Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only 20 Levels?!?!

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I really don't see what it matters. The time it takes to get to max level, sure that matters but if a game have 15 levels (like R.I.F.T.S) or a 100, the only thing it matters is that it makes it harder to find a group.

It is all EQs fault, we don't need that many levels. Heck, we would be fine with 5 levels and some achievement points that you can respec with that you get for doing certain things.

20 levels is a well balanced and tried out system, the reason most MMOs is having more is to create a false sense of achievement and to make expansions easier to sell and make (we just add 10 more levels and a few zones, that is enough for people to buy it).

Does it really matters to you if you level more often? your character will look the same at max anyways, the only advantage with many levels is that new players will have to learn less abilities at the same time but it cost a lot both for PvP and group play.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

actually the game has 100 levels....
    every level has 5 ranks, and at every rank you get some minor abbility....  At the main levels you get major things. so all in all there are 100 ranks.

The game has 20 levels, as far as grouping is concerned. Which is really the point I was trying to make. The game's design, intended or not, has allowed them a deeper pool of folk whom a player can group with.

What's more, you're not necessarily constrained by the Tank/DPS/Healer dynamic, either, I've found. It's far more tactical.

It, as probably everyone knows by now, is based on D20 DnD rules, rather than your standard MMO rules.  This has been both its blessing and its curse, as it's a bit more challenging to build for your role.

The system also lacks the traditional MMO bell curve for rolling to hit and/or resisting harmful effects.  In most MMO's you hit almost every time and do roughly the same damage each time, while in DnD you can miss often and do small or big damage.  Damage output can be measured reliably while in DnD this isn't the case.  A sword in an MMO may do 4 to 7 damage, whereas a sword in DnD does 1-8.

This makes combat much less predictable, again, for better or worse, depending on which is your preference.

I'd recommend DDO to folks.  Heck, it's free to try much of the content.  But don't expect it to play like most MMO's. 

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

actually the game has 100 levels....
    every level has 5 ranks, and at every rank you get some minor abbility....  At the main levels you get major things. so all in all there are 100 ranks.

The game has 20 levels, as far as grouping is concerned. Which is really the point I was trying to make. The game's design, intended or not, has allowed them a deeper pool of folk whom a player can group with.

What's more, you're not necessarily constrained by the Tank/DPS/Healer dynamic, either, I've found. It's far more tactical.

It, as probably everyone knows by now, is based on D20 DnD rules, rather than your standard MMO rules.  This has been both its blessing and its curse, as it's a bit more challenging to build for your role.

The system also lacks the traditional MMO bell curve for rolling to hit and/or resisting harmful effects.  In most MMO's you hit almost every time and do roughly the same damage each time, while in DnD you can miss often and do small or big damage.  Damage output can be measured reliably while in DnD this isn't the case.  A sword in an MMO may do 4 to 7 damage, whereas a sword in DnD does 1-8.

This makes combat much less predictable, again, for better or worse, depending on which is your preference.

I'd recommend DDO to folks.  Heck, it's free to try much of the content.  But don't expect it to play like most MMO's. 

Agree 100%.

If you are looking for a mindless hack slash, this is not the game for you. I have been playing this game for a while and I still have not got everything down pat.

If you’re looking for the type of game where you go out, kill a pig and get some exp. it doesn't work that way. Exp is objective based. You can go through a Dungeon, Not kill a thing, and as long as you do the objective, you will get the same exp as if you went through and killed everything. You play with smarts, not muscle

• BioturnBioturn Member Posts: 20

Half of these comments by you guys actually made me giddy. Though that idiot, Wizardry, you really don't understand what they were trying to do, and how long this game has been out for. Like, the graphics are better than that sorry excuse for an MMO, WoW, so don't complain about the graphics. And really, when trying to bash a game, you have to give more concrete evidence than idle comments of your own. That way it gives us, the knowledgeable players, a real chance to knock out your rant.

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    that's before you realize that you need ~3,900,000 xp to reach level 20 after a certain amount of time.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    You must be a Necro!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    what's a necro?
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    A necro is someone that posts on old long dead threads, like this one.. which was made 10 years ago.... 10 years ago was it's last post.

In fact this post is so old.. DDO now has 30 levels, not 20.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.