Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Wait, AA is the game of the decade now? :|

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Metal Gear Rising is actually prequel the Metal Gear Solid 4, but yes, there will be a new MGS game!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Originally posted by Thenarius

Everyone will have their own favourite, but for me (and many others), yes. Other than B:AA, Mass Effect and Plants vs Zombies there haven't been any titles that have truly managed to provide me top notch gaming fun for a long time.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

I was so excited to see that trailer for a new Arkham Asylum.  I'm a huge fan of Batman: The Animated Series and nearly wet myself with glee when I heard both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil were doing the voice overs.  The game may have been short, but it was top notch quality and it really felt like the first GOOD Batman style game.

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

GAME OF THE DECADE, LOLOLOL

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Game of the Decade? Wtf? The game sucks. The only thing it has going for it is it's a pretty good playable movie.

"Not another head ramming boss..... Man...."

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I liked AA but I don;t think its the best game of the decade.

As a stealth action game I've had a much better time playing The metalgear and splinter cell series than AA.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Axxar

Originally posted by Thenarius

Everyone will have their own favourite, but for me (and many others), yes. Other than B:AA, Mass Effect and Plants vs Zombies there haven't been any titles that have truly managed to provide me top notch gaming fun for a long time.

There are plenty of FUN games, but game of the decade is a title that should go to a game that actually did something for the industry. 

Originally posted by SignusM

There are plenty of FUN games, but game of the decade is a title that should go to a game that actually did something for the industry. 

It will probably be Half Life 2

Originally posted by SignusM

It will probably be Half Life 2

Even though I felt Bioshock came close I agree HL2 was the best Single player FPS game this decade.

Freaking awesome game and awesome mod community.

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128

Stunning game.... but not the game of the decade.

Possibly the game of the year...Maybie.  

BoB

• Half-Life 2, AKA the game where every day when the development team met up for work, they went "hey, let's find off some new way to show off our physics engine instead of actually providing decent gameplay"? Both HL2 and Doom 3 were disappointments, although at least Doom 3 was worth a play through.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Half-Life 2, AKA the game where every day when the development team met up for work, they went "hey, let's find off some new way to show off our physics engine instead of actually providing decent gameplay"? Both HL2 and Doom 3 were disappointments, although at least Doom 3 was worth a play through.

lol, HL2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doom 3

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Ummm.... if WoW isn't Game of the Decade then nothing else deserves it.

Yeah, I don't really like the game, it's flawed many ways, we all know it really didn't bring anything to the table EXCEPT opening up our world to the rest of the world in a light that wasn't a 30 something fat nerdy EQ1 player committing suicide because he fell in love with a chick that turned out to be a dude.

EVERYONE knows what WoW is. My freaking 56yr old country bumpkin dad knows what WoW is. Only a select few knew what Everquest was.

criticisedOriginally posted by Axxar

Half-Life 2, AKA the game where every day when the development team met up for work, they went "hey, let's find off some new way to show off our physics engine instead of actually providing decent gameplay"? Both HL2 and Doom 3 were disappointments, although at least Doom 3 was worth a play through.

HL 2 was a disssapointment...for you.

It was a very good game and the Source engine(yeah yeah, it came with CS:S but its main point was HL2), while being criticised by certain people, was something great at its time.

Without it, TF2, L4D series, Portal and other Valve games wouldn't exist in their current form or wouldn't exist at all.

It had a huge impact on PC gaming.

No matter how you twist it, even if you exclude HL2, there are a lot more games that deserve this title more than AA.

• Half-Life 2 was a very good game... to you. The reason I'm harsh on Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 is I was a big fan of the originals and expected the followups to be at least as good, but they were disappointing to me as they just weren't as good as the originals. Doom 3 has excellent atmosphere and amazingly detailed visuals, but its repetitive gameplay and flashlight vs gun syndrome made it just not very fun to play. With HL2 the good gameplay of the original was replaced with tedious physics engine showcases. I'm sure these games were well-received in reviews, but I don't give a crap. I don't get more enjoyment out of a game dependent on reviewers. For me, if it's fun, it's fun. And if a game like HL2 or Doom 3 is the "champion" of a series of unnamed games more deserving of praise than BAA, colour me unimpressed.

Take a game like L4D which IMO is infinitely better than either HL2 or Doom 3, and to me a good example that it isn't the engine that makes a game great - it's what you do with the engine. And no, the fact that L4D uses the same engine as HL2 doesn't retroactively affect my lack of enthusiasm when I played HL2, so it doesn't magically become a better game because some later game with the same engine didn't suck. Same goes for UT3 vs BAA.

As for WoW being game of the decade... Well if you pick a game of the decade based on how many knows about it, sure. That's not how I would elect one, though. I rate a game based on how good it felt to play it. It means little to me whether someone else knows about it (not that BAA isn't widely known, just saying).

I did enjoy the boat ride in HL2, however.

Half-Life 2 was a very good game... to you. The reason I'm harsh on Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 is I was a big fan of the originals and expected the followups to be at least as good, but they were disappointing to me as they just weren't as good as the originals. Doom 3 has excellent atmosphere and amazingly detailed visuals, but its repetitive gameplay and flashlight vs gun syndrome made it just not very fun to play. With HL2 the good gameplay of the original was replaced with tedious physics engine showcases. I'm sure these games were well-received in reviews, but I don't give a crap. I don't get more enjoyment out of a game dependent on reviewers. For me, if it's fun, it's fun. And if a game like HL2 or Doom 3 is the "champion" of a series of unnamed games more deserving of praise than BAA, colour me unimpressed.
    Take a game like L4D which IMO is infinitely better than either HL2 or Doom 3, and to me a good example that it isn't the engine that makes a game great - it's what you do with the engine. And no, the fact that L4D uses the same engine as HL2 doesn't retroactively affect my lack of enthusiasm when I played HL2, so it doesn't magically become a better game because some later game with the same engine didn't suck. Same goes for UT3 vs BAA.
    As for WoW being game of the decade... Well if you pick a game of the decade based on how many knows about it, sure. That's not how I would elect one, though. I rate a game based on how good it felt to play it. It means little to me whether someone else knows about it (not that BAA isn't widely known, just saying).
    I did enjoy the boat ride in HL2, however.

Dude, L4d is basically a HL2 mod. Remember when HL2 released? people went crazy! Reviewers went nuts!

Yeah L4d is a cute little co-op shooter but HL2 is a freaking epic ride.

I'm sorry that your like the one player (theres always one) that hates every sequel.

HL2 was ten times the game HL1 was, take off the rose colored glasses please.

seriously must we run into these older players that hate every new game?

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

I definitely wouldn't say it's the Game of the Decade, but B:AA is a great game and I'm glad they're making a sequel.

• Originally posted by metalhead980 
    Dude, L4d is basically a HL2 mod. Remember when HL2 released? people went crazy! Reviewers went nuts!
    Yeah L4d is a cute little co-op shooter but HL2 is a freaking epic ride.
    I'm sorry that your like the one player (theres always one) that hates every sequel.
    HL2 was ten times the game HL1 was, take off the rose colored glasses please.
    seriously must we run into these older players that hate every new game?

What on Earth are you on about?

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Half-Life 2 was a very good game... to you. The reason I'm harsh on Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 is I was a big fan of the originals and expected the followups to be at least as good, but they were disappointing to me as they just weren't as good as the originals. Doom 3 has excellent atmosphere and amazingly detailed visuals, but its repetitive gameplay and flashlight vs gun syndrome made it just not very fun to play. With HL2 the good gameplay of the original was replaced with tedious physics engine showcases. I'm sure these games were well-received in reviews, but I don't give a crap. I don't get more enjoyment out of a game dependent on reviewers. For me, if it's fun, it's fun. And if a game like HL2 or Doom 3 is the "champion" of a series of unnamed games more deserving of praise than BAA, colour me unimpressed.

Uh, Doom 3's gameplay was repetitive and not an improvement over Doom 1/2? Sorry but that's just wrong. The original Doom games were multiple times more repetitive in their environments, and the original doom games were mostly about going through waves of monsters to get to the next elevator, with little to no story elements. Also the flashlight swapping was meant to instill a sense of fear of the dark, making sight have the disadvantage of vulnerability, which is mitigated if you bound your flashlight swap key to something easy.

As for HL2, the story was also infinitely more detailed and in depth than the original. The game atmosphere was also significantly better compared to the first game. HL1 was pretty epic, and HL2 was a continuation of that.

I think you're just being overly critical against games that have otherwise been hailed as great successors to the originals by gaming communities abroad.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

No votes for metroid prime. 

• Kaldor_ffKaldor_ff Member Posts: 12

kotor