Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MW2 PC - How bad is it, really?

RigonnRigonn Member Posts: 79

It's been a while since it's launched... What are the Cons/Pros of the PC version for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

If you buy it, you're putting $60 towards the degradation of PC Gaming.

There are no dedicated servers for Multiplayer. You are grouped into random servers based on skill level or something. Just the fact that it doesn't allow dedicated servers is enough not to waste $60.

I want it, I really really do and the day they allow for dedicated servers is the day I'll pick it up.

• chill101chill101 Member Posts: 1

If you liked the combat from the first one and really couldn't care less about dedicated servers, then it's probably the best game you've ever played. If you liked the community and specificity of dedicated servers, then, in my humble opinion, it's still worth it.

I don't think you are promoting the degeneration of PC gaming, I think you are supporting the idea of producing a polished and extraordinarily fun game. The lack of dedicated servers has been heard enough I'd venture to say.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174

The only con really is there are no dedicated servers. Although, I wouldn't not pickup the game just because of that reason. You can still play together with friends and it's a really fun game.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Single player is only about 5 hours long

There is no mod support

There is no dedicated server support, meaning pings of 90 -100+ are common and "Accepted" personally I havent played with over a 50 ping in a long time.

Hackers cant be kicked from a game... so if you get one in your game, you pretty much just have to take it on the chin till the end of the round.

Size of the games are less than 16 people...

Support on the forums is nonexistant

Communication since launch with the pc community has been non existant.

All of this can be obtained at 10 bucks more than most other games. Im not personally sure if this was IW's doing, or if this is just Activision getting a big head and thinking they can do what they want... either way the only recourse I have is to talk with my money and I wont be buying it till Dedicated servers are implemented.

If you are looking for a damn good FPS I say wait till battlefield bad company 2 coming out first quarter of next year.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Meh, its okay.  Personally I feel that MW1 is far superior to that of MW2 still.

If you don't mind playing with random people every single game and never really getting to know people unless you add them as a steam friend.  You will run into a lot of tubers, little children who think its fun to scream into a mic, and people who keep saying over and over "skip" when they don't like the map.

If you don't mind the feeling of a standard console shooter when it comes to multiplayer, then by all means go for it.  If you want meaningful online play and actually have clan scrims, then just stick to MW1.  All you ever really see clans do in MW2 is clan stack in a random pub game.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

If you are looking for a damn good FPS I say wait till battlefield bad company 2 coming out first quarter of next year.

I agree Bad Company 2 is going to be great and I'm definitely picking it up for the PC, but it's a completely different style of FPS compared to MW2. BC2 is more of a sandbox FPS that allows you to do more things with vehicles, while MW2 is more of an arcade shooter. I picked up MW2 for the 360 and been having a blast.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

No dedicated servers/mod support = No competitive play whatsoever. Everything is so less tight than in cod4. Hit detection, movement, knifing, nading, much more warping and omg why the fuck didn't that guy just die from my gazillion bullets. All thanks to IWNet which is a complete degradation of PC gaming.

And that's just the technical part. The maps, the weapons, the perks are all designed for one. To make everybody be able to kill anybody. If your aim suck balls, grab one of the many grenade/rocket launchers or take some dual shotguns. If you're enviromental awareness is equivalent to that of a blind and deaf person, fine, grab a heartbeat sensor. And even with no skill at all it's easy using noob guns to get über killstreak rewards, meaning unless you're opponents are using various perks to counter those, they are fucked. This forces better players to use Cold Blooded in most of the classes.

The maps are open and cluttered with covers and windows with random unbalanced smaller choke points, all great for TDM, but basically useless for S&D.

The beginning will be fun, you unlock lots of new shit and get to play with different guns. But then you get a better and you start to get pissed that people are warping, there's a noticable delay on hit detection, knifing is HIGHLY incosistant and everyone is using retard guns that are way to overpowered.

Yes, it's pretty shit - at least if you're an avid fps gamer. If you suck monkey balls at fps games, I'm guessing you'll love it.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Respawing enemies is a shitty console concept.

No modding?  No servers ?

Arrggh.. This is a shitty port of a shitty console game.  Say no. 

If you pay 60$ to this game, you hare paying for the PC gamming to die. 

Originally posted by Teiman

Respawing enemies is a shitty console concept.
    No modding?  No servers ?

Arrggh.. This is a shitty port of a shitty console game.  Say no. 
    If you pay 60$ to this game, you hare paying for the PC gamming to die. 

Good thing I didn't pay for my copy then.  Some friends from MW1 bought me a copy trying to convince me it was "uber fun".  Unfortunately, the novelty wore off very fast for them... now we hardly play MW2 at ALL.  The only time we ever play MW2 is when our favorite MW1 servers are empty.

MW1 owns.  OW Hardcore S&D on a Tactical server with custom maps = awesome.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by TheHatter

There are no dedicated servers for Multiplayer. You are grouped into random servers based on skill level or something. Just the fact that it doesn't allow dedicated servers is enough not to waste $60.
    I want it, I really really do and the day they allow for dedicated servers is the day I'll pick it up.

one thing I have noticed is that the supposed match making system is very much broken.. I completed the game in 5 hours 17mins so jumped into some multiplayer, now bearing in mind you start @ lvl1, the map I played on contained 7 players all rank 35 or higher, including a lvl63!!   Now this what I call a broken system!!  

the only other problem aside from the main one I listed above is that if the host gets d/c'd or ragequits then everyone gets "connection to host lost"...  had this a few times and nothing you can do about it, apart from find another match..

also without having dedicated servers, there's no way you can mod, and without mods of maps etc most of these games fail on the pc..

anyway those are my opinions of MW2

Originally posted by Merlin1977

one thing I have noticed is that the supposed match making system is very much broken.. I completed the game in 5 hours 17mins so jumped into some multiplayer, now bearing in mind you start @ lvl1, the map I played on contained 7 players all rank 35 or higher, including a lvl63!!   Now this what I call a broken system!!  

the only other problem aside from the main one I listed above is that if the host gets d/c'd or ragequits then everyone gets "connection to host lost"...  had this a few times and nothing you can do about it, apart from find another match..

also without having dedicated servers, there's no way you can mod, and without mods of maps etc most of these games fail on the pc..

anyway those are my opinions of MW2

Actually, the game will usually migrate to a new host.  Very seldom does the entire game just drop.

However, the Peer 2 Peer networking is a load of crap.... always has been and always will be (unless of course every person is running a hella nice rig and a 20+ mbps connection....)

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

There are no dedicated servers for Multiplayer. You are grouped into random servers based on skill level or something.

Just another retarded idea of IW, there is a point where you improve only if you train with better then you.

• BadMedicineBadMedicine Member Posts: 86

It's not a *bad* game. Indeed, its sin is to be merely good, after the excellence of the first game. It does nothing really new or fresh, and both the campaign and single player are worse than they were in MW1. Spec  Ops is the only thing that saves it from being completely average.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

The biggest problem for me was the fact that IW forgot the starting platform for their games.

PC made them famous and now, they don't give a crap about PC gamers.

Not to mention, that "PC has mouse support" comment was an insult for most CoD fans.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Rigonn

It's been a while since it's launched... What are the Cons/Pros of the PC version for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2?

It is REAL bad.

Games like this ,people buy them to multiplayer,albeit the single player game is decent but of course typical linear stuff.

The Mulitplayer is so infested with cheating it is a complete joke,i quit playing after 3 days,it is not worth the frustration.

What is worse you got little punk kids praising the cheats,they look up to them like they are special it is real pathetic,the maturity level of the gaming community.

What makes it worse is there is seems to be little care about the cheating,i guess that's why the average site has 7000 d/l aimbots alone ,let alone the other cheats like wall hacks.They can actually shoot you right through steel walls.I kind of expected cheating,but not this bad ,right form the first game i played,killcams showed players vlining through rooms right for me,they don't look around at all,just vline.

I quit supporting this game after COD1 because cheating was ridiculous,i thought maybe the anti cheat would be better but no way,there is nothing.

What makes the whole FPS experience real cheap,is they got air strikes that are over powering in the game,makes every game a 90% sure win.The entire game is all about play time,the longer you play the more you unlock and become more powerful than the other guy.I joined this game late,so i am way behind the eight ball,i literally had to play handicapped because of the cheap design.

Until Infinity Ward gives a dam about game play and the cheating in the game,i suggest to hit them in the pocketbook ,by not supporting these guys at all.I should have learned my lesson after COD1,but now i am definitely out,they get no more money from me.

The saddest part of the whole community is that there is a lot of naive players who don't realize the cheating,and a whole ton of cheaters that can make the developer survive,because they are going to support the game  to cheat.At least if the responsible people quit supporting them,they will take a big hit in the future.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NarishmaNarishma Member UncommonPosts: 74

The single player experience is worth the purchase itself, in my opinion.  Linear, yes, but I love a good story. 

The Multiplayer is just as addicting and fun as MW 1.  I haven't run into cheaters yet, no wall hacks or aimbots.  But even so, there is a rumor circulating the IW is going to patch in dedicated servers.  If they do, clans will be able to host their own servers once again, and so they will be able to kick anyone found cheating.

The worst part of the whole experience is the CONSOLE feel of the multiplayer lobby.  Very dissapointing.  You do not choose what server to connect to, you simply pick the game type and the cerntral server puts together matches with gamers that are looking for the same game type.  But again, if they patch in dedicated servers this should be an issue of the past.