Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for those who never played Pre-CU SWG...

kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

With all the publicity over the years about Pre-CU SWG and all the ranting and raving of Pre-Vets(granted, i'm one of them), what would be your interest in trying it, if it  were offered today?

Bare in mind, this is a question posed towards those that have read about the game that was but never played.

How many folks would be willing to try the game out just based on what they have read?

Comments

• VanpryVanpry Member Posts: 152

I would of like to give it a try.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

I started about 2 weeks after release:

If they 1) went back to Pre-NGE, and 2) took away Jedi, or 3) allowed Bounty Hunters to hunt Jedi via player driven contracts and game driven contracts, I would re-sub in a heartbeat

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Samkin772

If they 1) went back to Pre-NGE, and 2) took away Jedi, or 3) allowed Bounty Hunters to hunt Jedi via player driven contracts and game driven contracts, I would re-sub in a heartbeat

What he said.  Can't put it any better then that.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Eh, I would have tried it. In fact, I did. It just didn't captivate me. Star Wars just never was a universe I could roleplay in.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Originally posted by Illius

Originally posted by Samkin772

What he said.  Can't put it any better then that.

/SIGNED!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I definitely would, being a sandbox lover i believe its a must have to played that game.

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

I missed out on the opportunity to play Pre-CU SWG, and from everything I've heard I am almost glad I did not.  I would probably be even more bitterly jaded by SoE then I already am (Planetside refugee from years ago).

Edit: Forgot to actually answer the question, lol.

Yes I would try it today if it was the same or very similar game that was offered.  And this is coming from someone who was never really a Star Wars fan.

• CortechsCortechs Member Posts: 40

Hmm, hard to say.  I was in the beta and was so turned off by the combat that I never touched the game after release.  I still cannot fathom how so many people played that game. 

They must have made some big improvements to the combat system just after release, cause it was really not in very good shape even near the end of beta.

Anyway, the themepark side really tempts me but the shallow combat turns me off.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

I really wish I could play SWG before SOE apperantly messed it up, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by kb056

With all the publicity over the years about Pre-CU SWG and all the ranting and raving of Pre-Vets(granted, i'm one of them), what would be your interest in trying it, if it  were offered today?

If it were F2P, i'd try it.

If it's P2P, I'd rather wait for SWToR (being a bioware fan)

But I'd love to see new games that stop the copy-wow-ritual and add more sandbox and freeplay features.

Although I need some themepark elements in my games as well, tbh - at least in the beginning xP

Hype train -> Reality

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

I'd give it a try.

I think it's been so hyped up, that there's no way I'd think it was good because the game could never meet the hype.

Nostalgia is a bitch.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• NebirothNebiroth Member UncommonPosts: 21

This game isnt bad atm. Many people even think of because of the rich content is better than the sometimes preCU. In SWG play almost 5 years (with minor interruptions) so I have a sophisticated view of this position. In fact, you can even give feedback to the initial NGE suck max but now it is really worth to give this game a chance again.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

Originally posted by uquipu
    I'd give it a try.I think it's been so hyped up, that there's no way I'd think it was good because the game could never meet the hype.Nostalgia is a bitch.

I don't think it's been hyped to such a degree. From what I've experienced, 99.9% of the precu vets would regurgitate a list of problems they had with precu whenever the opportunity arose. The vet forums have plenty of evidence of this.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

I love having content and things to do but the problem is most of it feels cheap. I wish they had quality content going into the game like Blizzard puts into WoW. However it all feels rushed and has no story to it. Just feels like they've tried to cram anything star wars into the game, no matter what time period it is from.

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Only good thing that came out of SWG for me was selling my account for close to 2300 dollars. I had no interest in unlocking a Jedi, I was a content junkie and I wanted to see it all. I accidentally stumbled onto the Jedi unlock prior to common knowledge about the exact process to unlock. When I hit Master Brawler, booyah, the music played and...well....lets just say it was gaming bliss for a long moment (yes, I replaced that chair). I unlocked the day after the first reported unlocker, so I'm unsure exactly what number I was. Unfortunately, combat in full composite gear and perma death lingering over a broken skill tree led me to shelve the character for a couple months, then sell it.

As for the OP's question, I would love if it could go back to pre CU status. I started another account and played up through JTLS, then when the CU was released, the game was just too different. I don't want to go too far back, because at release the Commando was completely broken, Bounty Hunter tools were useless, there were no vehicles, no space and harvestors went missing regularly with their precious ores still trapped inside. Tatooine was like the monster in the dryer that eats your socks. I would have liked to have seen PvP servers, we had a pretty active PvP base when I was on Ahazi.

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

I'd definitely give it a shot.  I've heard so many things from posters and friends that I feel like I'd be depriving myself of a great experience if I didn't.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Right now, if enough people were playing it, I'd probably give it a shot because Im bored to hell.

Listening to my friend recant old memories of SWG-PreCU, I'd play it in a heartbeat.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Some what confused.

I aimed this thread at those who have NOT played SWG before, to gauge what NONE Swg players think, and yet, it gets moved to the General Forum for SWG?

I meant for this thread to be for those who DID NOT play SWG previously, therefore, those who tend NOT frequent the SWG forums...

Put this thread back where it belongs, please.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Some what confused.
    I aimed this thread at those who have NOT played SWG before, to gauge what NONE Swg players think, and yet, it gets moved to the General Forum for SWG?
    I meant for this thread to be for those who DID NOT play SWG previously, therefore, those who tend NOT frequent the SWG forums...

Dear Lord forgive me for what I am about to do... for I am about to to defend the mods here at mmorpg.com for moving this thread here. The title of this thread is addressing "those who never played Pre-CU SWG", emphasis on the Pre-CU bit. I firmly believe most of those who currently play SWG have infact NOT played Pre-CU, and so since this forum is technically geared towards them, I can see how the mods might think this was an appropriate move.

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me might suspect the mods are trying to divert your thread away from any mainstream attention it might garner by leaving it in the general any game forum.

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Some what confused.

Dear Lord forgive me for what I am about to do... for I am about to to defend the mods here at mmorpg.com for moving this thread here. The title of this thread is addressing "those who never played Pre-CU SWG", emphasis on the Pre-CU bit. I firmly believe most of those who currently play SWG have infact NOT played Pre-CU, and so since this forum is technically geared towards them, I can see how the mods might think this was an appropriate move.

Of course, the conspiracy theorist in me might suspect the mods are trying to divert your thread away from any mainstream attention it might garner by leaving it in the general any game forum.

have the same view and did not suspect any of the moderators of disparaging

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104

www.rocklynn.se

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by InjaSam

Well for those who want to try,,,
    http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/players/content.vm?id=62963

Try reading the OP. He's not talking about the current version of "SWG".

• kcypher2000kcypher2000 Member Posts: 116

I got two friends to try it and enjoyed it for a while but the game still lacks polish.  I have played since launch but i am not blind and foolish enough to not recognize how broken pre-cu SWG really was.  Seriously do you guys remember the FOTM class problems compared to the utterly gimped and useless classes.  Game play consisted of waiting in line at starports to get a massive buff so you can grind the same kill X monster missions over and over again. 

Lets not even bring up the hologrind and how ridiculous that was.  Pre-cu SWG was horrible!  It was like 7 or so years ago!  Get over it!

Btw the game is still pretty dull so i quit after a month again but dull is better than broken.  Flame away.

Originally posted by kcypher2000

I got two friends to try it and enjoyed it for a while but the game still lacks polish.  I have played since launch but i am not blind and foolish enough to not recognize how broken pre-cu SWG really was.  Seriously do you guys remember the FOTM class problems compared to the utterly gimped and useless classes.  Game play consisted of waiting in line at starports to get a massive buff so you can grind the same kill X monster missions over and over again. 
    Lets not even bring up the hologrind and how ridiculous that was.  Pre-cu SWG was horrible!  It was like 7 or so years ago!  Get over it!

Btw the game is still pretty dull so i quit after a month again but dull is better than broken.  Flame away.

True, true and true again :)

• korpsce24korpsce24 Member Posts: 61

Bare in mind, this is a question posed towards those that have read about the game that was but never played.

How many folks would be willing to try the game out just based on what they have read?

This is the only part of the thread I've read. But with all the positive praise I've seen for the game, I would try it, in it's Pre-CU state. A shame that I can't, they would probably earn my sub with what I've heard about it.