Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill Based Game Needed

Hi.  This is my first post on these forums.  I started playing UO about 6 years ago.  I initially played on player run shards until I was able to get an account.  I really liked UO, it was my first MMORPG.  I had to quit though because of a long list of stacking complaints.  I went on MMO-less for awhile, i think a year.  Then I followed one of my friends who has been playing EQ since it came out onto EQII.  It was okay for a couple of months(in other words it has become old recently).  I still have an account, but find that it is somewhat boring.  I dont have time ot play always so my firends get more and more powerful and Im stuck at low levels.  Does anyone know of any good skill-based games out there?

-Wizardly Friend

Comments

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199
    Star Wars Galaxies?
  • WizardFriendWizardFriend Member Posts: 7

I prefer fantasy and playing the mage.  Ever since I got into RPG's and video games I've played the mage(wizard)

-Wizardly Friend

• ZipehZipeh Member Posts: 265

EvE is skill based, learned in real time.  Grinding only makes more isk and veterans and new players can play together without much issue. it is sci-fi unlike ur previous choices.

• MikeMJMMikeMJM Member UncommonPosts: 41

www.guildwars.com

Guild Wars is about player skill, strategy, and team work.  Not how much time you spend grinding for levels and equipment.  It hasn't been release yet, though.

• Sephiroth-Sephiroth- Member Posts: 15

Eve can hardly be considered skill based, it's stat based, PnC scifi, and an interactive screensaver no less. I didn't like Eve if you can't tell :P

Jumpgate is a good skill based game. It's scifi however, and you're looking for fantasy based.

www.jossh.com

www.themis-group.com/jg

• LreguizrLreguizr Member Posts: 207

Skill based as in pure player twitchbased controls.

Not skill points.

Right, that's Jumpgate. That *is* what the poster is looking for right? Other than the scifi element I mean.
  • LreguizrLreguizr Member Posts: 207

I don't remember any mideval/fantasy like games that has pure player skills.

I don't think there are any medieval/fantasy ones either.

Nothing I've ever heard of at any rate.

• ExyreExyre Member UncommonPosts: 136

Saga of Ryzom might be what you are lookinng for.. Pretty sure thats what you considered "Skill Based".

What I'm looking for is a game in terms of the inner workings of it, like UO.  Skill based.  You have skills taht go up as you use the skills.  The higher the skill the easier it is to use it.  The harder the taks, the more chance of failure.  There is a skill cap probably.  No classes, customization is awesome.  And midieval based.  If you have played UO you know what I mean.  It also had some stats to go with it (str, dex, and int, these had a cap total as well)  str controls HP and damage, i think, dex controls speed at which you move, and int controls magic points.  I also think that stats may have contributed to success at a skill.  Not sure on that.  I'm looking for something like UO, graphics arent that important.  A good crafting system would be nice.  I would like to be able to hunt with vets even if they are technically better and qucker than me.  Im unimpressed with games like EQ because i dont like constant grinding and if im not on a lot or my friends arent soling sucks and if i get too far ahead/behind we cant even group(2 ppl group sucks as well).  Sorry for this semi-rant, im just trying to express why I liked UO, what I want in a game, and why I dont want a game like EQ.  EQ is good for some, just not for me.

-Wizardly Friend

• CompiCompi Member Posts: 61

You should try Mourning then. Might be your game.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Saga of Ryzom is skill based and if you like playing a caster you'll thoroughly enjoy the customization of spells that it offers. You can swap out costs .. for instance if the spell costs 50 "sap" you can alter it to take 50 life or 10 life 10 sap and sacrifices range for a 30 sap credit. you can also sacrifice casting time .. theres many ways to alter the spell costs.

You wont have to pigeon hole yourself as a caster either. You can progress in all skills. You can wear heavy armor wield a 2hd sword toss a nuke and heal yourself. There are penalties incurred for the armor and weapon but it is doable.

free 14 day trial no cc required. i strongly recommend trying the game for free :)

• AntMMOAntMMO Member Posts: 33

ok, you can play all the MMORPG's all you want and it'll be the same point and click BS, there is no skill involved in targeting a mob, clicking auto attack and watching

you want SKILL

ultimatebaseballonline.com

nothing like using your SKILLS to carry your team to the 'ship, when the pressures on in the bottom of 9th, 2 outs runner on 3rd, your point and click wont save you pal, but your skill will :-D

try it, play it, thank me later

none

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

So the games I know that increase skills through use are:
    1) in some way World of Warcraft: some skills like defense, weaponskills, craftskills increase just by using the right item. But it isn't classfree, you create a race with a certain class and you are stuck with it. The leveling grind isn't that terrible is in other games, you level pretty fast enough by just doing quests (and there are a lot of them and most are even fun to do). Also attributes are involved wich you gain automaticaly at level up.
    2) Saga of Ryzom: in the beta it was so that you could increase your skills just by using them and they would also split up at certain levels. Also the own tweaking to spells/skills was nice.
    3) Wish: think this one was perfect for you, only problem is. It is cancelled. Skills increased on use as did your attributes like strenth, stamina and others.

These are all the games that come to mind that are medieval and use skillincrease on using in some way. An other game that also is fully skill based is Eve Online. But the skills train in realtime and don't need much interaction at your part, just switch them on time. The trainingtimes are depentend on the attributes you have. And the higher the skill the more bonusses you get.

In all those games you can play with vets, in World of Warcraft you take an xp penalty when the player is much higher level then yourself. Quest xp isn't infected by this penalty as far as I know. All games have a grind anyways. World of Warcraft realy cammouflage it with lots of quest and huge xp rewards for those, but is still based on xp and level + skills (cap is influenced by level). Saga of Ryzom I can't tell you more, but only could hold it out 2 weeks in open beta. For Wish there isn't much more to say anymore and Eve Online you have to grind for your money. Skills and ships don't come free of isk so you need a steady income there to keep you suplied with ships and new skills (even clones cost money).

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

Originally posted by rentantilus

Originally posted by Sephiroth-

Eve can hardly be considered skill based, it's stat based, PnC scifi, and an interactive screensaver no less. I didn't like Eve if you can't tell :P

Eve Online should have a disclaimer on their website and game client that specifically states that their game is for intelligent, mature audiences.  If you're having trouble understanding the potential of Eve Online, read this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/setstart/1/loadthread/20214/loadforum/51/loadclass/35

Haha. Now I'm apparently not intelligent or mature. Okay then bud. I don't have trouble understanding the potential of something as rediculously pathetic as Eve. I beta'd Eve and it was bad. I tried it again for a while a few months ago, it was still really really bad.

I can give Eve credit for coming up with a freaking awesome economy. But beyond that the game has nothing going for it.

• worisworis Member Posts: 86
    I'll just add that Mourning has you PVP ready in about 50 hours, so you wont have to grind forever and worry about your buddies being too strong to group. Release date should be 25. day, although they are alway delayed (games in general)..

---------------
    MMORPG genre=trend=lots of subscriptions/bad games

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

[quote]
    [b]ok, you can play all the MMORPG's all you want and it'll be the same point and click BS, there is no skill involved in targeting a mob, clicking auto attack and watching [/quote]

Uh, no the idea is choosing which spells and special attacks to use when to bring down the mob quickest, hold other mobs at bay, deal with multiple mobs etc., and even more involved when working together with a team. In other words, the skill is mental, not physicl in your hand-eye reflexes (read: twitch). I don't agree that twitch-based games require more skill than non-twitch games simply because one requires quick finger reflexes and the other does not. Different skills. Virtually no MMORPG is twitch-based ... it's more about grey matter than it is about how fast you can move your fingers. If you like that kind of game there are plenty of good ones available --- e.g., Half-Life 2, Halo 2 etc.

I'll check out Saga of Ryzom and Eve sounds cool, but I really enjoy fantasy more so I probably won't do that.

-Wizardly Friend

• BuMnAcHaIrBuMnAcHaIr Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by AntMMO

ok, you can play all the MMORPG's all you want and it'll be the same point and click BS, there is no skill involved in targeting a mob, clicking auto attack and watching

you want SKILL
    ultimatebaseballonline.com
    nothing like using your SKILLS to carry your team to the 'ship, when the pressures on in the bottom of 9th, 2 outs runner on 3rd, your point and click wont save you pal, but your skill will :-D
    try it, play it, thank me later

lol im sorry...just found this ammusing...so u dont point, or click, but your skill saves u? what? pressing spacebar when the ball comes close? doesnt seem too hard

One kick in the face is better then two.

• saebensaeben Member Posts: 31

I feel you dude...im thinkin about quitin eq2. Im gonna go back to fps for awhile. I need a game where it depends on player skill and not on how long one can sit in front of the computer mindlessely pressing buttons for hours on end. I think that is the biggest flaw in MMORPGs these days. The guy that can spend 80hrs a week on the computer is gonna be uber. At least with FPS's and RTS games anyone with some skill can at least compete with they guy doin 80 hrs a week.

• saebensaeben Member Posts: 31

[quote]Originally posted by Novaseeker
    [b][quote]
    [b]ok, you can play all the MMORPG's all you want and it'll be the same point and click BS, there is no skill involved in targeting a mob, clicking auto attack and watching [/quote]

Uh, no the idea is choosing which spells and special attacks to use when to bring down the mob quickest, hold other mobs at bay, deal with multiple mobs etc., and even more involved when working together with a team. In other words, the skill is mental, not physicl in your hand-eye reflexes (read: twitch). I don't agree that twitch-based games require more skill than non-twitch games simply because one requires quick finger reflexes and the other does not. Different skills. Virtually no MMORPG is twitch-based ... it's more about grey matter than it is about how fast you can move your fingers. If you like that kind of game there are plenty of good ones available --- e.g., Half-Life 2, Halo 2 etc.
    [/b][/quote]

Yeah but it sucks when your spells and skills are broken. It doesnt take that much skill in current MMORPGs to be good. Just some common sense and plenty of time. For example if you are a healer hmmm how much skill does it take to heal the tank, yeah you have to choose what spells to use but after a few times you know what to use, not much skill there...MOB AI usually attacks in a predictable (sp?) manner after a few fights that type of mob is a joke...Hmm not much skill there. Now if they changed it to where a group of mobs fought how the PC fight then it would be interesting. LOL i would like to see that attack group of X MOBS and they all aggro your healer then wizzy then rogues. If you are in a decent group each class knows thier job and does it... not much skill there, and not much grey matter being used.

Now look at starcraft or similiar RTS games just because you pwn the computer AI those same strats most likely will not work againt other players.

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by saeben
    Yeah but it sucks when your spells and skills are broken. It doesnt take that much skill in current MMORPGs to be good. Just some common sense and plenty of time. For example if you are a healer hmmm how much skill does it take to heal the tank, yeah you have to choose what spells to use but after a few times you know what to use, not much skill there...MOB AI usually attacks in a predictable (sp?) manner after a few fights that type of mob is a joke...Hmm not much skill there. Now if they changed it to where a group of mobs fought how the PC fight then it would be interesting. LOL i would like to see that attack group of X MOBS and they all aggro your healer then wizzy then rogues. If you are in a decent group each class knows thier job and does it... not much skill there, and not much grey matter being used.
    I don't think you have played a healer ever if I see to your example. And never did PvP in a MMORPG. Mob AI in every game sucks, because it is based on algoritmes and once you know the behaviour of a mob you can predict what it is going to do and you can chainkill them with ease. This isn't any differnte in MMORPGs or FPS. And it takes your brain skills to know how to handle your char good enough. How many groups get wiped because a lousy tank or a healer that don't know who or what to use first and what spell to use for it and runs out of mana to cast. Or uses a healing spell that uses a to long incantation so the target is dead before the spell goes off? I have seen this many many times. A good player depents on the player and not on the char level you have. If you are fighting lower level mobs you have some more space to make some blunders but when fighting higher level mobs the correct timing of you spells/skills is the diference between dead or alive. And FPS is more brainless, just run around and shoot all you see that moves. Except the tactical shooters, but there aren't much good ones.

Now look at starcraft or similiar RTS games just because you pwn the computer AI those same strats most likely will not work againt other players.
    Because you beat a mob 5 levels over your own level you can't beat a player of your own level in a MMORPG.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• AntMMOAntMMO Member Posts: 33

@ BuMnAcHaIr

if it doesnt sound too hard, then try it ;-) hehe, lets see just how hard it is to press spacebar when the ball comes your way :-D, sure a smart guy like you can figure it out :-)

none

I feel you dude...im thinkin about quitin eq2. Im gonna go back to fps for awhile. I need a game where it depends on player skill and not on how long one can sit in front of the computer mindlessely pressing buttons for hours on end. I think that is the biggest flaw in MMORPGs these days. The guy that can spend 80hrs a week on the computer is gonna be uber. At least with FPS's and RTS games anyone with some skill can at least compete with they guy doin 80 hrs a week.

Honestly, I strongly recommend you (and anyone else out there who thinks the same way) try Jumpgate. There *is* levelling involved, but not a whole lot. By level 9 you have a PvP capable ship. You can make level 9 in just a few hours of levelling. Up until you get to level 9 the game might be kind of boring (a lot of this depending on what exactly you do to level). But once you get level 9 it really speeds up (you have one of the quickest ships in the game and can do some real damage, whether you kill the AI or start participating in PvP). There are usually battles just about every night, unfortunately, the community is small so it may seem sorta dead at times, but only new players can help that out :)

Almost forgot to provide links.

www.jossh.com

www.themis-group.com/jg