Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just Purchased - Question

DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

Okay, followed this game for some time now. I use to roleplay on their official forums back in the day when people said the game would never release etc. 

So I decided to buy it, since I didn't get into FE as much as I had hoped (thought I would really like a shooter, but I realize I only will if it is like a real FPS where headshots are headshots, etc).

I am at work, so I remoted (VNC is slow) into my machine at home and downloaded the client (50mb). Installed. Launched. No updater? Just server/new character. Do I have to create a new character before the updater launches?

I would like it ready for when I get home tonight, or at latest by tomorrow morning :D

Thanks!

Comments

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

It takes a minute but the patcher immediately starts updating and you can see its progress near the top.  If you close the client it will start from where you left off.

• imajikaimajika Member Posts: 9

You have to have created an account and logged in before the patcher starts.

• DelusiveDelusive Member Posts: 151

Okay, relaunching started the patch. I was just trying to avoid that since VNC is so slow. Once the launcher is up, it is practically unresponsive.

It showed a 659k speed before I lost connection. So how long do you think I am looking at?

Some ME background. I haven't been in a guild in years, since I met my wife. Me and her were in one in SWG back before NGE, but never since. I am use to duoing since most games allow for that. She hates PvP in all games but WAR, so she won't be joining me on this journey. I don't care for PvP in most MMO games because, well, it isn't the same as FPS, where skill is everything. Love FPS, but NOT Counter Strike style, where you kill, killed, respawn...rince and repeat. I'm talking Americas Army. When you die, your out for the remainder of the round. Makes you take caution in your actions.

I'm hoping Darkfall has that feel. Some of the vids scare me though. I see players just circle constantly and no blocking, which isn't very realistic. I also hate when people jump non-stop in fights (like crouchers in FPS games).

My plan was to be a sword wielder, maybe some archery, and some self heal for between battles (PVE mindset, may change).

What is some good advice for a new player?

• vodnikvodnik Member UncommonPosts: 31

Just play the game, try out different stuff and see what you like. It's not possible to do anything "wrong" that will screw up your character.

The only thing you might want to keep in mind when just starting is: don't kill your own race while you're still learning the game, being a new player with no home isn't easy.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

And join the NEW clan.

DF is so different from all other MMOs so some help in the beginning is not a bad thing : )

Originally posted by vodnik

Just play the game, try out different stuff and see what you like. It's not possible to do anything "wrong" that will screw up your character.

The only thing you might want to keep in mind when just starting is: don't kill your own race while you're still learning the game, being a new player with no home isn't easy.

Sounds like a plan.

I doubt I'll start the fights often, except with the Orks. I plan to keep killing them till I slay every last one, or die trying. Vengance for my families slaughter wil be mine!!! (remembering my old RP character)

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by daarco

And join the NEW clan.
    DF is so different from all other MMOs so some help in the beginning is not a bad thing : )

dont join the NEW clan

-chat with people and ask why theirs clan even exist

-try to find good people and hang with them like in real life

many people thinks NEW clan is for carebears and KOS them

Generation P

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by inBOIL

And join the NEW clan.

dont join the NEW clan

Yes, but NEW has so many numbers they gang up on gankers rofl. Saw this happen last night against another clan.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by Delusive

So I decided to buy it, since I didn't get into FE as much as I had hoped (thought I would really like a shooter, but I realize I only will if it is like a real FPS where headshots are headshots, etc).

OffTopic:

Headshots ARE headshots in FE, and they do double damage when you score an accurate one. Just because you struggled to make the shots does not mean they do not exist as part of the game, they most certainly do exist and they work very well depending on how skilled you are at making them.

Sorry for the derail, cant stand misinformation being misconstrued as fact.

Originally posted by Euphoryk

OffTopic:

Headshots ARE headshots in FE, and they do double damage when you score an accurate one. Just because you struggled to make the shots does not mean they do not exist as part of the game, they most certainly do exist and they work very well depending on how skilled you are at making them.

Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. To me, a headshot equals death, not double damage. So by my definition of a headshot, they do not exist in FE. Now in an FPS, a headshot kills, unleass it is a game like Halo, where you have a sheild and it takes two headshots to bring them down (which I do not like). Also I never said I struggle with them, they just don't work as I think they should.

Sweet, patch complete!

Now I just have to distract the wife with something else when I get home so I can create a character and play lol j/k. She probably will want to watch, since I've talked about this game for so long.

Originally posted by MaGicBush

And join the NEW clan.

dont join the NEW clan

Yes, but NEW has so many numbers they gang up on gankers rofl. Saw this happen last night against another clan.

noooo,seems like his Wife is probably watching soo he dont wanna die in the first place!

Generation P

And join the NEW clan.

dont join the NEW clan

noooo,seems like his Wife is probably watching soo he dont wanna die in the first place!

Will other players be able to tell what clan I am in? Like if I did join NEW, others could tell? I thought names etc didn't float over characters like in most games.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

OffTopic:

Sorry, maybe I should have been more clear. To me, a headshot equals death, not double damage. So by my definition of a headshot, they do not exist in FE. Now in an FPS, a headshot kills, unleass it is a game like Halo, where you have a sheild and it takes two headshots to bring them down (which I do not like). Also I never said I struggle with them, they just don't work as I think they should.

Sorry but FE/Darkfall are mmos not lobby games, you pay monthly and more in the case of darkfall since it's full loot headshot = dead would be a pain.

Doubt there will be any P2P mmo with headshot = dead aim bot and many whines would ruin it.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Good luck. Post your impressions later on, I'm curious and I want to compare them with mine.

And join the NEW clan.

dont join the NEW clan

Will other players be able to tell what clan I am in? Like if I did join NEW, others could tell? I thought names etc didn't float over characters like in most games.

yes,they can ,like you were wearing Finnish World Cups 2010 Football teams shirt in sweden

Generation P

Originally posted by bloodaxes

OffTopic:

Sorry but FE/Darkfall are mmos not lobby games, you pay monthly and more in the case of darkfall since it's full loot headshot = dead would be a pain.

Doubt there will be any P2P mmo with headshot = dead aim bot and many whines would ruin it.

Was not talking in regards to Darkfall, but FE which is a shooter. And I can't see why this wouldn't work, take away full loot for the shooter. I'm not scared of dying from a headshot, are you? If not, then it will work, just another niche game.

Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Good luck. Post your impressions later on, I'm curious and I want to compare them with mine.

Logging in now. Give my impressions later : )

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Was not talking in regards to Darkfall, but FE which is a shooter. And I can't see why this wouldn't work, take away full loot for the shooter. I'm not scared of dying from a headshot, are you? If not, then it will work, just another niche game.

The game is not only pvp and I'd rather please 100 then please 10 that want headshot in the game to make pvp easier/shorter.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I would recommend not joining a guild until you have a good feel for the game. No matter what guild you join its going to paint a big red target on your back. Atleast while you are in the starter race guilds you are realitively safe and most people won't take the time to kill you. But once you leave that starter guild there is no going back into it unless you delete and make a new character.

The NEW clan is a good idea but so far it fails in execution. It makes a very easy target for anyone wanting to gank newbies. That plus the fact that the NEW clan is spread out over the whole map for the most part doesn't make it a very friendly new player guild.

If you do plan to stay with the game you might look at joining a more established guild like Lords of the Dead (LOTD) or Evil Bastards (EB), or Sinister (SIN). All of them guilds are established and have home cities / area for you to work out of to help learn the game. Most of them will take in a new player that is series about sticking with the game. Having a clan with an established base and reputation with the player numbers to back them up helps getting into the game and getting a foot hold. I can't stress enough how having people in the same area as you helping you out when enemy players show up will help you out.

The game is not only pvp and I'd rather please 100 then please 10 that want headshot in the game to make pvp easier/shorter.

Why do people always assume. I never said I want easier or shorter. I'm saying if a game is going to be a shooter, then be realistic...

And it would seem Darkfall is doing just that, trying to please those 10 rather than those 100, and it is working for them.

Back on topic.

Played the game for just a little bit before supper.

The game launched at 800x600 even though I set it to 1920x1080, so character creation was done at that resolution.

Not bad looking models, but woulda liked control over eye color and height (created a human).

The AA doesn't do anything when I cranked it up in game so I left it off.

Ran the two starter quests, no problems. Kills were a little challenging but nothing that couldn't be handled. No deaths yet, but no PvP either. I used a sword and shield, some arrows and a bow, no magic yet.

Liked the movement etc. Slower paced, but comfortable when sprinting. Strafing and backwards movement is slowed down, like that too.

Like that looting requires sheathing and sifting, just need to get the pattern down.

I found the graphics to be pleasant. 

Haven't figured out how to see myself from the front yet, need to read up in the HELP some.

One thing I enjoyed was when I got jumped by several goblins, my life was down 3/4 and what did I do...I RAN. I haven't done that in a game for a long while. Why? Because there was no penalties. I ran becuase I didn't want to lose all the stuff I fought for. That was a pleasant feeling.

Will give more impressions later.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Haven't figured out how to see myself from the front yet, need to read up in the HELP some.

Use the rest skill, is in general skills. Select it and activate it with left mouse click in "action" mode.

Riding and Sailing gives you a around look view too.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Use the rest skill, is in general skills. Select it and activate it with left mouse click in "action" mode.

Riding and Sailing gives you a around look view too.

Thanks for the tip.

Looks like I won't get anymore playing time tonight. Wife wanted to play DDO and now watch a show together. Will play some tomorrow and hopefully have a PvP story and some more impressions of the game.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

About the settings, I set the res to the highest but alot of stuff is best to set with the graphics card out of game. I went to my catalyst control center and set up the AA settings and such there and it improved in game. DFO can look pretty sweet, it's just like with Battlefield everyone turns all their settings down to squeeze those extra few FPS out in a fight.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

I mapped screenshots to PrintScreen, but I can't find the pics. Does this feature not work?

Also, enjoying the game thus far.

Finally experienced some PvP.  I was grouped with two others killing some gobs, they were with NEW. A random guy (same race) was smacking around on us. I died once, but we managed to bring him down. He then came back with another and they owned us, I was looted. Next day, got killed by another person, looted again.

There are some arses in game. People trying to exploit others out of town to kill them (not sure if really an exploit, but still f'd up). People casting debuffs in town. I just try to hall balls outta town and find a spot away from everything else, at least when harvesting. Try to hunt during the early morning, or with a group.

I did join NEW. I haven't done anything with them yet, just the two who origianlly helped me.

Liking it a lot, it has a good balance of fun and work. When I say work I mean quests, gathering, and crafting.

Well, can't really say crafting. I've cooked and refined some wood. It takes some time to skill up the gathering/crafting. Went AFK on a boulder, coming back to restart the process after running out of stamina. Only managed 7 Sulfur for my new mage spell. Wasn't going to take magic, but man does it look cool when some of those cools spells go off on you.

I wish they would combine weapon skills together. Was training with sword and board for a while, not realizing two hander would be seperate. Fealt like I was starting all over lol.