Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 10 year old daughter's first impressions

ulthar50ulthar50 Member Posts: 47

I was talked into trying this beta by a friend. It actually seems pretty intriguing. In the sense that some of the classes are unique and have an interesting mechanic. I've spent no more than 15 minutes in it and am not weighing in one way or the other, but my 10 year old daughter spent nearly an hour this evening and pronounced her verdict. (She's playing gibberlings).

"Its better than Sims 3."

LOL

Comments

• tensspottingtensspotting Member Posts: 179

Best review Ive seen on MMORPG.com

Im not even trolling.

• DarkbleachDarkbleach Member Posts: 40

I agree 100%, this game is fun. Only real thing that bothers me is that gpatato might get greedy and put "leet" items in the CS

• SimielSimiel Member Posts: 149
    Originally posted by Darkbleach

I agree 100%, this game is fun. Only real thing that bothers me is that gpatato might get greedy and put "leet" items in the CS

that's so unexpected!

• ghaleonx128ghaleonx128 Member Posts: 145

I don't really have an exact idea about how involved gpotato is going to be, but as far as the russian version of the game, gpotato isn't involved.  And I think they're only hosting the servers...so hopefully they aren't influencing the game.

And really, so what if you had to spend 10 dollars a month on "stuff", or maybe even 5 dollars, who knows.  Cheaper still than a sub and tons more people will play, without people playing mmo's sort of die and no one new wants to join, so there is an added value in that some people might play the game soley from a social aspect.  There won't ever be a need for people to feel as though they have to leave, since no subscription..

• RautenRauten Member Posts: 38

Any game that manages to pull away a girl, specially if a child or teenage, away from the Sims, deserves praise.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by ulthar50

I was talked into trying this beta by a friend. It actually seems pretty intriguing. In the sense that some of the classes are unique and have an interesting mechanic. I've spent no more than 15 minutes in it and am not weighing in one way or the other, but my 10 year old daughter spent nearly an hour this evening and pronounced her verdict. (She's playing gibberlings).

"Its better than Sims 3."

LOL

Well the children have spoken lol. Our daughter is all excited about the game as well. She's 14 and is having a blast. She's an Elf. We're going to play with her when it launches so we have something to do as a family game wise. Nice way to kill a lazy afternoon. Me and the wife have both tried the beta and are fairly sold on the game. It's pretty good for a free to play. Fun, relatively casual and with it being f2p theres really no reason not to pick it up.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by tensspotting

Best review Ive seen on MMORPG.com

Im not even trolling.

Agreed.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Updating the game at the moment..

Already inserted the beta key onto my account, and cant wait to play.

I'm really afraid this will be like runes of magic, yet full of hope, since I'm sick of WoW, but cant find anything as addictive as it..

Any game that draws a 10 year old away from the sims should be praised at least a little bit :)

Great small review.

I haven't tried Runes of Magic, but this does feel a bit WoW-ish in certain aspects (races... specially the orcs and the Arisen). Gameplay is standard theme park MMO.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I don't know how to take that assessment of Allods, is SIM's 3 a good game?

• ulthar50ulthar50 Member Posts: 47

Replying to my own thread....

Having now played the beta I am stunned at how solid this game is. For the record, I intend on getting my daughter an account on launch so we may play together.

What stuns me is how a modest budget FTP game can be so much better than AAA games with major corporate backing (re: WAR, AoC and etc.) The game is pretty damn slick. Basically reminds me of a steampunk WoW. I have some issues I'd like to see changed, but on the whole its pretty slick. And on a FTP I am much more forgiving,

Most intriguing to me (and enjoyable) is the fact that it isn't a cookie-cutter WoW clone. The class mechanics seem very original and unique, which is very refreshing.

Long story short: a perfect game, no, but free to play and fun enough. Decent enough graphics, etc.

If there's one aspect of this game I REALLY enjoy, is their extention of the buyback system. You not only have access to a buyback list of the latest items you've given to a vendor, but you can also check gear that other players have sold to that NPC lately. Maybe it's nothing new, maybe other MMO did it before, I honestly don't know, all I know is, I LOVE it.

• ArnzenArnzen Member Posts: 10

The buyback system off of NPC vendors is a nice touch.  I've filled out my gear on my Mentalist without even going to the AH.  The added benefit of this is that it tends to keep the AH relatively free of crap gear...you don't have to navigate through a sea of cruddy greens to get to some of the better stuff.

If you're not into anything atm, and you tend to like the theme park games, so far this is a F2P I would recommend checking out.

If I'm not back in five minutes, just wait longer.

• Weezer_GeekWeezer_Geek Member Posts: 18

Very suprised this is going to be a FTP game. My kids would use their allowance to pay a monthly fee for this if they could, lol.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    Originally posted by Darkbleach

They allready have in a way. You can purchase treasure chests(which are also available in game) directly from the store. The better chests will give a good random item. The item is still random though as far as I know...but there is also a method of putting a rune on a chest....not sure what exactly that will do to the final item.

The one positive about the game is the fact you can litterally get anything in the game that you can buy in the item shop and I think it will be possible to sell the crystals which are the item shop currency for in game money. This means that for those who absolutely, positively do not want to spend a dime on the game can get to the same spot as someone who spends money in the item shop...it will simply take a lot more work.

The way I look at item shop games overall is what would I spend if this game was a sub game. I would spend $50 for the box and $15 a month for the sub. So if the game itself gives me the same level of enjoyment I would be willing to spend that $50 up front and $15 a month in the item shop to advance my character. On the other hand if am on the fence with the game I might not spend any money for a while or pace it out to say $5 a month.

The best I can say about this game is the fact the overall game experience is equal to most sub games I have seen. Still has some of what I personaly consider fatal flaws in game design..although others will prefer them.

One such flaw is quest leveling. You get approximately half your xps from completing quests and about 80 to 90% of the quests are designed as soloable quests. You can complete them in groups but it usually is the 10 minute temporary quest group style of play. As a result at any given time over half the population is soloing(probably closer to about %80 but no way to really know for sure). But the game is free so I will probably play it regardless.

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

I am very impressed with this game. Yes it is, surely, a WoW clone but man...this could be a P2P game I think. The graphics are amazing for the style. The game runs very smooth. I love how the races look, especially how the Undead and Orcs look, man I dig it. Audio is not too bad but I think the attack noises/spells/etc...need work; the background music is nice. Nice camera work, great response times. I think I might actually play this game and pay for the added content when it comes out. Again, this is defintiely a WoW clone but I am really digging it. Glad I tried the beta out. I am shocked at what this company has accomplished with this game. Thus far I like it better than Runes (especially the art style).

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Don't all games look/feel nearly the same at the low levels? As far as I know wow doesn't let you have a personal ship and go in space.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by ulthar50

Replying to my own thread....

Having now played the beta I am stunned at how solid this game is. For the record, I intend on getting my daughter an account on launch so we may play together.

What stuns me is how a modest budget FTP game can be so much better than AAA games with major corporate backing (re: WAR, AoC and etc.) The game is pretty damn slick. Basically reminds me of a steampunk WoW. I have some issues I'd like to see changed, but on the whole its pretty slick. And on a FTP I am much more forgiving,

Most intriguing to me (and enjoyable) is the fact that it isn't a cookie-cutter WoW clone. The class mechanics seem very original and unique, which is very refreshing.

Long story short: a perfect game, no, but free to play and fun enough. Decent enough graphics, etc.

It's not modest budget FTP so i am not surprised it's good game, but won't be surprised either when unbalanced cash shop releases which will force you to buy cash.