Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Guild Wars 2's hook?

Leonidus0Leonidus0 Member Posts: 97

So we know that everygame has a hook, or at least it should, to make it stand out more. WoW has well, pretty much everything. Aion has flying (as much as a gimmick as that might be), AoC has mature themes, ect.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what will be GW2's drawing point. How will it stand out so that someone who's looking for an MMORPG will not look pass it? Surely there must be some enticing feature about it.

I love the original GW's skill over time aspect. You can get into the game and play at an adequate level in the competitive scene in a couple of weeks

So far, the only big difference I know with GW2 is that there's no monthly payment. But really... is that the only thing it has that's semi-different from other MMORPG's? For the people who swear by this game, what unique characteristic gets you hyped about the game? I hope you aren't hyped just because you like the original GW's...that's just blind fanatacism.

Comments

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

alot of us liked the original GW classes and playstyle but HATED the instaced world it was its only downfall. gw2 is suppose to be an open world wich was the only thing GW2 needed to make me look forward to it. i mean i'm not super overly hyped about it but i am looking forward to it.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I haven't really thought about anything specific...I just think it sounds cool.

• ThzlolThzlol Member UncommonPosts: 38

The hook for me has always been its pvp.  If GW2's pvp is even remotely close to how dynamic of a system they achieved in the original, it will be a success in my book.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

best f2p in the marked that have the best pvp going open world STILL ftp with better gfx?

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

well the fact that its free and beautiful pretty much adds up for the hook the pole the line and the bait.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

I never played gw1 but heard good things about it.  Im seeing gw2 as new fantasy mmorpg made by a company that knows how to do it right.  I dont need something different, just good. 

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Though there are a few things that make Guild  Wars 2 really stand out, I think what has peeked my interest in this game is the PVP style, The World vs world pvp for resources as explained as "The Mists" as well as the player interactive event system.

The way they explained the event system, it sounds outstanding to keep players "involved" with the game itself. For example, If players on your world do not kill enough centaurs, the centaurs will mount an attack on the cities and hold the cities until players themselves mount a counter attack and take them back, but if players kill enough centaurs on that world something different will happen instead. I love the idea of things changing, just as they would in reality.

What the players actually do matters in this game, unlike the bulk of the mmos out there where the world remains predictable.

The quality Arena Net has shown us in the past, as well as their dedication to their players by providing excellent customer service, taking an active interest in their players interests in game, and honoring their core beliefs that players should not have to pay a monthly fee to receive outstanding quality in a game puts them in a class of their own.

From playing guildwars 1, I was most impressed with the way all classes could be played well. Unlike most mmos where one class slaughters the rest, Guild wars is more dependant on players own ability to play a class well. This allows for players to be able to challange themselves and play different classes effectively suiting their own tastes and skills rather than be forced to play a certain class due to poor class mechanics. I actually deteste class based systems, but this one was much better layed out than many I have seen.

I enjoyed the use of strategy, you decide what abilities you want to use in battle, and can switch them in betweeen battles. You had to put careful thought into what you set on your tool bar, because once in battle you cannot change it.

The other really interesting thing about Guild Wars1, was that you did not have to grind to play the game. If you wanted you could create a max lvl player and go at it in the arena without doing anything else , you could. Granted, you will gain much more in game by making a PVE character, you are not forced to in order to participate. However,  I would most definately reccomend making a pve character in order to gain more skills and concept of the game itself .

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

well, the hooks are just the same as in GW1, and that's fine for me.

and then there's the world event system which sounds really awesome, but i need to see it to believe it...

Hype train -> Reality

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Here's the things that sets GW2 apart as I see it.

- Massive underwater exploration. The underwater map should be almost as big as the one above water, so it should be really big. You can stay under water almost indefenetly. You can fight underwater.

- Events. There will not be many regular quests if any at all?(perhaps your personal storyline will be regular quests). Events happen all over the world and you can participate in them or not, but the world will change for a time based on the players actions.

- Your personal story. There will be many story archs to follow through the game. Based on your decisions your story will be unique. Anet has stated they want to create the best story driven game ever created, but how they are going about this and how many stories you can choose from we don't know yet.

- World vs world pvp. Unlike the first GW, GW2 will be split up in multiple servers and the servers will fight against each other in massive pvp battle in a special area of the gameworld called the mists. An unlimited number of players can paticipate and a battle will last for a few weeks, before your server is put up against another server.

- Balanced pvp. Just like the first GW, the second will also feature pvp where all players are set to the same level, and the only thing that matters is the skill of your team.

Other games have tried to do many of these things before but GW2 should take them to a new level.

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Leonidus0

I hope you aren't hyped just because you like the original GW's...that's just blind fanatacism.

I trust arena net which is why i will love anything that comes out of their room.

I enojyed the story telling in their game. it felt more like a book that you actually get to live through instead of read, and their campaigns were mostly very well written out. i'm usually found playing the pve solo and they did very well letting players get through the story on their own. (of course some missions were harder than others using the henchmen they provided).

in pvp i have always liked the casual pvp. and theyre keeping that, but not getting rid of the hardcore pvp. smart of them because the hardcore pvp really is one of the best things about guild wars.

mainly its just because i trust anet to develop a great game. theyve done it once and have learned it seems from the players and are confident in their sequel :)

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Leonona

Here's the things that sets GW2 apart as I see it.
    - Massive underwater exploration. The underwater map should be almost as big as the one above water, so it should be really big. You can stay under water almost indefenetly. You can fight underwater.
    - Events. There will not be many regular quests if any at all?(perhaps your personal storyline will be regular quests). Events happen all over the world and you can participate in them or not, but the world will change for a time based on the players actions.
    - Your personal story. There will be many story archs to follow through the game. Based on your decisions your story will be unique. Anet has stated they want to create the best story driven game ever created, but how they are going about this and how many stories you can choose from we don't know yet.
    - World vs world pvp. Unlike the first GW, GW2 will be split up in multiple servers and the servers will fight against each other in massive pvp battle in a special area of the gameworld called the mists. An unlimited number of players can paticipate and a battle will last for a few weeks, before your server is put up against another server.
    - Balanced pvp. Just like the first GW, the second will also feature pvp where all players are set to the same level, and the only thing that matters is the skill of your team.
    Other games have tried to do many of these things before but GW2 should take them to a new level.

Good list. I'm also looking forward to different playable races and more freedom of movement.

• MushroomusMushroomus Member Posts: 70

Guild Wars was probably the single best game I ever played. I've played it the longest out of any game. Even if I quit, I end up coming back to play more. Guild Wars 2 is going to have all the best parts of GW1 and all the bad parts from it will turn in to the best parts. The BEST part is, STILL NO MONTHLY FEE!!! Is Arena Net a genius? Or are the other companies just retarded? No monthly fee and no item mall IS the way to go. Why don't other companies realize this EVER. I think I've made my point.

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

50% of tyria will be underwater content.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Its the whole package not the separate features. And its a game with the best of GW1 so what is there not to like?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

The hook is that it is an MMO and every new MMO might be good.

Back before MMOs went mainstream, we didn't have things like hooks. We just had MMOs. We already played all the pre-mainstream mmos to death, and all of the post-mainstream MMOs are garbage.

Thus, we look forward to every new MMO as one that might be good again.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

ArenaNet is the only game company that has not bored me to death with meaningless trype.  They have earned my trust and my money when this game comes out.  Will I like it?  Don't know.  I don't care for PvP at all and tend to avoid it and from what I have read, there is too much focus on PvP for my tastes.  But I will buy and try GW2 to see what it is really like.

Having played almost every MMO out there, this is the only company that I would say "I'll try it" this early in development.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

I just hope it has the same class system.

• asurakingasuraking Member Posts: 13

The most underwater exploration of any game.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Zerocyde

The hook is that it is an MMO and every new MMO might be good.
    Back before MMOs went mainstream, we didn't have things like hooks. We just had MMOs. We already played all the pre-mainstream mmos to death, and all of the post-mainstream MMOs are garbage.
    Thus, we look forward to every new MMO as one that might be good again.

I like this guy's answer simply for its Bourgeoisie honesty.

Ironically... GW's hook is definitely its Accessibility.  IE:  Looks good enough to suck anyone in and it's free so they can always come back to it later when they get bored with their next "Shiniest Thing to come out".

Also, it's gonna have some addicting elements to it that GW1 totally lacked.  (...No I'm not going into Details yet)

• xanarotxanarot Member Posts: 26

Try the 

-Unique setup of AI, so no hours waiting on groups like the failed WOW system

-Small instances, so no need to dedicate 5+ hours to a single dungeon (assuming you dont need to wait hours first)

-No monthly fee at all

-Way less downtime then p2p games as WoW (sounds strange eh, but true)

-Option to solo just about anything as any class

-The continueing storyline

-Showing off your HoM

and if gw2 stays true to gw1:

-Options to do whatever you wish of melee/support/tank/heal/ranged/magic/damage or a combination thereof regardless of the chosen proffesion (no being forced into staying what you chose at day 1)

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Leonidus0

So we know that everygame has a hook, or at least it should, to make it stand out more. WoW has well, pretty much everything. Aion has flying (as much as a gimmick as that might be), AoC has mature themes, ect.
    I'm sitting here trying to figure out what will be GW2's drawing point. How will it stand out so that someone who's looking for an MMORPG will not look pass it? Surely there must be some enticing feature about it.
    I love the original GW's skill over time aspect. You can get into the game and play at an adequate level in the competitive scene in a couple of weeks
    So far, the only big difference I know with GW2 is that there's no monthly payment. But really... is that the only thing it has that's semi-different from other MMORPG's? For the people who swear by this game, what unique characteristic gets you hyped about the game? I hope you aren't hyped just because you like the original GW's...that's just blind fanatacism.

wow hook was warcraft

gw2 hook is gw1

and only player having experienced content can understand

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

GW1 is still the best MMO I have played over the past many years. Combat was awesome. PvP was good. GvG was very fun. Dungeons were the right length. It was so much fun only having 8 skills to choose from, and to be able to try out multiple builds. And no, the instances were not as disliked as most people think or claim. Many of us who played GW1 liked the instanced parts of the world... screw other people ganking you, or stealing mobs, or harassing you... it was a great way to get out into the world and explore and have fun on your own, or with friends, without the asshats trying to ruin things for you.

The only reason I left GW1 is because they announced GW2 a few years back. I was a hardcore 16 hour a day player, and within a week I was gone. There was no way I was going to invest any more time in a game that was going to be replaced. There was no way I was going to invest any more time into things that would not transfer over. Sure, at the beginning, there were tons of claims you would be able to transfer items, armor, toons, etc over to GW2, but I knew it wouldn't happen. And as it turns out, I was right. Sure you can bring the "names" of your toons over, and the titles... big deal... titles? In video games? ROFL...

So the hook for me is simple. They got GW1 right. I'll lay my $50 down that they get GW2 right. And I will probably keep playing until they announce GW3.