Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solid State Drive (SSD)

13»

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

You shouldn't put other stuff to ssd than OS, programs and some storage speed critical games (mmos). 80 Gigs is fine for that. 

• chrisrobhay2chrisrobhay2 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by dfan

You shouldn't put other stuff to ssd than OS, programs and some storage speed critical games (mmos). 80 Gigs is fine for that. 

I am only putting the OS and my games onto it.  The Crucial 256GB SSD is a great value for its performance and storage, and it will allow me to have that bit of insurance that I won't run out of space any time soon.

Many disks have better €/gig relation than intel/indilinx but usually they are quite much slower and don't support many important features such as TRIM. Also, the product support with firmwares can be next to nothing. 

I am not sure, but I think I heard that Crucial has great firmware support and that their 256GB SSDs do support Trim.  Also, I have read multiple benchmarks on it, and it performs similarly to mainstream Intel and OCZ products, and only slightly worse than their high end products.

EDIT: I have found the sites with which I made these discoveries: 

Trim and firmware support - http://www.forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-SSD-support-for-TRIM/td-p/2590;jsessionid=91A5BF3D73ED9ACA0BCB068A545463BF

Benchmarks - http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=351&Itemid=60

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2846/crucial_m225_256gb_solid_state_disk/index.html

Does anyone know what the size of Windows 7 is?

They don't have enough random operation tests is those reviews. But it seems the m225 has indilinx controller, which is a great thing. Still, I don't see to where you need such big disk. The technology quickly takes large steps ahead, I wouldn't invest very much on ssd since after a while there's much better disks available and your current disk has lost its value totally.

IMO windows 7 installation takes around 10 gigs, not fully sure tho. 

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

They don't have enough random operation tests is those reviews. But it seems the m225 has indilinx controller, which is a great thing. Still, I don't see to where you need such big disk. The technology quickly takes large steps ahead, I wouldn't invest very much on ssd since after a while there's much better disks available and your current disk has lost its value totally.

My Windows 7 install is sitting at 13GB after 6 months of use, and my Program Files is at 3GB with all the apps I use (OpenOffice, GIMP, Audacity, etc). Most games are about 6-8GB, MMO's around 13GB. Dragon Age is 17GB.

So on a 80GB drive you could probably fit Windows, all your apps, and 4 or 5 of your most played games. Wouldn't hurt to do 128GB but I only keep a few games installed at a time anyway (LotRO, Bioshock, Borderlands, Dragon Age, Fallout 3 and Sins of a Solar Empire atm). Everything else on your 640GB data drive.

If you really feel like you need 256GB of performance storage though go for it.

Ok, because I checked the size of Vista to gauge how big of an SSD I would need, and it came in at a whopping 17.1GB!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by noquarter

My Windows 7 install is sitting at 13GB after 6 months of use, and my Program Files is at 3GB with all the apps I use (OpenOffice, GIMP, Audacity, etc). Most games are about 6-8GB, MMO's around 13GB. Dragon Age is 17GB.

So on a 80GB drive you could probably fit Windows, all your apps, and 4 or 5 of your most played games. Wouldn't hurt to do 128GB but I only keep a few games installed at a time anyway (LotRO, Bioshock, Borderlands, Dragon Age, Fallout 3 and Sins of a Solar Empire atm). Everything else on your 640GB data drive.

If you really feel like you need 256GB of performance storage though go for it.

I would rather keep all of my games on my SSD since I have the budget to accommodate a high performance 256GB SSD.