Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

November Dev Post

Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Head on over to www.citadelofsorcery.com/news/index.php and check out whats new .. Lots to come!

Cheers

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Man this game is like the dream game that's gonna shut up alot of people looking for something new. Everytime i read one of the logs, its like the devs reading my mind for the perfect game. Props to devs!

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

"The longer you play the more [of the 1,800+ abilities] you can get, but... no, we do not believe anyone can play long enough to get all 1,800+"

This is very intriguing, I must confess.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Leveling or ranks or whatever triggers the capability to choose another ability ,may be exponential in relation to rank/level or whatever..

If that is the case to get to a level/rank(or whatever term they use here ) , the associated XP required to rank may take years (real time). Exponential is normally used when reffering to possible but unlikely.

Nothing from a conceptual point is really that difficult, implimenting though is another matter we will see.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by Isane

Leveling or ranks or whatever triggers the capability to choose another ability ,may be exponential in relation to rank/level or whatever..
    If that is the case to get to a level/rank(or whatever term they use here ) , the associated XP required to rank may take years (real time). Exponential is normally used when reffering to possible but unlikely.
    Nothing from a conceptual point is really that difficult, implimenting though is another matter we will see.

Well, in the case of Citadel of Sorcery, the required XP to level does go up with each level gained, but so do the XP rewards from challenges at your current level.  Therefore, if you push your adventures to the edge of your capabilities, you should continue to level at a steady pace.  This will therefore not take years real time.  The point of our system is not for PCs to gain endless abilities, but instead to allow players to choose any abilities they wish and improve the Abilities they have chosen over time.  Still, there is no cap to the number of Abilities, nor to improving them, though you can run into diminishing returns. 

The point about it being unlikely that any player could get all of the Abilities just refers to the fact that it would take an extraordinary number of hours played to get that many Abilities, and so, it is unlikely.   We assume most players will end up with a MUCH smaller sub set, but they can choose from all of them since there are no ridged classes in our system.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Well the further along the game comes the more bits and pieces of the game are what I would design had I the budget and the skills to build my own MMO. Its not everything I want an MMO to be but every design decision is one I would make if I were to build the MMO you guys are striving to build.

My Ultimate MMO would be an open skill based system where you accumulate xps to buy skill levels( player "level" would be a kind of skill in itself with additions to hp/mana/whatever pools - wanted but not required to advance your character)....the more skills you buy the more expensive all skills become with the individual skill pools that you are advancing becoming expensive faster of course.

IE if you bought 100 points of sword the first point of elemental magic might cost 1.5 times as much as the first point of sword cost originally because you have spent 100 points allready.

In this system as in yours there would be no hard cap on any skill or the number of skills learned. They would simply become so expensive that after a while inertia slows down character development. This leaves room for the devs to slowly expand the upper end content which would give progressively higher xp rewards which could end up speeding character development back up a bit.

Not saying your system is exactly like this but from my viewpoint its close enough to make it interesting to see how it actually works out.

Cant wait to see what you guys can actually pull off from what you envision.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Jatar

Originally posted by Isane

Well, in the case of Citadel of Sorcery, the required XP to level does go up with each level gained, but so do the XP rewards from challenges at your current level.  Therefore, if you push your adventures to the edge of your capabilities, you should continue to level at a steady pace.  This will therefore not take years real time.  The point of our system is not for PCs to gain endless abilities, but instead to allow players to choose any abilities they wish and improve the Abilities they have chosen over time.  Still, there is no cap to the number of Abilities, nor to improving them, though you can run into diminishing returns. 

The point about it being unlikely that any player could get all of the Abilities just refers to the fact that it would take an extraordinary number of hours played to get that many Abilities, and so, it is unlikely.   We assume most players will end up with a MUCH smaller sub set, but they can choose from all of them since there are no ridged classes in our system.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.

This makes a lot of sense and , I always tend to pick skills and abilities I like the look of, so as long as there is steady choice and enhancements with progression that would suit ....

It's nice to speculate but from what I have heard here the game you are developing would suit me down to the ground so I am happy!!!!