Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the plunge...

WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

... so, here's hoping the water's agreeable.

So, I finally just said "screw it" and went ahead and purchased a copy of DF.

It's currently patching... very, very s-l-o-w-l-y. At this rate, it'll hopefully be done patching by about noon tomorrow (about 14 hours from now). I'm going through the DF patcher, as the torrent didn't seem much faster, nor did a direct download through FilePlanet, even as a subscriber with full-speed access. I think my 'net connection here just sucks, to be honest. Good thing it's temporary and I'll be getting a better one in the near future.

But in any case... I haven't decided what race to play yet, but I think I'm leaning toward the Mirdain at least for right now; it has a lot to do with me recreating a character I've carried into each game I've played going back to Neverwinter Nights. However, I'm reading up on the lore and such of each race, which I'm finding pretty interesting and well written. So we'll see what I end up with. It could change by the time I'm creating a character.

Anyhoo... thought I'd drop in and post that update :). Also, I'm playing on the US servers.

See y'all in game!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
- Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Comments

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

Grats! I'm jealous, lol as I'm dying to try it out myself but I'm too broke right now with my family and I having just moved and all so keep us updated on how it goes and what you think. All I can do until around January is read posts about DF so give me details, lol!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Zorlofe

Grats! I'm jealous, lol as I'm dying to try it out myself but I'm too broke right now with my family and I having just moved and all so keep us updated on how it goes and what you think. All I can do until around January is read posts about DF so give me details, lol!

Heheh, well I'm in the same position, having just relocated back North to upstate New York from South Carolina (I'm a yankee by birth, anyway, so I'm more "at home" up here). I just landed a job (well, assuming my drug test and background check go okay, which they will) and start on Monday, so this is sort of a "reward" to myself. Not like I really needed a reason beyond "I wanna check that game out", but hey... it's a good enough excuse for me.

That said, you bet I'll give updates. I've definitely got a lot of "explorer" in my playstyle and am a bit of a screenshot junky so I'll be creating a folder for DF on my picasa page as well... I hope to find some nice, wallpaper worthy screenshots, and will probably have some goofy captions for a lot of them. I'll be sure to provide a link once I have a library going.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

Welcome to Darkfall! Look forward to hearing your impressions of the game and seeing some good screenies ^^

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Zorlofe

Heheh, well I'm in the same position, having just relocated back North to upstate New York from South Carolina (I'm a yankee by birth, anyway, so I'm more "at home" up here). I just landed a job (well, assuming my drug test and background check go okay, which they will) and start on Monday, so this is sort of a "reward" to myself. Not like I really needed a reason beyond "I wanna check that game out", but hey... it's a good enough excuse for me.

That said, you bet I'll give updates. I've definitely got a lot of "explorer" in my playstyle and am a bit of a screenshot junky so I'll be creating a folder for DF on my picasa page as well... I hope to find some nice, wallpaper worthy screenshots, and will probably have some goofy captions for a lot of them. I'll be sure to provide a link once I have a library going.

Sweet, sounds good and looking forward to it! Also, good luck on your job!

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Welcome to Darkfall! If you feel like joining a clan right away, check out the NEW clan. I've heard a lot of good stuff about them.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

Yeah, I'll be there in a few days, once I recover from an eye surgery. Downloading the client, was fast, so far.

Let's see if your experiences will be similar to mine. I'm a bit jaded from playing at release. It'll be fun to compare.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Yeah, I'll be there in a few days, once I recover from an eye surgery. Downloading the client, was fast, so far.
    Let's see if your experiences will be similar to mine. I'm a bit jaded from playing at release. It'll be fun to compare.

Just recovering from my own little medical scare. Wish you the best man.

PM me when you're ready to get going. I have a bunch of stuff (mounts/equip/supplies etc.) to get you going again if needed.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Just recovering from my own little medical scare. Wish you the best man.
    PM me when you're ready to get going. I have a bunch of stuff (mounts/equip/supplies etc.) to get you going again if needed.

Yeah, when you start seeing black lines, better go to a doctor.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably pass up. I want to have the full-blown newbie experience, from scratch. I'll send the names of those who gank me shamelessly so you can chase them for me.

I'll most likely play a Mirdain, focusing on Sword 'n board + Dagger/Archery. This was the setup that caused me untold grief in the past, and it would be interesting to see the difference. I'll stay away from Magic as much as I can.

What are the least played races, ATM? And the most? I made the mistake of making a Human the first time around, bad call.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

When your toes get wet, please let me know, either by messege or a  full blown post. I  have, for 8 or so years been waiting for this game, now that it is  out, I don't know...did I spell messege correcctly? Holy crap, I am drunk... ANYWAY, you  send me a tell after you have been in a few weeks, please. I am DYING to try this...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Slampig

When your toes get wet, please let me know, either by messege or a  full blown post. I  have, for 8 or so years been waiting for this game, now that it is  out, I don't know...did I spell messege correcctly? Holy crap, I am drunk... ANYWAY, you  send me a tell after you have been in a few weeks, please. I am DYING to try this...

Do it!!!!! You know you want to!!!! Don't deny your hunger for blood and massacre!!! Purchase Darkfall!!!!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by StrixMaxima

Eek, good luck on the eye surgery recovery. Def. not a good thing to be dealing with as a gamer.

As for comparing experiences... Sounds cool. Though our playstyles may well be very different, which would color our experiences, but I'm sure we could still compare notes on objective things - like creatures, environment, etc. Will have to try that.

Originally posted by Agricola1

Do it!!!!! You know you want to!!!! Don't deny your hunger for blood and massacre!!! Purchase Darkfall!!!!

I don't think Gary Numan would approve of your unmitigated display of bloodlust. Gary seems like such a mellow dude; at least all the times I've seen him.

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Look me up in game Mike. Kullen Masters in game if you want some company. Mirdain myself so will group with ya if needed. Usually around about 7pm est.

Ahhh that sounds cool... I'll look you up. I am still leaning toward Mirdain as of now, so would be cool to have a contact off the bat.

Be good to know someone to haras... err... ask questions to in-game when I have them :-p. Naw, seriously, I'm one of those people who enjoys learning and playing the game as I believe it was intended; so I tend to avoid guides and don't ask for hand-outs (money, gear), etc. If I'm paying to play a game... I want to actually *play* it. But advice or helpful tips are always welcome.

So... there's a first name and a sir name in DF, or does it just allow room for two names in the character creation? If there are sir names, do they carry any relevance?

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by Agricola1

I don't think Gary Numan would approve of your unmitigated display of bloodlust. Gary seems like such a mellow dude; at least all the times I've seen him.

Good point, as soon as box sales are available I'm buying one and sending it to Gary Numan! That way I can be a Numanoid and still justify my lust for sensless violence!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

It's currently patching... very, very s-l-o-w-l-y. At this rate, it'll hopefully be done patching by about noon tomorrow (about 14 hours from now). I'm going through the DF patcher, as the torrent didn't seem much faster, nor did a direct download through FilePlanet, even as a subscriber with full-speed access. I think my 'net connection here just sucks, to be honest. Good thing it's temporary and I'll be getting a better one in the near future.
    But in any case... I haven't decided what race to play yet, but I think I'm leaning toward the Mirdain at least for right now; it has a lot to do with me recreating a character I've carried into each game I've played going back to Neverwinter Nights. However, I'm reading up on the lore and such of each race, which I'm finding pretty interesting and well written. So we'll see what I end up with. It could change by the time I'm creating a character.
    Anyhoo... thought I'd drop in and post that update :). Also, I'm playing on the US servers.

See y'all in game!

Good luck, Mike.

As a long-time critic/skeptic as well and one who doesn't fall for Tasos' "Jedi mind tricks"; it will be interesting reading your perspective of the game. 

Originally posted by xzyax

See y'all in game!

Good luck, Mike.

As a long-time critic/skeptic as well and one who doesn't fall for Tasos' "Jedi mind tricks"; it will be interesting reading your perspective of the game. 

Heheh... Oh I'll still be critical, even as I'm playing it.

I don't believe that enjoying a game means you can't be critical of the people behind it, their decisions or actions, and I'm quite often outspoken when I don't like what a developer is doing.

I play and enjoy Lineage 2 immensely, but I rip into NCSoft regularly - and have done so on their own forums - for how they deal with - or rather, don't deal with - their botting/rmt problems. Thing is, I find Lineage 2 to be a very fun game, in spite of the botting, that's worth my money, so I play it.

FFXI is hands down my favorite MMO of all time, but I've been pretty vocal about some of the changes/additions they've made to the game in the past couple years which, to me, have derailed the game quite a bit.

I was equally vocal with Nevrax, the people originally behind Ryzom, when they made changes to that game early on that resulted in a mass exodus of players that they never recovered from. Fantastic MMO... but Nevrax made some pretty stupid decisions, which in my opinion, stunted that game's potential when it was hardly out of the gate.

And so forth...

DF has always looked and sounded - in concept - like a MMO I'd really enjoy. However, the "concepts" that drew me to it were missing from the game, and the shenanigans from Tasos and co. didn't help much, either. So, I kinda hung around and watched the train-wreck unfold. I am honestly surprised it's rebounded as much as it seems to have. Not that I wanted it to fail... I just was beginning to wonder how it could possibly succeed. But, hey... kudos to AV... they seem to be pulling it together where other companies in their position have fallen apart.

But anyway, yeah... no worries about me "going fanboy" or anything; it's not in my blood, for any game :-p, and I'm far too outspoken (sometimes to my own detriment).

Here's a quick little anecdote to demonstrate what I mean... Some years back, around 1993-ish when Compuserve and Prodigy were still pretty popular, and before the Web "took off", software developers like Epic and Apogee used Compuserve as a sort of "home base". Even back then, I couldn't stand over the top marketing and hyperbole.

At the time, Apogee was promoting a game called 'Hocus Pocus', a 2D side-scrolling platformer. What annoyed me was that they were marketing it as being "as good as, if not better than, anything on a console" - or something to that effect. Well, to me, it was way overboard as, having played it, I saw a lot of inconsistency in tile design - trees that had entire "chunks" missing, etc.. and it didn't play nearly as smoothly as I'd expect from a console. So... I went on Compuserve and reamed them out, publically, for exaggerating and putting out BS marketing; that the game wasn't nearly as good as they described it.

Now, at this point, I'd been accepted as a tester for Epic Mega Games, for a game they were putting out (some fantasy RTS/RPG hybrid if I remember right). Though Epic and Apogee were rivals, there was obviously a degree of professional respect there. Well, my public tirade against Apogee didn't go unnoticed by Epic people, and I was asked to publically apologize for it, or be removed from Epic's testing team. So... I publicly apologized lol. Scott Miller of Apogee responded saying that it was okay, he had a thick skin.

So yeah... quick little derail there... but I've always been a pain-in-the-ass with stuff like hyperbole and over-the-top marketing.

That said.. if this damn patch would finish, I could actually start playing! ><

• RydekRydek Member Posts: 35

I reallly want to try it, but its just a risk you know, a leap which im scared to take haha, normally id go for it but got xmas presesnts to get and saving for a new pc at the same time, So might after february when i should get my new pc, ill be 18 so woop haha :D 

But hopefully you will keep us up to date on everything so might help me on my purchase ect :D 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I don't believe that enjoying a game means you can't be critical of the people behind it, their decisions or actions, and I'm quite often outspoken when I don't like what a developer is doing.

I play and enjoy Lineage 2 immensely, but I rip into NCSoft regularly - and have done so on their own forums - for how they deal with - or rather, don't deal with - their botting/rmt problems. Thing is, I find Lineage 2 to be a very fun game, in spite of the botting, that's worth my money, so I play it.

FFXI is hands down my favorite MMO of all time, but I've been pretty vocal about some of the changes/additions they've made to the game in the past couple years which, to me, have derailed the game quite a bit.

I was equally vocal with Nevrax, the people originally behind Ryzom, when they made changes to that game early on that resulted in a mass exodus of players that they never recovered from. Fantastic MMO... but Nevrax made some pretty stupid decisions, which in my opinion, stunted that game's potential when it was hardly out of the gate.

And so forth...

DF has always looked and sounded - in concept - like a MMO I'd really enjoy. However, the "concepts" that drew me to it were missing from the game, and the shenanigans from Tasos and co. didn't help much, either. So, I kinda hung around and watched the train-wreck unfold. I am honestly surprised it's rebounded as much as it seems to have. Not that I wanted it to fail... I just was beginning to wonder how it could possibly succeed. But, hey... kudos to AV... they seem to be pulling it together where other companies in their position have fallen apart.
    But anyway, yeah... no worries about me "going fanboy" or anything; it's not in my blood, for any game :-p.

kind of like how when you buy a nice shirt that fits you well you complain that it was made by slave labor? is that the general idea here?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

And so forth...

But anyway, yeah... no worries about me "going fanboy" or anything; it's not in my blood, for any game :-p.

kind of like how when you buy a nice shirt that fits you well you complain that it was made by slave labor? is that the general idea here?

Errrr not quite. A game missing promoted and hyped features, a PR person with a big mouth... and slave labor don't quite fit in the same category in my opinion. They're not even comparable.

Incidentally, I would never knowingly buy a product that was made via slave labor. I would, however, buy a product from a company whose main spokesperson is a loud-mouth with a penchant for exaggeration.... so long as the game was worth the money to me :).

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I don't know Mike, I was thinking the same thing yet, checked out MO and found it to be more of the type of sandbox I wanted. Perhaps run once through that game before...the plunge.

Originally posted by trashkiller

so mike, what is your characters name in-game?
    did you change your opinion of AV yet or do you think they are still out to scam people?

No character yet; still 2.5 gigs left to download/patch, damn this internet connection. I'll provide the name as soon as it's created.

As for changing my opinion of AV... well, for one, I never thought nor claimed they were out to "scam" people, so please don't place me in that category :).  

Frankly, and in a very small nutshell, I saw Tasos as a guy with a very big mouth, going way overboard with hype and spin, trying to sell people on DF, and doing so in a very unprofessional way. I saw a portion of the fanbase, particularly around here, to remind me far too much of the community around Shadowbane... which was not a good thing for me. And I saw DF as a MMO that lacked many of the things at launch that got me interested in it in the first place.

However, behind all that, I saw a game that - if seen through to its fruition - could be a very fun game to play that I would certainly be interested in checking out. I've said for months and months, since well before it launched, that DF looked like a game that I'd like to play in concept. It was, again, the capability and demeanor of the people behind it that concerned me.

For whatever reason, at whatever point, something seems to have changed at AV. Tasos, while still a bit heavy-handed on the hyperbole, seems to have mellowed out and put his attitude in check. They seem to be finally getting around to more of what they'd said they wanted in the game all along. At least that's how I see it right now... I could be wrong.

Either way, I think DF is at a point now where I think it's worth giving a try. If I only get a month's time out of it but don't find it quite "there" yet to continue, no biggie. I can wait a bit longer and see how it progresses... so long as it continues to progress.

Again, I did the same thing with Lineage 2. Tried it in Beta and loved the ideas behind it... just couldn't fully enjoy the game. Tried it a few more times through Prelude and Chronicles 1 and 2, but it still wasn't quite there. Finally, at Chronicle 3, it was where I personally felt I could fully enjoy it, and so I continued playing, and do to this day.

Originally posted by seabeast

I don't know Mike, I was thinking the same thing yet, checked out MO and found it to be more of the type of sandbox I wanted. Perhaps run once through that game before...the plunge.

MO looks like a beautiful game... and I'm a huge fan of Unreal Tech in any form... Something about MO just isn't "hooking" me though.

Nothing wrong with MO. I'm not saying it "sucks" and I'm not bashing it. It might well be a fantastic MMO, and I'll probably check it out at some point. For now, though, I just find DF's setting and overall style to be more appealing to me.

I'm not "religious" when it comes to games. If a MMO looks fun to me, I'll check it out. I don't buy into the whole "If you play 'Game A' then you must bash 'Game B', and vice versa". There's simply no benefit to being that closed-minded, in my opinion.

did you change your opinion of AV yet or do you think they are still out to scam people?

No character yet; still 2.5 gigs left to download/patch, damn this internet connection. I'll provide the name as soon as it's created.

As for changing my opinion of AV... well, for one, I never thought nor claimed they were out to "scam" people, so please don't place me in that category :).  

Frankly, and in a very small nutshell, I saw Tasos as a guy with a very big mouth, going way overboard with hype and spin, trying to sell people on DF, and doing so in a very unprofessional way. I saw a portion of the fanbase, particularly around here, to remind me far too much of the community around Shadowbane... which was not a good thing for me. And I saw DF as a MMO that lacked many of the things at launch that got me interested in it in the first place.

However, behind all that, I saw a game that - if seen through to its fruition - could be a very fun game to play that I would certainly be interested in checking out. I've said for months and months, since well before it launched, that DF looked like a game that I'd like to play in concept. It was, again, the capability and demeanor of the people behind it that concerned me.

For whatever reason, at whatever point, something seems to have changed at AV. Tasos, while still a bit heavy-handed on the hyperbole, seems to have mellowed out and put his attitude in check. They seem to be finally getting around to more of what they'd said they wanted in the game all along. At least that's how I see it right now... I could be wrong.

Either way, I think DF is at a point now where I think it's worth giving a try. If I only get a month's time out of it but don't find it quite "there" yet to continue, no biggie. I can wait a bit longer and see how it progresses... so long as it continues to progress.

Again, I did the same thing with Lineage 2. Tried it in Beta and loved the ideas behind it... just couldn't fully enjoy the game. Tried it a few more times through Prelude and Chronicles 1 and 2, but it still wasn't quite there. Finally, at Chronicle 3, it was where I personally felt I could fully enjoy it, and so I continued playing, and do to this day.

sorry for being off topic but are there still asian gangs of farmers in L2?  I really liked the game as well but the asian gangs of farmers and the fact that they had exploits to avoid the consequences of murdering other players made me rage.  If Darkfall didn't exist I would prob be playing L2.

Yeah there's still adena farmers. But it's weird. They're so ingrained in Lineage 2 that, honestly, they're not really a problem - except when they're in an area you want to xp in. That might sound 'permissive' and I don't mean it to - I can't stand botting or RMT in any form as I think they both undermine the point of playing a game in the first place, and do both have an effect on others.

I think the reason you don't see them as often is because the game has gotten large enough and there's enough different activities and places to go now that you seldom cross paths with them anymore. I see them from time to time, but not *nearly* as often as I used to.

I remember standing in Dark Elven Village and just watching them... a swarm of identical dwarves with the same gear and same nonsense names, running in perfectly synchronized patterns from NPC to NPC, then warping back out to the Swamplands to farm 'til they filled up... etc. It was like watching an ant farm. Could see the same thing in the Dwarven Village. No idea where they are doing their thing now, but I haven't seen that kind of activity in a *long* time.

In all, I've just found that Lineage 2 remains highly playable and enjoyable even with their presence. I've geared up my main character and every one of my alts (about 4 characters in all) in the best gear for their grade/level, over-enchanted and all, and have never RMT'd a single coin of adena to do so. I just played the game and used the resources available to me to earn it. It shouldn't be at all "remarkable" to say you play a game without cheating, but it seems to be an increasingly alien concept to people these days, sadly. 

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

The highlighted parts are pretty much EXACTLY how I felt and currently feel about AV. I still have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about the massive amounts of overpromising and overhyping that started years before launch contiued well past launch when pretty much anyone could see that the game was obviously nowhere near what the promised it would be.

However I am willing to look past that as the overhype while certianly still there is dieing down and the company is obviously working very hard to actually make the game close to what it was intended to be. I look forward to hearing your opinions once you get into the game.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by xzyax

See y'all in game!

Good luck, Mike.

That's how I feel as well.  Thanks Mike for trying DF.  I respect your opinion highly and look forward to your feedback.