Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who HATES dragon age?

Comments

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by metalhead980

Originally posted by Pryetta

Originally posted by altairzq

Just installed it, played for one hour. Uninstalling now.
    Reasons: Ugly characters. Boring cliche history. Absurdly long dialogues. Not running too smooth in my Pc (2 and a half years old, sorry), boring combat, not too friendly interface. Overall feels like a burden to move around.

It is not for everyone. Don't see how the characters are ugly, they are very crisp, clean looking on my pc...It tells a story, I think the history and the dialogue is great, it is a story and that is how an rpg should be.

No? I'd say they are the most disgusting characters I've seen, with almost photorealistic textures. Also the dog is horrible. Also photorealistic hair that feels pasted on the background.

And what about the grey theeth they all have? Yuk.

If you like the story, ok, I just know the begining and it's the same story all over again, don't know if it gets more interesting later but it sure didn't catch me.

Grey teeth??? Whaaaaa??? I see white teeth, I think it is your computers, I love the dog...he is kinda huge but I love him, what a little love bug! He is suppose to be a war dog, not fluffy. I see nothing wrong with the hair or the characters or the textures.

What same story? From where??? You get to know your party, people, all sorts of things. You get to become close, they are like a family. Everything you do in the game effects what happens later on and what happens to your party. Each race has their own origin. Human Noble, Dalish Elf, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner, Magi, Dwarf Noble..I believe that see that also effects on how you will play as the certain character. It is great fun, it is very interesting, a story makes the rpg...without a story you got nothing, just battling. Battling makes the game, without battles you got a novel.

Ill give the haters this much, DA:O graphics while good certainly let me down. I was expecting Mass Effect quality and I got something slightly better than Jade Empire.

Still graphics aren't everything and I'm sure Mass Effect 2 will give me that bleeding edge graphics fix I need.

Oh one more gripe, after playing ME why wasn't my character fully voiced in the conversations with NPCs? Did they run out of funding? same goes for the codex? Voice overs in codex and convos puled me into ME and would have done wonders in DA:O.

Other than that I think DA is wonderful. IF i gave it a rating it would have gotten a 9/10 while ME deserves an 11 and game of a lifetime awards lol.

Bioware stumbled just a bit with this game but not by much.

They toned down the graphics just so they could easily port it to the XBOX 360 and PS3...but why would you be voiced? It is your own work...I really haven't seen a made character voiced other than in Guild Wars and that is barely, most of the time you just nod your head. In ME, he/she is really pre-made and only need 2 voices. Now if we get into how many voices we needed just to voice our characters, each is unique, it be nice but a lot..especially with each role and how you would act. I don't even think you had a voice in Fable 2...

I know it would have been work but the game would have been so much better with it.

All they needed to do was give each race two voices one for male and the other for female with a good voice actor like in ME and it would have been golden.

Honestly I don't even notice DA voices during combat I would rather it been more cinematic like ME.

Well, it would of been nice. I'd do it for free, haven't done voice acting for years XD but I would of done it....I think it would of made the game even better than it already is but I also believe they should of revamped the game just for PC players, made it look better. I mean...it doesn't have to look like it does just because the 360 can't handle it or the PS3(though I doubt the PS3 couldn't), but I mean I don't see grey teeth on my characters or any characters..and it doesn't look like crap but it could of been better even if it was just for the PC players because they pushed the PC players aside to make the console people happy(got nothing wrong with consoles I happen to own 3 XBOX 360s, a PS3, and a Wii...lol).

Developers will need to push the 360 and Ps3 harder, we wont see new consoles for atleast four years.

As long as Developers like Bethesda and Bioware want to make money they will have to work extra hard to get more out of these consoles. Need to use some console developer wizardry. It can be done we've seen it in other console generations.

Thank god...I just got caught up with all the new consoles..but no really. I can understand that but it is kicking the pc players in the balls when they  tone it down to make it easier to port to consoles.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Developers will need to push the 360 and Ps3 harder, we wont see new consoles for atleast four years.
    As long as Developers like Bethesda and Bioware want to make money they will have to work extra hard to get more out of these consoles. Need to use some console developer wizardry. It can be done we've seen it in other console generations.

Thank god...I just got caught up with all the new consoles..but no really. I can understand that but it is kicking the pc players in the balls when they  tone it down to make it easier to port to consoles.

Well PC tech is moving so fast. It's impossible to keep up.

I have no problem if single players games stay Mass effect, Assassin's creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 graphic quality for another couple years.

PC gamers will need to chill and realize their shit is way too overpowered lol.

Oh if you've seen trailers for games like Darkvoid, Mass effect 2 and Bioshock 2 you see that the consoles aren't at their limit those games look much better than anything out right now.

So there's hope.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

I thought the toolkit was just to make like quests or something...oh well, I should download it.

No, you can practically do what you want with it. Here is the Key Features listed.

* Create New Adventures – Forge your own environments from your imagination, or use the rich set of Dragon Age locations and artwork as starting blocks to build new, original campaigns, quests, or cut-scenes.

* Stage Massive Battles – Test your might in battle by fully customizing the combat and creature AI, allowing you to create detailed action sequences full of heart-pounding warfare.

* Be the Director - Create your own stories with the powerful cinematics editor that offers full control of the camera, voice and lip syncing tools, and a full character creator.

* Content Creator's Community – Join the BioWare Social Network where you can easily find tutorials, share content, chat with other creators, and get content updates for the toolset.

It's also not limited to just these. If you're capable of making it then do so. I would also give some of the texture mods some time, they're a bit buggy for the moment.

• PryettaPryetta Member UncommonPosts: 260

Well PC tech is moving so fast. It's impossible to keep up.

I have no problem if single players games stay Mass effect, Assassin's creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 graphic quality for another couple years.

PC gamers will need to chill and realize their shit is way too overpowered lol.

Oh if you've seen trailers for games like Darkvoid, Mass effect 2 and Bioshock 2 you see that the consoles aren't at their limit those games look much better than anything out right now.

So there's hope.

We can hope...Bioware made Mass Effect look amazing but then Dragon Age: Origins...wasn't so great looking. If Liliana looked like she did in the trailer....omg...and Morgann lol

• RuwinRuwin Member Posts: 89

The game was awesome...

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

I just out out of Ostagar and I am loving the game so far. However, I dont think your along. The game isnt 100% perfect, espcially when I have to pause a lot.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Okay I gota say this, who the heck thinks elder scrolls was freedom of play? Yes you could side mission to hell and back but all the storeline quests were in one long line. At least DA:O let you pick where you go first.

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342

I have mixed feelings about the game.

The Good / Ok

Graphics-  I thought they were fine.  They weren't that great but it never really took away from the game (although the camera should be further back during dialogues).

Dialogue- I always enjoy fully voiced conversations in games.  Without this I tend to just skip much of the story.

Story- I know it's cliche and has been done a thousand times before, but I'm ok with that.  I was expecting a medieval fantasy story, and that was exactly what I got.

The Not so Good

Loot- I know this isn't a loot based game, but still, come on.  Maybe it's just because I like huge variety in loot but I felt it was seriously lacking in this game.  I'm not saying there isn't alot of loot, I'm just saying it's all the same god damn thing.  Theres 20 different versions for every type of armour which look exactly the same except the shade of colour changes.  If you don't believe me try to put on some leather armour and then some studded leather armour or something.  One is like brown and the other is slightly darker brown...... come on!!!  With only 3 different body types and no body customisation this just seems lazy to me.

Leveling- I'm not a fan of having so few levels.  It just doesnt seem like you have pregressed very far when you only level up like 15-20 times throughout the entire game.

Skill points etc. - I felt like I had no customization at all.  Want to be a 2 handed warrior?  Well then your path is set, just pick all the damn 2 handed skills.  It just felt so dumbed down to me.

Linearity - I'm not a fan of teleporting to different sections of the world, I much prefer an pen world like the Elder Scrolls games. This does just get you to the action faster, but it really kills exploration, which can be some of the most rewarding time spent playing.

The party - I don't like contolling the entire party as you fight, I never have and I never will.   I much prefer just building 1 hero at a time.  It's different if at certain points you have assistance but I don't like it throughout the entire game.  It wouldn't have been so bad if you could customize your party members, but you are pretty much required to have Sten as 2 handed, Wynee as a healer and so on.  If you try to change them all you do is gimp the hell out of them.

Combat -  I didn't mind it at first, and then you slowly have to micro manage more and more.  It's just not fun for me. I spent more time with the game paused then with it playing.  It just slows down the pace too much.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Just installed it, played for one hour. Uninstalling now.
    Reasons: Ugly characters. Boring cliche history. Absurdly long dialogues. Not running too smooth in my Pc (2 and a half years old, sorry), boring combat, not too friendly interface. Overall feels like a burden to move around.

It is not for everyone. Don't see how the characters are ugly, they are very crisp, clean looking on my pc...It tells a story, I think the history and the dialogue is great, it is a story and that is how an rpg should be.

No? I'd say they are the most disgusting characters I've seen, with almost photorealistic textures. Also the dog is horrible. Also photorealistic hair that feels pasted on the background.

And what about the grey theeth they all have? Yuk.

If you like the story, ok, I just know the begining and it's the same story all over again, don't know if it gets more interesting later but it sure didn't catch me.

Grey teeth??? Whaaaaa??? I see white teeth, I think it is your computers, I love the dog...he is kinda huge but I love him, what a little love bug! He is suppose to be a war dog, not fluffy. I see nothing wrong with the hair or the characters or the textures.

What same story? From where??? You get to know your party, people, all sorts of things. You get to become close, they are like a family. Everything you do in the game effects what happens later on and what happens to your party. Each race has their own origin. Human Noble, Dalish Elf, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner, Magi, Dwarf Noble..I believe that see that also effects on how you will play as the certain character. It is great fun, it is very interesting, a story makes the rpg...without a story you got nothing, just battling. Battling makes the game, without battles you got a novel.

Wish I still had the game installed to take a screenshot of the teeth I see and the ugly face of that dog. So you say it's my computer? Maybe I had it too dark, but anyway, white is white.. I saw teeth with dark grey edges, looking rotten, disgusting.

Same story, parents dead, betrayal, you left alone to defend blah blah blah. Classic Star Wars for instance starts this way. Again, if it gets more interesting later I don't know.

And what is that about elfs being slaves? How on earth can a human enslave an elf? FFS.

Originally posted by Ragnaven

Okay I gota say this, who the heck thinks elder scrolls was freedom of play? Yes you could side mission to hell and back but all the storeline quests were in one long line. At least DA:O let you pick where you go first.

The freedom in Oblivion was the option not to even do the storylines.

You could just explore, join guilds, be a gladiator, run the shivering isles content, knights of the nine or any other content or none at all.

The freedom i spretty obvious, Elderscrolls games have always been about the stuff besides the main storyline.

In DA you have a choice when it comes to the story but not much else.

Both fantastic games imo.

Originally posted by Squitty

The Good / Ok

Graphics-  I thought they were fine.  They weren't that great but it never really took away from the game (although the camera should be further back during dialogues).
    Dialogue- I always enjoy fully voiced conversations in games.  Without this I tend to just skip much of the story.

Story- I know it's cliche and has been done a thousand times before, but I'm ok with that.  I was expecting a medieval fantasy story, and that was exactly what I got.

The Not so Good
    Loot- I know this isn't a loot based game, but still, come on.  Maybe it's just because I like huge variety in loot but I felt it was seriously lacking in this game.  I'm not saying there isn't alot of loot, I'm just saying it's all the same god damn thing.  Theres 20 different versions for every type of armour which look exactly the same except the shade of colour changes.  If you don't believe me try to put on some leather armour and then some studded leather armour or something.  One is like brown and the other is slightly darker brown...... come on!!!  With only 3 different body types and no body customisation this just seems lazy to me.
    Leveling- I'm not a fan of having so few levels.  It just doesnt seem like you have pregressed very far when you only level up like 15-20 times throughout the entire game.
    Skill points etc. - I felt like I had no customization at all.  Want to be a 2 handed warrior?  Well then your path is set, just pick all the damn 2 handed skills.  It just felt so dumbed down to me.

Linearity - I'm not a fan of teleporting to different sections of the world, I much prefer an pen world like the Elder Scrolls games. This does just get you to the action faster, but it really kills exploration, which can be some of the most rewarding time spent playing.
    The party - I don't like contolling the entire party as you fight, I never have and I never will.   I much prefer just building 1 hero at a time.  It's different if at certain points you have assistance but I don't like it throughout the entire game.  It wouldn't have been so bad if you could customize your party members, but you are pretty much required to have Sten as 2 handed, Wynee as a healer and so on.  If you try to change them all you do is gimp the hell out of them.
    Combat -  I didn't mind it at first, and then you slowly have to micro manage more and more.  It's just not fun for me. I spent more time with the game paused then with it playing.  It just slows down the pace too much.

LOL This is like somone serving you a glass of cola and complaining its not whiskey.

Seriously? Did you bother reading up on the game before buying? have you ever played a bioware rpg?

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

I hate Dragon Age. Was the biggest waste of cap ever. Glad I didn't buy! Sucks for those that did. Need to learn that anything that is made of 1s and 0s can be free!

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

So generally reading most of the posts above: DA sucks, ME sucks, NWN sucks, The Witcher sucks, Risen sucks, Fallout 3 sucks...

Jeez... If you dont like the game STFU and GTFO. These RPGs sold well, were great and no MMORPG can even lick their heels in terms of fun and gameplay.

If DA is not your game, go and have fun with mindless WoW grind, there you have a variety of loot, mobs, big world and all your questing, raiding will have absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever, your loot will be the very same as for other 11 million people and all you will change is your monthly bank balance.

Originally posted by majinant

I hate Dragon Age. Was the biggest waste of cap ever. Glad I didn't buy! Sucks for those that did. Need to learn that anything that is made of 1s and 0s can be free!

It was worth paying for.

But yeah bro, bragging about pirating games, that makes you awesome. Why even mention it?

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

Yeah, let's pirate everything then complain about bad PC ports or no ports.

And no, it's not a crap game. There are plenty of RPGs, JRPGs or WRPGs out there, good for any type of playstyle. This is just not your playstyle.

Originally posted by greed0104

It was worth paying for.

But yeah bro, bragging about pirating games, that makes you awesome. Why even mention it?

Wish I was a priate. Would be awesome. Aye Aye me hearty.

Originally posted by triprunner

So generally reading most of the posts above: DA sucks, ME sucks, NWN sucks, The Witcher sucks, Risen sucks, Fallout 3 sucks...
    Jeez... If you dont like the game STFU and GTFO. These RPGs sold well, were great and no MMORPG can even lick their heels in terms of fun and gameplay.
    If DA is not your game, go and have fun with mindless WoW grind, there you have a variety of loot, mobs, big world and all your questing, raiding will have absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever, your loot will be the very same as for other 11 million people and all you will change is your monthly bank balance.

Just shows you how messed up the community is on this forum. Always so far from reality.

All of those games rocked and offered a different gameplay experience. Also I don;t know how anyone could say Kotor II and Nwn 2 sucked. IT seems if a rpg isn;t as good as the ones that came before it they suck. Shit..... Stack kotor 2 against another rpg from that time and its clearly awesome and Nwn2 second expansion made that game fucking awesome.

This is just my opinion, I'm one of those dudes that thought Two Worlds deserved a 9/10 instead of a 4 lol. Game was bloody epic in scope yet everyone just focused on the shitty voice acting and performance issues on the 360.

Or you could get a job.

Or you could get a job.

Funny that you say that. I am currently looking for one for the summer holidays as study is over for the year.

Or you could get a job.

Funny that you say that. I am currently looking for one for the summer holidays as study is over for the year.

Some games are only worth pirating, but DA:O was one of the better pc games in years. BioWare is one of the only companies to not shaft the PC gamer. Not supporting them is a foolish mistake imo.

Or you could get a job.

Ahh, Your just a college newb?

Shit no wonder you pirate games, 60 bucks a pop and there's hundreds of games out a year.

I did the same shit when I was a kid I just hope when you become an adult you don't continue being a thief.

Hell... I don't even pirate music anymore. Just buy them off itunes.

I have to set an example for my kids.

• enjoenjo Member UncommonPosts: 8

I liked it at first but after playing a week it started getting boring. I don't know why but it seems I'm not the only one my friends from school said the same thing and he got the game the same day I did so we each played nearly the same amount of time

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

That's a great and mature way to promote software companies that provide quality product. By quality I mean low in bugs, high in enjoyment.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Squitty

The Good / Ok

The Not so Good
    Next time Bioware makes a game, ask them to make frogs drops breatplates. Also in terms of armor looks, the game was a little on the realistic side on this feature. Leather armor is leather armor, the differences were subtle but they were there. The diversity was more on the weapons, which is logical.
    I made a rogue and I diversified with the skill points, not because you got 12 skills in the two handed tree that you have to take them all, and there is nothing restricting you from taking the other warrior skills which would also work greatly with two handed skills. You are the one restricting yourself by just choosing these skills. The skills I combined to my rogue worked perfectly and he was killer. Don't complain about a feature that you don't know how to use.

There was still a lot of exploration to be done, lots of hidden stuff in the maps, lots of events that were only unlocked by doing certain things, and that is part of the exploration process. The random encounters between maps were also important, especially those triggered by your decisions. It is not less exploration, it is a different form of exploration.
    Completely false. You can still customize all your characters, yes you will be losing some skill points, but not enough to gimp your toons. You can also download an add-on directly on http://social.bioware.com that lets you reset the characters skill points, that way you can spec them the way you want. Also while I played I rarely controlled my whole party except in really tough fights, like dragons and wars. If you setup each characters gambits right, then you will have no problem whatsoever. Everytime I got a new character and the character got new slots open I would take the time to set them up. And all my characters were doing the things they were supposed to be doing them without me taking their hands.
    All I have to say is this is an old school style RPG with a twist, this is the genre. It is all about decisions, decisions and decisions. You got to strategise, if you don't know how or don't want to do it, then you won't enjoy this game. It's like if I went out, bought NFL 2010 and then complained about how I don't like to control the players.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

My personal rec for this year:

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis

Borderlands (Well it's kind of an rpg..)

Risen

Will probably try DAO at some point but the gameplay videos don't realy impress me.