Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm telling you now........

2»

Comments

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by razerblade29

whats wrong with only one tutorial?

Just another lazy short cut...another sign of another rushed out the door MMO.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Xondar123

A properly made Dune MMO would be absolutely epic.

So would a properly made Star Trek, or Star Wars,or...

"Properly made' doesn't mean the same to players and devs.

You would probably have to use the cash shop to buy your spice doses.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

The less cry baby whiners in the game the more fun for me to play it.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Sorry to go off topic but all I could think of when I saw the title of this thread was this! LOL

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

Sorry to go off topic but all I could think of when I saw the title of this thread was this! LOL

Bren

I'm guessing those guys never reproduced.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

I'm guessing those guys never reproduced.

I certainly hope not!

Well all accept for Frankie Avalon... I'm sure he had plenty of opportunity to reproduce... LOL

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Deathspell

With the lack of information coming from Cryptic about the Klingon Faction in STO. I bet an annoucement will be made shortly after Xmas stating that the Klingon faction will NOT be available to play at launch but will be included in a free patch later on. Reason,  just not ready for release!
    All the information Cryptic has given us has been about the Federation including 90% of the pictures and video footage. If there is a no Klingon Faction to play at release after supposedly a few hours of gaming and completing the tutorial. The STO Klingon fan base will label this game as a failure and it wont recover.
    I hope the heck I'm wrong!

If it's in, it's in, if it's not then it's not a big issue really.

What matters is the fun factor, is STO going to be fun to play????

I hope it's a fun game but NO ONE is going to know 100% no matter how much hot air passes out here until you have "hands-on" experience FACT, then you can make the call.

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

If it's in, it's in, if it's not then it's not a big issue really.

An MMO releasing with only one faction?

That sure as hell is a big deal.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

An MMO releasing with only one faction?
    That sure as hell is a big deal.

Assuming that is even what will happen, which is completely unknown at this point.

All this talk of them only releasing with Starfleet being playable is speculation and nothing more, I personally think we should reserve judgment for a time when all the facts are actually present, as opposed to making assumptions now based on nothing more than internet chatter.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Hmm, only a few months until release and we're not even sure if Klingons will be in as a playable race?  Does sort of remind me of some rush releases in recent days gone by.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Wow, we really are reaching with this rumour aren't we?

http://www.startrekonline.com/about_star_trek_online

"In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe will appear for the first time on a truly massive scale. In this massively multiplayer online game from Cryptic Studios, players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship. Or, they can become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy."

It's been mentioned hundreds of times what the factions are. This is the most far fetched rumour of all time and that's saying something.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DeathspellDeathspell Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I'll never get the fascination with Twilight but to each her own.
    I'm actually suprised that some people thought Klingons wouldn't be playable at launch when it has been state many times that the two playable factions were Federation and Klingons. Some folks either don't pay attention to what is going on or just choose to ignore the obvious because they want reasons to bash the game.

If you would have taken a little more time to read my orignal post you would not be surprised at all. I'm asking where is all the information on the Klingon side of STO? If you can point  me and everyone else that is looking for this information, great!  Yeah I know there is 2 playable races in STO! I can find a lot of Federation info but yet only a drop of klingon info and that leads me to beleive that the klingon side is not ready yet and wont make release at the start and will be released in a patch. I hope I'm wrong but the lack of Klingon news from Cryptic is not promissing.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I refuse to play unless there's a Tribble faction...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I'm actually suprised that some people thought Klingons wouldn't be playable at launch when it has been state many times that the two playable factions were Federation and Klingons. Some folks either don't pay attention to what is going on or just choose to ignore the obvious because they want reasons to bash the game.

If you would have taken a little more time to read my orignal post you would not be surprised at all. I'm asking where is all the information on the Klingon side of STO? If you can point  me and everyone else that is looking for this information, great!  Yeah I know there is 2 playable races in STO! I can find a lot of Federation info but yet only a drop of klingon info and that leads me to beleive that the klingon side is not ready yet and wont make release at the start and will be released in a patch. I hope I'm wrong but the lack of Klingon news from Cryptic is not promissing.

If you had taken the time to read the rest of the thread you would see posts like this...

"Hmm, only a few months until release and we're not even sure if Klingons will be in as a playable race? Does sort of remind me of some rush releases in recent days gone by."

But if you want more info

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos

Check the Future's Past  2 video near the end where they discuss the races you play as the Klingon Faction.

Just because they haven't discussed the Klingon Faction is as much detail as the Federation doesn't mean they won't be in at launch. The Federation has been discussed first because that will most likely be the faction that is most played. I understand your fustration because there are the same sentiments from Klingon players on the the official site. The biggest gripes are the announcment that PVP will factor in more than PVE when playing Klingons and the lack of ships shown. But I highly doubt that they will go back on everything they've been saying for the last year and a half and not make Klingons playable at lauch.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Yeah, but "The Trouble With Tribbles" is that you're gonna have to....

• DeathspellDeathspell Member UncommonPosts: 7

If you had taken the time to read the rest of the thread you would see posts like this...

"Hmm, only a few months until release and we're not even sure if Klingons will be in as a playable race? Does sort of remind me of some rush releases in recent days gone by."

But if you want more info

http://www.startrekonline.com/videos

Check the Future's Past  2 video near the end where they discuss the races you play as the Klingon Faction.

Just because they haven't discussed the Klingon Faction is as much detail as the Federation doesn't mean they won't be in at launch. The Federation has been discussed first because that will most likely be the faction that is most played. I understand your fustration because there are the same sentiments from Klingon players on the the official site. The biggest gripes are the announcment that PVP will factor in more than PVE when playing Klingons and the lack of ships shown. But I highly doubt that they will go back on everything they've been saying for the last year and a half and not make Klingons playable at lauch.

When you annouce that there is going to be two playable races and one it unlocked via the tutorial, one would assume that information about both playable races would be given. I have seen a lot of videos and please point me to one video where there a Klingon ship as being Captained by a RL player? Evrything is from the Feds point of view. I have read every post in this thread yet i never made mention to that quote, i only made mention to my original post.  Before forking over hard earned money for a game, people want to see the contents, just not half of it.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Star Trek must be one of the easiest MMORPG's to make these days.
    Everything you could find in the TV series is a breeze to simulate on a PC these days:
    - "Beam me up Scotty" ---> fast preloading of graphics to an instance. Deadly for an open fantasy mmorpg, but actually believable in ST.
    - "Clean short instances with limited views" ----> perfectly used by Cryptic in CoH already. Deadly for a classic fantasy mmorpg, but believable in ST.
    - "Very straight and black/blue/white art" ---> typical SF computer art and easy to implement.
    - "Space the final frontier" ----> fast preloading of ... empty space and a lonely planet. Empty space ...deadly for a classic mmorpg, but for SF there IS ... empty space.
    - Could go on, but I think ST TV series/films are IDEAL to be turned into an MMORPG like Cryptic showed in CoH/CoV/CO.
    I think that's the main reason why the development went so fast.
    If you used the above in more traditional settings, everyone and his dog would yell "Booh", (even in PotBS), but here it even works and is compliant with the LORE.
    ... It shows one thing .... just HOW easy it was to create EVE (sorry couldn't help it). :))))

Yeah its a dog. Makes me wonder why the wow cheerleaders would  even be concerned about it. 

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Originally posted by grandpagamer

Star Trek must be one of the easiest MMORPG's to make these days.
    Everything you could find in the TV series is a breeze to simulate on a PC these days:
    - "Beam me up Scotty" ---> fast preloading of graphics to an instance. Deadly for an open fantasy mmorpg, but actually believable in ST.
    - "Clean short instances with limited views" ----> perfectly used by Cryptic in CoH already. Deadly for a classic fantasy mmorpg, but believable in ST.
    - "Very straight and black/blue/white art" ---> typical SF computer art and easy to implement.
    - "Space the final frontier" ----> fast preloading of ... empty space and a lonely planet. Empty space ...deadly for a classic mmorpg, but for SF there IS ... empty space.
    - Could go on, but I think ST TV series/films are IDEAL to be turned into an MMORPG like Cryptic showed in CoH/CoV/CO.
    I think that's the main reason why the development went so fast.
    If you used the above in more traditional settings, everyone and his dog would yell "Booh", (even in PotBS), but here it even works and is compliant with the LORE.
    ... It shows one thing .... just HOW easy it was to create EVE (sorry couldn't help it). :))))

Yeah its a dog. Makes me wonder why the wow cheerleaders would  even be concerned about it. 

Wrong voice.

I plan to play it and enjoy it. For once I will not be bothered by empty zones and pre loading graphics screens because ST IS simply "played" - be it on TV or in a video game that way.

The above was not sarcastic. :))))

There may be hope yet :)

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Xondar123

A properly made Dune MMO would be absolutely epic.

So would a properly made Star Trek, or Star Wars,or...

"Properly made' doesn't mean the same to players and devs.

You would probably have to use the cash shop to buy your spice doses.

Yeah, and your character dies permanently if you don't keep imbibing the spice.

I do think SWTOR is going to be a very epic and fun game. I know some people are cynical and that it does have it's detractors, but even if it plays like a usual single-player Bioware RPG then I think it'll be better than 90% of games on the market today. I think it will be a very fun game.

As for STO... Well, maybe it'll be the Star Wars Galaxies to a future The Old Republic that'll see a development studio make a properly epic and entertaining Star Trek MMO.

• tyanyatyanya Member Posts: 199

This is Cryptic, they are kings of the superficial, the look is proabably the only thing they are going ot offer. In real terms the odds are that playing as Klingon or Federation will make no difference to the missions you get or the way the 'universe' responds to you (assuming they bother to offer any semblance of response in any form or illusion)?

In fact given that war and bludgeoning folks to death will likely be the only real mechanism provided to resolve every quest the game is probably going to be more appropriate, by accident, for Klingon than Federation.

Originally posted by Zionnax

Originally posted by Robsolf

Yeah, but "The Trouble With Tribbles" is that you're gonna have to....

Do nothing but eat and breed.

I'm not seeing the problem.

• jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136

I don't even want to pre-order this now. The ground animations look like crap and I hate instancing.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Well I want to pre-order the thing myself, I know I know.. big risk.. I'm gonna take a big risk in doing so.. 

However.. if  the game does release without the Klingon Faction.. It is a big issue, considering the game is being advertised as a  "...faction vs. faction PvP ruleset, but there are also plans for a competitive PvE mechanic."  That would be a major issue.

But for now I'll stick with the old saying "no news is good news" and hope 'ignorance is bliss' will apply :)

edit:  it's early and my spelling is even worse in the morning.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I really have no idea how this will turn out overall as an MMO. I don't much differentiate between PVE MMOs and PVP MMOs; if done well any sort of game design is good with me. 

In my experience Cryptic makes games that are fun initially (for a month or so), but don't provide much to keep you in the long run. Unlike many, I've enjoyed Champions Online, but that's only because I've played it very very casually. And even then I can see it's much too repetitious for its own good. So despite the fact that I enjoy its basic combat mechanics, it gets stale rather quickly.

I have a suspicion that they're going to come up with much richer content for STO, but will just loading up on the amount of content be enough? For the long haul, players need variety of choices and depth of gameplay as well.

That's why I'm most curious about the Genesis system.

• mortalitymortality Member UncommonPosts: 77

With the lack of information coming from Cryptic about the Klingon Faction in STO. I bet an annoucement will be made shortly after Xmas stating that the Klingon faction will NOT be available to play at launch but will be included in a free patch later on. Reason,  just not ready for release!
    All the information Cryptic has given us has been about the Federation including 90% of the pictures and video footage. If there is a no Klingon Faction to play at release after supposedly a few hours of gaming and completing the tutorial. The STO Klingon fan base will label this game as a failure and it wont recover.
    I hope the heck I'm wrong!

It is logical to assume that the Federation will be perfected first and other faction feature as patches or expansions. Personally im more interested in Vulcans and Romulans.