Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starcraft 2 beta pushed back to 2010

bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

"Wondering what happened to those StarCraft II beta invites? After all, it is late 2009 as Blizzard mentioned, and so far there is no word about its impending release. Unfortunately, it does not look as if the beta will make an appearance in 2009 after all, according to Blizzard producer Chris Sigaty.

In a recent interview with Russian website Goha.ru held during the three-day games expo IgroMir, Sigaty said that the beta won't make an appearance until 2010, and then refused to mention any additional info, saying that Blizzard isn't discussing dates... the remaining portion of the interview regurgitated common StarCraft II knowledge stemming from BlizCon 2009: offline play is possible but no achievements will be acquired, etc."

SC2 is expected to launch summer 2010. SC1 sold over 11 million units worldwide.

Comments

• FailedFailed Member Posts: 15

Good to hear that they are able to push the release back if it's needed. Games that are pushed out the door when not ready for release are so 20th century :)

Difficile est satiram non scribere

• NosmircNosmirc Member Posts: 6

ya it would be nice if they would get the beta going we have seen the battle reports so the game works let us in to find the bug and help balance it.

• DrangCDrangC Member Posts: 6

Not necessarily new, but better than nothing.

I remember a Blizzard interview where it was stated that the company's goal is to have a major commercial release every year. Clearly, they missed 2009!

Having said that, I'm thinking SC2 open beta will happen January/February of 2010, with a SC2 release in time for the holidays of 2010. Cataclysm will release summer of 2010. (Again, pure speculation)

• cladcladcladclad Member Posts: 6

Son, I am disappoint....

fly safe and carry a big ship

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

SC2 won't hit open beta. Just closed.

• yelnatszyelnatsz Member UncommonPosts: 2

what no beta or anything? hope in comes out near the beginning half of next year (probably not) but i think there having a good pace at it...

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by yelnatsz

what no beta or anything? hope in comes out near the beginning half of next year (probably not) but i think there having a good pace at it...

I wouldn't expect it before September 2010.

• yelnatszyelnatsz Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Originally posted by yelnatsz

I wouldn't expect it before September 2010.

ah man, but you know there might be some hope during the summer, been waiting for this since 6th grade i think, i will be in 11th be then. Blizzard does take their time doing what they do, but they sure do make some good games

• KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101

dont really carea nymore, not since i heard the news they would be charging for each races version of the game =/

• OrdoAbChaoOrdoAbChao Member Posts: 339
    Originally posted by Kitsunami

dont really carea nymore, not since i heard the news they would be charging for each races version of the game =/

Source of this information?

P.S. Blizzard:  It's 2010, wheres my invite?

Feel The Freedom.
    "If you're looking for the solution, you only need to look in the mirror." - Alex Jones

False Flag Terrorism.
    It's not a conspiracy theory. It's a tactical strategy.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by OrdoAbChao

Source of this information?

P.S. Blizzard:  It's 2010, wheres my invite?

possibly referring to this, http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/10/starcraft-2-to-be-released-as-a-trilogy/

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Not entirely true. It is true that each race single player campaign will be released separate. Blizzard has stated that each of these campaigns will feature enough content to justify that they are released as expansions. You will be able to enjoy multiplayer games without the expansions.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Well, if Blizzard Corporation says it is justified to pay full retail price for each campaign who are we to doubt them.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Zoulz

Not entirely true. It is true that each race single player campaign will be released separate. Blizzard has stated that each of these campaigns will feature enough content to justify that they are released as expansions. You will be able to enjoy multiplayer games without the expansions.

Each campaign will have 30 odd missions per race, original SC has 8-10 missions per race (~30 missions), the first campaign will also feature a mini protos campaign and full 3 race multiplayer and over 30 maps, plus the campaign and map editor.

We are not getting less content.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477
    Originally posted by Airspell

Well, if Blizzard Corporation says it is justified to pay full retail price for each campaign who are we to doubt them.

Question is, why would you doubt them because they are a corporation? I'm really sick of the whole blizzard is EVUL bullshit.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by coffee

Originally posted by Zoulz

Each campaign will have 30 odd missions per race, original SC has 8-10 missions per race (~30 missions), the first campaign will also feature a mini protos campaign and full 3 race multiplayer and over 30 maps, plus the campaign and map editor.

We are not getting less content.

Both of the Warhammer 40K Dawn of War series have done this and it works. As long as they are full fledged campaigns instead of one campaign chopped up into mini ones, this will mean we get to see new playable single (and cooperative?) player content for some time to come. I would rather see that than it be like the first Starcraft with its one damn expansion.

.....But wait ... they pushed back the closed beta date!!??

:: puts on troll mask and tinfoil hat ::

VAPORWARE VAPORWARE!!! THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

My work is done here.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Originally posted by Failed

Good to hear that they are able to push the release back if it's needed. Games that are pushed out the door when not ready for release are so 20th century :)

Blizzard always delays stuff, and doesn't release what they feel is unfinished. I mean they delayed D2 for almost a year and a half, and now SC2 almost 2 years. They have the track record of not releasing it until it is finished (No matter how long it takes).

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

SC2 beta key signups since the 22nd over eleven pages deep... due the 29th.

link

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

It is unofficial but it is not a secret anymore... Beta Announcements Date.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Blizzard is simply taking the pirate community into consideration.   They know that pirates will simply buy 1 version to play multiplayer and simply download the single player campaigns version illegally.  I mean, why else would companies try to squeeze every dime from their fans with such tactics as SC2 is doing, or DLCs if not to encourage pirating ?  This is all part of a cunning plan by Blizzard Activision....or wait who owns them now ? I forget :/

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Meh, I still don't know why I should be excited about Starcraft 2.

The graphics are fine but not outstanding, the gameplay seems solid but doesn't offer anything new. And it's for people with a micromanagement-fetish, where I prefer games like TA or Supreme Commander.

The only thing that is big about Starcraft 2 is the success of it's precessor, it's name and the name of the company behind it, imho.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ElthrisElthris Member Posts: 13

Honestly i don't mind when the game come's out as long as it is as good as the first one and i have enough time to upgrade my pc to play it.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by Airspell

Blizzard is simply taking the pirate community into consideration.   They know that pirates will simply buy 1 version to play multiplayer and simply download the single player campaigns version illegally.  I mean, why else would companies try to squeeze every dime from their fans with such tactics as SC2 is doing, or DLCs if not to encourage pirating ?  This is all part of a cunning plan by Blizzard Activision....or wait who owns them now ? I forget :/

Same person that owned em before

Vivendi/Universal

• AeturanAeturan Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by maji

The only thing that is big about Starcraft 2 is the success of it's precessor, it's name and the name of the company behind it, imho.

I have to agree...it looks like they're "WoW-ifying" the Starcraft franchise to "rejuvenate" it. 

I have no doubt they'll do the same to Diablo...

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567
    Originally posted by Aeturan

Originally posted by maji

I have to agree...it looks like they're "WoW-ifying" the Starcraft franchise to "rejuvenate" it. 

I have no doubt they'll do the same to Diablo...

you know as soon as WH40k MMO hits they'll likely announce a Starcraft MMO as well.