Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape - Update from E3 Junior MMO for kids?!

devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/37/feature/2065

"Adam Tuckwell is the “Safety Minister” and Head of PR at Jagex. He was proud to talk to me about Runescape's effort to make the game a safe environment for under children under the age of 13. Previously, players had to to be 13+ to play the game. Runescape launched the under 13 game in June. This provides a Quick Chat interface, and children under 13 can only see Quick Chat text from other players of the under 13 game. This game is Coppa compliant, and have been awarded Best in Class by the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation). Since the launch of the under 13 game, Jagex has seen a 40% increase in Runescape registrations.

In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List – such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval.

Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs."

For those that think that this is not a childrens game, and that Runescape has not been making active changes to their game, to make it even more of a childrens game,  you should read this interview they gave at the E3 gaming convention.

I wasn't aware of a new genre " junior mmorpg" but Jagex has invented a new catagory for their beloved Runescape. It is a junior mmorpg, a training ground for REAL mmos.. for those that can't cut it in the real MMORPG gameplay. They do not even consider their own game a REAL MMORPG, but a JUNIOR MMORPG. LOL

Once they implement all their new kiddie features it will be a completely child safe game to attract all those 7 year olds that  are not coordinated enough to play halo!

Comments

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

LOL.

Why post an article from the middle of 2008?

• jargon11jargon11 Member Posts: 9

Super!

My son has been bugging me forever to let him play this.. I was waiting for this day lol.

This is General Jargon11, out.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

LOL.

Why post an article from the middle of 2008?

Because it discusses the changes they have been making in the game up till our current time frame. As you can plainly see in the quote from Jagex , they hoped to have the game completely child friendly by the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2009. This applies to the current status of their game, and their mindest for their updates over the past couple of years. 

• mad_webbiemad_webbie Member Posts: 45

Lol, why the hate on Runescape? I played WoW and EvE but still enjoy RS. Elitist gamer like you need to spend time under the sun sometimes and not just focus your energy bashing on some game.

Originally posted by mad_webbie

Lol, why the hate on Runescape? I played WoW and EvE but still enjoy RS. Elitist gamer like you need to spend time under the sun sometimes and not just focus your energy bashing on some game.

I do not " hate on Runescape" . I think the game has a lot of potential if the developers would just wake up and listen to their core player base instead of destroy their game by making it a kiddie turnstall. They chose to take the " Junior MMORPG "route and try and turn it into a "training ground for other mmos" rather than  make it a better game that keeps players long term. 

They chose to take that route, regardless of what their players had to say about it, players who had invetsed time and money into their game making Jagex very wealthy over the years.   Jagex turning thier backs on those players, and disregarding anything they had to say about  the changes they were making to the game they enjoyed is the sole reason you have so many frustrated with Jagex.

They did this themselves, it isn't  like a bunch of players just decided they were going to start rioting in the game and  quitting the game in masses without a reason. Jagex is the one responsible for this backlash, no one else.

I for one, have said many nice things about Runescape over the years, and I hope that some smart developer takes the good from this game and creates a competing game that  actually makes it a MMORPG, not a "junior MMORPG".

• keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

Face it, all you do is bash runescape :)

• YukkiYukki Member Posts: 22

Bash Jagex*

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Omg runescape was 13+ ? my cousin who's 8 plays it, and most of his friends plays it, and most players are under 13...

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

yeah when you think about it - game has a lot of things to offer etc...

however... it wasnt really done right. also yeah... its a kiddy game. why? because you can be 6 y old and do as well as 40y old man. actually even better, because you have much more time as a kid :P

which makes playing this game not so rewarding. all you do is grind this, grind that... pvp/combat is horrible.

yeah well... atleast they made a very succesful game. now go and make a game that is really good, not just overhyped by kids xD

Originally posted by kesleri

Face it, all you do is bash runescape :)

LOL see I do try to say nice things about them as well, I used to defend this game ...

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/191461/page/1

But even when I try to say nice things about it, this is what happens...

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/249945/RuneTek-5-Game-Engine-.html

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Kid yourself as much as you want, but everyone else can see that all you do is bash the game!

Originally posted by majinant

Kid yourself as much as you want, but everyone else can see that all you do is bash the game!

Actually, I USED to defend this game...

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/155469/page/1

As you can plainly see here I wrote a  GIANT red wall of bloody text saying nice things abouth this game. I actually argued with people relentlessly at one time in defense of THIS game.. That is, until they completely screwed the game up. After that, even their biggest defenders could not defend their actions.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by majinant

Ask yourself this:

-Why should we not bash *any* game at all when we have already played the game? 

The truth is, once a person has played the game to a decent extent, he has ALL RIGHTS to bash it. But when a person bashes a game without PLAYING it, that would be bias.

• bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by sazabi

however... it wasnt really done right. also yeah... its a kiddy game. why? because you can be 6 y old and do as well as 40y old man. actually even better, because you have much more time as a kid :P
    which makes playing this game not so rewarding. all you do is grind this, grind that... pvp/combat is horrible.

yeah well... atleast they made a very succesful game. now go and make a game that is really good, not just overhyped by kids xD

What game are you playing? Runescape is more complex then most mmo's out there all thoose kiddys you talking about are killing cows or chopping yews that's as far as they will ever get oh and try getting a 6 year old to do a hard members quest without a guide I wonder how sucesesfull he would be then.

• bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by deviliscious

"Adam Tuckwell is the “Safety Minister” and Head of PR at Jagex. He was proud to talk to me about Runescape's effort to make the game a safe environment for under children under the age of 13. Previously, players had to to be 13+ to play the game. Runescape launched the under 13 game in June. This provides a Quick Chat interface, and children under 13 can only see Quick Chat text from other players of the under 13 game. This game is Coppa compliant, and have been awarded Best in Class by the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation). Since the launch of the under 13 game, Jagex has seen a 40% increase in Runescape registrations.
    In the Quarter 2 or 3 of 2009, the Parental Controls dashboard will be launched. This provides parents with the means to set how often and how long their children can play Runescape, set various chat settings and have various controls over their children's Friends List – such as the ability to add friends with or without parental approval.
    Just as MUDs were the precursors to MMORPGs, Henrique described Runscape as a Junior MMORPG. A great training ground for other MMORPGs."

For those that think that this is not a childrens game, and that Runescape has not been making active changes to their game, to make it even more of a childrens game,  you should read this interview they gave at the E3 gaming convention.
    I wasn't aware of a new genre " junior mmorpg" but Jagex has invented a new catagory for their beloved Runescape. It is a junior mmorpg, a training ground for REAL mmos.. for those that can't cut it in the real MMORPG gameplay. They do not even consider their own game a REAL MMORPG, but a JUNIOR MMORPG. LOL
    Once they implement all their new kiddie features it will be a completely child safe game to attract all those 7 year olds that  are not coordinated enough to play halo!

exaggerate much?

Originally posted by bboneheadd

exaggerate much?

Nope, sorry, no exaggeration there. Would you like to point out exactly what you feel is exaggerated? Yes, there are 7 yr olds playing runescape now thanks to Jagex's promotion of the " under 13 features" over the past year.  They have repeatedly encouraged parents to check out their " child safety features". Why would ANY gaming company in their right mind target young children and promote their child friendly  features if they are not targeting them? Does that make ANY sense to you?

They openly admitted it, called their game a junior mmo , and stated that it is a training ground for other mmos. Jagex said that, not me. Would you like to give us the definition of a " Junior mmo"? Face it, they turned the game into a kiddie turnstall.. kinda like the "Bounce house" of the MMO industry to take care of all the kiddos while the adults  go ride the roller coasters ( the REAL MMOs).

Originally posted by bboneheadd

Originally posted by sazabi

What game are you playing? Runescape is more complex then most mmo's out there all thoose kiddys you talking about are killing cows or chopping yews that's as far as they will ever get oh and try getting a 6 year old to do a hard members quest without a guide I wonder how sucesesfull he would be then.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!  Yes I seriously laughed out loud at that one. There is nothing complex or difficult about Runescape: only time consuming. Nothing more. All those kiddies I am talking about are all over the game... I certainly hope you do not actually think that anything in Runescape is hard. I got my quest cape without even trying... and yea met many " kids" along the way doing the same quests. Mario offers more of a challenge than Runescape ....

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!  Yes I seriously laughed out loud at that one. There is nothing complex or difficult about Runescape: only time consuming. Nothing more. All those kiddies I am talking about are all over the game... I certainly hope you do not actually think that anything in Runescape is hard. I got my quest cape without even trying... and yea met many " kids" along the way doing the same quests. Mario offers more of a challenge than Runescape ....

Mario offers more of a challenge then almost any MMORPG :P But yeah, RuneScape is one of the more easy and casual MMORPG's. It does have a lot of content and it gets updated with new content every few weeks, which is a plus. Sadly I don't think RS can go back to the way it was before all they tried to stop all the RWT and such.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Mario offers more of a challenge then almost any MMORPG :P But yeah, RuneScape is one of the more easy and casual MMORPG's. It does have a lot of content and it gets updated with new content every few weeks, which is a plus. Sadly I don't think RS can go back to the way it was before all they tried to stop all the RWT and such.

Yes, we want developers to keep a game fresh by adding new content, but sadly, many of their updates do just the opposite. They take from the game, rather than add to it, or they add insignificant things instead of fixing the core issues further upsetting their players.

I too do not think Runescape can ever go back to what it was, or improve to the next level in it's current state. They have taken the wrong approach so many times that it has left a sour taste in many players mouths, and that cannot be reversed. However, If someone takes the good from this game and does the opposite of what Jagex did, instead , taking a more mature route with the game I think it could have much to offer. It may be too late for Runescape, but I  do think that much could be salvaged from this game to create an excellent game.

There are ways to put a stop to 3rd party RMT and bots without ruining or taking away from gameplay. Jagex just chose the worst possible route, and it has proven ineffective. 

1. Block any outside programs from accessing their client.

2. Add a Hard drive detection tool to the log in process. If you refuse to allow them to identify your actual Hard drive, you don't play.

3.  Block actual hard drives rather than ISP IP's so that when they block someone they actually have to use another computer or replace their hard drive to access their site again.

4. Developers sell in game gold, not items from their actual site.

*This is the only tried and true method of stopping goldsellers.  It is like when Walmart moves in next door to a mom and pop shop. If players can buy in game gold from the developers, it puts gold sellers out of business. The developers are the only ones that profit from their game, and this prevents taxes being applied to players based on their in game items or character worth ( which is coming in our very near future.)  Developers can then pay the taxes along with the taxes they already pay on their subs. That would make it so players will not have to be audited and pay a separate tax when this comes to be.

Legislation for Taxes on in game items and character worth are already being pushed in The United States, Europe and many Asian nations, so developers need to prepare themselves now. Games that make this easier on players will have the edge over the others when this comes to pass. Due to the Multi billion $ industry 3rd party RMT has become this is unavoidable. Runescape in it's current state will not be exempt from this either due to all of the account training services, and account sellers that are still very active  on that game. All Jagex actually accomplished with the trade limits and such,  was increase the number of higher level bots and account training services being offered.

This is also the least imposing method on actual game play. If developers are selling gold, not items, players still have to purchase items in game from other players. This is a win-win situatiion for players.  Players that have  more time and less actual money to spend can sell in game items for in game currency to the players with more real money and less time, thus  stimulating the in game market as well.

basically like this:

Player A buys Gold from developer. Player B works hard in game for items. Player B sells Player A items for in game gold.

This makes both  player A type and Player B type content. Player A gets to compete in game even if they do not have much time to play, Player B  has  a larger market to sell to making it easier to sell their in game items.

Developer wins because it receives the extra income to  pay their bills, and expand content of game.

- Problem solved.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Junior MMORPG? That's like a big, red, shiny beacon for pedobears all over the net. Go ahead, let your kids play it. They'll have all these new friends, like 40+ yr old truckers.

Originally posted by busdriver

Junior MMORPG? That's like a big, red, shiny beacon for pedobears all over the net. Go ahead, let your kids play it. They'll have all these new friends, like 40+ yr old truckers.

You are correct, and that is exactly what has taken place on Runescape. One of my earlier posts went into further detail with some of the things witnessed on this game but yes,  it is commonplace on Runescape to have 40+ yr old truckers dating 13 yr old boys...

You are correct, and that is exactly what has taken place on Runescape. One of my earlier posts went into further detail with some of the things witnessed on this game but yes,  it is commonplace on Runescape to have 40+ yr old truckers dating 13 yr old boys...

This never gets old for you, does it ?:) I am impressed by your dedication, but unfortunately the media doesn't spam  hard enough the stuff going on in runescape, i am talking about the stuff which you describe in so much detail above. There for these things don't happen at all or if they do happen they get caught . Besides it's not like RuneScape is the only one out there... If you haven't noticed there are plenty of MMO's out there, some of them dedicated only for kids ... - the game with penguins dunno it's name - free realms - MapleStory - wizard 101 -  ... That's only 3 of the games which advertise to kids only, i don't see them taking action in to protecting their community as Jagex did :)

Anyway no sense to contradict you, as I know you won't agree, but yes you really are exaggerating again . You should go work in UK on the new MMO... If you haven't noticed they are looking for a Lead Designer position . I think you might qualify, since you have such a broad view on what's wrong and what's not wrong with MMO's :)

Take care and I wish you GL :)

http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Jobs/Games_Development/Lead_Designer_2.ws

Originally posted by kesleri

This never gets old for you, does it ?:) I am impressed by your dedication, but unfortunately the media doesn't spam  hard enough the stuff going on in runescape, i am talking about the stuff which you describe in so much detail above. There for these things don't happen at all or if they do happen they get caught . Besides it's not like RuneScape is the only one out there... If you haven't noticed there are plenty of MMO's out there, some of them dedicated only for kids ... - the game with penguins dunno it's name - free realms - MapleStory - wizard 101 -  ... That's only 3 of the games which advertise to kids only, i don't see them taking action in to protecting their community as Jagex did :)

Anyway no sense to contradict you, as I know you won't agree, but yes you really are exaggerating again . You should go work in UK on the new MMO... If you haven't noticed they are looking for a Lead Designer position . I think you might qualify, since you have such a broad view on what's wrong and what's not wrong with MMO's :)

Take care and I wish you GL :)

http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Jobs/Games_Development/Lead_Designer_2.ws

LOL! Silly. Actually these thingas are common place on this game.  As disgusting as it is, even when we repeatedly reported these people they were still playing 2 years after the fact. So, no, they were not disciplined by Jagex in any way. In fact, Some of them are made into game mods. Why don;t you ask Swim swim  how he became a mod? and his expierances as a mod? hahahahaha!

In time, I am sure you will see with your own eyes, what many of us that played for 10 years has seen in game. There is no exaggeration.. yup truckers dating 13 yr old boys pretending to be girls, grannies dating 16 yr olds .. yup all there. Ask Tam1968 about the 16 yr olds she dated, or how about pegaroo, or even Dazy0 about the 12 yr olds she actually would have phone sex with? LMAO! Or why not ask cobwebb the 13 yr old boy pretending to be a girl that dated truckers  to hack their accounts how many of them there on the game.. LOL  they can screen shot their convos for you if you like. There are too many I have seen over the years, these are just a few of the more memorable ones.

Like I said in a previous post, I could never work for them ... I would wind up putting my heel through someones eye at some point. Have ypou ever talked to these guys in person? Omg! I think they have a muffin stuck in their arse. Seriously .. they are so out of touch with people that I couldn;t stand to be in the same room with any of them without beating them down like the dog who stole the Tv guide and make them cry to their mommies.

Well i only log on in European servers since i have low latency, but i have been playing since 2002 ... And i not once have found anything which you have described there ... I guess you know a bunch of friendly players who like to "date" and "lie" over the internet, but you do have a really high interest in what they are up too involving their internet activities.

• ReactionimgReactionimg Member Posts: 4

7 year olds that  are not coordinated enough to play halo!

Haha, oh wow! You casuals and your Halo.

Who wants to tell her that Halo is the casualest piece of casualness this side of casualville and that it was practically made for 7 year olds?