Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last 4 Classes announced in PC Gamer Magazine, Jan 2010 Edition

Friends,

I recieved my January edition of PC Gamer magazine today and it was full of new information about the upcomming MMO STar Wars the Old Republic. The last 4 classes were added and now we have:

Sith

Sith Warrior (Inspired by Darth Vader, Dart Maul)

Bounty Hunter

Sith Inquisitor  (Inspired by Emperor Palpatine)

Sith Agent   ( Spy Class inspired by Grand Moff Tarkin and Sam Fisher >Splinter Cell)

Republic

Republic Trooper

Smuggler

Jedi Knight ( Inspired by Mace Windu and Anakin Skywalker)

Jedi Consular ( Inspired by Qui-Gon-Gin and Obi-Wan Kenobi)

The inspired by is from the Lead writer for TOR, Daniek Erickson. He said that the reason for GMoff Takin in Agent is because he and Palpetine were the only guys in the films that were unflapped by the Sith.

Nothing in the article about any sort of crafting yet.

Your Friend

MorBlade

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I don't really get why bounty hunters are 'evil'... sure, they are used by the Empire and huts in the films, but thats because they are the establishment in their respective parts of the galaxy and the heroes are usually the rebels. A 'bounty hunter' is surely just someone who hunts down fugitives sought by the law for money? I don't get what is 'evil' by definition about that...

Same applies to smugglers being republic... I mean, what are these guys smuggling thats so 'good'? How are they part of the Republic wheh BH arnt? At least BH are legal...

Pretty odd in my eyes.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by vesavius

I don't really get why bounty hunters are 'evil'... sure, they are used by the Empire and huts in the films, but thats because they are the establishment in their respective parts of the galaxy and the heroes are usually the rebels. A 'bounty hunter' is surely just someone who hunts down fugitives sought by the law for money? I don't get what is 'evil' by definition about that...
    Same applies to smugglers being republic... I mean, what are these guys smuggling thats so 'good'? How are they part of the Republic wheh BH arnt? At least BH are legal...
    Pretty odd in my eyes.

Hunt's down fugitives? He's not Duane "Dog" Chapman. Bounty Hunters in the Star Wars universe hunt anything with the right price.

Edit: Wookieepedia - Bounty hunters were hireable mercenaries who tracked down and captured or killed anyone with a price on their head, although they were also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients. The best bounty hunters were very well armed and had very effective weapons, making them even more dangerous. There were, however, plenty of incompetent specimens throughout the galaxy, lacking any real skill but wishing to get rich quickly or simply seeking adventure.

Cold blood killers in my opinion.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Pretty odd in my eyes.

I'm pretty sure it's that way because people can relate to the classes in those roles more easily in reference to the films.

Bounty hunters worked for the bad guys in the movies, Smugglers(think Han Solo)sided with the rebels.

It's not really odd at all IMO.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Pretty odd in my eyes.

Smugglers broke the Mandalorian blockade of a trade route from the Outer Rim into the core worlds, and brought raw materials and goods into Coruscant and other core worlds. The blockade was Mandalorian, but was arranged in the background by Imperial Agents.

(I finally sat down and watched the timeline trailers last night, and that was covered)

As far as the Bounty Hunters, I believe in one of the trailers they were mentioned that the Sith were trying to hire them to fight with them, and augment their armies, as well as try to manipulate the Mandalorians into fighting as well.

To me, it's more of a profession, while I'd expect a tighter alignment of Sith and Jedi to their respective factions, I think that the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter will allow more latitude as to being "people who go where the profit is greatest". They arent inherently good or evil. They are the grey area.

Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Pretty odd in my eyes.

I'm pretty sure it's that way because people can relate to the classes in those roles more easily in reference to the films.

Bounty hunters worked for the bad guys in the movies, Smugglers(think Han Solo)sided with the rebels.

Given the option a Smuggler would be smart enough to take the Republics side every time. They specialize in illegal trades. It boils down to if you was caught smuggling who would you want carrying out your sentence, Republic or Empire. Empire has no leniency.

Originally posted by greed0104

Pretty odd in my eyes.

Hunt's down fugitives? He's not Duane "Dog" Chapman. Bounty Hunters in the Star Wars universe hunt anything with the right price.

Edit: Wookieepedia - Bounty hunters were hireable mercenaries who tracked down and captured or killed anyone with a price on their head, although they were also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients. The best bounty hunters were very well armed and had very effective weapons, making them even more dangerous. There were, however, plenty of incompetent specimens throughout the galaxy, lacking any real skill but wishing to get rich quickly or simply seeking adventure.

Cold blood killers in my opinion.

Who isnt Dog? I wasnt talking about an individual...

As the artical said, they captured as well as killed (depending on case and BH), and worked as protectors...

Your entitled to your opinion, course, but I think it's kinda narrow and fails to take on board whats in that artical, let alone the wider picture.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

Pretty odd in my eyes.

Ask your this question:

How many times have you seen the Jedi Council or any of its allies hire a Bounty Hunter in the films?

BH work for those who offer the highest price, in the Star Wars universe those figures tend to be immoral criminals who are willing to step outside the law in order to see there ends met.

The Mandalorians often worked as protectors, yes, but only when Mandalore or its inhabitants were at risk. BH only "protect" those who they have a vested interest in or those who have paid for the service.

Pretty odd in my eyes.

So some BH worked for the empire, and 1 smuggler was a somewhat decent guy..?

and thas the basis of the entire definition of whether a profession is 'good' or 'evil'? :P

oh, btw, Han owed money due to dropping a cargo, so Greedo came to take him in alive to pay his not denied debt, and so Han snealky shoots him to kill rather then pay back...

Who was 'evil' here? :P

As the artical said, they captured as well as killed (depending on case and BH), and worked as protectors...
    Your entitled to your opinion, course, but I think it's kinda narrow and fails to take on board whats in that artical, let alone the wider picture.

Uh, huh?

They work as protectors for anybody willing to hire. A bounty hunter would protect hitler for the right price. Did you not watch Star Wars?

Again, "although they were also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients". Do you believe somebody always protecting anothers life is considered good?

Edit: And Duane Chapman is a Bounty Hunter from Hawaii, which matched your definition of a Bounty Hunter,  your definition had nothing to do with star wars.

Originally posted by Euphoryk

Pretty odd in my eyes.

Ask your this question:

How many times have you seen the Jedi Council or any of its allies hire a Bounty Hunter in the films?

BH work for those who offer the highest price, in the Star Wars universe those figures tend to be immoral criminals who are willing to step outside the law in order to see there ends met.

The Mandalorians often worked as protectors, yes, but only when Mandalore or its inhabitants were at risk. BH only "protect" those who they have a vested interest in or those who have paid for the service.

Sure, it wasnt shown, but it's a big assed galaxy.... BH working for the jedi council? Why not? It isnt illegal or immoral to be a BH is it?

Oh, and Han has worked for the Hutts yes?

Eveeeel!

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

"Good" and "evil" are morality decisions for the individual, which are not dictated by the faction one would choose.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

Uh, huh?

They work as protectors for anybody willing to hire. A bounty hunter would protect hitler for the right price. Did you not watch Star Wars?

Again, "although they were also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients". Do you believe somebody protect anothers life is considered good?

Edit: And Duane Chapman is a Bounty Hunter from Hawaii, which matched your definition of a Bounty Hunter,  your definition had nothing to do with star wars.

That is sooo cool, I never knew there were absolutely no good "BH" in Star Wars or that all "Smugglers" were good guys,  I read some of the books and I just did not get that type of idea, funny.

Wow no "smuggler" ever smuggled illegal items into the good guys planets, and the "BH" only ever hunt down the good guys with prices on their heads and only protects the evil d00ds.

Neat that it is soo black and white, I hope our "BH" and our "Smugglers" here on earth in present time will learn where their place is.

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.

Originally posted by Tethered

Uh, huh?

Again, "although they were also known for doing nearly anything for the right price including the protection of clients". Do you believe somebody protect anothers life is considered good?

That is sooo cool, I never knew there were absolutely no good "BH" in Star Wars or that all "Smugglers" were good guys,  I read some of the books and I just did not get that type of idea, funny.

Wow no "smuggler" ever smuggled illegal items into the good guys planets, and the "BH" only ever hunt down the good guys with prices on their heads and only protects the evil d00ds.

Neat that it is soo black and white, I hope our "BH" and our "Smugglers" here on earth in present time will learn where their place is.

Dumbass. The point is Bounty Hunters in Star Wars don't just hunt fugitives like the other dumbass is suggesting. He asked how they're evil. I answered with they kill for money, their a damn hitman.

Uh, huh?

Lol lets keep this fun... no need to start getting all like 'did you not watch star wars' on me... I obviously have. I am not sure you are understanding the points I am making though :)

We are talking about bounty hunters though, and bounty hunters are not by defintion evil, any more then a soldier is. Why include them in the 'evil' faction? They are just professionals governed by their own world view and principles, not a professional one...

My point isnt that BH are 'good' by definition, its that they arnt 'evil' by defintion... So why present them as such?

I guess it's no less cheesy then making all the BH wear Mandalorian style armour though... they should have just called the class 'Boba Fett', not bounty hunter.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Pretty odd in my eyes.

and thas the basis of the entire definition of whether a profession is 'good' or 'evil'? :P

oh, btw, Han owed money due to dropping a cargo, so Greedo came to take him in alive to pay his not denied debt, and so Han snealky shoots him to kill rather then pay back...

Han was a smuggler but what exactly was he smuggling? Medical supplies? Food? Arms to the rebels? Nope, he was a "spice" smuggler. Sounds pretty innocent, doesn't it? Until you read what "spice" in the SW universe is.

Spice is a narcotic in SW. starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spice  "Spice was slang for various mind-altering drugs."

Han was a drug smuggler. He owed Jabba, a drug lord, a bunch of money for dropping his cargo when the Empire boarded his ship for inspection. Not so black and white now.

I'm sure at some point the Empire hired or put bounties on known smugglers.

Originally posted by nAAtimus

"Good" and "evil" are morality decisions for the individual, which are not dictated by the faction one would choose.

You mean there's room for variation within the faction based on the individual decisions a player would make throughout their playtime? Like how there can be dark Jedi and light Sith?  So the faction one picks doesn't dictate whether one is good or evil? Interesting!

Lol lets keep this fun... no need to start getting all like 'did you not watch star wars' on me... I obviously have. I am not sure you are understanding the points I am making though :)
    We are talking about bounty hunters though, and bounty hunters are not by defintion evil, any more then a soldier is. Why include them in the 'evil' faction? They are just professionals governed by their own world view and principles, not a professional one...
    My point isnt that BH are 'good' by definition, its that they arnt 'evil' by defintion... So why present them as such?
    I guess it's no less cheesy then making all the BH wear Mandalorian style armour though... they should have just called the class 'Boba Fett', not bounty hunter.

Good and Evil are a point of view. Before you disagree notice I'm already disagreeing with you. Why? Because it's my point of view.

Originally posted by Tethered

Uh, huh?

Dumbass. The point is Bounty Hunters in Star Wars don't just hunt fugitives like the other dumbass is suggesting. He asked how they're evil. I answered with they kill for money, their a damn hitman.

lol your so angry.

No need to insult, we are only talking about a film...

I asked how are they, by definition, ALL 'evil'... and you demonstrated that it is because some of them are prepared to kill... which made no sense at all. I think you know this tho and this is why you have now gone right into the troll insults.

Is a soldier 'evil' then by your definition? They kill for money right?

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Sure, it wasnt shown, but it's a big assed galaxy.... BH working for the jedi council? Why not? It isnt illegal or immoral to be a BH is it?
    Bounty Hunting wasn't exactly regarded as a noble profession among the inhabitants of the galaxy. It may not have been illegal per say, but hunting people down for credits most certainly was an immoral practice and BH were widely regarded as scum of the universe because of the stigma surrounding them.
    This is why you only ever see the evil characters of the universe associating with the BH. It wasn't until much, much later in the extended universe when Boba began to concern himself with the bigger picture. Specifically the YV War.
    Oh, and Han has worked for the Hutts yes?
    You've got me there.
    Although Han wasn't ever regarded as the most honest individual either, he pretty much just co-operated with the Rebels because he wanted a chance to nail Leia lol.

Originally posted by Torak

Pretty odd in my eyes.

Han was a smuggler but what exactly was he smuggling? Medical supplies? Food? Arms to the rebels? Nope, he was a "spice" smuggler. Sounds pretty innocent, doesn't it? Until you read what "spice" in the SW universe is.

Spice is a narcotic in SW. starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spice  "Spice was slang for various mind-altering drugs."

Han was a drug smuggler. He owed Jabba, a drug lord, a bunch of money for dropping his cargo when the Empire boarded his ship for inspection. Not so black and white now.

I'm sure at some point the Empire hired or put bounties on known smugglers.

Exactly :)

and Han shot first!

Also, Han was working for the Hutts before he joined up with the rebellion.

lol your so angry.
    No need to insult, we are only talking about a film...
    I asked how are they, by definition, ALL 'evil'... and you demonstrated that it is because some of them are prepared to kill... which made no sense at all. I think you know this tho and this is why you have now gone right into the troll insults.
    Is a soldier 'evil', then by your definition? They kill for money right?

[mod edit]

My main point was Bounty Hunters don't just hunt fugitives as you first suggested. Secondly Bounty Hunters hunt kill/abduct anybody with a price on their head, their goals are not for a better cause, it's to make money! And lots of it. There has not been one Bounty Hunter depicted in Star Wars that hunts marks to give them surprise birthday parties. So yes, I believe they are what you would call evil. I just say they have a destructive nature.

Soldiers can have many and multiple reasons for pursuing a military career, there are plenty that don't involve killing. This would be up to the Soldier to decide, maybe he did it for justice, a patriot, maybe he just wants to kill somebody. In the end Bounty Hunters in Star Wars have always been shown as ruthless cold blooded killers.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Pretty odd in my eyes.

I was putting the roles in the context of the movies which I think most would agree are the main point of reference for most people.

As such they can relate to a Smuggler(ala Han Solo) working for the good guys, and a Bounty Hunter(ala Boba Fett) working for the Empire.

The rest is semantics and pointless to argue as most of us realize things aren't always that black and white but for a VIDEO GAME they need to be so class roles can be defined in the context of gameplay and relavence to the game world.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• dterrydterry Member Posts: 449

The more I hear about this game, the more I wonder what they are thinking.

Sith Warrior - inspired by Vader?

Sith Inquisitor - inspired by Palpatine?

Do what?

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

My personal hype just dropped from 8/10 to 4/10.

I'll still be buying it, but my expectations for something that's going to keep me around is much much lower now.