Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ok i now agree firefox rocks!!!!!!

got tired of about:blank so used my restore disks and dl firefox OMG works great and the free additional software you can get from them rocks and i forgot about memturbo lol hopefully i will be blank free for a long time just need to stay away from the one site i got it from one of the links at a naughty website lol::::20::::::28::

Comments

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Yes, it is seriously competing with MS Explorer now since in a recent survey, 6% of Windows users use Firefox, 93% use Explorer and 1% use other browsers, all in its 3 months of 1.0 release. Knowing Micro$oft, they will try to merge once the competition gets too hot.

Speed up firefox.

http://forevergeek.com/open_source/make_firefox_faster.php

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I don't think thats possible, it was created using netscape technology which was open source.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

I am assuming you mean the speeding up. Well, it does work since it manually increases bandwidth to your firefox webbrowser. Try it. There is an obvious change once you do it right, which only takes about 45 seconds of customization.

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

Originally posted by Kiamde
    I am assuming you mean the speeding up. Well, it does work since it manually increases bandwidth to your firefox webbrowser. Try it. There is an obvious change once you do it right, which only takes about 45 seconds of customization.

no, I am referring to MS trying to merge them. As for anything that increases your bandwidth? Thats impossible, it may cache more, but there is no way on a client side to actually increase your bandwidth, your line physically has a limit.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Hey, don't ask me, I know nothing about servers and browsers. I cannot even work an FTP server correctly. I only read this in Wire.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by Fadeus

no, I am referring to MS trying to merge them. As for anything that increases your bandwidth? Thats impossible, it may cache more, but there is no way on a client side to actually increase your bandwidth, your line physically has a limit.

Yes you are right Fadeus, It cannot increase your bandwidth. However what It does is create multiple connections so when your loading a page, it can load different files at a time. Of course, if your using dial up or something this trick won't come handy.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • JohnarkJohnark Member Posts: 901

Firefox is the best!  Just with MMORPG.com's forums, it seems to be a lot more optimized, somehow, for Firefox than with Explorer, which is a great thing.  I think the only reason why there are more Explorer users is cause there isn't enough publicity for Firefox.  Not many people know about it, I tried converting some of my friends but their excuse is that Firefox does not display the "real way" a webpage is supose to display itself and Explorer does.

I've only been using Firefox for 1 month, and I've encountered 1 game webpage where somehow the tables were screwed up, but for that page and that page only, I decided to open it with Explorer just to read it.

OMG... the pop-ups!!! For that one time I wanted to read the page using Explorer, pop-ups everywhere!  It's horrible!  Firefox blocks everything!  Explorer you gotta install tones of RAM consuming crap Anti-Pop-Up softwares!

But the best is how Firefox knows what to block!  There are webpages where you gotta fill in forms and stuff like that, somehow it's able to know if it has to show a Good pop-up, and does not allow any advertisement pop-ups!  With Explorer and a Pop-up Stopper, it stops every single pop-up!  Even the ones you need to view! 

But yeah, we all know that if too many people start using Firefox, Micro$oft will do something, like buy out the company or do something to make Firefox die.  It's horrible.

___________ ___ __ _ _ _
    Stealth - Ambush - Hemorrhage - Sinister Strike x2 - Cold Blood - Eviscerate - Vanish - Preparation - Cold Blood - Ambush - ... you're dead! :P

Originally posted by rathma
    Originally posted by Fadeus

Yes you are right Fadeus, It cannot increase your bandwidth. However what It does is create multiple connections so when your loading a page, it can load different files at a time. Of course, if your using dial up or something this trick won't come handy.

Well that makes more sense, thats the browser engine working, not you getting more bandwidth. What you just explained makes complete sense though, and yes that could speed things up abit. I don't use firefox or IE on a regular basis so I don't really pay attention to which renders pages more quickly. IE can get grossly bastardized quickly if the person doesn't watch what they are doing and that can effect load time a great deal.

The only time I use either anymore is when I am double checking my work to make sure it renders properly in all 3 browsers, but I usually use mozilla red to check the gecko engine and not firefox.

Enjoy your browsing!

- Scaris

Originally posted by Johnark
    But yeah, we all know that if too many people start using Firefox, Micro$oft will do something, like buy out the company or do something to make Firefox die.  It's horrible.

As I already said, I don't beleive thats possible since Firefox was created using netscape technology which is open source.

- Scaris

Hey, don't ask me, I know nothing about servers and browsers. I cannot even work an FTP server correctly. I only read this in Wire.

<chuckles> well firefox is netscape under the hook, just highly modified.

- Scaris