Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP: Don't expect anything w/o buying from I.Mall.

zword97zword97 Member Posts: 15

READ THIS IF YOU ARE LOOKING INTO THIS GAME AND YOUR MAIN INTREST ARE ANY TYPE OF PVP

That's all i gotta say, I played 2 characters to level 100+. By the time you get to about level 100, the game instantly requires FULL attention or being able to buy cash shop items. Let me make it sweet and short for those who've never played this game before.

For about the first 50 levels, this game is...PERFECT.

After about level 50, its requires a decent amount of hours a week(about 15+)

By level 80(Hello, upgrade time) You need a HUGE amount of money depending on your mercenaries, the better the class, the more the money.

By level 100, its all about the money. If you wish to pvp...this is what you'll get: You'll either battle decent players w/avg gear OR you'll battle players w/ auto battle license(this means you technically fight a bot), that are heavy CS users, with class B mercs(highest ranked merc group), +10 gear and CS clothing(this adds +50 VIT per piece[its usually a 4-piece set] w/mount]) not only does the CS item add vitality, but also, mount and wings add about +150 VIT each and about 500-800 P.atk[more than a lot of weapons, even in the high levels]). Another thing that makes the game torturing...is the fact that leveling becomes very slow...but wait! that's right! for 15 dollars! only 15 dollars, you get a 30 DAY! 30 DAY ITEM! That gives you a 150% exp boost! 50% ATK and DEF bonus! and more DROPS! (sounds like an MMO subscription fee to me).

Let me add on another note...I left the game for about 3 months...when i came back...the economy was a mess...and i mean a MESS! CS Users and  NOOBS control the game's economy.

Now, if you are willing to spend 30+ hours a week on this game, i guess you can make the money to buy all the things you want as you grind thru dungeons every 24 hours.

On ANOTHER note, let this be a warning for anyone actually be willing to spend money on this game...80% OF THE ITEMS IN THE ITEM MALL ARE GAMBLE! IT CAN COST YOU 1 BOX TO GET AN  ITEM OR IT CAN COST  YOU 20! BE WILLING TO SPEND ATLEAST 10 DOLLARS PER BOX TO EITHER GET A AMOUNT OR A LOAD OF SCROLLS. Let me quote one of the 10 dollar boxes, this is the Hydra box, the highest level mount as of now.

"# 1 Hydra

# 1 Armed Mount Box

# 1 Ancient Skill Book Box II (your choice of 10 Ancient Skill Books, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Ancient Skill Book(Merc. Only) Box II (your choice of 10 Ancient Skill Books(Merc. Only), 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Secret Vial of Amnesia Box (your choice of 1 Secret Vial of Amnesia, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Water of Life Box (your choice of 200 Water of Life, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Secret Vial of Potential Box (your choice of 60 Secret Vial of Potential, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Skill Decrease Book Box (your choice of 100 Skill Decrease Books, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Growth Vial Box (your choice of 100 Growth Vials, 50 Dragon Jewels, 50 Giant Jewels, 50 Redemption Jewels, or 50 Phoenix Jewels)

# 1 Scroll of Life's Blessing Box

# 1 Scroll of Resurrection Box

# 1 Scroll of Bewitching Box

# 1 Scroll of Judgement Box

# 1 Freezing Scroll Box

# 1 Hercules' Sealed Stone

# 3 Hercules' Sealed Stone

# 10 Hercules' Sealed Stone"

After the calculation...you have a 1 in 17 shot at getting your mount...don't bother to get your calculator just yet...IT'S ONLY A 5% CHANCE PER BOX.

Then again...those are my thoughts...for those are looking at this game and thinking about it...all i gotta say is, its a good game for 70 levels, if you only wish to quest, quest and quest, this is probably the game for you, if you like to PVP in any way...i would stop the download...after level 80...prepare to open your wallet or spend 50+ hours a week in this game after level to try to catch up with those CS users or just take a loss every time you somehow end up matched up against them in free league matches.

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I agree with your basic premise, but really, you don't need to use the cash shop (or be lifeless) until 115 or so.

From then on, in PvE, you need to have uber gear just to survive.

Still, most games are like these. In P2P games, you don't even have the option of using the item mall, you just have to be lifeless.  Doing raids over and over for the uber gear you need. Just so you can do more raids. Whee.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• icaughtfireicaughtfire Member Posts: 109

In my own opinion, You can survive this game even without buying in the item mall. I am already level 115 an I haven't anything from the item mall yet.

*The effects of mounts and blessing license does not have an effect in PVP. The effects of it only applies in PVE.

*Licenses such as auto-battle license are available in game so you can purchase it in the market.

*Don't think of blessing license as a subscription fee because I leveled up to 115 without using any blessing license, I just took advantage of the exp mods that they give every weekend. I even level faster than other players because I really take advantage of it.

*Boxes in the item really contain random stuff. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't. Even if you don't get the items that you want. You can still get some jewels or crystals that you can sell in the market.

*The boxes in the item mall are appealing but its up to you if you buy it or not. So if you buy some and don't get the item that you want. Better luck next time.

*A lot of people got rare items from those boxes and they do spend a lot too but it's their choice. They don't rant whenever they don't get what they want because they know that it's their OWN choice to buy those boxes. It's not a policy or a pre requisite to buy items from the item mall. It's really up to YOU.

• icaughtfireicaughtfire Member Posts: 109

Almost forgot, Ever heard of jackpot license? Why not jackpot those crystals and craft them to jewels so you can upgrade your mercs on time? Ciao!

• MuwingMuwing Member Posts: 14

I agree with trancejeremy.

In most MMORPGs you need levels and good gear to be competitive.

With P2Ps you only need time (grind / quests / raids).

With F2P you also need time, but using cash shop reduces this time (exp bonus, equipement...).

By the way, on Atlantica Online the grind tends to be less intensive, and gear is less important too.

Atlantica-db.com, Atlantica Online fansite.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

Money is actually easy to gain when your already 100+. just do dungeons and wanted boards and you can save up for licences, bless and gears. What I like about AO is that anything can be gotten in game. If the boxes are too much of a gamble to you, then dont buy them. Many people just buy atlas and then sell them for gold, then buy the mount they want to avoid gamble.

For me people most of the people that rant about stuffs, they just cant adapt or too lazy to try. For money... check muwings site for info.. It is a very helpful site. ^^

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

this is not new in mmo anymore... well as of the moment my character was level 100 already but never buy in the item mall. All I do is to JP, Craft, Analyze and FL... there's a lot more to do in the game to earn gold.. and buy stuffs that you need... but of course I admit that if you really want to be strong by having a good gear in the game you need to sacrifice and buy in the IM... but it's all depends on you..

• uhjpaeuhjpae Member Posts: 165

You just have to know the whereabouts, what to do and the what nots in the game. If you have enough game knowledge the rest will be easy. ^^

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

My main is level 120, my other mercs are between 108-117.

I have never used the Item Mall, I have a armed raptor mount, set of clothes, and a kitty bag which I bought with in game gold.  Even before I had the Kitty Bag which I just got recently I was in Division 1-2.

The only people you aren't gonna beat are the ones who have been playing twice as long as you have or longer.   Don't expect to beat someone in +10 eq with lvl 126+ mercs in his formation, but still it is possible.

The OP is obviously very bad at Free League(PvP) and feels he needs to expel his teen angst by trying to push away newcomers to the game.

Try it for yourself, it's a free game despite what others may say.  I've been playing CASUALLY for about 9 months now.

The only thing Item Mall does is speed up leveling/maxing out your mercs, thats it, everything from the Item Mall is sold by people who use it(to help them make gold), though expensive it is still possible to get the items.

Ontop of that unlike other Item Mall games, the majority of IM items last forever, they don't expire after 1 week or 1 month.

Atlantica is the best free MMORPG out there.

And you should also go to youtube and search for Atlantica Online TROY, its a new battle-system they are implementing next year.

Originally posted by uhjpae

You just have to know the whereabouts, what to do and the what nots in the game. If you have enough game knowledge the rest will be easy. ^^

Agree to this....

I know someone, who still have an Old school build, no Pirate,spartan, minstrel and other new mercs, but still he can compete ans win in Div. 1? he don't own a +10 gears and equips.. but still he can survive >.< still all depends on your strategy on how to deal with the treans in the game.

Originally posted by uhjpae

Agree to this....

I know someone, who still have an Old school build, no Pirate,spartan, minstrel and other new mercs, but still he can compete ans win in Div. 1? he don't own a +10 gears and equips.. but still he can survive >.< still all depends on your strategy on how to deal with the trends in the game.

• zword97zword97 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Drolkin

And you should also go to youtube and search for Atlantica Online TROY, its a new battle-system they are implementing next year.

Looks to me like they just ripped off the battle system from FFTA...

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

None of the top pvpers even spend money on item mall.

Think about it, a single +10 weapon cost 300$ real money to buy.  That means to be a Titan champion contender you need to spend about 5000$ real money.  Do you really think all the division 1 player spend 5000$ on item mall?

The reality is none of the top players even spend money on item mall.  They farm their own money to buy from people that use item mall.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by laokoko

Think about it, a single +10 weapon cost 300$ real money to buy.  That means to be a Titan champion contender you need to spend about 5000$ real money.  Do you really think all the division 1 player spend 5000$ on item mall?
    The reality is none of the top players even spend money on item mall.  They farm their own money to buy from people that use item mall.

Iv seen people spend $100s a week on item malls, some people have deep pocket.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

I've never played the game but if I understand correctly you are saying that you get to play to about level 100 (out of 120 I think) and then to be competitive you feel you have to pay $15 a month in the store?

Sounds like a good deal to me. P2P games won't let you step out the door until you bought the client for $50 and then pony up $15 a month no matter what your level.

Of course Atlantica incentivises paying at upper levels... someone has to foot the bill. Sounds fair enough that a) they let you get to the point on their dime and b) that you can still get it all without it if you care to put in the time.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

Iv seen people spend $100s a week on item malls, some people have deep pocket.

Without a doubt.  I shouldn't say none of the top pvpers use item mall.  Just saying majority don't.

Without a doubt.  I shouldn't say none of the top pvpers use item mall.  Just saying majority don't.
    I'd even say a minority, in particular the "new" top pvpers.
    It becomes harder and harder to catch up the best players, the situation isn't the same (at all) for people who started +6 months ago, and beginners.

• lm8darklm8dark Member Posts: 281

I kinda agree with muwing. It's hard to catch up with long time players, but the same goes with other mmos both p2p or f2p. you don't expect a new player who just plays within a month to be in the top ranks... it's always an uphill struggle. ^^

• ElykDrawElykDraw Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 20

So I've been lurking here for maybe two years(?), but I felt the need to post after reading this thread.  It may or may not be helpful.

I played AO for several months (axe to 110, then remade chainsaw to 8x).  It had a great community, and I enjoyed the game, but I left for one reason:

Balance changes!  It seemed like every patch fundamentally shifted which mercs/champs were strong/weak.  I enjoyed FreeLeague (pvp), so I would grab a new merc and level it up, only to have it obsolete after the next patch.  I remade the chainsaw when, surprise, all physical damage was nerfed.  (After I stopped playing, I checked in a few months later and physical damage looked to be a bit better).  Anyway, you get the idea.

While I enjoyed the game, it became thoroughly frustrating to have your strategy ruined at random with nerf bats.  Have things become more stable?  I don't mind meta games in the community, I'm just wondering about developer-driven changes.  Thanks.

Originally posted by ElykDraw
    While I enjoyed the game, it became thoroughly frustrating to have your strategy ruined at random with nerf bats.  Have things become more stable?  I don't mind meta games in the community, I'm just wondering about developer-driven changes.  Thanks.
    Short answer: no.

Each important patch (every 2-3 months), some adjustments are made.

A good way to deal with these changes is to build a "balanced" and versatile formation, with about 3 melees, 3 ranges and 3 staves. Classic formations with 2 monks, viking, spartan, inventor, exorcist, main (musician or staff) are working fine for a long time, but there are only 2 spots left for originality.

Specialized builds (heavy melee, spike, AoE, stun) are too dependent on the settings, and very risky if you're looking for long-term PvP formation.

• ElykDrawElykDraw Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 20

Thanks for the response - it is still as I feared.  It's a shame, too, bc it is a good game - particularly the pvp.

I'll check back in another 6 months!