Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current best F2P...DRUM ROLL....

ROHAN ONLINE

Hold your tongue...breathe...exhale...very good.  I researched the internet and wanted to know the main reason why Rohan Online did not have the appropriate recognition, and I was in shock.  The main reason...again hold your breathe...exhale. If you are  thinking of grinding perhaps but the major reason,  graphics.

It turns out in order to really appreciate Rohan Online in its beauty a little bit of playing around with the graphics settings was to turn off "BLOOM OPTION," and have Antiliasing (keeps staircase effect from occurring) on.

I remember when I first played for the first time I said, "I have a powerful graphics card, and this game is on high settings, it looks horrible."

Though as my innate open minded nature kept me from quitting on the game I searched endlessly in forums, even on mmorpg.com and everyone had the same problem.  Well I searched...and searched...and there it was all along the settings to make Rohan Online look wonderful.

And here it is for you gamers out there...with older graphic cards...

Anti Aliasing/Multisampling: 4x

Anisotrope Filtering: 8x

V-Sync on + Triple Bufffer (these two options aren't needed, only if you get the "tearing effect": either turn both on or turn both off)

Texture Filter Setting: Quality (dont use High Quality, otherwise the driver will ignore alot of other settings)

Trilinear Optimization: off

Anisotropic Sample Optimization: off

Negative LOD Bias: don't allow it

Force MipMaps: TRILINEAR

And if you get an older graphic card dont use the glow effect, otherwise you can't force anti aliasing. Anti Aliasing > Glow Effect imho.

forum.playrohan.com/forum/viewtopic.php

Another game that suffers from this is Blood Requiem but it could not defeat RO for my pick as f2p.

In addition in the first few levels I did not see a soul, I could rarely see a player pass by me...I searched the towns and cities and could not figure out where everyone was...until after a nice player told me, "Everyone is over that hill yonder."

He/She was right I could not guess it but around 30 players of every type of level where gathered in front of an instance, as I entered the instance I noticed another 30-40 players in the same instance.  Truly amazed that the lag was not an issue...praise.

Now the community is up to par with my demands.  I can ask a question and someone is there eager to help.  Though I have realized some are lost in translation as you have players form all over the world, luckily I know a few languages. 

The biggest Pro to this game that kept me playing...regardless of grind (grinding is ridiculous in this game) was the addictive armor upgrading.  So if your a level 5 you can wear level 15 armor if your lucky enough to lower its prerequisites...a gamble.

Reaching level 30 the game gets routine, find a group and grind your brains out...however once you reach endgame pvp kicks in, at a certain level anyone can attack.  You will see hordes of guild members attacking others, or showing off their dominance on a server...true tyranny.

There are enough classes to choose from and a decent...DECENT... amount of looks to choose from.

To this day I still grind away but I for some reason enjoy showing off my newly acquired armor.

Yes there is crafting, an auction etc...I'll worry more about that when I hit end game.  

I hate putting a number on games so I'll just say my final thoughts, Graphics sexy and decent, Replay Routine but addictive, PvP annoying but enjoyable, Crafting complicated for first timers priceless once learned, Community is lost in translation sometimes

While for many grinding issues and a cash shop will leave a sour taste in their mouths, I can truly say its one game where I found myself playing comfortably.

I am sure another game will come out to overshadow this opinion of mine but so far its the closest game I can playf for free rather than Lineage 2.

Comments

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

I beg to differ, this game is a pure grind, quests are all the same (Kill 200 of this, etc. the amount of monster to kill shoots up right at the start), some are even bugged and cant be finished :S. The graphics are mediocre at best, it just looks choppy and unfinished. The only thing i liked were the cool animations (the attack moves). Sorry but i disagree with your advertisement ^^

• gamergurugamerguru Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by misterdurp

I beg to differ, this game is a pure grind, quests are all the same (Kill 200 of this, etc. the amount of monster to kill shoots up right at the start), some are even bugged and cant be finished :S. The graphics are mediocre at best, it just looks choppy and unfinished. The only thing i liked were the cool animations (the attack moves). Sorry but i disagree with your advertisement ^^

PURE GRIND? are you freaking serious? You do know ALL games are grind...seriously name one game thats an mmorpg that has no grind....i thought so...

THE GRAPHICS are comparable to lineage 2 ?  What are you doing looking at how the pixels are rendered while fighting?...the game is well made...it may have its rough spots but arent all games in some way flawed?....

I have to agree the animations are nicely done... I have to agree with OP this is if not ONE of the best f2p as of now the community is HUGE...and i really love the guild war battles....sweetness

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Out of all "grindy f2p" ones I do have to say it was decent. They do a talent tree thing like what is used all over, but instead it's your actual ability set, and I really think it worked well. PvP is interesting because it's imbalanced in a good kind of way; mages nuke people real quick, yet take a slight breeze and keel over. For a free game, it's pretty damn good, but it really does fall into the typical face-melting mob grind quickly enough... but what f2p doesn't? Comes with the territory it seems.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157
    Originally posted by gamerguru

Originally posted by misterdurp

PURE GRIND? are you freaking serious? You do know ALL games are grind...seriously name one game thats an mmorpg that has no grind....i thought so...

THE GRAPHICS are comparable to lineage 2 ?  What are you doing looking at how the pixels are rendered while fighting?...the game is well made...it may have its rough spots but arent all games in some way flawed?....

I have to agree the animations are nicely done... I have to agree with OP this is if not ONE of the best f2p as of now the community is HUGE...and i really love the guild war battles....sweetness

all games have a grind, but this one takes it to extremes. the graphics are just choppy, even well done 2d games look more crisp then this. the community is not huge, they recently merged the servers cause since the botters were being banned the population took a massive hit.

But im glad some can enjoy this game, by all means keep playing it, im not gonna stick around just to bash it. Happy gaming!

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Marketing ploy, see the big "USER DELETED" at the top?

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

I had the same experience as OP.

When I first logged in at the default 1024x768 screen settings with aliasing all over it looked rather bleh.

But after setting the screen to 1920x1080, with anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering it looked really nice.