Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a good game?

Is DDO a good game if your just doing the free part?

Comments

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Its an incredible game even if you're doing the free play.

I'm only doing free play, I love it.  Ask any questions you like and I'll try to answer.

• jcusanoiiijcusanoiii Member Posts: 36

Thanks, how much do you miss out on by not paying?

2 races and 2 classes.

A handful of adventure maps, but you wont notice those as much until much later on.

Otherwise, the item shop just lets you buy some exclusive potions and level appropriate gear.  Like, one of the first quest you do in the game will reward you with some turbine points.  You can use those to immediately buy a +1 weapon for your character.   Don't get the wrong idea here and think that you'll have to buy gear...thats not true.  In fact, running on D&D rules makes gear a smaller factor in your character than skills, feats, and levels.  For instance, that +1 weapon is only adding 1 to your chance to hit, and 1 to your damage.  That 1 point of damage is hardly enough to warrant feeling useless if you didn't buy the weapon.  Thats beside the fact that you could earn the weapon from a chest at the end of a dungeon anyway.

If you download it, hell I'll make a character on the server you want to play on and group up with you for a bit.

Thanks a lot, i'm gonna start downloading the game in a little bit 

Alright.

I'll stay on here for a bit, message me or something when its done downloading and patching.  If you need help setting up your character, we can exchange IM's and I'll help out with it.  They have some presets for skill and feat options...but I recommend using customized sets.  You'll have a better character that way.

Cool, Thank you for all the help

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I played the game for a bit, but found that it got boring around level 6-7 ish

You don’t really need to spend money in the game till maybe later on to get some of the adventure packs; only thing I had got was the warforged race.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• zandionzandion Member Posts: 8

I had not played since a month after launch and just started again a few days ago.  I am so amazed how polished DDO is now.  The fun factor is all there.

To answer your question; YES!

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

2 races and 2 classes.

A handful of adventure maps, but you wont notice those as much until much later on.

Otherwise, the item shop just lets you buy some exclusive potions and level appropriate gear.  Like, one of the first quest you do in the game will reward you with some turbine points.  You can use those to immediately buy a +1 weapon for your character.   Don't get the wrong idea here and think that you'll have to buy gear...thats not true.  In fact, running on D&D rules makes gear a smaller factor in your character than skills, feats, and levels.  For instance, that +1 weapon is only adding 1 to your chance to hit, and 1 to your damage.  That 1 point of damage is hardly enough to warrant feeling useless if you didn't buy the weapon.  Thats beside the fact that you could earn the weapon from a chest at the end of a dungeon anyway.

If you download it, hell I'll make a character on the server you want to play on and group up with you for a bit.

As free to play players you get access to about 80 of the 323 quests in game. Eventually you will earn Turbine points during play to buy some of these but if you want them all it will cost money.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

As free to play players you get access to about 80 of the 323 quests in game. Eventually you will earn Turbine points during play to buy some of these but if you want them all it will cost money.

Actually, you can get every single piece of content the DDO store has to offer without ever spending a cent.

Its called TP Farming Runs, might want to look into how they work. I have both Drow and Warforged, as well as Monk and FvS unlocked, and I didn't pay a dime.

Adventure Packs are even easier to obtain for free, just takes an investment of time.

• FennyarielFennyariel Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Euphoryk

Actually, you can get every single piece of content the DDO store has to offer without ever spending a cent.

Its called TP Farming Runs, might want to look into how they work. I have both Drow and Warforged, as well as Monk and FvS unlocked, and I didn't pay a dime.

Adventure Packs are even easier to obtain for free, just takes an investment of time.

Well could you please tell us how you do that? Just telling us it's possible isn't really much help.

Originally posted by Fennyariel
    Well could you please tell us how you do that? Just telling us it's possible isn't really much help.

Actually it is plenty of help just telling you it's possible, as that is information you didn't have before, correct?

I've provided enough information to point you in the right direction, so feel free to go to the DDO Forums and do the research yourself on how the process works, I'm not going to spend my time spoon feeding you the info in detail.

Five minutes using the search tool on the DDO Forums and you will have all the answers you need on how to run for TP.

• FennyarielFennyariel Member Posts: 24

I'm not that creative. I need to be told. Please tell me?

Actually it is plenty of help just telling you it's possible, as that is information you didn't have before, correct?

I've provided enough information to point you in the right direction, so feel free to go to the DDO Forums and do the research yourself on how the process works, I'm not going to spend my time spoon feeding you the info in detail.

Five minutes using the search tool on the DDO Forums and you will have all the answers you need on how to run for TP.

It was information I have had since before F2P launched. Truth is though the repetition of grinding favor for TP will not be a popular choice for the majority.  As a VIP and long time player I want you to spend money since staying F2P does not help support the game in any way shape or form.

I'm not that creative. I need to be told. Please tell me?

You will need to grind favor on multiple characters on multiple servers. If you have a job, wife, kids or any combination your time may be too limited for this. The grind to get enough TP to buy everything for free is a long and boring one as your best bet for TP is running low level stuff over and over as you are limited to very few character slots as a F2P.

I know how they work, thanks. Since you do not pay a dime you are not helping the game in any way. You are a freeloader. Living off the money I spent to help keep DDO active for 3.5 years.

It was information I have had since before F2P launched.
    Which is relevant to me why? I was speaking to Fennyariel when I made the comment about the info as he/she did not have it previously, not sure why you are chiming in on that subject now.
    Truth is though the repetition of grinding favor for TP will not be a popular choice for the majority. 
    I never said it would be popular, nor that it was effortless, just that it was possible to do. My information was one hundred percent accurate.
    As a VIP and long time player I want you to spend money since staying F2P does not help support the game in any way shape or form. 

I've played since launch, my account was auto flagged as VIP when DDO switched over to micro transactions. I then decided to drop from VIP to Premium. I'm not a F2P user, I am one notch below VIP.
    I also didn't say that I personally haven't spent money in the DDO Store, just that it wasn't necessary to do so and that I had gotten the races and classes without spending anything. I am one of the games most vocal supporters and have been active on the official forum since launch.
    I want people to invest into the game as well, we both know not everyone will though, so this is a viable alternative if someone still wants to gain access to that paid content.

I know how they work, thanks. Since you do not pay a dime you are not helping the game in any way. You are a freeloader. Living off the money I spent to help keep DDO active for 3.5 years.

No sir, you couldn't be more mistaken.

I ran a paid sub EVERY SINGLE MONTH from launch till the game switched over to MTs. You have not done anymore than I have to help keep the game active and alive. Take a step down off that high horse, you are not as unique as you seem to think.

EDITED: Fixed an error.

No sir, you couldn't be more mistaken.

I ran a paid sub EVERY SINGLE MONTH from launch till the game switched over to MTs. You have not done anymore than I have to help keep the game active and alive. Take a step down off that high horse, you are not as unique as you seem to think.

EDITED: Fixed an error.

You are the one in your first post who said you did not spend a dime. How was I supposed to know you were a premium player when you were proud of your not spending money? Next time try being more accurate or tell the whole story which you have since and that explains it better.

It was information I have had since before F2P launched.
    Which is relevant to me why? I was speaking to Fennyariel when I made the comment about the info as he/she did not have it previously, not sure why you are chiming in on that subject now.
    Truth is though the repetition of grinding favor for TP will not be a popular choice for the majority. 
    I never said it would be popular, nor that it was effortless, just that it was possible to do. My information was one hundred percent accurate.
    As a VIP and long time player I want you to spend money since staying F2P does not help support the game in any way shape or form. 

I've played since launch, my account was auto flagged as VIP when DDO switched over to micro transactions. I then decided to drop from VIP to Premium. I'm not a F2P user, I am one notch below VIP.
    I also didn't say that I personally haven't spent money in the DDO Store, just that it wasn't necessary to do so and that I had gotten the races and classes without spending anything. I am one of the games most vocal supporters and have been active on the official forum since launch.
    I want people to invest into the game as well, we both know not everyone will though, so this is a viable alternative if someone still wants to gain access to that paid content.

You said you had not spent a dime, kind of hard to know you were a VIP when you claim not to have spent money.

• patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by jcusanoiii

Is DDO a good game if your just doing the free part?

Indeed it is not and I am going to uninstall it. It is not the game where I would leave my hard earned money. Having the ability to repeat a quest as many times as you wish and in different levels of difficulty in order to get more and better rewards is something nonsense and not my idea of a persistent world. How many times I am going to destroy the same cult? ridiculous. I never see something close to crafting or harvesting, I figure out it is a copy of the pen and paper RPG where the main action takes place in dungeons.  This game could be good for dungeon crawl player of players but nor for me. Dungeon crawl could be a part of a good game but not the main  feature of a game. This game surely will have their niche of dungeon lovers.

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

I tried DDO, i really did. But i hated the combat system (and i think im the exception to the rule here) which i found uninspiring, akin to hack n slash which grows boring rather quick (for me). It just wasnt for me, i also wasnt a fan of the cramped maps that come with dungeon play, just not my cup of tea, but it has good qualities for a f2p game.

• darkb457darkb457 Member CommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by misterdurp

I tried DDO, i really did. But i hated the combat system (and i think im the exception to the rule here) which i found uninspiring, akin to hack n slash which grows boring rather quick (for me). It just wasnt for me, i also wasnt a fan of the cramped maps that come with dungeon play, just not my cup of tea, but it has good qualities for a f2p game.

You just stuck in the old mentality

• Originally posted by misterdurp

I understand what you are saying I could argue against it, but I can see where you are coming from in regards to melee.  I am curious though, did you try to play a spellcaster at all?  Or perhaps a melee/caster hybrid.

I played a warforged Wiz/Rogue up to 10 or 11 (I forget) and that was definitely interesting.  I also played a Bard/Barb/Rog warchanter as my first char up to about 7.  The warchanter was hack and slash but he had a lot of interesting tricks to make it more and the Wiz/Rog was a lot different feeling.

You might find a battle cleric or some flavor of Arcane caster interesting.  Or you migh tnot I dunno.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Instead, he will spend his time talking down to forum posters.

He'll even make several follow up posts to argue more about what information he did or did not give, and how helpful was, and if he should be bothered to give more information than was previously given.... because his time is valuable?

It's funny that he spends more time and effort to be an unhelpful jerk, when he could have just answered the damn question and been on with his life.

L mf OL