Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was a naysayer, but my tune has begun to change.

xyltanxyltan Member Posts: 6

I began playing Alganon in beta a while back, and due to that fact I decided to sub the game because I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I knew beta would have problems, I been in several and have seen some really horrendous issues.  That being said I knew on release that most if not all would be fixed.

Well release day came and all seemed to be going miraculously smoothly, in fact one of the smoothest launches I recall.  After several hours of enjoyable game play without any hitches, it slowly started to begin...  Rubber banding, lag and latency issues.  I continued to play feeling confident there would be a hotfix in the works or a patch, but after 2 patches nothing fixed the problem.  I  began to openly criticize the game.  Well all that changed, the skies opened up and another patch was released, all of the latency and rubber banding ceased.  It was a miracle, because in all honestly Alganon almost lost me, but I now have a renewed faith in the game.  So yes I will eat crow and say I was too hasty and quick to judge Alganon.  The Devs and support staff have done amazing work on this game and continue to do so.

They have even released a Trial Server for those wishing to play and try out the game.  My suggestion give it a shot, who knows you may grudgingly begin to like it.

Comments

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

So you made the account here just to say that? I am glad you are slowly starting to enjoy the game zork but dont you work for them? Kidding Kidding but seriously whats with the only things positive being from low post count just joined folks.

The senior members here know more about MMOs in general but that seems to make them somewhat more bitter.

/shrug Dunno

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by twiggy550

So you made the account here just to say that? I am glad you are slowly starting to enjoy the game zork but dont you work for them? Kidding Kidding but seriously whats with the only things positive being from low post count just joined folks.

The senior members here know more about MMOs in general but that seems to make them somewhat more bitter.

/shrug Dunno

There are a good amount of bitter folks but I look at it a bit different. Some of us have been around MMOs since the early days and sadly seen some of those older games when the tech and concept were new launch and play a hell of a lot better than what is being released today. With age and knowledge should come improved methods and ideas but sadly we seem to be doing a Ben Button where everything has been going in reverse for the last few years. The genre has become less and less original and more of the same. There are exceptions sure but overall I think most of us love the genre but hate the current execution. Then again there are others who just like to stir up shit to.

Oh yeah, I totally agree man. Look at Ultima Online, practically the beginnings of MMOs (aside from MUDS) but I mean, we went from there, to games like Aion.  I don't understand how the genre took a 180 but the complexity in current MMOs sure is disappointing with a few of the exceptions of course.

Wish developers did things more out of the box and try something new, not unlike Planetside stood for back in its day.

Creativity however, has currently been bought out by Blizzard whom claim it's just an unintended bug in the game mechanics. :P

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219

You already posted this exact message when the game launched, are you sure you don't work for them?

Posting a "this game is great" message at launch, followed by silence then followed by "this game is great" again when they launch their trial server?

/shrug Dunno

There are a good amount of bitter folks but I look at it a bit different. Some of us have been around MMOs since the early days and sadly seen some of those older games when the tech and concept were new launch and play a hell of a lot better than what is being released today. With age and knowledge should come improved methods and ideas but sadly we seem to be doing a Ben Button where everything has been going in reverse for the last few years. The genre has become less and less original and more of the same. There are exceptions sure but overall I think most of us love the genre but hate the current execution. Then again there are others who just like to stir up shit to.

Oh yeah, I totally agree man. Look at Ultima Online, practically the beginnings of MMOs (aside from MUDS) but I mean, we went from there, to games like Aion.  I don't understand how the genre took a 180 but the complexity in current MMOs sure is disappointing with a few of the exceptions of course.

Wish developers did things more out of the box and try something new, not unlike Planetside stood for back in its day.

Creativity however, has currently been bought out by Blizzard whom claim it's just an unintended bug in the game mechanics. :P

Did you just claim Ulitma Online was complex? What is so complex about macroing your skills up? Or walking out of town and killing a mob? Ultima Online had all the complexity of a NES game, what it did have was tedious mind numbing skill up system, which you might be confusing for complex. Tedium != Deep and Complex gameplay.

• DarvenxxxDarvenxxx Member Posts: 7

You are telling us rubberbanding and all that has ceased. The forums tell us a different story:

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4074-omfg/

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4112-whining-wall/

http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4081-my-opinion-12-14-2009/

The game, at the moment, is broken. If you enjoy Alganon, it is your opinion, but they will have to do a lot if they want this game to survive. Just saying.

• xyltanxyltan Member Posts: 6

Yes the rubber banding and latency has ceased, and if you bother to look at the forums that you listed they are several days old, almost a week.  I am speaking of current in game mechanics, as we all know mmo's change rapidly.  Also, I'd like to make a remark about the "We're stupid and this isn't transparent at all. We totally believe that it's not part of your marketing attempts." 1) I do not, nor will I ever work for Alganon, so no, I am not marketing the game intentionally for the company.  But, I will not deny the fact that I am enjoying the game and hence , what you see as "marketing".  In fact, if I were to post any positive (and sometimes negative) review on a forum it could be deemed as "marketing" which is absolutely ridiculous.

I also do admit that I am a newbie when it comes to mmorpg forums, as you can all see.  But that shouldn't exclude what I know about mmo's and yes I've been playing them since the glory days of MUD's.  And also have played numerous other mmo's, which I have enjoyed many of, such as Meridian 59,  EQ1 & 2, Daoc, WoW, WaR and the list goes on.  I would have considered myself a hardcore player during the days of EQ and Daoc, but my play style has changed drastically due to the mainstreaming of mmo's over the years.  Which has caused most mmo's to be accessible to the masses and not the few by making them casual.  Which as I get older and have more responsibilities, it becomes evident that the hardcore lifestyle is no longer one that I can afford to play.   Hence my fascination with smaller less known mmo's, such as Alganon, which I can run at my own pace and still feel like I'm getting somewhere. :)

oh P.S. Forgot to wish everyone in my original post a Happy Holiday

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Thenarius

Yeah,it's a great game, try free at Warcraft.com!

Hahaha. Nice one Thenarius. I completely agree.

PS: It's WorldOfWarcraft.com.

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by Darvenxxx

You are telling us rubberbanding and all that has ceased. The forums tell us a different story:

The game, at the moment, is broken. If you enjoy Alganon, it is your opinion, but they will have to do a lot if they want this game to survive. Just saying.

I don't play the game, but I do check their forums from time to time. So I immediately noted something weird about the discussions you point out. They all pre-date the patch that seem to have solved the problem (http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4105-patch-1-1-3-2103/).

I do not know why you are trying to spread lies, but you failed.

--
    Delanor

• DarvenxxxDarvenxxx Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Delanor

I don't play the game, but I do check their forums from time to time. So I immediately noted something weird about the discussions you point out. They all pre-date the patch that seem to have solved the problem (http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4105-patch-1-1-3-2103/).

If you bothered to look at the forums, you would see that there are no threads about "issues resolved yet". I don't personally play Alganon, but keep track of it because a friend plays it. My friend has had grave problems with rubberbanding and just yesterday, he told me the problem still exists for him. He could be an exception, but then, why don't you show me the threads that prove that there is no more rubberbanding? Even if those problems are resolved though, others still exist.

You can accuse me of lying, but you are lying if you say all those problems have been completely solved.

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659

If you bothered to look at the forums, you would see that there are no threads about "issues resolved yet". I don't personally play Alganon, but keep track of it because a friend plays it. My friend has had grave problems with rubberbanding and just yesterday, he told me the problem still exists for him. He could be an exception, but then, why don't you show me the threads that prove that there is no more rubberbanding? Even if those problems are resolved though, others still exist.

You can accuse me of lying, but you are lying if you say all those problems have been completely solved.

You are mistaken again. There is such a thread. And no, I am not implying that all problems are solved. How would I know that, I don't play the game. That is why I used the word seem. It seems so from the responses in that thread. You on the other hand were presenting false evidence for the fact that the problem was still there in an attempt to discredit the OP. The problem might still be there, but that is not the issue here. The issue is that you were lying. Who knows, maybe you still are.

--
    Delanor

Your link was posted on "Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:00 PM"

You just tried to call him out, but failed because his second link was posted on:

"Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:58 PM"

make sure you double check the time stamps, ok? 

[Mod Edit]

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So because the rubber banding and latency is fixed it is now a great game..............................................................................

Originally posted by Margulis

So because the rubber banding and latency is fixed it is now a great game..............................................................................

Nope still a WoW clone -- but one step closer to F2P!

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by TheDarzin

Originally posted by Margulis

Nope still a WoW clone -- but one step closer to F2P!

I would still argue that it is not a WoW clone - it has taken various ideas from different games and mashed them into itself. For example, the study system that is taken from EVE gives the ability to learn things while offline - some increase critical strike chance or dodge or critical strike with daggers, etc. etc.

I never got into the game heavily enough to appreciate things, and I'll probably try out the trial sometime later to see how it's doing, but it's not a WoW clone, they have done some wierd things that augment into the nice UI and progression system that WoW has.

It's a game built for players who have played WoW for a while, but are bored with it.

Anyway, I'ma play some WoW on mah tank.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

What I love is how Allods Online is such a badass game, and is free to play, and is a WoW clone too, but still kicks Alganon's ass.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by Sminchew

So basically its a clone of wow that took all their ideas from other games? 

It only took the study system from eve which isnt even implemented properly, rest is all wow.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by WhackANewbie

What I love is how Allods Online is such a badass game, and is free to play, and is a WoW clone too, but still kicks Alganon's ass.

I wouldn't say Allods Online is badass, but it most definitely is the best F2P MMO that I have tried, and even as a free to play it's much better than Alganon P2P.

Alganon is out right ugly, the animations are horrible, the combat is just like every other MMO out there.. I really don't know what they were thinking going P2P, when there are countless alternatives that are all around better games, from EQ1, EQ2, FFXI, WoW, LOTRO, Aion, hell even WAR and AoC are better in my opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Was my first impression as well.

I may try it out since i have nothing better to do,i just finished that ALLODS and it was VERY boring and way over rated even for a F2P game.Allods uses Mabinogi type graphics,by that i mean the lowest standards you can go without getting into pixels.ALLODS if anything is a lot like WOW in that all you do is move from quest to quest and they are ALL boring as heck,so i had to ask myself why the heck am i still logging into this game,and i deleted the game.

I have not seen one F2P worth paying to play yet,and i have tried pretty much all of them.I had a few games give me an initial good vibe,but once i learned what the game was all about,i was outa there.I feel it is going to be a one day tryout for this game,mu gut is never wrong,I'll prolly be playing COD warfare all Christmas lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DoomReaperDoomReaper Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by xyltan
    Yes the rubber banding and latency has ceased, and if you bother to look at the forums that you listed they are several days old, almost a week.  I am speaking of current in game mechanics, as we all know mmo's change rapidly.

All fine and well saying you don't work for Alganon, how about QoL (the actual company that employs developers, designers and artists to make a game called Alganon)? Mind you, I don't really care if you work for Quest Online.

Now about that rubber banding. Don't post blatant lies, even though my Alganon account is cancelled it's still active till the end of the month. Rubber banding exists in the game today, and it is immediately apparent during combat. In the few cases where it isn't as bad the mobs just insta-warp to you from miles away. Not in the slightest does that constitute an improvement.

Originally posted by Wizardry 
    ALLODS if anything is a lot like WOW in that all you do is move from quest to quest

Replace the word Allods with Alganon, except instead of being set in a shattered world where you get to use space ships and there a lot of options for classes and talents you are stuck using the same exact talent system from WoW,  in essentially the same high fantasy world setting bouncing from quest to quest, except... there is nothing else to do ever. No dungeons, no pvp, and very little else but mob grind/quest. But hey, if you think one quest grind that offers some variety is better than another quest grind that offers nothing at the end, well have fun.

But, I will not deny the fact that I am enjoying the game and hence , what you see as "marketing".  In fact, if I were to post any positive (and sometimes negative) review on a forum it could be deemed as "marketing" which is absolutely ridiculous.

What is ridiculous is that out of 6 posts, 2 are a double post and 1 is the original post here. Half of your posts are unabashedly glowing reviews of the game. Which is fine, but for you to only post when something major happens (Launch and then the Trial Server) is a suspicious pattern of behavior. It would appear to any outside observer that given this trend you might be working for some marketing campaign for QoL.

Of course if you did work for them, would you admit it? Not a chance. That would ruin part of the viral marketing.

The other indication that your post might be Viral Marketing, besides the fact that you only post during certain events, is that you waited until your "Life in Alganon" posts were on page 2, and then started this post off by saying "was a naysayer." It's called establishing a "rapport." You are attempting to convince us by claiming you are just like us. Of course, it's hard to believe since your only other posts involved you telling us how great the game was from launch.

Your post reads like a manual on how to influence people... you first establish a relationship with your target -- I am just like you, I was also a naysayer! Tell us your history so we can relate to you -- I started back in beta, almost every game has issues, but I have faith in Company X to fix all their issues! Tell us why company X is great -- Launch day was smooth! But then I ran into issues, and was about to complain but then, as if they read my mind everything was fixed! They fixed everything and now I am happy again because my faith wasn't misplaced! Then throw in the hook -- hey, I was just like you so you can trust me, and now they have a Trial Server! You should all check it out, I put my trust in company X, and I am like you, so you should do the same.

My suggestion -- QoL needs to stop thinking we are idiots. Of course, since we have all been brainwashed to think different is better maybe they are trying to brainwash us into thinking the same old thing is good!

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

I  began to openly criticize the game. 

That is a lie. In the few posts that you have made, you have not criticized the game at all.

That is fine, it's your opinion (funded by money no doubt), but do not lie about it.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

/shrug Dunno

Yeah, same here. I kinda chuckle when I see people use words like "evolving" to describe the way the MMORPG genre has gone in the last several years.

The genre has been and continues to - for the most part - stagnate.

It's the same thing that happens with any product when it becomes popular. Before, MMORPGs were this strange concept that were not proven as being a profitable venture to get into, and so many companies stayed away from them. During this time is when you saw all the different MMOs, each their own unique experience, enter the scene - UO, EQ, AC, DAoC, Eve, FFXI, Ryzom, etc. etc. Each of those MMOs is a different experience unto itself, its own lore, setting, game mechanics, presentation, much larger and more involved gameplay, etc. etc. You would not play any one of those other MMOs and mistake it for one of the others. They were each their own unique product.

Once WoW hit the scene and showed that a MMO could make ridiculous money... Suddenly, everyone who ignored them before took notice. They said "Hey... we want some of that pie... Make a MMO, and make it similar to WoW" and began doing what happens in every other case... started churning out their own MMORPGs, none of them veering - at least very far - from the WoW formula... some of them doing a better job of hiding the fact they were using it as their template... None of them veering too far away from that model as "it wasn't the proven money-making approach". And, thus, the homogenization and stagnation of the genre began, and has not slowed.

Now it's up to the smaller, indie companies  to take up the torch and attempt to keep bringing us new MMORPGs created with that same spirit of originality and creativity that all those older, so-called "First Gen" MMOs did. Because now that tens of millions of dollars are at stake in each project.. no way are (m)any of the bigger companies going to take those kinds of risks like they would have before.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• LochdarLochdar Member Posts: 30

Allods Online is a PoS as well tho, steer clear at all costs. It's like WoW with really bad art direction.

Lost and depressed, where are the good MMOs at?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Lochdar

Allods Online is a PoS as well tho, steer clear at all costs. It's like WoW with really bad art direction.

Allods is not a PoS.  It is an amazing game that is in all likelyhood going to dominate the F2P MMO market just like WoW dominated the P2P MMO market.  Allods is no WoW killer, and has its share of issues and stuff, but it is as close as a WoW killer will ever get (especially with a F2P game).  Alganon is a PoS and should be steered clear of at all costs, not Allods.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?