Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Game(s) Got You Started?

Comments

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Had the original Nintendo back in the eighties, so that's what started me off with gaming. Guess the text-based h2g2 is my first RPG :) Got a computer in the early nineties to play Civilization, and the first RPG with graphics I can recall is Ultima VI.

• McklezMcklez Member Posts: 6

Haha, I understand where you're coming from but what's the point of not taking time to write on a forum. That's why they still exist, for people who don't want to hold back on the detail of comments just to fit it in an im or chat field.

No point getting mad about it though. Just food for thought.

Besides I have goals which entail a college education, if i start shorthanding everything to make it quicker to read that's gonna be a lot of D's and F's or effort to break that habit before i can get enrolled.

I don't see a point in taking offense to it,though I do think you should learn a bit of restraint or redirect your ideals into something that doesn't require you to deal with random people(No offense intended but odds are you are stressed out if you are trying to turn everything into a major debate.)

Can't be arsed to pretend I am sorry for being more social than you or whatever but I don't hold your opinion against you either.

Just redirect it to someone else cause I happen to be in a good mood this morning.

• fodkufodku Member Posts: 5

The very first game I have played was Super Mario 3 on the NES. For online games, my first was Ragnarok Online.

• kuddikuddi Member Posts: 5

I started with megaman/rockman on the family computer. I also played it when it was released in the Super Nes and Playstation. One of the best games ever! m/

• ruud666ruud666 Member Posts: 22

started with Xenogears on PS1, and i never found another RPG games that can matched Xenogears storyline.........!!!!

• lappoplappop Member Posts: 5

I started with sonic the hedgehog on sega then final fantasy on playstation.

• alecbralecbr Member Posts: 64

I started very late - some year ago with Oblivion (I'm 41 years old). I played only racing games and FPS. Then my girlfriend bought Oblivion. I thought that it was a stupid RP fantasy game. I don't like fantasy and I didn't like RP games. But I tried and was blown away. I played it for around 350 hours.

Then I was looking for similar games and found that there are MMORPGs. Of course my first MMORPG was WOW. I was quickly bored so I tried also EVE, LOTRO, AoC and Vanguard. After one year I was left frustrated. Every MMORPG that I played bored me to death.

Now I'm thinking to go back to Oblivion and play it again from the beginning. I'm still looking forward to Mortal Online and in the next days I will try "A tale in the desert". 

• Rimsky1Rimsky1 Member Posts: 1

I started playing when the old Sierra games were coming out; series like King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and Space Quest. :)

Fun times!

Rim

• EkhnatonEkhnaton Member Posts: 19

Bard's Tale and Eye of the Beholder 1 :P

• NeoWolf73NeoWolf73 Member UncommonPosts: 29

oo.. tough one

First Game that got me into computers/consoles was probably Pac Man as I predate personal computers and consoles entirely lol  when I was a wee lad arcades were the ONLy places you could play games of any sort... and Pac Man, Space Invaders and later Defender were the three games that I use to spend a fair bit of time playing.

PC gaming I guess Wing Commander, Elite, xcoms, the old SSI RPGs were all responsibl;e for my addicitons down the line

Console gaming, well once they were out I guess the Final Fantasy games had me hook line and sinker conole wise..

Pen and Paperwise.. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition and Gamma World were the two that first started me PnP Rp;ing almost thirty years ago.  TSR got every spare penny i could muster back then.

Sci Fi and Fantasy in general.. Star Wars the movies, and Tolkien, Lewis and Gemmel the authors pretty much got me fiaxted on all things fnatasy and Sci Fi. 

First MMO for me was Ultima Online.. then later RF online and WoW.. and many others (mostly not very good as far as what im looking for from an MMO, few exceptions) since.

• red_shirtred_shirt Member Posts: 2

I started to RP In WoW. I particularely liked the Horde side of the game and stay away from the overly too crowded Alliance. It is more challenging due to the lower pop but the players are more seasoned.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Video Gaming in general: pong

MMOs: Some Star Trek mud.

• AladyleynaAladyleyna Member Posts: 269

I used to roleplay before, but normally on internet forums. I don't really consider myself a seasoned roleplayer though, because normally on those forums, I would tend to lose interest in the storyline because I would have to keep waiting for people to continue, and sometimes it would be a case of too many people or too little people.

The game that really got me addicted to roleplaying though, was Second Life (and yes, I would probably get flamed for even mentioning it, but ah well, at least I'm being honest here), and particularly, the Gor sims. I grew to love the idea of interacting with people, and manupilating either my toon or others to maintain a good storyline. In fact, the only reason why I would log into Second Life in the first place is to roleplay.

Unfortunately, even that got boring, because of the lack of combat. Combat on Second Life is pathetic compared to the games I've played, and no surprise really, because Second Life is barely used as a combat sim anyway. So yes, I've stopped roleplaying there. Until now, I'm still waiting for a good MMORPG that actually combines roleplaying with the combat; it's one thing to follow a storyline that is present in the game, it's another thing to have countless other storylines to follow, storylines that you've come up with by interacting with other people.

Main characters:
    Jinn Gone Quiet (Guild Wars)
    Princess Pudding (Guild Wars)

• AbotAbot Member Posts: 22

I started out with console gaming and some PC gaming (the beginnings was on an old DOS system only).  The first games that really got me going though were the final fantasy games love them.  I also really got into the Zelda games when I was younger.  As far as MMOs go though it was Star Wars Galaxies that got me hooked.

• dzajkodzajko Member Posts: 2

my first rpg game was final fantasy 2 for super nintendo i still play it today  the final fantasy series got me interested in rpgs no i play 9 dragons, wow, and i am waiting for starwars the old republick to come i cant wait

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

I've always been a fan of RPGs since I played them on my PlayStation as a teen but what really got me hooked was the Final Fantsay series and Zelda series.  The first ever MMORPG I played was Final Fantasy XI and since then I've had the hunger to play almost any MMO I can get my hands on.  I also play table top games and pen and paper games such as D&D, Warhammer, etc.

imageimage

• joshdaaznjoshdaazn Member Posts: 27

It is funny how a good amount of people on this thread said D&D and console gaming, mostly Atari. Those were the first "games", you could say, to come out. It's interesting how addicting things can be, over 20years of gaming! =P

I've never played D&D or an Atari.

But i'm pretty young, so the first computer game that got me started was Pristontale, back in 2000 or 2001.

The first game systems I played was Super Nintendo and the Sega.

Now i've played, or tried, games such as WoW, Guild Wars, ROSE, Maplestory, Gunz, ZU, etc. I could go on and on. =D

And as of consoles, I have a Xbox360.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

When I was about 12 (now in my 40s) I had a pretty severe injury and was laid up for months. During that time my Mom, who knew I loved Fantasy stuff and picked up a the old brown box set of Dungeons and Dragons.

My friends and I played and played like crazy. It was great and set me on the path of being a gamer until I am too old to move the mouse or controller.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

First Video game: Pong

First Rpg: Dungeons and Dragons

First Rpg Video Game:  Dragonstomper....a game that was for Atari 2600..but with the Use of the Arcadia Supercharger...which was an adapter that added RAM and a mini Operating system. The game had  adjustable stats and looting ..from what I remember. I know the Odyssey II had a Lord Of the Rings game and Intellivision had an AD&D game but I don't know how much they resembled an rpg. Once I obtained a Commodore 64...I played a slew of rpgs....all the AD&D boxes...Bards Tale ..Wasteland....Sword of Fargoal and Temple of Asphaii...(both games on a cassette tape)...and many , many, many more every since on various consoles and PCs.

• PumpkinheroPumpkinhero Member Posts: 23

Redmoon Online and Ragnarok Online while it was in like Alpha/Beta test.

• ShalandarShalandar Member Posts: 51

Wow, I hadn't thought of this in awhile.  A friend introduced me to Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP) when I was living in Germany in the 80's.  I think it was published by I.C.E.   Best pen and paper rp period.  Everything was based on d100 (percent) and it wasn't about hps.  I could for instance hit an orc (or be hit by an orc) with an arrow which-depending on the roll, be a shot through the throat or eye (insta-kill), or if it was a terrible roll, fumble my shot so badly, shoot myself in the foot and damage my bow beyond repair in the process.  I believe one fumble was 'you fumble so badly creature loses one turn laughing at you.' 

My first game on console was Final Fantasy on Nintendo.  It hooked me hard.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

drakar och demonr (the swedish version of D&D) was the first game I ever tried.

I played it first with my cousine when I were around 10. He blew my mind with his epic tail about a human magican that had to venture into a tower to find a amulete. I remember that we didnt finish, but I do remember that I couldnt sleep that night becuse my imagenation was running while :) Some years later me and my friends in high school played the D&D, Eon and Mutant every weekend.  Good ol days that I miss sometimes.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• haelikothhaelikoth Member Posts: 116

for tabletop pen and paper RPGs, i started with D&D when i was in fourth grade. didnt get into much at that time tho. when i entered college a friend of mine ran a Vampire: The Dark Ages game and thats when i got hooked.

for RP over the net, in chatrooms and stuff, i started around highschool. it was simply out of curiosity.

• arjun1991arjun1991 Member UncommonPosts: 30

I started gaming on my Little master 2 from media. Those 8 bit games. My first RPG was Final Fantasy 7 on the psp , or runescape...

I still have the ROMs for all the nes games I used to play , i'll have to look for them soon.

My MMORPG playing's reduced since I came to college cause I have to connect from behind a college proxy, so that automatically rules out most of the games which have Gameguard or hackshield...

• kittyvonkitakittyvonkita Member Posts: 75

Guild Wars. :] 4 years ago, haha.