Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is absolute BS.

ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Having to see in giant letters...

"PVP FAIL!!!"

on top of a Shadowbane screen shot every damned time I come to this site is an absolute disgrace to the greatest pvp ever to grace the world of MMORPGs. Shadowbane was an absolute success in every aspect other than graphics and engine quality. It was the developers who failed.

The game was VERY hard, and VERY unforgiving, that means that the vast majority of people who tried the game left immediately screaming failure. Those of us that stuck with it were rewarded with the only mmo made so far to feature real pvp.

Then, it was taken away from us by a garbage company (ubisoft) wanting to focus on the kiddy gamer market (consoles) and what do we get for our suffering? We get people from the majority that failed at Shadowbane getting the right to plaster their biased, uneducated slander about something VERY near and dear to our hearts all over the front page of our favorite MMORPG website.

Thanks MMORPG.com, thanks.

EDIT: There is probably way too much QQ in this post, but dammnit, when you live constantly in an ocean of people who call you a fool because THEY were too shortsighted to see the one and only MMO that has succeeded in what every online RPG since the fist mud has tried and failed to, and then see crap like this, it hurts.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

Comments

• RevoSaxonRevoSaxon Member Posts: 1

@ Zero

I must offer you a helping hand as you seem troubled. I never participated in Shadowbane so you must excuse my ignorance on the topic. It seems it has become a scape goat and it probably will remain that way.

So what now you ask?

Pull yourself together before someone else sees you like this. You claim Shadowbane to be a spectacle yet you are in ruins on an internet forum. Be the face of the Shadowbane survivors. The last thing you need now is for someone to make a mockery of the Shadowbane community.

And remember your bear is calling

Searching for the Blues Since 83

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Zerocyde

There is way too much QQ in this post

You summed it up right there. Don't forget your rose tinted glasses.

• AchillezAchillez Member UncommonPosts: 105

SB was my first MMORPG and the only way to hold me in it for more than a few months. I miss the PvP in that game so much that everything seems so lackluster and boring. Why would it be sooo difficult to take the system that shined above all else in an otherwise broken game, and put it in a nice, new, fully functional package?

I too was rather ticked off to see them use SB screenshots in an article about failed PvP, seeing as it had the best PvP system to date in a fair number of gamers eyes. I think Fury screenshots would have been MUCH more acceptable. :)

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    Originally posted by Achillez

I too was rather ticked off to see them use SB screenshots in an article about failed PvP, seeing as it had the best PvP system to date in a fair number of gamers eyes. I think Fury screenshots would have been MUCH more acceptable. :)

" When Shadowbane finally launched, it was an innovative sandbox-PvP design that was crippled by game-killing bugs, tedious leveling, and exploit-ridden combat."

Innovative sandbox-pvp design? Those heartless bastards! How dare they tarnish the Shadowbane name by calling its pvp "innovative"? Do they know who they're talking to? /fanboyrant

Reading comprehension must be your Achilles heel, if you get my drift.

Oh, I don't gotta worry. The re-launch is mere months away. Yall can see for yourselves then. :P

Relaunch was back in 2008. Game's over, you didn't make it to the Superbowl this year.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

"PVP FAIL!!!"
    on top of a Shadowbane screen shot every damned time I come to this site is an absolute disgrace to the greatest pvp ever to grace the world of MMORPGs. Shadowbane was an absolute success in every aspect other than graphics and engine quality. It was the developers who failed.
    The game was VERY hard, and VERY unforgiving, that means that the vast majority of people who tried the game left immediately screaming failure. Those of us that stuck with it were rewarded with the only mmo made so far to feature real pvp.
    Then, it was taken away from us by a garbage company (ubisoft) wanting to focus on the kiddy gamer market (consoles) and what do we get for our suffering? We get people from the majority that failed at Shadowbane getting the right to plaster their biased, uneducated slander about something VERY near and dear to our hearts all over the front page of our favorite MMORPG website.
    EDIT: There is probably way too much QQ in this post, but dammnit, when you live constantly in an ocean of people who call you a fool because THEY were too shortsighted to see the one and only MMO that has succeeded in what every online RPG since the fist mud has tried and failed to, and then see crap like this, it hurts.

You said that SB is good, that is your view.

You said that SB has failed, that is a fact.

You blame it on ubisoft, that is a view.

You blame the reason as focusing on kiddy gamer market, a view that is coated in very obscured words.

Someone used SB to illustrated PvP failure, yes that is their view.

You come here to complain.

Apart from the fact that SB has already folded up, everything else you brought up are views of you or somebody.  No one is right or wrong, it is just opinion.

• PumpkinheroPumpkinhero Member Posts: 23

Funny... I read up to here and barely an hour after the OP created this and you already ruined his topic and made him regret opening his mouth in the first place...

Damn you guys are good.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Scott is becoming Lum again, but its an evil carebear version.

Shadowbane didn't fail because of PVP.  The PVP made it huge and popular before its release.  Everyone knew they were going to get slaughtered, just as they did buying AoC (all 800,000 players for AoC).  Yet the bugs, crashes, and holes killed Shadowbane.  The market is there and its bigger than any company realizes.  Wait until the Darkfall developers buy a Yacht IRL and laugh as Scott and other devs as AV rakes in the money.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

"PVP FAIL!!!"

Your just as bad as the people your bashing. Kinda sad really.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

OP is proving what was mentioned in a recent article, hardcore PvP players tend, as a stereotype, to be very unique and special snowflakes.

Makes me wonder if OP played same game as i did when it launched.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by -Zeno-

Scott is becoming Lum again, but its an evil carebear version.
    Shadowbane didn't fail because of PVP.  The PVP made it huge and popular before its release.  Everyone knew they were going to get slaughtered, just as they did buying AoC (all 800,000 players for AoC).  Yet the bugs, crashes, and holes killed Shadowbane.  The market is there and its bigger than any company realizes.  Wait until the Darkfall developers buy a Yacht IRL and laugh as Scott and other devs as AV rakes in the money.

With DAoC, we all know that PvP is not totally unbearable.  There are enough people willing to RvR at the frontier, every day.

Now SB failed b/c of game, that is a failed implementation.  One of the shuttles blew up when launching.  That does not negate the whole idea of space shuttle.

Will DF rakes in the money?  God knows.  Right now, it has not.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

Darkfall is the stepping stone for future games of its kinda. However, it will never truly be what it set out to be in the first place. They did a very average job at making the game. That isn't bad considering AV is such a small developer. Still the only way this genre will really take off is if a big time dev comes along and sinks real money and time into making a true pvp sandbox.

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

I had some good times in shadowbane and loved the character development/leveling system it had. Its also one of the few mmo's where you had to keep an eye on anyone playing a thief  because they could steal items out of your inventory.  It was a shame how sb turned out due to all the bugs but I think it can make a serious comeba..... sb.exe ERROR

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I lasted a few weeks in Shadowbane but getting ganked and looted was really not enjoyable and only getting to play 3 or 4 hours a week i was dead on arrival anyway.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by Kyleran

OP is proving what was mentioned in a recent article, hardcore PvP players tend, as a stereotype, to be very unique and special snowflakes.
    Makes me wonder if OP played same game as i did when it launched.

QFT

I admit, Shadowbane had a lot of potential, and when it worked, it was a fun experience. But a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and a lot of them were flawed... except my Confessor build, good god did I tear some shit up with it.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097
    Originally posted by shamall

I had some good times in shadowbane and loved the character development/leveling system it had. Its also one of the few mmo's where you had to keep an eye on anyone playing a thief  because they could steal items out of your inventory.  It was a shame how sb turned out due to all the bugs but I think it can make a serious comeba..... sb.exe ERROR

so true... so true.

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Shadowbane was epic fail.

The persons Shadowbane appeals to is not those I would define "sane".

Case closed.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Shadowbane had some exciting ideas, sometimes it was fun, others it sucked dead goat balls. Overall I liked it and enjoyed the game despite many points I found to be annoying, pots being too important, everyone needing certain buffs to compete, in game economy was ridiculous when you go to shop and just get raped each time so everyone lives in safe zones and trades there making cities just redundant in my opinion.

Darkfall has taken many aspects of SB and built on them, making them workable. Also there's no point and click button mashing combat, give DFO a try before SBs relaunch (didn't know it was relaunching!).

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Shadowbane had some exciting ideas, sometimes it was fun, others it sucked dead goat balls. Overall I liked it and enjoyed the game despite many points I found to be annoying, pots being too important, everyone needing certain buffs to compete, in game economy was ridiculous when you go to shop and just get raped each time so everyone lives in safe zones and trades there making cities just redundant in my opinion.
    Darkfall has taken many aspects of SB and built on them, making them workable. Also there's no point and click button mashing combat, give DFO a try before SBs relaunch (didn't know it was relaunching!).

The one thing Darkfall screwed up was the PvE aspect, which is a game breaker for me. In SB ... I could kill just about everything, which was perfect... because chances are I'd get ganked on my way to bank. Which is how it ran in DF for awhile... simplistic PvE structure, then they changed it to be more difficult. Which means new players are stuck on the same mobs for month(s). Little rewards, little exploration... little incentive to continue grinding.

SB did PvE right... make it as simple and secondary as possible. PvP is where the game is, DF should take a lesson. Df isn't a bad game, it has a ton of potential... and if they hadn't screwed my buddies and I with the new mob changes, we would still be playing.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

"PVP FAIL!!!"

Bugs, exploits, bugs, asian zergs, bugs, lack of budget, keycloning, and bugs are what truly killed Shadowbane. The game was around for six years, roughly half that time it was pay to play. I enjoyed the hell out of it and on average had up to four accounts running when it was pay to play. I also never had trouble finding more than enough people to nation up with and have some damn good wars with. When I consider it outlasted games like Matrix Online and Tabula Rasa,  and was more lively than other  PVP games such as AOC and Warhammer Online, I feel Shadowbane didn't fair all that badly. Especially since it was created in the early days of MMOs and the game authors didn't have much previous game experience to draw from.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

The article in reference is very pro-WoW, imo, so I'm not listening to anything he said. =P

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Shadowbane. Ahh yes, such a pinniacle of PvP gaming where you A: Grinded on mobs for weeks on end to reach a level where you could attack anyone, B: Grinded on mobs for weeks on end to get gold to solo build their flawed city system, C: Endured their terrible GUI, controls. engine, randomly generated and generally shitty game world. 

Surely how could they say such terrible things about shadowbane!

Seriously, the only thing that didn't suck about it was the fact that the races/classes were novel, and it had good lore. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Originally posted by Omali

Relaunch was back in 2008. Game's over, you didn't make it to the Superbowl this year.

Ok, my bad, I meant the re-re-launch that is months away.

Link? More info? Something?

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 427

I find this post, like the ones on Mr. Jenning's article, show that people need to go back and re-read the article. What I got from it is how he speaking about dev's/companies handling of pvp and if they get the mix wrong, pvp can train wreck a MMORPG faster than anything. Luckily, everyone thought he was going after pvpers and ignored all the good points he made (I will admit, he was not overly flattering in his description of pvpers, but then again, I'm not sure he was wrong there either for the most part.).

To see a screenie from SB and the title "PVP FAIL: how you can break your game" when you log, and it in someway offends you, means you have a increadible thin kin. When someone gets killed in your city and the newspaper run a picture of it with the title "MURDER IN RANDOMVILLE", does it provoke this reaction for you?

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Didn't shadowbane become a free to play?

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

To YOU it was the greatest PVP game ever to YOU consoles are "kiddie" things. Just because you think so doesn;t mean everyone else will.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD