Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Playing Mass Effect I Feel every rpg should be 100% fully voiced.

metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

When playing a game like ME the voiceovers during conversations with Npcs and in the codex just immerse you in the entire experience.

Now that i'm plying Dragon Age I see that they chosen not to fully voice the conversations. The NPC talks to you and you answer by selecting text then nothing.

This was a let down for me.

I know oldschool rpgs were all texted based but that was a long time ago and now we have the tech to achieve fully voiced rpgs.

After seeing it in ME I want it in every rpg that releases after.

Anyone else feel this way?

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

Comments

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Dragon Age did feel kind of a let down untill I realized what they would have needed to do to complete the full voice over. In ME there are 2 voices, male and female. In Dragon Age we are looking at a minimum 6 voices one for each sex of each race. Now not to say they couldn't have done it but I think they are focusing their voice over for SWTOR as your PC will have a voice if I watched I remember right from the videos.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

I feel the same. But at the same time, I also think it can get very annoying. My first play through Mass Effect, I loved the voiceovers, it really put me inside the game, and when playing RPG's; I am looking for an experience. So it was great. Second time through, I'm not even off the Citadel yet and I'm starting to get annoyed at all the dialogue. I am glad you can skip it, and I can pretty much listen to what I want to listen to, which is nice. Ultimately though, I can see it getting very annoying for people.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Yeah I'm sure it's not easy to voice an entire rpg and for small studios it would be taking away from other parts of the game due to lack of funds.

Still though, ME spoiled me a bit.

With Mass Effect 2 on the way in January and Final Fantasy XIII in mid 2010 I'm sure those will be mostly voiced.

Oh and ToR being 100% voiced is kind of a mixed bag for me. Don't know how I feel about that much work in voice when it could have gone into extra features in the game. Rpg's are different for me I'm happy with 30-100+ hours of content but with mmos I play them for thousands of hours. we will see.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Voice overs are great, it's a enhanced way of showing emotions. Before music set the mood. Voiced can also be the downfall of a game. Best PS1 game also had the worst voice acting.

"You STEAL mens souls and make them your slaves!"

"What is a man?

A miserable little pile of secrets!"

Dramatic emotions turned into comedy.

Originally posted by greed0104

Voice overs are great, it's a enhanced way of showing emotions. Before music set the mood. Voiced can also be the downfall of a game. Best PS1 game also had the worst voice acting.
    "What is a man?

Best game Eva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously SotN>all

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by greed0104

"What is a man?

Best game Eva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously SotN>all

I still play it on my ps1 emu. The hours I spent in that game on the PS1 years ago would match the thousands of hours I have in WoW now. First console game to ever take up that much time.  Second would go to Metal Gear Solid and third would be FF7.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i agree after playing mass effect and newer RPGs i think every rpg should have 100% voice, although i dont mind if my character doesnt have one (like in dragon age). I dunno, as long as the people i talk to have voice and i dont, i still feel just as immersed.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Full voice acting in the starting area of AOC really helped give the player a feeling of a more involved storyline in my opinion.  A lot of the later quests are now voiced too.   Its unfortunate that other things let AOC down, but let's not go off-topic here :)

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

When playing a game like ME the voiceovers during conversations with Npcs and in the codex just immerse you in the entire experience.
    Now that i'm plying Dragon Age I see that they chosen not to fully voice the conversations. The NPC talks to you and you answer by selecting text then nothing.
    I know oldschool rpgs were all texted based but that was a long time ago and now we have the tech to achieve fully voiced rpgs.

While I still really enjoyed DA, I didn't like not having a voice. I'm glad SWTOR will be full voice acted. This is not to say that I believe every RPG should be voice acted. Some RPG's, going for the old school look and feel, could still have written text.

Originally posted by nate1980

While I still really enjoyed DA, I didn't like not having a voice. I'm glad SWTOR will be full voice acted. This is not to say that I believe every RPG should be voice acted. Some RPG's, going for the old school look and feel, could still have written text.

If i recall correctly many games that have voice overs also have subtitles, which caters for both crowds.

Originally posted by Tarka

Originally posted by nate1980

If i recall correctly many games that have voice overs also have subtitles, which caters for both crowds.

Yeah they do, you could put the captions on. Good if people want to read or hate the voice work.

• RydekRydek Member Posts: 35

Its true i would like all rpgs to be voiced because when i played some mmo's rpgs in the past and i pick up a quest its just pure text and well maybe (hello sir can i have your help) thats it from that npc.

This is why im excited about Star Wars Old Republic it makes the world more alive and exciting, and well i hope bioware pull it off :D 

Originally posted by Rydek

Its true i would like all rpgs to be voiced because when i played some mmo's rpgs in the past and i pick up a quest its just pure text and well maybe (hello sir can i have your help) thats it from that npc.
    This is why im excited about Star Wars Old Republic it makes the world more alive and exciting, and well i hope bioware pull it off :D 

Well, I too hope that they can, but I'm not 100% convinced yet.