: 19

Well, upon first glances, it does sound like a good idea, but there would be vast limitations. Obviously, the creators of the MMORPG could create a few things, but beyond a near point, the game would be very different to the film. The only way that it could do this, is if Avatar would make sequels to the movie, but generally, with a film like that, it'd be awful, in my opinion, unless it was done very, very well. It's like Titanic 2, but concentrating on the women's life after Titanic, it'd just be a sham. So I don't think an MMORPG could be made, and be successful. Granted, an MMORPG could be made, but within a year, it'd be stopped, due to so few people playing it.

Thanks!

IYERRRRRRR, innit boii.

• skarwolfskarwolf Member CommonPosts: 245

I saw the movie and liked it.  The special effects, graphics were amazing.  Same old storyline retold with fancy colors.  Its basically Sci Fi Dance with Wolves.  One thing that bothers me is when he leaves the mind of his avatar how does the body maintain breathing and normal function /shrug they never explain that, or the floating mountains.  Suspension of disbelief for teh lose.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by jph12

Well, upon first glances, it does sound like a good idea, but there would be vast limitations. Obviously, the creators of the MMORPG could create a few things, but beyond a near point, the game would be very different to the film. The only way that it could do this, is if Avatar would make sequels to the movie, but generally, with a film like that, it'd be awful, in my opinion, unless it was done very, very well. It's like Titanic 2, but concentrating on the women's life after Titanic, it'd just be a sham. So I don't think an MMORPG could be made, and be successful. Granted, an MMORPG could be made, but within a year, it'd be stopped, due to so few people playing it.
    Thanks!

There is already a second film of Avatar in the pipeline. You say sequels are generally awful and use "Titanic 2" to make your point... there is no Titanic 2 and you fail to mention the sequels that Cameron actually did make that worked and worked well, Terminator 2, Aliens anyone?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Reply to OP...one word..."No".

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Cowboys and Indians.

Most things are based off of westerns.  'Today is a good day to die' is not Klingon, it's the Sioux war cry.  Yep, real life motherfuckers would shout that as they were try to kill you.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Avatar is not a deep world. It's a pretty planet with pretty people that worships nature. The inhabitants of the planet are all connected together into one symbiote and now Humans are invading for their minerals.

Pretty planet and pretty people does not make good MMOs.

This is not Dune where you have thousands of years of history. It's a very pretty movie with a mediocre storyline.

I remember when Rising Force Online came out, it tried to sell the game with the following tag line: "The most beautifull game ever made"

When it came out, it was indeed the most amazing MMO in terms of graphics but was it really fun lol... you tell me :P

• thg7fthg7f Member Posts: 87

Well Cameron did say there would be 2 sequels if the movie did well, which it has.  And the lore can be created for the game, in fact most games hae to make their own story, so they are a bit ahead in that regard.

The main thing to look at is that this would be the perfect platform to reassert the need for a skill(not class) based mmo. We as humans can do many things well even the scientist was trying to fight at the end of the movie, and the na'vi seem to all have a base grasp on most skills and then branch into the ones that they focus on ( note the many tribes from the forest, planes, and sea).  Could move the timeline forward add in a 3rd faction for pvp, or if pve is to be the focus one can look at trying to find ways to repair the planet from the humans damage as a starting point for the story line.

It sucks being a hardcore player at heart but a casual player in availability. ~NightCloak

• StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

i just saw the movie today, and i agree, It could be an amazing MMO. would be really cool, i feel it would be hard to make it a sandbox, very story driven, but none-the-less it could be very cool.

Playing EVE
    Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Very good setting for a MMORPG, hopefully some big studio buys license.

After enjoying the movie, Id pay alot of money for a chance to visit Pandora myself.  The game needs incredible graphics (on par with Crysis) and open ended gameplay (so that people could actually live on Pandora instead of doing standart MMO crap).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by burdock2

I think the world of Pandora would lend itself very well to an MMORPG. using say Unreal 3 or Cryengine 2 to bring the jungles to life, it could be awesome Factional PVP - The Na'vi on one side and the RDA Corporation on the other. What do you think? And who should develop it?  Heres hoping!!

Well i played the game Avatar and did not like ti at all.The looks were good and the vegetation was abound and the game had some nice camouflage to it,but it was just too boring.

The movie really was a very basic idea,they were after a money making treasure/mineral and had to fight the native creatures to gain control of it.Somehow as per usual it ends up being a love story lmao.I guess it does have the core elements needed for a game,but IDK,it would have to be different than the Avatar game i played.

Personally i don't like games based on movies,it lends nothing to creativity,you are basically bound to the movie script or else you wander away from the purpose of making the game .A game based on a movie would also have to pay a license fee,then the game engine fee,the cost would be so high before the game gets off the ground,you can pretty much expect a cheap game,with a high price tag.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.