Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

omg with bbq splatered everywhere..mininova is down and out

eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Quoted from pcworld.com Nov 27, 2009 9:04 am

"Mininova, one of the largest peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing sites next to The Pirate Bay, has now removed most of its links to copyrighted content. The site complied with a Dutch court ruling from August. Mininova has said it is considering appealing that ruling.

Netherlands-based Mininova has risen in recent months as one of the most popular torrent sites on the Internet, alongside The Pirate Bay, which is still maintaining a strong presence despite fines and threats to close down the site. But Mininova had to comply with a court ruling from three months ago, which ordered the site to remove all the links to illegal content.

Removing all illegal torrents from Mininova would mainly leave the site without content. Mininova used to link to several popular categories of copyrighted files, such as TV rips of U.S. prime-time shows (Heroes, Stargate Universe, Fringe, etc.) and the latest music releases from popular artists (Jay Z, Lady Gaga, Whitney Houston, and others).

Mininova also used to be visited by more than five million users daily, but only legal content will be available from now on through the site's Content Distribution service. This will probably turn away most of the visitors to more obscure torrent sites, in search for popular content.

The Eradication of Torrent Sites?

Due to declining sales, the music and movie giants have been targeting large illegal file-sharing hotspots on the Internet. Mininova's demise is only the latest move in what it looks like an attempt to eradicate torrent sites. The most popular case so far has been The Pirate Bay, which stirred a round of controversy around the world back in April.

Since then, we have seen yet another torrent site going under the radar, Demonoid, due to alleged hardware problems. Now, Mininova is just the latest illegal torrents site to fall under the axe of authorities.

However, it is likely that the illegal content that made sites such as Mininova popular will find another home very soon. There are already other up and coming sites serving such content (BTjunkie, isoHunt), next to The Pirate Bay, which despite court orders, still keeps its online presence going."

Im in shock, I really cant belive it.  I never heared of mininova being involved with court proceeding.  Hmm this sux..

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Good!

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

One falls, another three will rise to take it's place. The authorities can't stop the torrent network.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Theres like 100s of other good sites I can use anyways

• HeallunHeallun Member Posts: 149

TPB has seen just ludicrous amounts of action recently and I assume it will see even more.  DAO has something like 15,000 leechers atm, BL had 40,000 or so at its prime--these numbers if they are equated to actual lost sales would be seen as HUGE revenue loss.  How is the TPB court case coming anyway?

edit: any ideas why my avatar isn't showing up?  I miss the post :P

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Mininova was my favourite torrent site :(

O_o o_O

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334
    omOriginally posted by Heallun

TPB has seen just ludicrous amounts of action recently and I assume it will see even more.  DAO has something like 15,000 leechers atm, BL had 40,000 or so at its prime--these numbers if they are equated to actual lost sales would be seen as HUGE revenue loss.  How is the TPB court case coming anyway?

edit: any ideas why my avatar isn't showing up?  I miss the post :P

im not familiar with the specifics but i did read that they were having  allegations made and brought up by the court. about minova though, i hadent read anything about them being in a court battle.  i thought they were safe in netherland from copyright laws.  i didnt even get a email being a member on mininova nor a message any where  about anything relating to mininova being in legal difficulties or that the site was about to be taken down. i never woulda thought they could do that to mininova. 

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

Really? I didn't like mininova. Not as much results as demonoid or tpb. :|

• Krn_AssassinKrn_Assassin Member Posts: 581

No worries. Still have isohunt.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Good bye to trash I say.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• Burngrass99Burngrass99 Member Posts: 45

This is epic! A good well done Job by the CIA!

• ThelastwaaghThelastwaagh Member Posts: 92

CIA?  what the hell are you babbling about?  Brein shut them down.  Anyway pirate bay is being sold so it's dying too.  I'm not sure if you guys understand how these torrents work but all the major sites feed off of each others similar tracker files.  Less sites and users will mean in the long run less speed and files.  I have personally benefited a lot from pirated material.  Teaching myself 3ds-max,  Photoshop and watching movies for free :).  I am sad to see these great sites fall.   

-for the overmind.

• IIRLIIRL Member Posts: 876

Glad to see that piece of shit site gone and anyone who use it aswell.

I CREATED MYSELF!
    <3 "<Claus|Dev> i r pk"

SW:TOR|War40K:DMO|GW2

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by IIRL

Glad to see that piece of shit site gone and anyone who use it aswell.

Only the site is gone.