Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: What We Know

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Someone on guru was nice enough to compile a list of Guild Wars 2 info that we already know. For those who do not know or who are interested in seeing what ArenaNet has planned for Guild Wars 2 its a must read. Enjoy!

www.iloveguildwars.com/2009/11/07/guild-wars-2-what-we-know/

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Very nice indeed. Guild Wars 2 is the only Western MMO that I am really looking foward to.

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93

thats a pretty good compilation. thanks for the link!

• kevingailykevingaily Member Posts: 113

Great link OP. Good info there!

• MasterchiefMMasterchiefM Member Posts: 99

Seems like its gonna be a great game.

But I gotta see it to believe it.

• bani789bani789 Member UncommonPosts: 52

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think it will be the dynamic events that truly sells this game. That is something no other MMO have done before and which will truly change the genre.

But there was some talk about zones, and I read a forum post by Strain himself (it was quite a long time ago however) that he have made an improved version of the zooning in Wow... Which means no loading time (unless you are entering an instance or teleporting), anyone heard anything later about this?

Anyways, this is the top game on my list, Blizzard will have a tough time beating this with their next MMO.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by Loke666

I think it will be the dynamic events that truly sells this game. That is something no other MMO have done before and which will truly change the genre.
    But there was some talk about zones, and I read a forum post by Strain himself (it was quite a long time ago however) that he have made an improved version of the zooning in Wow... Which means no loading time (unless you are entering an instance or teleporting), anyone heard anything later about this?
    Anyways, this is the top game on my list, Blizzard will have a tough time beating this with their next MMO.

Link me to the post if you remember where it is please.

The game looks really good and promising but I gotta say that Blizzard probably won't have a hard time beating it since this game is not P2P (which is suppose to be positive) but it gives me the feeling that it's going to be instance zoned (each zone will have a couple of instances like in Aion) - can anyone confirm or deny that? anyway.. it will be shocking to me if GW2 world will acutally be a huge world that is considered a server with no instances to each zone .. and I bet Blizzard's new MMO will have a world feeling even better than WoW which means it will rule over the mmo genre again and will have the ratio of WoW - GW1 .. that's my two cents.

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well it will be persistent and not partitioned like in Aion. There will be instances but for dungeons and such.

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by arenasb

Well it will be persistent and not partioned like in Aion. There will be instances but for dungeons and such.

I read that it will be persistent but didn't see anything about being unpartitioned - where did you see that?

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• TlmaderTlmader Member Posts: 5

Thanks for the link! I am really looking forward to GW2's release, and I am still working on my GW1 Hall of Monuments lol.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

thats alot of info thanks for the link :)

• mattijaimattijai Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by kakarotrage

Originally posted by arenasb

Well it will be persistent and not partioned like in Aion. There will be instances but for dungeons and such.

I read that it will be persistent but didn't see anything about being unpartitioned - where did you see that?

The world design is expected to use less instancing than Guild Wars. Can you tell us what you have planned? - This question posed by mmorpg.com answers the question about a persistent world utilizing dungeons, personal quest chains and pvp primarily through instancing.

The game looks like it is truly taking on an epic feel. Can you tell us the scope of the world you are working with? - if  by unpartitioned it is meant that the persistent areas are continuous, then yes, it is unpartitioned.  Reading between the lines, it could be infered that the PvP, WvW, dungeons and personal quest chains would be pseudo-partitioned to maintain individual world server stability, personal lore choices, etc...

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

I think GW2 will be awesome! just like GW1.

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Someone on guru was nice enough to compile a list of Guild Wars 2 info that we already know. For those who do not know or who are interested in seeing what ArenaNet has planned for Guild Wars 2 its a must read. Enjoy!

www.iloveguildwars.com/2009/11/07/guild-wars-2-what-we-know/

Very good article.  Have read it several times.  I think hits the hammer on the head with a lot of the info.

• cancer777cancer777 Member Posts: 1

I arrived late to the mmo scene the montnly fee have kept me away for years, just recenlty decided to look back at the genre and learned about guild wars, just bought the orginal (plus free eye of the north) and i have to say im ahving a great time, im defitnely picking up GW2 all the features described sund incredible !

Cancer is also a zodiac sign...

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by cancer777
    I arrived late to the mmo scene the montnly fee have kept me away for years, just recenlty decided to look back at the genre and learned about guild wars, just bought the orginal (plus free eye of the north) and i have to say im ahving a great time, im defitnely picking up GW2 all the features described sund incredible !
    welcome to the world of tyria!
    hope you continue to enjoy your stay and see you in GW2 ^_^

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• Sounds like an excellent game...too bad they want to allow people to reserve their character names from GW1. This will prevent me from playing GW2.

I predict a huge number of names like: o3vilM4g3666o, D4rk4rr0w007, or other such goofiness. XD

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by poopypants

Sounds like an excellent game...too bad they want to allow people to reserve their character names from GW1. This will prevent me from playing GW2.

I predict a huge number of names like: o3vilM4g3666o, D4rk4rr0w007, or other such goofiness. XD

If you had actually played GW, this wouldnt be a concern.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by poopypants

Sounds like an excellent game...too bad they want to allow people to reserve their character names from GW1. This will prevent me from playing GW2.

That is not such a big problem as it was in Gw, in the first game the name was unique but here there will be different servers so you can probably just use the name on another server. I am not sure how it will work, if your name will be reserved on a specific server or what?

I think it is rather nice, but only players with EotN will have the name reserved.

As for the name policy we will just have to wait and see. Most players in GW actually had rather ok names even though some were outrageous.

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61

Uh I hate guns in MMO's, oh well I'll get over it :(

' My guns – they’ll get ya!

In the 250 years since GW1, magical and physical technology has advanced.

Charr lead the revolution of physical technology – guns, explosives and war machines.

Some professions use rifles and pistols; think old-fashioned muskets rather than machine guns; but with a unique twist.'

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Sylvari

Charr lead the revolution of physical technology – guns, explosives and war machines.

Some professions use rifles and pistols; think old-fashioned muskets rather than machine guns; but with a unique twist.'

Here's hoping for jet-packs and flying cars in GW3 =P

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Originally posted by Sylvari

Here's hoping for jet-packs and flying cars in GW3 =P

Your making my ears bleed!

Well as long as they ARE muskets 'with a unique twist', then they shouldn't be too bad... I hope...

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Very good article. Many thanks.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Lots and lots of great ideas in there.

World vs world PvP...check

Dynamic PvE...check

An interesting class system with actual customization...check

If they can deliver on most of this stuff, they'll have a hit.  I guess we have a year or so to find out...

• noob-gamernoob-gamer Member Posts: 81

is that article going to be updated as more info comes out