Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats Dx11 Microsoft?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Whats Dx11, and how will it effect MMO gaming? I heard of it, but what is it?

Comments

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

it's what comes after DirectX10

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

More importantly, it's the new name for vaporware!

Anyways. Dx11 makes use of tessellation and basically better utilizes multi-core processors with improved multi-threading

To summarize: Shit's gonna look nicer and run better. At least that's the name of the game

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

DirectX is a graphics API by Microsoft. DirectX 11 is the newest version of that API that comes with Windows 7 and will be available on Vista too. Full use of that API requires a video card that is capable of using it, and as of now the only cards capable are the ATI 5000 series. DirectX 11 will have little effect on MMORPGs for a while.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Also I just wanna say, google is your friend. 

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

There are several huge things about DX11 that is making all developers switch to it.  A. Tesselation, B. Backwards Compatible, C. DirectCompute, D. Virtualization, and E. Multi-core processor support.

As a developer you would have to be an idiot not to integrate DX11, or a big time stooge for nVidia.  With Tesselation, its possible to cover all video cards up till now and into several generations forward since the amount of Tesselation is controllable.  Since it backwards compatible down to DX9 (SM 2.0), there is no reason to hold out on it due to OS Support.  Similar to how if your making a DX10 game, you should just use DX10.1 as its backwards compatible.  DirectCompute allows for less utilization of the processor, and is capable of rendering physics fast.  Virtualization allows a developer not to worry about bugs that happen outside the game, it allows for running the game in a separate space.  Finally Multi-Core processor support gives more power to the API.

DX11 may seem like a small update, but it is in fact gigantic for PC Game Development with the tools a developer is now given.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

All new mmo's coming into production in the next 5 yrs by big companies will start utilizing DX11 because of it's superior API vs Dx9 and because MS is actually moving to push these game companies to use DX11. Intel, AMD/ATI, and Nvidia are all onboard to also try and push for DX11 standard simply because it means more revenue for them in potential sales for new hardware and R&D.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It will affect MMOs but it is not an easy thing to add, few MMOs even have support for Dx 10 right now.

We will see it in most new MMOs 5 years from now, it adds some nice effects and are supposed to be better to using multiprocessors and the next gen GPUs.

Few MMOs are using truly high end graphics so FPS players will be affected by things like this a lot faster. Still, if you start making a MMO right now it would be a good idea to use it.

Any LOTRO os AoC player can tell you that Dx10 looks better than Dx9 and there are many cool features of Dx 10 that no one uses yet, like the nice effect that allows you to have it start snowing and turning the place all white in a realistic way, that really could make a persistent world feel alive (but it is probably rather processor heavy).

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3759/sponsored_feature_introducing_.php This link can be somewhat helpful without being complicated, or you can google it yourself.

• championsFanchampionsFan Member Posts: 419

DirectX 11 does look like a more interesting update then 10, which will perhaps never be widely adopted due to its relation with vista.  

I just want to call attention to OpenGL, which is a non-proprietary alternative to DirectX.  OpenGL is capable of top quality graphics, and is the graphics API for PS3 (obviously all Xbox games are DirectX).   But OpenGL is much bigger than Sony, it is also the graphics API for Mac OS and Linux, so that games written in OpenGL can be ported to all operating systems easily, and PS3 with minimal trouble.

The problem is DirectX has a much bigger industry of experienced programmers behind it, not for any technical reason but for business reasons: MS used their usual methods to dominate over OpenGL since the mid 90s.  

OpenGL is good for gamers because (1) cross platform support and (2) no proprietor to exchange payola with Nvidia and ATI, scheming against customers:

Nvidia: let's invent a new shader model that obsoletes these cards. 

MS: OK we will update directX and stuff it down developers throats.

New shader standards are good, but the tactics MS uses to force the updates on the industry are not good. 

Cryptic is trying a Customer Development approach to MMO creation.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Watch efacos video about DX10 vs DX11!

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Lord of the Rings Online gets a DX11 update in a couple months. Most MMO's are designed with lowest specs in mind so probably won't be a huge push in this category of games for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR40GwRtFyw shows a pretty good demonstration of tesselation (make sure to click HD)

edit: oops didn't see the previous post linked this video too :)

• sage69sage69 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by tro44_1

something nvidia cant do

Originally posted by sage69
    Originally posted by tro44_1 Whats Dx11, and how will it effect MMO gaming? I heard of it, but what is it?

something nvidia cant do

sure they can, all it took was a GTX 285 upgraded with wood screws and a hacksaw

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

I must say that tesselation looks nothing short of amazing. Was not going to bother with a new GPU but think I will suckle at the DX11 teat of ATi.

Jam is sticky.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by noquarter

Lord of the Rings Online gets a DX11 update in a couple months.

They will not be going full DX11 though. Sure it will use DX11 as it is more stable, but they will  not be redoing the game engine and redrawing textures for it. So while it will play better, it will look the same!

Originally posted by majinant
    Originally posted by noquarter Lord of the Rings Online gets a DX11 update in a couple months.

They will not be going full DX11 though. Sure it will use DX11 as it is more stable, but they will be redoing the game engine and redrawing textures for it. So while it will play better, it will look the same!

Yea that's my bet too, I haven't been able to find any comments from the devs on it but I'm 99% sure they'll use DX11 for performance improvements over DX10 only as adding new DX11 effects would require a whole rewrite of the engine and 3d models.. but sometimes Turbine is pretty surprising.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

They will not be going full DX11 though. Sure it will use DX11 as it is more stable, but they will be redoing the game engine and redrawing textures for it. So while it will play better, it will look the same!

Yea that's my bet too, I haven't been able to find any comments from the devs on it but I'm 99% sure they'll use DX11 for performance improvements over DX10 only as adding new DX11 effects would require a whole rewrite of the engine and 3d models.. but sometimes Turbine is pretty surprising.

Im not sure if you need to rewrite a game engine to use DX11, from the video it looks like the system looks at the colours on a texture and the dark parts stick in and the light parts stick out ( and/or you can set some flags about how a texture splits up the poly its painted on).  Not sure if this is a real time thing, switching between 10 and 11 with the press of a key like in the demo.

Its just like using a 3D package, you extrude a selection and then smooth the model which effectivly adds extra polys.  I dont think the designer will need to create a DX10 and DX11 model as DX11 will take a DX10 model and extrude/smooth (based on the texture) to make it DX11... I guess=D

Looks a damn site more interesting that DX10.  The FPS dropped to 1/4 in DX11 mode though.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

basicly it does 2 thing,and better graphic ny a lot (when game maker optimise their game for,just using dx11 wont show the full potential,lotr is a game that will activate it but wont use its full potential

but it should still reduce the lag for lower system

that combined with microsoft donnybrooks,is the futur of gaming for the next 5 years

dx 11 cover too wide a range not many realise this.go back in time and remember one of the epic change in computer

graphic and this is its equal dx10 was a silly toy and buy reflect it nobody baught dx10

but dx11 is another story one exemple very shown on youtube

tesselation ,yes some part of the game cant take advantage of tesselation but when a game is designed

with tessalation in mind the game can be scary good looking,it give a sense of dept and profile to smooth castle wall

or road,in dx 10 it was just cheating here itsso nice its scary

the differenceis this for tessaltion

did you ever see birck wall in a house you know the one made of paper but made to look like brick wall

it looks nice but never as nice as a real brick wall

then imagine a real brick wall in the house.this is the diff between previous dx techno and dx11 tesselation

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by coffee

Im not sure if you need to rewrite a game engine to use DX11, from the video it looks like the system looks at the colours on a texture and the dark parts stick in and the light parts stick out ( and/or you can set some flags about how a texture splits up the poly its painted on).  Not sure if this is a real time thing, switching between 10 and 11 with the press of a key like in the demo.

Its just like using a 3D package, you extrude a selection and then smooth the model which effectivly adds extra polys.  I dont think the designer will need to create a DX10 and DX11 model as DX11 will take a DX10 model and extrude/smooth (based on the texture) to make it DX11... I guess=D

Looks a damn site more interesting that DX10.  The FPS dropped to 1/4 in DX11 mode though.

some part of old game will looks better but its a fact wow has better chance of showing full potential of dx11 since they redesign old content so they ll probably design with dx11 in mind

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by sage69

something nvidia cant do

sure they can, all it took was a GTX 285 upgraded with wood screws and a hacksaw

Rofl...