Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing laaag?!

cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

Ok, so i decided to try out this game, since i got nothing better to do than wait for Allods CB2.

Anyways, no matter what server i pick i lag like shit, other players warps all over the place and my ping is 120+ on the EU server. On the US server its at 200-210.

I am playing with a friend from Sweden (I'm from Denmark) and we both see players warp around. Is it supposed to do that, is it server lag or is there some setting i haven't found yet to increase bandwith usage? - We both got 100/100 mbit and have no issue in other games.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Comments

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

I have the same ms/Ping times in the game playing in the US that you get. Sometimes it even spikes to 300 ms and my connection is pretty good as well. However I don't see any warping around

Make of that what you will but I would go the official forums and make a post under 'connection Issues' to see if you can get some better help there.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Strange, i dont have any warping issues.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

The game has always had lag and sony does not fix it, you either get used to it or find another game

• The game has suffered from bad fps and lag more than the common mmorpg, it is rarely an issue now, so stop with your doom and gloom. I suggest posting on the tech forum in vanguard, there are a lot of good tips and help to get for those who struggle with lag and fps. 

Yes it does suffer more than just about any other mmo from lag and hitching as you say, they have improved it a bit but not enough and if you read the forums you should know that is a reason why many people leave 

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

Just play WoW, why the heck bother with messing with your hardware when a lazy and stupid company won't fix their game! You PAY to play, they better fix THEIR problems. Stop listening to the people giving sad excuses here, don't put up with poor quality games.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by sebbonx

Just play WoW, why the heck bother with messing with your hardware when a lazy and stupid company won't fix their game! You PAY to play, they better fix THEIR problems. Stop listening to the people giving sad excuses here, don't put up with poor quality games.

Ya guys, just play WoW and farm epics. 10 millions of lemmings cant go wrong

• spydermr2spydermr2 Member Posts: 336

I have experienced lag, though not game-breaking lag.  Most of it seems to occur at the invisible "zone line" between zones.  The only lag that annoys me is the "when-leveling" lag -- you level up in combat, and the game freezes sometimes for 10, 20 seconds, then reenters combat and you've leveled up.  That lag is annoying and if they can fix it, I won't complain about the zone-line lag ever again.

Originally posted by spydermr2

I have experienced lag, though not game-breaking lag.  Most of it seems to occur at the invisible "zone line" between zones.  The only lag that annoys me is the "when-leveling" lag -- you level up in combat, and the game freezes sometimes for 10, 20 seconds, then reenters combat and you've leveled up.  That lag is annoying and if they can fix it, I won't complain about the zone-line lag ever again.

I have a decent computer with an e8500 intel 3.0,  4870 graphics card, 4gb ram, windows xp, 7200 hard drive, and still get hitch and lag especially around a city,  I have read the forums and the only thing they say is to raise your ram to 8 gb which is rediculous and impossible with xp,  amazingly it is the only mmo game i have  lag on and i have played many so it is not my computer.  It is to bad because Vanguard is a good game

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Lag and warping, etc. are no longer issues.  Post on the tech forum and hopefully someone can figure out what is going on with your rig.

Originally posted by boojiboy

Lag and warping, etc. are no longer issues.  Post on the tech forum and hopefully someone can figure out what is going on with your rig.

you must not read the Vanguard tech forums, lag and hitching are big issues it seems that people have cured it by buying a solid state hard drive which is fine but that means an outlay of 300 bucks and that is a shame.  

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by boojiboy

I wish i had a dollar for every time one of the vg apologists claimed lag/performance/hitching,etc were no longer issues. The same lies and bs since early beta, where the problem was always with the users rig and never vg. Its amazing how many people with current computers that have no problems running any other games or programs need to find whats "wrong" with their rig to play vg.

The game may be leaps and bounds better performance wise since beta/release but to say lag and hitching are magically gone are flat out....bold face...... lies..... period.

• I think the same can be said about those who complains as well, exaggerating and blowing it way out of proportion. Ofc it's and issue, but a serious issue like it was? No friggin way.

Originally posted by Crispin

I think the same can be said about those who complains as well, exaggerating and blowing it way out of proportion. Ofc it's and issue, but a serious issue like it was? No friggin way.

For many people it is a serious issue, now you Crispin may have 8 gigs of ddr3 ram or a raptor or ssd HD , but many of us dont.  When i am out  in the country the lag is minimul but when i am in a city or in a house filled with npc it can be very annoying.  the new Island has less lag and thank you Vanguard for that.  Here is the thing- when eq2 and AOC first came out they were almost impossible to play now they run like butter on my machine, the thing is they fixed their lag and hitching.  I am not a computer wiz but I imagine their code was easier to work on and they have more people to wrk on it.  Now I am going to have to spend 300-400 on an ssd drive and I dont even have any idea how to set it up , I imaginee I will have to go to a computer place where they will charge me a 100 to set it up,  damn silly!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I think the same can be said about those who complains as well, exaggerating and blowing it way out of proportion. Ofc it's and issue, but a serious issue like it was? No friggin way.

For many people it is a serious issue, now you Crispin may have 8 gigs of ddr3 ram or a raptor or ssd HD , but many of us dont.  When i am out  in the country the lag is minimul but when i am in a city or in a house filled with npc it can be very annoying.  the new Island has less lag and thank you Vanguard for that.  Here is the thing- when eq2 and AOC first came out they were almost impossible to play now they run like butter on my machine, the thing is they fixed their lag and hitching.  I am not a computer wiz but I imagine their code was easier to work on and they have more people to wrk on it.  Now I am going to have to spend 300-400 on an ssd drive and I dont even have any idea how to set it up , I imaginee I will have to go to a computer place where they will charge me a 100 to set it up,  damn silly!

Amazing how many outright lies appear sometimes. coupled with a lack of technical ability.. so..

1.  how much ram can your computer use ... answer.. about 3.4 gb regardless of amount fitted, unless you have a 64 bit operating system... so 8 gb would come in really handy y'know

2. SSD hard drives, just have a reduced access time, which means when loading a instance etc (and initial computer boot up etc) they do it in half the time - shouldnt be an issue in a game that doesnt have zones as such. either way, it won't affect your latency. as for costs, im thining about buying one myself, at the moment their about 150 gbp for a 60 gb ssd.

there are several factors that do affect fps, latency - distance from server, im in the UK and generally my latency is 230 ms, not ideal, but it wasnt an issue, Ram, insufficient ram does make a difference, but 2gb of ram should be enough, fitting more than 4gb on a system that doesnt support it, is just a waste. and heres the big one, Graphics processors, how good is your graphics card, high detail/resolutions do take power after all, im not familiar with the intel graphics, but it sounds like a mobo based one, personally i prefer nvidia's but, thats personal choice, any mobo based graphics will be using, more often than not, shared ram, which is less than ideal, hugely.

i did try vanguard recently, but i quit it again, not because of latency, or anything so mundane, but purely because, it was boring, grouping seemed to be nonexistent and solo play just isnt my thing. and before you ask, i was on the Seradon server.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by eddieg50

Amazing how many outright lies appear sometimes. coupled with a lack of technical ability.. so..

1.  how much ram can your computer use ... answer.. about 3.4 gb regardless of amount fitted, unless you have a 64 bit operating system... so 8 gb would come in really handy y'know

2. SSD hard drives, just have a reduced access time, which means when loading a instance etc (and initial computer boot up etc) they do it in half the time - shouldnt be an issue in a game that doesnt have zones as such. either way, it won't affect your latency. as for costs, im thining about buying one myself, at the moment their about 150 gbp for a 60 gb ssd.

there are several factors that do affect fps, latency - distance from server, im in the UK and generally my latency is 230 ms, not ideal, but it wasnt an issue, Ram, insufficient ram does make a difference, but 2gb of ram should be enough, fitting more than 4gb on a system that doesnt support it, is just a waste. and heres the big one, Graphics processors, how good is your graphics card, high detail/resolutions do take power after all, im not familiar with the intel graphics, but it sounds like a mobo based one, personally i prefer nvidia's but, thats personal choice, any mobo based graphics will be using, more often than not, shared ram, which is less than ideal, hugely.

i did try vanguard recently, but i quit it again, not because of latency, or anything so mundane, but purely because, it was boring, grouping seemed to be nonexistent and solo play just isnt my thing. and before you ask, i was on the Seradon server.

Lol @ technical ability being required for any game but vanguard to run on your average rig. The main advantage for ssd's in vg is chunk crossing and they do make a difference.

"our raid has been booted about 3 or 4 times now, pings are enormous, we tried a few trash mobs and lag for the whole raid every 5 or 6 seconds for 5 or 6 seconds. we were in shard 3 but innovous keeps booting raid when trying to swap chunks

Whats going on and does anyone have a work arround?

Message edited by Rasa_Brava on 12/05/2009 10:28:30."

Maybe you can pop on the vg forums and enlighten all the uneducated peons how to make vg run on their systems.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I don't have a great machine by any means and I have run the game smoothly a couple times when I have re-subbed.  The lag and hitching was absolutely horrible at release and for quite some time afterwards but it has been taken care of for the most part.  I haven't had to mess with any .ini files or tweak any settings in game to increase performance but I did get the occasional hitching while crossing chuncks which can  be somewhat irritating after a while.

I don't really have any suggestions other than to update all your driver software or maybe follow some of the guides on the forums.  I never had any troubles so I didn't have to go into any of it not sure if I'm just lucky being on the east coast or what but that doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

My current system is

Vista 64

4G Ram

8800GTS 512 version

Q6600

WD System Drive

WD Multimedia Drive

WD Drive I use for my Adobe Suite, Office, design saves, and compiler programs.

Not sure if any of that helps or not but it may be some sort of reference point *shrug*. I honestly don't know but hope you the best of luck getting things to run smoothly so you can enjoy the game with your bud.