Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only thing that makes Kotor good is the story.

Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

So why are all these people freaking out about a game being story driven? If you ever thought man i like kotor i wish it was an mmo, what you really meant was i wish this was online so i could chat and maybe trade lightsaber crystals inbetween going through this story (which is most definitely NOT what you get when a company comes in and bastardizes a title by making it a bland world with nothing but gear grind to do).

MMOGs are in a very stale place right now because any fantasy game where you remove any semblance of a story becomes the same as every other storyless fantasy game. There isn't a single mmo out currently that has a recognizable story that players actually care about. There is only so many times you can "create your own story" before your artistic creativity well is completely dried up, so how about something new that may or may not suck as much as all the other trash on the market right now.

Comments

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

Are you saying that an mmo with a really great story won't get stale?

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Carl132p

So why are all these people freaking out about a game being story driven? If you ever thought man i like kotor i wish it was an mmo, what you really meant was i wish this was online so i could chat and maybe trade lightsaber crystals inbetween going through this story (which is most definitely NOT what you get when a company comes in and bastardizes a title by making it a bland world with nothing but gear grind to do).
    MMOGs are in a very stale place right now because any fantasy game where you remove any semblance of a story becomes the same as every other storyless fantasy game. There isn't a single mmo out currently that has a recognizable story that players actually care about. There is only so many times you can "create your own story" before your artistic creativity well is completely dried up, so how about something new that may or may not suck as much as all the other trash on the market right now.

I don't think anyone has any doubt that BioWare will make an awesome single-player "story-driven" component for SW: TOR.  Hell, I'm buying the game just to play that part.  

I think what people are worried about is what do you do once you're done the single player bit.  In KOTOR, after I finished the game a couple of weeks after buying it... I quit.  It was awesome, but it was finished.

I think everyone is waiting to see what BioWare will come up with for folks to do after they're done the single-player bit.  So far, it's not very clear.

Aslo, there is at least one game where people care about what's going on - EVE. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

For all we know, Bioware could build together another body of story after the initial one is completed , if its good enough, people who favor that kind of element would give it a try, thats excluding the tid bits of the rest of the gaming being open world or a instanced noodle soup marathon, or whatever.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I've milked WoW for 5 years off and on so at the very least i should eb able to do the same to this since I do love the KoToR games.

• Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by Carl132p
     There isn't a single mmo out currently that has a recognizable story that players actually care about.

Actually LoTR has a very very good story line to it. In fact it is pretty much plot/story driven.