Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth vs. Eve: Which One ?

WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

I am split on which game I want to stick with. Both are quite similar but both also do have tradeoffs. If you are a fan of both types of MMOs which one do you think is the better and why ? I am a fan of PVP, which both have. My PC can handle both fine. Both communities are not too bad. I dunno, help me to critique the pros and cons of them ?

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I'd say go with the one that best matches your play style.  One is a somewhat space sim with heavy emphasis on economy, while the other is a 3rd person terrestrial adventure type dealy.  I think you'll get different experiences from both even if they fall into the same "sandbox" genre. 

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

EvE has WAY better PvP. Also, Fallen Earth STILL has no idea what it wants to be. After a year and a half of closed testing b/t alpha and beta (that I was part of), it still doesn't know if it wants to be a sandbox or a themepark, and as such, it needs to be decided and a lot of game mechanics need to be fixed accordingly.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

What I don't like about Eve is the periods where you have to wait to get to places, to many warps basically. I agree with what you say about Fallen Earth but I think it is trying to cater to both the themepark and the sandbox; a 50/50 style which, thus far, has been good to me like Eve.

Fallen Earth has broken way too much by trying to cater. The instances are poorly done, PvP is bleh and zoned and in general, sandboxes shouldn't have quests leading you places and theme parks shouldn't make most of the items in the game player crafted.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Eve seemed kind of souless.  More like chess.

Fallen Earth has a lot of heart.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

EvE has WAY better PvP. Also, Fallen Earth STILL has no idea what it wants to be. After a year and a half of closed testing b/t alpha and beta (that I was part of), it still doesn't know if it wants to be a sandbox or a themepark, and as such, it needs to be decided and a lot of game mechanics need to be fixed accordingly.

I understand what you are saying but I do believe you put it out wrong. A game having sandbox and themepark themes (what ever that does mean)  mixed up is not a bad thing. But the game felt kind of splinting out to diffrent paths not knowing which way is the best.

As always I blame the games community that yells with a loud voice about what the devs are supposed to do :)

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

They are too different to compare, sorry

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

EVE or FE? I say take the best of both worlds and just go balls to the wall and sub to DFO, that's if you think you're hardcore enough ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• KexoKexo Member Posts: 84

Fallen Earth has broken way too much by trying to cater. The instances are poorly done, PvP is bleh and zoned and in general, sandboxes shouldn't have quests leading you places and theme parks shouldn't make most of the items in the game player crafted.

This.

Fallen is trying to do too much and ended up failing at everything. PvP is pointless and leads to nothing thanks to the piss poor faction town mechanics while the PvE is just a dull faction grind fest. It doesn't know if its sandbox or theme park and end up being luke warm at both.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

I have sub for both EVE and FE but i enjoy FE more because it all about options and choices. Its 50/50 sandbox and theme park and works great since you are not pigeon holed into one style of gameplay. Not to mention crafting is addictive and PVP is fast paced compared to EVE.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Does EVE also have stucked NPC's with their chests hanging through wooden floors ?
    Because that was what I saw in Fallen Earth.
    But then I forgot EVE doesn't have avatars/NPC's at all.
    I guess today people must be desperate... :)))

Or maybe some of us are not looking for perfection and just enjoying a game for what it is?

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

What is simmilar about EVE and Fallen Earth? They are completely different style games.

I would trust EVE's future more, considering it is the biggest success for indy MMO's. It is over 6 years old, and has constantly upgraded both hardware and code. EVE is not for everyone, but it is very high quality with a long future. It started with 20k subs and now has close to 400k (In one Universe, not server copies).

NO other MMO has grown over time like EVE. EVE wasn't quick off the starting gate, but it's been one helova distance runner.

Dust 514 (soon releasing for consoles initially) will be a better FPS system then Fallen Earth is. That game will effect EVE's planetary control. Walking avatars are scheduled for 2010 also.

• porkie9porkie9 Member Posts: 22

you can't compair the two.. FE will never be half the game that EVE is

• robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by WhackANewbie

I am split on which game I want to stick with. Both are quite similar but both also do have tradeoffs. If you are a fan of both types of MMOs which one do you think is the better and why ? I am a fan of PVP, which both have. My PC can handle both fine. Both communities are not too bad. I dunno, help me to critique the pros and cons of them ?

EVE. Didn't play FE but readed some reviews in magazines and on the internet. the graphics are very bad of FE (avarage score for graphics is a 5) and it has lots of problems. Eve graphics have been updated over the last years and is very well balanced. Although Im not playing EVE since 1 year (played it form 4 months) it was very stabil then.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by porkie9

Never? you saw that in your crystal ball? Give FE 5 years like EVE and then we will talk. People used to say same thing about EVE, how its going to fail and will never be a huge success. I am sure they enjoyed eating the sock like you will in future.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by robby5403

EVE. Didn't play FE but readed some reviews in magazines and on the internet. the graphics are very bad of FE (avarage score for graphics is a 5) and it has lots of problems. Eve graphics have been updated over the last years and is very well balanced. Although Im not playing EVE since 1 year (played it form 4 months) it was very stabil then.

The day I decide what game to play based on graphics I'm going to smash my computer to bits and play console games.  Never having seen the game you know the grapics are "very bad?"

OFT, not to mention that EVE graphics have been updates just a couple of years back. People who want good graphics and bad game play should go play games like AOC, AION etc.

The day I decide what game to play based on graphics I'm going to smash my computer to bits and play console games.  Never having seen the game you know the grapics are "very bad?"

Well I prefer to play games with Good graphics like Lotro and AoC (both in DX10 max settings and in 1920x1050) but since my graphic card isn't oogd enough for AoC I stick to Lotro till there is a better game :P (or the gameplay must be THAT good like SW the old republic hopeully is going to be then I take it in consideration..But FE has none of those at all :P

Well I prefer to play games with Good graphics like Lotro and AoC (both in DX10 max settings and in 1920x1050) but since my graphic card isn't oogd enough for AoC I stick to Lotro till there is a better game :P (or the gameplay must be THAT good like SW the old republic hopeully is going to be then I take it in consideration..But FE has none of those at all :P

Oh yeah, for someone who didn't play the game you know it sucks along with graphics? sure i take whatever you say seriously. In my opinion AOC is bad but then thats what you like, more fluff then real substance.

Originally posted by Shastra

Oh yeah, for someone who didn't play the game you know it sucks along with graphics? sure i take whatever you say seriously. In my opinion AOC is bad but then thats what you like, more fluff then real substance.

I DID play EVE, AoC (at my parents house its runned perfect during my 3 months summur holiday, but once I came home my graphiccard was to slow and I stopped -reached level 45 though-) , EQ2, Lotro and AION and as I said I just quote the scores/feedback of magazines and sites about FE to help the thread starter......

• porkie9porkie9 Member Posts: 22

Never? you saw that in your crystal ball? Give FE 5 years like EVE and then we will talk. People used to say same thing about EVE, how its going to fail and will never be a huge success. I am sure they enjoyed eating the sock like you will in future.

i would give FE 5  years but i don't think it has what it takes to be a great game

i would give FE 5  year but i don't think it has what it takes to be a great game

Like i said in my previous post, same things were said about EVE. Only time will tell since FE has huge potential and we have only seen 3 sectors out of planned 10.

I DID play EVE, AoC (at my parents house its runned perfect during my 3 months summur holiday, but once I came home my graphiccard was to slow and I stopped -reached level 45 though-) , EQ2, Lotro and AION and as I said I just quote the scores/feedback of magazines and sites about FE to help the thread starter......

What? This should be clear proof you've never played EvE...level 5 is the highest I remember you can get. =P

• korpsce24korpsce24 Member Posts: 61

What? This should be clear proof you've never played EvE...level 5 is the highest I remember you can get. =P

Pretty sure he was referring to AoC there, Johnon.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

2 Good Completely Different Games.

But, with the way EVE plays. You could probably easily play both. lol

Originally posted by astrob0y

I understand what you are saying but I do believe you put it out wrong. A game having sandbox and themepark themes (what ever that does mean)  mixed up is not a bad thing. But the game felt kind of splinting out to diffrent paths not knowing which way is the best.
    As always I blame the games community that yells with a loud voice about what the devs are supposed to do :)

Yeah, but it started this way. I was in alpha, and closed beta and everything. I played the game for a year and a half. It never changed. Some things had been put in based on community requests but for the most part, they stuck to their muddled "we have no clue how to mix these two so we'll just throw in whatever the hell we want, completely screw PvP over and screw over any of the themepark players by making it difficult to get any good gear without crafting it themselves or buying it off other players for high prices and screw over the sandbox players by implementing a level system that makes it so that you can only experience certain content at a certain time and really enjoy it we see in most other MMOs" design document. 

Very little other than bug fixing occurred in the year and a half I played. That's why I didn't join retail players.

EDIT: korpsce...oh...right...just woke up...mind's a bit hazy...anyways, again, always can count on correction. xD