Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who wants a stone age/ caveman mmorpg??

SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

I do! Whos with me?

Comments

  • garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

    I actually think this would be really cool!!

     

    I am in!

     :p 
  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

    I've actually thought of this before, it would be pretty cool.

     

    Except, why stop at a caveman MMORPG? Why couldn't you do A Tale in the Desertish type game, to where the world advances? Of course, add in traditional MMORPG aspects to compliment it and to bring a more realism feeling to it.

    It would require multiple servers starting at different times, because it would have to give everyone somewhat of the ability to start from the beginning.

     

    What I thought of was a global crafting system. How it would work is that all the crafters would have the ability to make something that hasn't been made yet. The chance of making it would be really low and usually end up in a failed attempt and a pile of salvagable rubble. But, say if one has never been made, then the chances of making the item are 100,000 : 1. But once 1 person makes it, that person's ability to make it lowers drastically to 100 : 1 and everyone else in the world's ability to make it lowers to 1000 : 1.

    It would start out in the stone age, where people have to create fire and the wheel. It could have the possibility to work all the way up to the space age.... but what I think the beauty of it is, that say you have a guy who likes to create armors..... and he's the best one at it and very very dedicated. You could get all the way up to the days of the Roman Empire, where everyone is wearing very advanced armor, but nobody has created good weapons! So, everyone is running around with sticks trying to kill stuff.

     

    That's just kind of the jist of my idea anyway. The only problem with it is that it would be a MASSIVE project and would inevitally be a pretty small Indy game. Meh. The world sucks. Maybe once WoW dies we'll get a huge influx of players into the MMO market that unique games have the ability to get large enough sub numbers to justify some investment into them. As it stands now, it's not going to happen. :(

  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member Posts: 3,988

    Ryzom is the closest mmo i've seen to such a setting.

    Though their are a few sci-fi influnces with the whole Karavan and their space ships.

  • CeridithCeridith Member CommonPosts: 2,980

    Sounds interesting, but I get the feeling that the crafting system would be extremely lacking. 

  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

    Well it wouldn't be gear based thats for sure. The leveling curve would take generations.

    However, would be a good fit for the 'hardcore' pvp mentality.

     

  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    I've actually thought of this before, it would be pretty cool.
     
    Except, why stop at a caveman MMORPG? Why couldn't you do A Tale in the Desertish type game, to where the world advances? Of course, add in traditional MMORPG aspects to compliment it and to bring a more realism feeling to it.
    It would require multiple servers starting at different times, because it would have to give everyone somewhat of the ability to start from the beginning.
     
    What I thought of was a global crafting system. How it would work is that all the crafters would have the ability to make something that hasn't been made yet. The chance of making it would be really low and usually end up in a failed attempt and a pile of salvagable rubble. But, say if one has never been made, then the chances of making the item are 100,000 : 1. But once 1 person makes it, that person's ability to make it lowers drastically to 100 : 1 and everyone else in the world's ability to make it lowers to 1000 : 1.
    It would start out in the stone age, where people have to create fire and the wheel. It could have the possibility to work all the way up to the space age.... but what I think the beauty of it is, that say you have a guy who likes to create armors..... and he's the best one at it and very very dedicated. You could get all the way up to the days of the Roman Empire, where everyone is wearing very advanced armor, but nobody has created good weapons! So, everyone is running around with sticks trying to kill stuff.
     
    That's just kind of the jist of my idea anyway. The only problem with it is that it would be a MASSIVE project and would inevitally be a pretty small Indy game. Meh. The world sucks. Maybe once WoW dies we'll get a huge influx of players into the MMO market that unique games have the ability to get large enough sub numbers to justify some investment into them. As it stands now, it's not going to happen. :(

     

    This. A thousand times over, this. How awesome would it be to have the (game equivalent of) Roman Legions wearing the armor which you created and designed? Or hell, even in simpler times, using the axes or other tools which you developed through hours of dedicated crafting and experimentation to make their lives easier?

    I hate PvP, but in a game like this, I'd welcome it. Players could form tribes/empires and fight over land/resources/technology in a meaningful way. Jealous of a tribe's shiny new iron swords? Well, instead of waiting for your own tribe to replicate it, go hunt down a few of them and bring back a sample for the crafters to work with, shortening the 'breakthrough' time. Of course, you'd still need to learn how to look for and mine iron...

    Let's hope some aspiring developers spot this post and make such a thing a reality.

  • Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74

    Some good ideas here.  ATITD is cool to play once in a while but the graphics are just, well bad, and i know graphics arent everything, but they are "something".

    I'd welcome a MMO where the world starts low and progresses.  Let's just hope SOE doesn't come across this thread.  Heres to knocking on wood!

    image

  • paulkaidpaulkaid Member UncommonPosts: 12

    sounds cool

  • KithcaKithca Member Posts: 118

    As long as someone doesn't drag me back to their cave by my hair, I'd give it a whirl.

  • RaeturusRaeturus Member Posts: 16

    Humm pretty good idea.

    Concepts:

    Needs lvling system.

    Types of interactions.. pvp and pve options.

    Life styles: some primative, some more advanced (caves, villages, temples) (type of villages, water fronts, flatland, tree housing.. all depending on tribal location to housing styles)

    Large world map for exploration and dangerous incounters.

    Learning basics:  hunters, craftmen,  healers, shamans... animal tamers.. cooks.. etc

    Mind set of primative thinking as to visual experiences, magical formats as well.

    Creature types: Prehistoric, mythical, created types

    Yes, could be made into something exciting and different with a lot of forethought and research.

  • metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

    Im down with anything that gives people more gameplay options in our genre.

    Variety is a good thing.

     

    Heh a caveman MMO, My endgame would be the ability to make fire and the wheel LOL!

    PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

    Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

  • simshadysimshady Member Posts: 13

    Instead of XP you could have brain capacity growth as you learned crafting or creating things.....a 'eureka' moment so to speak.

  • Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128

    I DO! 

    I always looked forward to the stone age mod for Mount&Blade but it never came out :(

  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,411

    ATitD with combat and caveman themed.

    If done properly i'd pay to play something like that.

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • Predator160Predator160 Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    I've actually thought of this before, it would be pretty cool.
     
    Except, why stop at a caveman MMORPG? Why couldn't you do A Tale in the Desertish type game, to where the world advances? Of course, add in traditional MMORPG aspects to compliment it and to bring a more realism feeling to it.
    It would require multiple servers starting at different times, because it would have to give everyone somewhat of the ability to start from the beginning.
     
    What I thought of was a global crafting system. How it would work is that all the crafters would have the ability to make something that hasn't been made yet. The chance of making it would be really low and usually end up in a failed attempt and a pile of salvagable rubble. But, say if one has never been made, then the chances of making the item are 100,000 : 1. But once 1 person makes it, that person's ability to make it lowers drastically to 100 : 1 and everyone else in the world's ability to make it lowers to 1000 : 1.
    It would start out in the stone age, where people have to create fire and the wheel. It could have the possibility to work all the way up to the space age.... but what I think the beauty of it is, that say you have a guy who likes to create armors..... and he's the best one at it and very very dedicated. You could get all the way up to the days of the Roman Empire, where everyone is wearing very advanced armor, but nobody has created good weapons! So, everyone is running around with sticks trying to kill stuff.
     
    That's just kind of the jist of my idea anyway. The only problem with it is that it would be a MASSIVE project and would inevitally be a pretty small Indy game. Meh. The world sucks. Maybe once WoW dies we'll get a huge influx of players into the MMO market that unique games have the ability to get large enough sub numbers to justify some investment into them. As it stands now, it's not going to happen. :(

    That sounds awesome...but you need more elements then just a crafting idea. But I would def play this MMO if it came out.

  • RaeturusRaeturus Member Posts: 16

    To add more:

    Of course Tribal warfare.. has to be something the other tribe wants..  (besides the woman heh)

    Then there is the plain ol nomadic tribes which move with the herds ..vs the stationary tribes

    Clothing could be cool to craft..first you have to have hunter's hunt for hides, or gather certain woods and grasses to beat down into fibers. Think Mammoth wear or sabertooth tiger .. big wooly cloaks -- even sabertooth helms ..  And who says frogs have to be small..can have giant ones heh!

    Hunting cant be easy especially with giant creatures unpredictably lurking about

    Then they discover dyes and how to make them..besides using soot from the fires or their own blood from wounds..

    Healers and/or shamns could practice simple medicines..along with magical rites.. learn how to create the medicines..by again gathering certain plants.. but be careful experimentation can be deadly.   :)

    Weapons made from rocks, bone, nets, spears,  --  have to get real creative on weapon ideas to fight T-Rexes (mountain terrain would come in handy here heh)

    As far as world landscape:  colder region and warmer ones -- swampy and volcanic

    Definitely need weather graphics.. art work for the game as real as possible.. beautiful landscapes...

    No overbite awkwardly shaped creatures with mouths agapped --  both creature and character creation  should be acceptable and/or pleasing to the eyes.

    Anyway just a few more ideas to give the game some breath.

  • TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

    Wow. Thanks guys. I didn't think that other people would like the idea as much as I do. I've thought about it for years, even did a few design concepts on paper when I had some downtime going over seas. Just for fun, cause I needed an outlet for my creativity that's discouraged in military life.

    Heh, just for fun. Maybe I'll do a full summary in the Design Concepts forum here after this week's tests. Raeturus, seems to have a really good idea of where I was going with it. Almost everything he's said I've thought of before and if you look at his posts, it kinda gives you a better idea of how massive it would really have to be to be playable. There really is no middle ground. Massively Huge or unplayable.

    I also thought of a way to have Permadeath work into the system. It wouldn't be the traditional thought of permadeath, as you die you die die, but more of an Aging system where you have children. When you get old enough to pass away, you pass over into your son/daughter. Each character would have a max (pretty high of course) of skills they could achieve. But, when the player passes over to their child, their child receives not ALL of the skills you have gain, but 75% of them. Which, if done right, wouldn't be too bad of a loss actually. But, the child does get a boost in their max skills, starting from where your skills began with an ABSOLUTE maximum relative to the age the world has advanced to. If you think about it, this system also is alot like EVE's real time skill train system mixed with a traditional mmo skill train system. Except of course, there would be world triggers that would have each age cut into X pieces and a new player would start relative to the age they are in. The old players would still be much better, but not to the point where newer players can never catch up to the same.

  • FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Kithca


    As long as someone doesn't drag me back to their cave by my hair, I'd give it a whirl.



     

    Cave is optional.

  • FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    Wow. Thanks guys. I didn't think that other people would like the idea as much as I do. I've thought about it for years, even did a few design concepts on paper when I had some downtime going over seas. Just for fun, cause I needed an outlet for my creativity that's discouraged in military life.
    Heh, just for fun. Maybe I'll do a full summary in the Design Concepts forum here after this week's tests. Raeturus, seems to have a really good idea of where I was going with it. Almost everything he's said I've thought of before and if you look at his posts, it kinda gives you a better idea of how massive it would really have to be to be playable. There really is no middle ground. Massively Huge or unplayable.
    I also thought of a way to have Permadeath work into the system. It wouldn't be the traditional thought of permadeath, as you die you die die, but more of an Aging system where you have children. When you get old enough to pass away, you pass over into your son/daughter. Each character would have a max (pretty high of course) of skills they could achieve. But, when the player passes over to their child, their child receives not ALL of the skills you have gain, but 75% of them. Which, if done right, wouldn't be too bad of a loss actually. But, the child does get a boost in their max skills, starting from where your skills began with an ABSOLUTE maximum relative to the age the world has advanced to. If you think about it, this system also is alot like EVE's real time skill train system mixed with a traditional mmo skill train system. Except of course, there would be world triggers that would have each age cut into X pieces and a new player would start relative to the age they are in. The old players would still be much better, but not to the point where newer players can never catch up to the same.



     

    The death system would be a remaking of the remorting from the days of muds.  I support it.

  • Burngrass99Burngrass99 Member Posts: 45

    So how was it?

  • RaeturusRaeturus Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by TheHatter


    Wow. Thanks guys. I didn't think that other people would like the idea as much as I do. I've thought about it for years, even did a few design concepts on paper when I had some downtime going over seas. Just for fun, cause I needed an outlet for my creativity that's discouraged in military life.
    Heh, just for fun. Maybe I'll do a full summary in the Design Concepts forum here after this week's tests. Raeturus, seems to have a really good idea of where I was going with it. Almost everything he's said I've thought of before and if you look at his posts, it kinda gives you a better idea of how massive it would really have to be to be playable. There really is no middle ground. Massively Huge or unplayable.
    I also thought of a way to have Permadeath work into the system. It wouldn't be the traditional thought of permadeath, as you die you die die, but more of an Aging system where you have children. When you get old enough to pass away, you pass over into your son/daughter. Each character would have a max (pretty high of course) of skills they could achieve. But, when the player passes over to their child, their child receives not ALL of the skills you have gain, but 75% of them. Which, if done right, wouldn't be too bad of a loss actually. But, the child does get a boost in their max skills, starting from where your skills began with an ABSOLUTE maximum relative to the age the world has advanced to. If you think about it, this system also is alot like EVE's real time skill train system mixed with a traditional mmo skill train system. Except of course, there would be world triggers that would have each age cut into X pieces and a new player would start relative to the age they are in. The old players would still be much better, but not to the point where newer players can never catch up to the same.



     

    Yeah Hatter run with the idea.. let it grow.  Think about where other companies went wrong.  And how they went wrong..even in beta or on into a couple years of live play and try to avoid the same pit falls.   Ex: SWG was on a climb until they tore the guts out of an orginally different game..one that was different than all others.  Don't get me wrong SWG is still a great game but they lost alot of clients because they revamped the players characters on too large a scale. Ouch!  And most ran off to play wow or eq2 after that.  Anyways..run with this and I hope you do..make it different because many games just mirror the next one.  And one more word of advise..don't sell out..and/or if you merge weigh that very carefully first.. 

    Good Luck Hatter and stay safe

    Your one of our boys! :)

  • bigdaddysfebigdaddysfe Member Posts: 89

    I think we are forgetting about the awesome Stone Age and Stone Age 2 in this conversation.

     

    :(

  • GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

    After playing stone age 2, I can't really speak on how awesome it is. I like turn-based RPGs, just not multiplayer ones, for what *should* be the obvious reasons. As for a caveman MMO, I would die happy if Monster Hunter made a debut as an action-MMO.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Sign In or Register to comment.