Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let me get this straighto_O

pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

It was said that GW during the Holloween event had over 200.000 players playing over the course of the first 24 hours(correct?)

Is it correct that Guild Wars only has one "shard"/"server"???

So while people come in here and start flaming about GW not being a MMORPG(would you not say that 200.000 players on one server in 24 hours is not massive?).

It sure seems to be a much bigger number than what WoW offers with its wopping 88 servers in the states alone is offering:/

Of course there is the debate about instances - But then again, WoW has allot of instances aswell? I, wondering if there is some sort of cap rule about how many instances a MMO must have before it is an MMO and when it is not, because im sort of confused on this!?

But if lets say that 200.000 people wanted to meet up in a certain town at one time, then would it be possible? would it be closed off? would the server crash or what?:p

I dont know... Just seems strange to be to not call GW a MMORPG. It is persistent! That has at least been my understanding of it.

I might be the one confused here though *shrugs*

Comments

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

What GW does instead of "shards" is make "districts". The districts serve basically the same fuction ..load balance, keep areas from getting too over crowded, ect. The difference, however, is that you can change districts easily, whereas in traditional rental shards, when you pick a shard, your character (if not account) is permanently restrcicted there, with no interaction with players in other shards. There is no such restriction in GW. Anyone can interact and play with anyone else if they so choose, regardless of which district you start in. The only restriction on districts in that they can eventually get filled up, at which time, they are temporarily unable to receive new people. The amount of disctricts increases or decreases depending on how many people are going through them at the time, so there isn't a set number of districts to get filled up and there is no possiblity of them all being full at a given time.

• semanticsemantic Member Posts: 122

Also note that everything Kartel says about free movement between districts and interacting with any other player applies to players around the globe. International gamers will be in their own districts by default, but competition between players in different countries will be fundamental to the game.