Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW... Meh

PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I subscribed to WoW about 9 months ago, and I'm done.

I leveled 2 characters to 80 so I could DPS, Tank and/or Heal. I got another two in the 60s, and a few more in 50s, 40s, 30s, all with the hopes of being versatile.

The whole leveling process I was largely alone. I joined a few guilds, but almost all were inactive after a few days or weeks. I had one person I met in-game that was a fairly regular companion on the way to 80 on my first toon, but that ended up being it. He lasted about a month and 80 and gave up.

Even folks I met in guilds, who I became friendly with, had no desire to be social. If you weren't running heroics with them at that moment, no one wanted to talk to you.

Then end game was such a dismal experience. Not the content, but the people. You weren't a person, you were a class with stats, that's it. If you wanted to get into raiding, the guild said you must have Add-ons X, Y, Z and A, B, C. Must. You had to play your character this way, you had to gear and spec that way, you needed to do everything the way the leaders want.

What the hell? This is a game, right? LOL.

What's more, because the game has been out for 1/2 a decade, I was leveling alone and never really had a chance to group, so I never could learn the fancy group dynamics until I hit 80 and started with PUGs.

The game itself is pretty awesome. I love the lore, and just watching the trailer for 3.3 gave me chills. But there's no "experiencing" the game. You need to run around following somebody making sure you do as your told when you're told, and so help us Lord if we check X add-on and you're no measuring up, we're dropping your sorry ass.

So between the absolutey required add-ons, the ridiculous expectations that people had and the fact that almost no one logged in realizes that WoW is a GAME, I'm calling it quits. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to have experienced all the content that Blizzard had developed.

Comments

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

I always had help leveling. Every MMO, when it comes to endgame, wants to make sure the players are great so they critique them always.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

I agree I first played WOW back when it came out and just came back again because they gave me 7 free days so I figured what the heck I might as well burn the days up since im playing Fallen Earth currently and waiting for some pvp patchs. From reading what you and other players have stated its got me not wanting to play I dont want to get to end game and experience that or the lack of socialization although alot of online games deal with that sometimes which sucks because online games are for interaction and its the main reason why I play to make friends etc. One thing I do like about the new patch is that they have added LFG for dungeons and instances across all servers which makes it nice for lower and higher level players looking for a group. And the fact that you can instantly be sent there so your not holding up the group while they wait for you. I had never done any pvp in wow either and thats something I was gonna try out while getting a new char to appropriate level recently but I dont think the pvp will satisfy me either. I love to pvp hardcore and not be carebear about it thats why im playing FE and looking at buying Darkfall tonight and making those 2 my games. Other than that im done with the mmo market its stale and theres nothing new really being brought to the table.

• DiamedesDiamedes Member Posts: 70

Starting this late you will most likely be alone but once you get into a guild and regularly raid with them you'll get to know people. But beside that, you've only been playing 9 months and you have all of those characters, good lord man maybe get another hobby, this games ok but it sounds like you're trying to escape life by making "friends" in a video game.

• 133794m3r133794m3r Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

I leveled 2 characters to 80 so I could DPS, Tank and/or Heal. I got another two in the 60s, and a few more in 50s, 40s, 30s, all with the hopes of being versatile.

The whole leveling process I was largely alone. I joined a few guilds, but almost all were inactive after a few days or weeks. I had one person I met in-game that was a fairly regular companion on the way to 80 on my first toon, but that ended up being it. He lasted about a month and 80 and gave up.

Even folks I met in guilds, who I became friendly with, had no desire to be social. If you weren't running heroics with them at that moment, no one wanted to talk to you.

Then end game was such a dismal experience. Not the content, but the people. You weren't a person, you were a class with stats, that's it. If you wanted to get into raiding, the guild said you must have Add-ons X, Y, Z and A, B, C. Must. You had to play your character this way, you had to gear and spec that way, you needed to do everything the way the leaders want.

What's more, because the game has been out for 1/2 a decade, I was leveling alone and never really had a chance to group, so I never could learn the fancy group dynamics until I hit 80 and started with PUGs.

The game itself is pretty awesome. I love the lore, and just watching the trailer for 3.3 gave me chills. But there's no "experiencing" the game. You need to run around following somebody making sure you do as your told when you're told, and so help us Lord if we check X add-on and you're no measuring up, we're dropping your sorry ass.

So between the absolutey required add-ons, the ridiculous expectations that people had and the fact that almost no one logged in realizes that WoW is a GAME, I'm calling it quits. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to have experienced all the content that Blizzard had developed.

You seriously expected something else from the raiding guilds? YOu must be delusional. Raiding in WoW is not for the casual player. It's the only thing about wow that's supposedly hard core. That's why you have people who literally all they do is sit there and analyze every stat and calculate exactly what will be the best at all times for every single boss. That's what makes wow hardcore. Casual players get instances and leveling to 80. Blizzard knows this, hardcore players do the end game stuff casual players most likely will never do it. Most casual players take atleast a year or more to hit 80(i'm being very kind about that number) or they make a quite a few alts to just have fun and do it their own way. Raiding is hardcore only. Welcome to WoW or i guess goodbye.

I don't play wow anymore mainly b/c i didn't care for the gear grinding. I came up with my own leveling build for my hunter before i started playing. I had my friends look over it mainly b/c they asked me "what spec are you going to use for leveling"?. So i showed them and they said it was pretty good. So i just went with that. I leveled mostly on my own mainly b/c me and my friend had different schedules so we could only play a few hours a week together.  In a game like WoW blizzard has made it so that all raids are hardcore.

If you think that there's a way to have a calm nonhardcore raiding guild you're delusional. This is wow's community, Hardcore cookie cutters and the casual players who don't do too much all the way up. Either way no other game has done this quite so much as wow has with the various numbers that everyone's gotta be at.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by 133794m3r

You seriously expected something else from the raiding guilds? YOu must be delusional. Raiding in WoW is not for the casual player. It's the only thing about wow that's supposedly hard core. That's why you have people who literally all they do is sit there and analyze every stat and calculate exactly what will be the best at all times for every single boss. That's what makes wow hardcore. Casual players get instances and leveling to 80. Blizzard knows this, hardcore players do the end game stuff casual players most likely will never do it. Most casual players take atleast a year or more to hit 80(i'm being very kind about that number) or they make a quite a few alts to just have fun and do it their own way. Raiding is hardcore only. Welcome to WoW or i guess goodbye.

I don't play wow anymore mainly b/c i didn't care for the gear grinding. I came up with my own leveling build for my hunter before i started playing. I had my friends look over it mainly b/c they asked me "what spec are you going to use for leveling"?. So i showed them and they said it was pretty good. So i just went with that. I leveled mostly on my own mainly b/c me and my friend had different schedules so we could only play a few hours a week together.  In a game like WoW blizzard has made it so that all raids are hardcore.

If you think that there's a way to have a calm nonhardcore raiding guild you're delusional. This is wow's community, Hardcore cookie cutters and the casual players who don't do too much all the way up. Either way no other game has done this quite so much as wow has with the various numbers that everyone's gotta be at.

You need to look deeper into the community and gaming of WoW/.

Raid in wow means 10/25 content now.  40man is history.  Raid is NOT the monopoly of elitist guilds, nor it need be played only by "hardcore" (you mean 24/7?).  It is just one kind of encounter WoW provides in PvE, along with 5man instances, open world bosses, and whatever.

The toughest 10/25 achievements are hard to complete for almost everyone.  No one has 25ToGC on farming yet.  We expect the raiders of ToGC to be more prepared, from gearing to potions, to raid composition to raid synergy to time comitment, PC quality, isp latency, everything.  They read up, they talk in web, in chat, they plan they try, they fail, rinse.

The lesser raids, 10ToC, Ulduar, and nax are pushovers now for a portion of the players.  Naxx are easily pugged, anyone can go in and pretty much have a shot.  Yes if your entire team are inexperiences, and your raid leader is unprepared, the chance of failing is high, so what?  You expect your college team to beat the LA Lakers?

Not all raids are drama, are elite, are hardcore.  WoW provides a wide spectrum of gameplay and difficulty levels.  The majority of gamers are in the middle of the spectrum.  To them, the top tier achievements and raids are irrelevant.  When I play basketball in the backyard with my sister's 3 year old, I never have coby brian in mind as target.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

There has to be a middle-ground between super-casual players and a hard-core raiding guild. Even the "casual" guilds on my server (Bronzebeard) had all those crazy requirements, and they would only accept specific classes with specific builds (e.g., sorry, no Prot/Holy Pallies, we're looking for Ret/Prot).

The point is, players weren't looking for people to "play" with. They were looking for player-controlled objects to fulfill their needs to run Heroics.

It's just bizarre to me that people would play anything that way.

PUGs were just ugly. You had people like me who couldn't get into good guilds, but that made those fellow-rejects angry or something. They were miserable people to play with.

Again, it's really a shame. I wanted to try all those Heroics and what not because I loved the lore and wanted to take down evil-doers and what not. I'm pretty sure I was the only player on my server, if not all servers, who approached it that way. You know, as a _game_.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

The point is, players weren't looking for people to "play" with. They were looking for player-controlled objects to fulfill their needs to run Heroics.

Alas, for the serious raiders, this is sums it up.

I'm fortunate in that my guild is about socializing first and raiding second.  Some members bitch openly that we're not hardcore enough about raiding, but, mysteriously, they haven't departed for a raiding guild.

So we raid once a week or so and do heroics nightly.  It's about having fun, not beating your head against the wall.

But PhelimReagh has a pretty valid point.  I enjoy the lore too, yet I've been berated in general chat for discussing things in an RP manner with other players doing the same.  Not seriously hard core RP either, mind you.  RP for me is a huge part of the fun, and the fact that others are OFFENDED by it makes me wonder why they're even there...I guess to show off their epeens.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

There has to be a middle-ground between super-casual players and a hard-core raiding guild. Even the "casual" guilds on my server (Bronzebeard) had all those crazy requirements, and they would only accept specific classes with specific builds (e.g., sorry, no Prot/Holy Pallies, we're looking for Ret/Prot).

It's just bizarre to me that people would play anything that way.

PUGs were just ugly. You had people like me who couldn't get into good guilds, but that made those fellow-rejects angry or something. They were miserable people to play with.

Again, it's really a shame. I wanted to try all those Heroics and what not because I loved the lore and wanted to take down evil-doers and what not. I'm pretty sure I was the only player on my server, if not all servers, who approached it that way. You know, as a _game_.

There are very casual guiilds, there are very hardcore guilds.  Some of the most casual guilds simply do not go out to recruit.  They have no raid agenda in mind, and they recruit for whatever they want.  I know of a guild which exclusively recruit ppl in the same company in RL.  They work in the same office.  Naturally, you will never get in touch with them b/c they do not advertise.

There are levelling guilds, guilds who expect you to jump ship after maxing level and having basic gearing.  They do not have requirements, just send a tell.  There are RL guild, husband and wife guilds.

No one knows how many such guilds are.

Those you see shouting around for a ret paly or a healer tree are mostly raid guilds looking for some roles to round up a raid roster.  They have a raid makeup, raid content and schedule in mind.  Naturally they are focused on recruiting that missing slot.  If you approach them and talk, many of them recruit social members, members not guaranteed a slot in the raid setup, but can be standby and wait.  Now that social membership is not very demanding.  My crafting alts joined one, and serve them as crafter.  They never ask what spec, actually he is only lvl 65.

You should understand it from their perspective.  They were trying to organise a raid.  They were trying to do say 10 H ToGC, and they were stuck at anub.  In that fight, you need to top up a tank in phase3.  2 raid healers is a bad idea.   So for that team, they need a tank heal to maximise chance of success.  What would they do if they got 4 applicants from 4 raid healers?  Ok, they accept them all, only 1 got to raid with them every week, that is going to be a heck of a problem if the other 3 also wants to raid.  If you are willing to join and not insist on a guaranteed raid spot, and they trust you will not QQ, there is good chance they take you.  Will you talk to them with that understanding?  NO, you want to raid, you said it.  That, alone means unless their raid setup have a guaranteed slot for you, you don't want in.

So it is not fair to denounce them that way.  For the purpose of rounding up a raid team, they have plans for specific setup and roles.  For the purpose of socialisation, they can take social members.  If you look at raid guilds formed mainly to run raids, they have very few social members as they have fewer social activities.  If you look at social guilds, come on, I have been in guilds that meets once a month for outing.

As for your person hostility to PUGs, no comments.  Your wordings borders on QQ and too emotional to talk sense out of it.

• 0tter0tter Member UncommonPosts: 226

I felt the same way after playing WoW for almost a year...meh.  But what do you expect?  Any game will get boring after spending that much time on it.  It's just time for you to move on and try something new, not come here and create a thread that bashes a game that kept you interested for 9 months of your life.  And as for the problem you had with the people in game, those were your classic hardcore gamer types that exist in every mmorpg.  For these people, mmorpg s aren't "games", they are ways of life and all of their self esteem is gotten from their status in the game.  Sounds like you just associated with the wrong people.  I never got kicked from a group even when I didn't know what I was doing.  How are you going to learn if you aren't given the chance?  Join a casual guild in the next mmorpg you play and stay away from the hardcore, you may actual enjoy the game that way. 

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

It's a game that's been out 5 years, you can't really expect to find lots of brand new players leveling toons. WoW is pretty alt-friendly though, so you're more likely to find people with low level toons in WoW than in many other older MMOs.

Sounds more like a problem with the guild(s) you chose than an overall issue with WoW. I've always been very social with the people I've been in guilds with. If I felt like people in my guild were being cold, I'd probably just find another guild.

What the hell? This is a game, right? LOL.

Well, from what you describe you are pretty new to WoW endgame, so of course your guild is going to have requirements and suggestions for you. WoW raiding is one of the only aspects of the game, along with PvP, that offers a significant challenge. As such, you have to come prepared. You can't just waltz in there as a new player and goof around and expect to accomplish anything. It requires you to be prepared with certain items and gear, know precisely how to play your character, understand the mechanics of the boss fights, and have certain raiding mods like Omen and Deadly Boss Mods. In other words, your guild was just trying to help you.

What's more, because the game has been out for 1/2 a decade, I was leveling alone and never really had a chance to group, so I never could learn the fancy group dynamics until I hit 80 and started with PUGs.
    The game itself is pretty awesome. I love the lore, and just watching the trailer for 3.3 gave me chills. But there's no "experiencing" the game. You need to run around following somebody making sure you do as your told when you're told, and so help us Lord if we check X add-on and you're no measuring up, we're dropping your sorry ass.So between the absolutey required add-ons, the ridiculous expectations that people had and the fact that almost no one logged in realizes that WoW is a GAME, I'm calling it quits. Which is a shame, because I would have loved to have experienced all the content that Blizzard had developed.

If you like the game otherwise, I think you're giving up on it too easily. It sounds to me like you hit endgame which is 10 times more challenging than leveling up, discovered that you are not going to be instantly awesome at it, and are just giving up. What you need is a casual guild that doesn't mind taking new players who needs some coaching. It might be hard to find on some servers, but if you enjoy the game it's worth it to search around, try posting on the realm forum, etc., because those types of guilds do exist.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

In games like wow  and every mmorpg community plays abig part of how the games feel this expirience. My guess is u joined the wrong realm,many dickheads around,lots of angry inmature kids etc. Bad luck i guess. If i were you i would try transfer to an rp-pvp realm .If u want a hint try Defias brotherhood realm .It used to be the best Rp-Pvp  server ,and one of the best servers in all wow concerning the quality of the ppl. I played there almost 3.5 years and had my best mmorpg time in there. Now its bit worst ofc cause many rets transfered from pvp realms here,but you can still meet online many legends of Defias brotherhood server in both sides H and A. From the legendary crafter Soltys,the notorious gnome warrior Xixipli,the dwarf female pladin Nina and many others that still playing there 5 years now.Lots of casual and friendly guilds there to make friends also. I d suggest asking for entrance to Keepers of mrakness ,its  the oldest guilds in Defias,and tell them that Halidir the hunter sends you :P .have a good time there if u deside to transfer on Defias brotherhood.

• darkb457darkb457 Member CommonPosts: 47

Actually, I think what ruined it is that it gives you 5 years of fandom in 10 mins in the worst way, also it's classes are imbalanced completely, eg the warlock's hopeless against ANYONE

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by darkb457

Actually, I think what ruined it is that it gives you 5 years of fandom in 10 mins in the worst way, also it's classes are imbalanced completely, eg the warlock's hopeless against ANYONE

i agree with the 1st part ,but i wont agree with the balance isuue u mentioned. Wow classes are balanced for 2v2 3v3 5v5. If u r talking about 1v1 then yes it aint balanced for that, with the meaning that in 1v1 each class depending its specc can kill some classes but has good chance to die from other classes too.

Concerning the warlocks u are 100% wrong cause they can simply destroy in 1v1 almost all classes if they know how to play ofc. The other day i watched a duel with a destruction warlock and a taren warrior (the warrior had 30 k life with full pvp gear furious+relentless and the duel ended in around 4 seconds . the warlock didtohim 30 k dmg in 4 secs. I was shocked.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I can remember levelling a character in Wow on release 5 yrs ago and you are not really missing out on too much. Fewer quests and the leveling game was more of a grind then too.
     I've been running random PUG heroics recently for kicks and there is no chat at all. Players just run the instance and that's it. You need to find a social or RP guild for chat in the game.
    I think they should give cross server 10 raid as a random PUG across servers with reward. People would do it.