Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great graphics and all...but

loooordloooord Member Posts: 19
Not only do I not know how this game will play like, gameplay wise, I hate the fact that your character can die after playing a certain amount of hours... I'll never play it just because of this, this is just me, I know others may think otherwise.

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437
    Then sign up for the Dark and Light beta. Same style of gameplay, same type of graphics, no perma death. Whatever works for you.

Played: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside

• popononpoponon Member Posts: 22

I signed up and I got the e-mail and all, but how exactly do you download mourning and start to play just wondering::::20::

• CeronimCeronim Member Posts: 12

Perma-Death isn't that bad!

Your Char will be PvP-able after 50h playing and will die after 500h (not 100% sure)

thats 3 months normally :) You can create your bloodline and many other nice things!

It'will be greate

Admin of the german Mourning-Fansite
    Mourning-World

• EnergizeEnergize Member Posts: 35
    There are a lot of good things for example you can still keep items that your other chars had. Also you learn abilitys faster and will have the same fame level.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    It isn't so much of a perma death system as it is something new.  when your character finally does die it isn't like game over time to throw in the towel.  Your name lives on in you child and that is what is important in mourning, your legacy.  Eventually you build up enough fame through the bloodlines system there is a possiblity of becoming a "hero".  There is more to it than just dieing for good and rerolling.

• xDraakanxxDraakanx Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by poponon

I signed up and I got the e-mail and all, but how exactly do you download mourning and start to play just wondering::::20::

The open beta didn´t started yet. You get your code and when the open beta starts, you get an email and a link to download the files.

Three can save a secret as long two of them are dead.

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

Three can hide a secret as long two of them are dead.

-= Benjamin Franklin =-

Channel Manager www.gamesdynamite.de

• zigamirezigamire Member Posts: 5

I agree.  Permadeath is a killer for me too.  And, I'll give you my reason.  When I level my character up/ make it better, stronger, more able to leap a tall building in a single bound, is because I want to be able to take on bigger and badder MOB's/Players.   If my player dies, its like I am stuck reading chapter 1 over and over again.  Catch my drift?

A better way to circumnavigate/compramise is being able to class change.  For instance a game could be made whereby if a peep wants to become a Pally one would first have to attain a certain level as a warrior, then switch into being a druid, attain a certain level, then be able to claim Pally(ship).  That, by the way, is closer to real DnD.

This permadeath, though a different take on it, is for the birds.  There is a good reason why some ideas have NOT been implemented. 

I'll give ya another reason.  I am a longtime veteran of EQ1.  Even though I am a guy, and started playing the game with another RL guy friend, we decided to create female players.  Well, then we decided we may as well be the sexiest race (woodelves).  My friend did not RP his female character as much as I did.  He chose the name Treena.  Since we were to be twins I chose the name Zeena.  I RP'ed my female :)  At level 20 I became Zeena Maidenform.  Yes, from that "maidenform woman" magazine add for bras.  I then started auctioning; "Cupcakes!  Get your Cupcakes!"  Whenever I got a customer I would 'show them my wares'.  [Look for my latest book entitled "How To Be Dirty In a G Rated Game, and get away with it"]  I went skinny dipping, lap dancing, the works.  I had fun with Zeena.  Suppose EQ then decided that Zeena must die?

Players get attached to their characters.  They developed their characters.  They are immersed with their characters.  After they have invested all that time to create their characters, you are telling them to start over?  Bloodlines?  That is pretty flimsy. 

Mourning, if ya wanna pull-off permadeath, you had better sell it good and hard before we (the players) buy into it.  It didn't take this player very long to make his decision.

Again, goodluck Mourning, you will need it.

Disclaimer: not a troll, more of a woodelf.  I do not work for any game...  Not a fanboy; looking at Vanguard, EQ2, and DnL now, with Wish somewhere on the perimeter.

Personally, I would rather have Vanguard with DnL's technology :)

• cavondecavonde Member Posts: 5

It seems like everyone either signs-up or disowns Mourning based on the perma-death thing. But when you look closely, it's not really permadeath at all. Yeah, there's a 500 hour cap for your early characters, but your offspring take like 10 hours to get back to where you were and then you can pass them. It's not really permadeath at all. I'd like to see a game that has real permadeath. It would make for very interesting game play. That being said, Mourning does seem to have some interesting ideas and looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

• OwynOwyn Member Posts: 337

Permadeath is, for sure, either a "love it or hate it" sort of thing.

Personally, I love the idea.  =)  It solves many problems of design that other games have.  It also makes the time you have ingame very meaningful and important.  For instance, no one is going to macro their characters (at 1/10th the exp they get while online) when their character goes away after X hours!

But I do totally recognize that it's a killer for many players.  I've seen two polls here on MMORPG.com about the subject, and both said that roughly 50-60% of people fall into the "would play a permadeath game if it was good" category, and about 40-50% fall into the "would not play a permadeath game ever" slot.

They're losing half their potential market with this decision.

But, they are also making their game VERY different from anything else out there.  That's a crucial element of success for a smaller game trying to take a peice of the pie from the "Big Boys".  Differentiation, and targeting a specific market.

Owyn
    Commander, Defenders of Order
    http://www.defendersoforder.com

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

Don't think of it as perma-death, because it really isn't.

In Mourning you are playing a blood-line, not a character. If you die, which will be no where near as frequent as other MMOGs you've played, you continue on playing with much of your investment in that blood-line intact.

When all is said and done, the death penalty "hit" experienced per play session, on average, should not be much more intense than any other game of this type.

• BuZeRBuZeR Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by loooord
    Not only do I not know how this game will play like, gameplay wise, I hate the fact that your character can die after playing a certain amount of hours... I'll never play it just because of this, this is just me, I know others may think otherwise.

If you read on past this death issue, you wil see you have children and they follow on your bloodline. They have advanced skills and gain more easily. They also get your Fame and items.

Also Perma death only occures i some situations like Boss Raids, high Risk/Reward quests and also greifing lower lvl.. er skilled... players

Aswell as the 500 hour one. At first reading this i was pritty dead set against it, but the more i read on the more it seemed like a good idea.