Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dont Understand the hype???

Comments

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Jackio81

You know honestly I don't see anything wrong with hype.

If a person is such a nitwit to fall for it then that's their problem.

;)

Oh yea, I forgot, I have to pay £10 a month to subscribe to the 'Guild Wars 2 hype'

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Hype ? What hype ? it's not hyped to much. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Seems to me any hype is the result of fans of the first game assuming that GW 2 will be everything they loved in the first one (like no monthly fee) coupled with improvemements in areas the first one was lacking (open world exploration)

The Dev's themselves really aren't going out of their way to say too much at this point in time.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LIthosLIthos Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

*sigh*

you want to know why ppl think it's a real mmo?

because it was confirmed.

you want to know why there's so much hype?

because it's GW.

you still don't get it?

then it probably just isn't your cup of tea.

Just in case you didnt see it the first time.

• ntrustntrust Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

The more information that is released about a game, the lower it's hype goes.  The same people giving it 10s today will rip it to shreds at launch because it isn't the game they wanted it to be.  As long as we don't have any information about it, it can be everything to everyone.  With every bit of solidly confirmed information about the game, another subset of rats will jump ship.  Until they tell us otherwise, the pie-in-the-sky MMO nerds will assume it's the pinnacle of game development and the answer to all their prayers.
    I don't know why anyone expects it to be an MMO, the first one certainly wasn't.  It was a co-op RPG with multiplayer arena matches.  An it's only real appealing feature was the lack of a monthly fee... but then again, you get what you pay for.  If GW had a monthly fee, everyone would have derided it for what it was lacking... and compared to other premium MMOS, it was lacking an awful lot.

I totally agree!

• ntrustntrust Member Posts: 29

The more information that is released about a game, the lower it's hype goes.  The same people giving it 10s today will rip it to shreds at launch because it isn't the game they wanted it to be.  As long as we don't have any information about it, it can be everything to everyone.  With every bit of solidly confirmed information about the game, another subset of rats will jump ship.  Until they tell us otherwise, the pie-in-the-sky MMO nerds will assume it's the pinnacle of game development and the answer to all their prayers.
    I don't know why anyone expects it to be an MMO, the first one certainly wasn't.  It was a co-op RPG with multiplayer arena matches.  An it's only real appealing feature was the lack of a monthly fee... but then again, you get what you pay for.  If GW had a monthly fee, everyone would have derided it for what it was lacking... and compared to other premium MMOS, it was lacking an awful lot.

It's absolutely right. I've watched some movies about developing , the few out there and it was dissapointng. Hight expectations, but it's gonna be total crap.  They tend to make underwater explorations crap - :P only this sound deadly boring and anoying. I'm playing wow, i don't say this must be like wow but apparently this ppl can't understand that if they want success they must have everything that other games have and to have more. 1/3 of the game underwater ( i find underwater gameplay boring and unrealistic and restricting my character to play normal). All the spice part, the little fun stuff in other games ... mounts, flying  - MISSING at the stage of development. I'm sure that a good and complex crafting system will be totally opposite to the simplicity of this game (i mean it's a piece of wood) and it won't have one.

The best things in life are free  - i see now this don't work for a mmo. You pay nothing, you get nothing.

• 1niceone11niceone1 Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by ntrust

It's absolutely right. I've watched some movies about developing , the few out there and it was dissapointng. Hight expectations, but it's gonna be total crap.  They tend to make underwater explorations crap - :P only this sound deadly boring and anoying. I'm playing wow, i don't say this must be like wow but apparently this ppl can't understand that if they want success they must have everything that other games have and to have more. 1/3 of the game underwater ( i find underwater gameplay boring and unrealistic and restricting my character to play normal). All the spice part, the little fun stuff in other games ... mounts, flying  - MISSING at the stage of development. I'm sure that a good and complex crafting system will be totally opposite to the simplicity of this game (i mean it's a piece of wood) and it won't have one.

The best things in life are free  - i see now this don't work for a mmo. You pay nothing, you get nothing.

After untangling your post of convoluted reasoning and bad English, it's fairly obvious have not read the latest information properly or you're just trolling. Jump off the Wow fanboi wagon for a little bit and actually read what this game has to offer. Even a trip to http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2 contradicts what you have to say.

You say that to be successful, Guild Wars 2 and all other new games must "have everything that other games have and to have more", so if Warhammer online had brought in a system where players attacked each other with giant bananas all other games would have to have that as well to be successful? Give me a break, even at a reasonable level, having games that just copy what other games have done is terrible. Non of us want to be playing the same games over and over, we want new creative ways of doing things, we want to be surprised and challenged, not told to go out and collect 300 rat tails for some exp over and over.

Just as a side note, I find it quite funny that the new expansion for WoW is introducing underwater content. The very game you play and the very content you dislike.

Can't wait for Guild Wars 2, just hope it doesn't get hyped too much and therefore people complain about it not descending from heaven as the "chosen one".

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

The best things in life are not free. (some are, some aren't) And yes, you get what you pay for in an MMO. (How hard is that to fathom?)

GW was an awesome game. GW2 promises to be even better IMO. But it's hardly hyped. Hype overload to me comes from the company and gaming sites, not the consumer as much.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

The fact that you had over 4000 hours logged into Guild Wars 1 gets me really hyped about Guild Wars 2.

• MasterchiefMMasterchiefM Member Posts: 99

So far just looks like more of the same to me, just with a nice new finish.

Which is fine if they do it right.

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

open world exploration? i thought the game will be heavily instanced like before.

How is Guild Wars 2 different from other MMOs?

While Guild Wars 2 adds a persistent-world experience, it retains the unique characteristics of the original game, including strong narrative, extensive instanced gameplay, anti-grind design philosophy, and strong support for competitive play.

Oh, on subject, i think the hype is high because people got their moneys worth with GW1 and thats earned trust not given. 

I need more vespene gas.

• mAnkimAnki Member Posts: 2

GW1 is a PvP based game, not PvE...

xiit....

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by mAnki

It didn't prevent it from being aknowledged in big ways by many if not all major gamesites for its fantastic PvE, and been played by a lot for its PvE.

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by jondifool

It didn't prevent it from being aknowledged in big ways by many if not all major gamesites for its fantastic PvE, and been played by a lot for its PvE.

yea, I also played GW mainly for its PvE and did little PvP.

I think what should be mentioned about its PvP vs. PvE is that you can easily switch between the two, which is said still be the same in GW2.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

...Something to play when Aion servers are patching.

U blew it with this last sentence....

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by ShadowVax

I guess so. Open world HAS been done before though. There for, once again in my opinion, doesn't justify its current rating. Maybe once some in game footage has been released it will prove deserving of its hype. Until then, lots of games have nice concept art, and I can't begin to tell you how many dragons I've killed.

Yes, it has been done before. ArenaNet, however, did an awesome job with PvE in a heavily instanced, linear fashion, the thought of what they can achieve if they open it up makes me gleeful.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Guild Wars has about 3 campaigns and 1 expansion all of which you can clear from start to finish in about a day or 2 with the right knowledge of the game.

I've seen a lot of exaggerations about GW... and by lot, I mean atleast 500 pages of Troll Bait on forums & wiki;s...

But this one here beats them all...  No one is ever going to be doing that unless they're getting "Runs" everywhere and Bypassing 97.5% of the actual "content" (skill-quests, zones, missions, etc).  And even then, It's impossible to run all of Nightfall in 1 day because they have this pesky shit called Gated-Content.  IE: you couldn't bypass any missions otherwise you just ran into Locked gates everywhere and the amount of ground needing to be covered to run every single mission just totally exceeds whatever 24-hour period would be left after getting runs through the other dozen or so missions in the 2 previous Chapters.

Suffice it to say, the only guys who will even get close to that timeframe have already run through the game a dozen times on other Alts and really HAVE NO reason to keep repeating the same crap anyway. A total Newb to the game is going to take several weeks just to beat each chapter and most of that is the Learning curve and Skill Capping...  B/c even if the Content is on the lite side, no one's gonna just walk in and beat it all on their first try with nothing but the starter skills.

As for the Hype about GW2 -- Well, it's a hell of a lot BIGGER, has Open World PvP zones, and still won't cost any additional money.  That last one is huge.  Anyone who doesn't understand the significance of a real MMO with GW's level of Art production but with no Subscription fee... seriously needs to take a Business class (or atleast an Art class) and get a f***ing clue.

• ThzlolThzlol Member UncommonPosts: 38

As it's been said many times, GW was a game where you truly got your money's worth, and then some.  With the same philosophy coming through with the sequel, the game is bound to be good.

The one and only thing I'm afraid of are all these newer games with elaborate animations that end up rooting your character.  As long as there is the same fluidity as the original, I am sure to like it. 

• Sarge69Sarge69 Member Posts: 16

I don't understand why some of you complain about how fast it can take you to do this campain in GW1, or the next, it really isn't about the amount of time taken, but the amount of enjoyment gained from those hours.

I mean, anyone can pass a game just by doing the missions, but there is so much more than that, there are all those quests, hundreds of them that are just addons that you don't have to do, there is so much of the Guild Wars region that is left unexplored if you just keep to the main story and do nothing else.

Make sure the next time you log on and are bored because of a lack of content, make sure you type /age and find out how many hours that this game kept you hooked, you'll be utterly surprised. This game kept so many hooked and just because there is nothing to do now, doesn't mean it should be judged on how you feel about it now, but how you felt when it was new.

If you can remember what GW was like when it was new, around the beta, when you first played, remember all the exciting things that were new to you in the game, refresh your memory and think about GW2 in a good light.

• alpheusalpheus Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by jondifool

I believe that was his point.  If not, that's my point.  GW1 was a fantastic game, both PvP and PvE.  Even though it was a 'PvP Game' it's PvE side rivaled most mainstream MMOs.  Let us not forget GW1 is NOT a MMO as they call themselves COOPRPG or something like that.

That was the biggest downfall for me with GW1, was the fact that it wasn't a MMO as they didn't try to make a MMO.  Thus GW2 I'm very excited about because I loved just about everything about GW1 and to have the 'MMO side' added in will potentially make the game I've been waiting for.

I'm cautiously optomistic though, I have yet to have a game 'deliver' for me they it seems GW2 will.  Being realistic isn't fun.

• WeareweareWeareweare Member UncommonPosts: 195

Nobody really answered the OP's answer in my opinon. I completely agree about nothing to be done after doing all 4 of the stories they held for you, then you could get some titles which were fun for a time, then the only thing left was pvp(which is the damn truth). So i know we don't have many answers since a lack of information, but it seems everyone is just hyped since gw was fun so gw2 is gonna be a blast, which it will. Anyhow thats how i see it, nice graphics, a hell of a storyline(gw story lines were fun as hell to say the least), fun pve and such. So with more to come its easy to say that sure there will be a huge ass hype since the legacy gw created ---> gw2 will fulfill the gw fix we've been needing for the past years. I say this with the utmost confidence that arenanet will create something we can and will all enjoy.

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59

Guild Wars is one of the few MMOs that puts you in the drivers seat.  A lot of MMOs have story, but the story is happening to other characters and you just happen to be near by.  I love EQ2, but EQ2 it always feels like "Oh, Lord suchandsuch has just been here and lead a glorious seige, however there are  few monsters still around you can kill X and I will reward you."  And that really feels like you are following the story, like 3 steps behind it and not actually participating in the events as they unfold.

Guild Wars puts in the role, you were the one making changes, driving the story.  You lead the people out of Ascalon, you uncovered the White Mantles plan, you were Chosen and ascended in the desert, you stopped the Lich.  That really drives it home for me.  That to me is what GW is all about, it may not have given you as many choices as some other games do as far as story.  But you were the story, you were involved in the events, you were the man character.

For me that's were Guild Wars in the greatest.  They did a marvelous job in diversifying each player by skills and dual profession.  They did a great job with the art and look of the game.  But it was that story, that aspect of being involved that really drove the game home for me.  And I checked the other day, 53 months playing GW and hours were near 10,000.  If you put that amount of time back to back that is over a straight year of playing the game.  Admittedly when their focus went to GW2 I felt neglected as new content wasn't rolling in... at all.  But recently I started helping some people I know play, and going back and doing the intro material again, knowing what is going to happen, reminds me of just how good this game is.

With GW2 coming out they are pushing that even further, with multiple storylines which become unique to you as you play.  An event system that is above and beyond anything ever attempted before.  Many races, a vast explorable world (which thay say will be larger in expanse then the Tyria we have known before), and a way to live a new GW tale from the beginning... I just can't wait.  This game has been and will continue to be at the top of my hype list right next to TOR.

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61

Well GW1 was never intended to be WoW, in the MMO sense. GW2 however is going more for MMO with less instancing like traditional MMO's but still retaining its appeal. The reason they are making GW2 is so that can have a huge game (content included I hope) in order to extend Guild Wars further and bring it up to being a fully fledged MMO imo.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• ToidToid Member Posts: 20

4,000 hours played.

thats like 160 days or something liek half a year constantly on guildwars haha must be one reason its so hyped

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the hype was born out of guild wars!if you havent played it at its prime its too bad but trust us it was addictive and the pvp

was KING.YES BETTER THEN WORLD OF WARCRAFT BY A LONG SHOT

the number of player you saw last year in gw were mostly in pvp in guild wars

good luck trying that in wow .wow pvp is far from guild wars .

and the game was so good looking in 2005 when it got out everybody was shocked

and when arenanet added the replay feature for top player the game just exploded in popularity

its hard to explain ,you have to have lived it to understand but guild wars was the king of f2p for a long while and was second only to wowbecause of one reason

player wanted world event world happening wich back then was wow strengh and gw was fully instanced

wich a lot of player didnt like

now its reverse,wow is instancing more (like gw)and gw2 will be a world like the first wow was when gw got out

if arenanet do this in a good way and they dont get influanced byt ncsoft.

they WILL probably outshine wow.sin ce they are adopting what made wow vanilla big (world raid ,event etc)

wich wow left ,so no competition from blizzard and i doubt blizzard can implement dx11 and microsoft donnybrooks.

since gw2 is a brand new game for them it will be very easy to implement dx11 and donnybrooks.

wich will make world raid and even a done deal.add the instance they project on that and you got what made original world of warcraft successfull

wich im sorry to say was left in bc because wow was getting too popular and they just couldnt support world raid(kill dragon while horde could come and try to kill you too)