Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next "big" thing has already released

Comments

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

...and here I was hoping it was a thread about Farmville.

• BowjobsBowjobs Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Talin

Originally posted by -Zeno-

I want to say this here first, so 5 years from now when it actually happens, I can say I am the first person to say this.
    Darkfall is the next big thing. 
    In 5 years it will have multiple servers and 5+ million players.  The only thing that will hold this prediction back is if they do not release in Asia.  That is the key element to success.   Aion seems all the rage right now, but its still an EQ clone in the end.  Darkfall, however, has broken that mold and the developers have shown 110% commitment to their game.
    What other game can the above be said? 
    BTW - I was first!  See you in 5 years.

Best post I've read in a while. I didn't realize the OP was such a talented comedian.

lol.

It's never to late, less you play Darkfall ;).

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Where do these people come from? DF always has been and always will be a niche game. Personally I think Mortal Online will be better than DF, I ill even fathom a guess that when MO releases DF will be in serious trouble. Id be surprised if DF is still around in 5 years.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Games like Darkfall will never become huge in the West. Why? Because mmo players in the west will always flock to whats easy instead of a game that requires skill where you actualy have to work to achieve. Games like Eve, Darkfall and Fallen Earth will always be niche games.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Mannish

Games like Darkfall will never become huge in the West. Why? Because mmo players in the west will always flock to whats easy instead of a game that requires skill where you actualy have to work to achieve. Games like Eve, Darkfall and Fallen Earth will always be niche games.

Not bashing Darkfall or anything, but requiring skill is actually far different than working to achieve.

Working to achieve can be done by plain grinding mats with 1-2 buttons, 15h/day, that's not skillful, it just takes a lot of time.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

lol I love how pvp fans try to make themselves feel that they are better than other MMO'ers by saying such and such game requires skill, while everything else is easy. I hate to break it to you but DF is no more challenging than WoW, in any aspect that you so desire to choose.

The real reason games like DF are not more popular than they are is because the majority of people do not want to be ganked, grieved and zerged to death, day in and day out, by basement dwellers and little kids who get picked on at school.

Edit: not every pvp fan is like this but only a handfull of people can ruin an entire server. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze

Where do these people come from? DF always has been and always will be a niche game. Personally I think Mortal Online will be better than DF, I ill even fathom a guess that when MO releases DF will be in serious trouble. Id be surprised if DF is still around in 5 years.

I'm sorry, with the state that MO is in right now, gonna have to say pass.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

lol I love how pvp fans try to make themselves feel that they are better than other MMO'ers by saying such and such game requires skill, while everything else is easy. I hate to break it to you but DF is no more challenging than WoW, in any aspect that you so desire to choose.

The real reason games like DF are not more popular than they are is because the majority of people do not want to be ganked, grieved and zerged to death, day in and day out, by basement dwellers and little kids who get picked on at school.

It's pretty ridiculous to say that WoW and DarkFall require the same amount of focus and skill. I agree that there's skill involved with certain aspects of WoW, such as some arena PvP and high level heroic raiding, but I can shut off my brain when I'm playing WoW. If I were to play DF the same way I play WoW, I would be constantly getting jumped and losing my shit, and this is coming from a guild's main Pally Healer through Vanilla and MT from the start of BC. Levels of magnitude separate the two games when referring to the amount of focus and skill it takes to play succesfully.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Edit: not every pvp fan is like this but only a handfull of people can ruin an entire server. 

There have been many times where I have walked away from the computer killing a mob in WoW. On my Warrior, I even made a drink while tanking a dungeon boss, once.

There have been a couple times that I have told someone to "Just keep pressing this key" while in a Raid so I could use the bathroom. (mage) 

Skill is relative, but DF is much more challenging than WoW and that's just one of many many examples.... and I've only played DF for a couple days. You can't miss in WoW, but you sure as hell can miss in DF.

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

It's pretty ridiculous to say that WoW and DarkFall require the same amount of focus and skill. I agree that there's skill involved with certain aspects of WoW, such as some arena PvP and high level heroic raiding, but I can shut off my brain when I'm playing WoW. If I were to play DF the same way I play WoW, I would be constantly getting jumped and losing my shit, and this is coming from a guild's main Pally Healer through Vanilla and MT from the start of BC. Levels of magnitude separate the two games.

Agreed.

• mrmelonimrmeloni Member UncommonPosts: 236

I want to say this here first, so 5 years from now when it actually happens, I can say I am the first person to say this.
    In 5 years it will have multiple servers and 5+ million players.  The only thing that will hold this prediction back is if they do not release in Asia.  That is the key element to success.   Aion seems all the rage right now, but its still an EQ clone in the end.  Darkfall, however, has broken that mold and the developers have shown 110% commitment to their game.

Erm, Aion is all the rage? Aion is dead, shows how much you know.

Also, the next big thing in 5 years time will be Blizzards new mmo, you'd have to be stupid not to believe it.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

You really don't understand the online gaming market, do you?

Any game with 5+ million subscriptions will not include the gameplay that Darkfall touts (ie. full loot, massive penalty, pvp)

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I'm hoping the next big thing will be TERA Online.  At least graphically, it looks next-gen.  And, from what I've read, it's going to be a "free-lock" gameplay mechanics.  Meaning that you'll have to manually aim your cursor at the enemies, as opposed to most current mmo's out that with and "auto-lock" on mobs (wether hard or soft-locking).

In a way it reminds me of Hellgate's gameplay as that was also "free-lock" mechanics.  Tbh, I'm sort of tired of mmo's that you click tab, or point and click to attack mobs.  Its just not as exciting as manually aiming for your targets yourself.

To note Borderlands is a nice step to the next big thing, only they need to make is more mmo-like, and have graphical player hub/areas where all the gamers can make in-game, as apposed to using gamespy and going up and down a list if party selections.

Originally posted by hidden1

And, from what I've read, it's going to be a "free-lock" gameplay mechanics.  Meaning that you'll have to manually aim your cursor at the enemies, as opposed to most current mmo's out that with and "auto-lock" on mobs (wether hard or soft-locking).
    In a way it reminds me of Hellgate's gameplay as that was also "free-lock" mechanics.  Tbh, I'm sort of tired of mmo's that you click tab, or point and click to attack mobs.  Its just not as exciting as manually aiming for your targets yourself.

Like Darkfall, Fallen Earth, MO, and probably a couple others I'm missing? lol

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by TheHatter

And, from what I've read, it's going to be a "free-lock" gameplay mechanics.  Meaning that you'll have to manually aim your cursor at the enemies, as opposed to most current mmo's out that with and "auto-lock" on mobs (wether hard or soft-locking).

Will be the first non sandbox that will be hack and slash and tera will have also a dodge feature which the others don't have.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Will be the first non sandbox that will be hack and slash and tera will have also a dodge feature which the others don't have.

Darkfall has Parry and Block, which must be manually activated.They are skills too, but everything in DF is a skill. lol Including walking. You can also dodge arrows and magic if you see them coming.

Fallen Earth has Dodge as a passive skill.

What's "Dodge"?

Darkfall has Parry and Block, which must be manually activated.They are skills too, but everything in DF is a skill. lol Including walking.

What's "Dodge"?

It should be self explained well there's a button that you can use to dodge attacks. There's the pvp video of tera if you seen it, different classes/races have different dodge type like for example the dual sword class (or it's from the race) makes a backflip.

Darkfall has Parry and Block, which must be manually activated.They are skills too, but everything in DF is a skill. lol Including walking.

What's "Dodge"?

It should be self explained well there's a button that you can use to dodge attacks. There's the pvp video of tera if you seen it, different classes/races have different dodge type like for example the dual sword class (or it's from the race) makes a backflip.

Ah, so it's just like Parry with better animations. :-D

I like how I can actually dodge strikes coming by moving.

Ah, so it's just like Parry with better animations. :-D

I like how I can actually dodge strikes coming by moving.

Haven't tried it yet (Hope I can try the korean open beta :D) but probably you can block/parry and such if you have a shield it's just that there's so low information we can't be sure on everything but the dodge is shown in videos so I'm sure of it :P

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Darkfall is by far much to much niche.

SWTOR could be big...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by MannyMana

Seriously OP? lol
    1 - Sandbox or in the case of darkfall wannabe sandbox are not what everyone wants you can see from the subs of the sandbox games out with the other pve/pvp mmorpgs.
    Alot of more popular mmorpgs out there attract people who are not commonly gamers. The population of gamers will increase and over time they will develop to more mature tastes. Kids will have to grow up eventually.
    2 - Darkfall 90% of the time your playing in FPV, battles look like unreal tournament but has magic and improvements in stats similar to runescape imo.
    There is nothing wrong with this
    3 - There's no dungeons and bosses that drop good loots that is not craftable that many like you can see why wow is that much popular.
    Content can always be added later.
    4 - It's a PVP game with little PVE and pve games with added pvp are more popular for the audience.
    Player interactions are always more entertaining and rewarding than with an AI
    5 - Full loot will never be the next gen for the whole mmos maybe for the pvp sandbox games but surely not for the rpgs one.
    A majority of all classic pen and paper games and original mmos had some form of player looting (if not full). It adds to the risk/reward system and gives items a certain tangibility that is otherwise not present in other games.
    Enough points to show it will never be the next big thing?

You assume that just because the majority of players right now are playing WoW (and other clones) that nobody ever has any interest in games with more depth and slightly higher learning curve and difficulty.
    I can guarantee you that most people out there are hopping from one mmorpg after the next not because they are looking for another clone (Might as well just keep playing WoW for that). Most people don't even know what they want. The sheep follow what is most addicting by principle but after the end-game is achieved and they sit on top of all the grind they did they will crave something more rewarding than high levels and epic loot.
    From my point as a player with more than 10 MMORPG games under my belt I have grown tired of level grinding and all forms redundant quest-taking. I will probably be resubbing to DF very soon and seeing if they fixed their initial problems with content and balancing.

This is viral marketing at is worst.

You are saying the gamer community will expand, change, mature and look for more.  Yes.  Granted that.  That is actually wrong, if you understand what demographical tree is.

Now assuming they do ask for more, that does not equate to DF.  The folly of all those DF champions is pretending that DF is the holy grail answer to every ill in MMO now.  If you do not want to grind play DF (where you grind everything from ore to crafting to skills).  If you do not want quest based games play DF (in which there is no quests b/c the game need to remove mobs to make way for players, how can there be quests, when NPCs are being removed).  If you do not want normal PvP, play DF (where you cheat and hack to PvP).

Come on, I may have a lot of grumbles with EvE, with WoW with just about any game, but do I need to look at a game in which 300k loyal fans have examined for 8 years and only 3k decide to log on every day to play?  Among the 100+ games out there, do I need to look at DF?  DF should be evaluated as an option out of 100+, and in that perspective DF fades into obliviation.  To me, DF is just a small scale experiment, which by now is still not yet mature.  Pitching it against the successful stories in the industry will only expose the severe crippling state of being it is in.  Keep it at its right perspective, DF belong to the batch of games in which you still have to try to fill up one server.  In 5 years maybe it will stay alive and grow.  But I am not playing a game hoping that it will one day makes gaming sense.  I am not going to eat junk food from a shop for 5 years hoping that eventually the chef figure out how to make a dish.

Yes constantly yelling DF here makes it a good game, as it constantly moaning outside a girls apartment will make her love you.  Keep trying.

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219

Isn't DFO just a remake of Shadowbane?

Originally posted by TheDarzin

Isn't DFO just a remake of Shadowbane?

You mean remaking a game playstyle, or remaking of history?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is no chance whatsoever that DF will be the next big game. There are several reasons for that but the game is not aimed for the main group of MMO players.

DF was never made to be the next big game either. It might grow a lot (meaning max 200K players) or get killed by MO or something else, only time can tell that but if you see 5 million Wow players go over to Df you probably need glasses.

Wow was made to please all kinds of players, it also have a polish only Guildwars can compete with, an easy to use interface and a fast learning curve. That doesn't mean that Wow is a better game or anything but it does mean that anyone can play Wow. 

I don't see the PvE crowd playing DF at all, it isn't made for them. And the PvE crowd is over half the MMO players. The full loot turns of the casual PvPers also.

I wish all the luck to Df and any other game that differs from the rest of the EQ clones but I don't see how DF could ever get more than 200K players. The next big game will probably be GW2, or possibly TOR or Blizzards next game.

Originally posted by Loke666

There is no chance whatsoever that DF will be the next big game. There are several reasons for that but the game is not aimed for the main group of MMO players.
    DF was never made to be the next big game either. It might grow a lot (meaning max 200K players) or get killed by MO or something else, only time can tell that but if you see 5 million Wow players go over to Df you probably need glasses.
    Wow was made to please all kinds of players, it also have a polish only Guildwars can compete with, an easy to use interface and a fast learning curve. That doesn't mean that Wow is a better game or anything but it does mean that anyone can play Wow. 
    I don't see the PvE crowd playing DF at all, it isn't made for them. And the PvE crowd is over half the MMO players. The full loot turns of the casual PvPers also.
    I wish all the luck to Df and any other game that differs from the rest of the EQ clones but I don't see how DF could ever get more than 200K players. The next big game will probably be GW2, or possibly TOR or Blizzards next game.

And DF need not be 5m sub to be big.

One of the biggest naval general in history is a Korean who sunk an invading Japanese amarda.  Frankly that is just small skirmish in scale relative to midway or whatever, but in its own context, that is a great naval encounter.

200k or 30k, if DF delivers a game that serves it clients, that is good enough.  Not every software house has to be Microsoft and there is scope for only 1 or 2 Microsoft at any time in history.