Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Force Users & Companions Screenshots

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

It's official Star Wars: The Old Republic blow out day today at MMORPG.com, and we're kicking things off with a batch of new screenshots depicting the recently revealed Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor classes, as well as the previously revealed Jedi Knight and Imperial Agent classes.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Star Wars: The Old Republic

Also included in today's batch are a number of screenshots of some of the companion characters you'll be able to pick up in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Check out the new shots here

Comments

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

"Companion characters" are...?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• SirBongsAlotSirBongsAlot Member UncommonPosts: 76

hmmm companion's....really companion's 

this game is starting to sound more and more like Guild(Star) Wars

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Sounds Great - Nice stuff.

I am looking forward to the force done right.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Star Wars: The Old Republic will feature companion characters similar to what you experienced when playing previous BioWare RPGs such as Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic. You'll essentially have your own Morrigan's, Jolee Bindos, and Carth Onasi's along with you on your adventures and they will react to, and if I recall correctly, be molded by your decisions. There aren't many solid details yet, but that is the gist of it.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

It's just wrong that the females can't even get their hands around the lightsaber hilts. I mean, sure, it's reminiscent of a common male fantasy, but still....

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
    Originally posted by MikeB

Star Wars: The Old Republic will feature companion characters similar to what you experienced when playing previous BioWare RPGs such as Dragon Age or Knights of the Old Republic. You'll essentially have your own Morrigan's, Jolee Bindos, and Carth Onasi's along with you on your adventures and they will react to, and if I recall correctly, be molded by your decisions. There aren't many solid details yet, but that is the gist of it.

Weren't those single player games?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

They look good, then you make them full size and it hits the fan from there on...

Ill be keeping a eye on this, but I'm still not OOOO and AHHHing just yet.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

Weren't those single player games?

is that what MMORPGs are becoming, single player game with a chat box? thats all you hear in every forum.

More soloable

More soloable

More soloable

More soloable

soon MMO companies will just give us games like Dragon Age except with a giant chat box, and when you got to a city it will be a hub where you can watch other players run by you on their way to their own private instance of the game world.

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

screens are meh for me...

but its BIOWARE (among my favorite game developers of all time) so im sure it'll be great upon release.

I play all ghame

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

I always loved Companions in Bioware games but in an MMOG??? That to me sounds so wrong. I have to agree with some ppl that claims that this game is sounding like a single player game.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Its brilliant really. You allow the player to experience group dynamics even when there solo and feel socially involved. When they do meet another player on there solo journey they can group up and I suspect drop there companions off at the local bar while they scurry off for personal time. Its the best of both worlds! 

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Ravanos 
    soon MMO companies will just give us games like Dragon Age except with a giant chat box, and when you got to a city it will be a hub where you can watch other players run by you on their way to their own private instance of the game world.

Honestly, I'd enjoy playing a game like you're describing... as I enjoy playing games like EVE or Fallen Earth. In fact, back in the early 90s when I was really into adventure games, I used to dream about online adventure games you could play with friends, as you did the MUDs of that time. Then came UO, and meh, though it was a good and eye-opening experience, my thirst for quality directed content in online games was not satiated. Oddly, after all this time, it still is not. This is why I'm looking forward to playing games like STO and SW:TOR along with the open-world games I'm playing now.

Who says MMOs have to be a certain way? We can have vast open, need-to-group games as well as the more directed, solo-friendly one. After all, the genre name is something that comes after the fact, and not a guideline.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Considering that single-player games have remained far ahead of MMOs in every respect and that the draw of MMOs is sharing the world with human friends (and enemies), I fail to see how taking a modern single-player design and making it multiplayer constitutes the dilution so many people are booing TOR as.

I'm a hopeless EVE fanboy, yet TOR's very different direction is just as progressive in my mind. EVE fulfilled one of the two game design dreams I've had since EverQuest, and I'm suspecting that TOR will fulfill the other.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Saerain

It's just wrong that the females can't even get their hands around the lightsaber hilts. I mean, sure, it's reminiscent of a common male fantasy, but still....

The handle looks still WAY too big. I agree. And no way I am EVER going to wear such a ridiculous hat like that Consular! WTF kind of cap is that? Radar like the cowl in Batman Arkham Asylum??

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• PTEDPTED Member Posts: 464

Well, here's hoping that you guys asked different questions than the others at the event :)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by PTED

Well, here's hoping that you guys asked different questions than the others at the event :)

Oh, I think we'll have some juicy stuff for you guys! Stay tuned! :)

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Elikal
    The handle looks still WAY too big. I agree. And no way I am EVER going to wear such a ridiculous hat like that Consular! WTF kind of cap is that? Radar like the cowl in Batman Arkham Asylum??

I'm assuming your jsut not familiar with people in the universe

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luminara_Unduli

• Anarchist420Anarchist420 Member Posts: 74

People complaining must have forgotten the game is in development, meaning, its still being "made".  The screenshots IMO were just released to keep people from bitching about how little info on the game, they could drool over, there was.  Seems their plan failed...  And hat whining?  Cmon... find a different hat!  Maybe an Abercrombe and Fitch would suit you better.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Considering that single-player games have remained far ahead of MMOs in every respect and that the draw of MMOs is sharing the world with human friends (and enemies), I fail to see how taking a modern single-player design and making it multiplayer constitutes the dilution so many people are booing TOR as.

I agree. People bitch about games allowing solo play in MMO's because they see it as a reason why no one groups up.  Which, in my own opinion is incorrect.  Soloing is not primarily a cause of a lack groups, it's an after effect brought about by a lack of good incentives to group which are far outweighed by perks of soloing.

Faster xp in a group may sound like a good incentive, but only in theory, because it often doesn't work that way.  As many players find out when they are stood around for hours trying to find a particular group to go to a particular instance / dungeon / whatever.  Whereas if a person solo's they get to play their way, at their own pace and in their own time, without affecting anyone else if they have to take time out from the game.  Plus they don't have to wait every 2 minutes whilst the each group member in succession goes to change their childs diaper / visits the toilet / goes to get food or answers the phone.

I agree with people that the balance has to be re-addressed.  But removing solo play from MMO's isn't the answer.  More encouragement to group and raid IS.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

There is nothing wrong with solo content in these games as long as there is a satisfactory blend with the team work and multiplayer side. 

Social requirements for me are

Multiplayer quests

Ability to have a friend along on single player quests (difficulty/rewards amended accordingly)

Housing in an open area (as an update will suffice) which is also a meeting hub & market  (LOTRO did a reasonable job of this but UO had it spot on)

Configurable housing will also keep players in the game longer as they wont want to lost their precious house if they spent time and effort on it.  I remember how chuffed I was with my house in UO.  Without it I would have left the game months earlier than I did.

Bars and festivals would also be good for multiplayer and perhaps training areas for practice where others could get involved or spectate.

I am looking forward to this MMORPG more than any other.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Well, the exagerated looks from previous screen shots is a lot less in these.  Looks like maybe they are acting on feedback.

Originally posted by Tarka 
    I agree. People bitch about games allowing solo play in MMO's because they see it as a reason why no one groups up.  Which, in my own opinion is incorrect.  Soloing is not primarily a cause of a lack groups, it's an after effect brought about by a lack of good incentives to group which are far outweighed by perks of soloing.
    Faster xp in a group may sound like a good incentive, but only in theory, because it often doesn't work that way.  As many players find out when they are stood around for hours trying to find a particular group to go to a particular instance / dungeon / whatever.  Whereas if a person solo's they get to play their way, at their own pace and in their own time, without affecting anyone else if they have to take time out from the game. 
    Yes, and there's the problem. In an MMORPG, you are supposed to affect other players. Having combat pets(which is what these 'companions' sound like) encourages soloing. That is - not affecting other players.
    Plus they don't have to wait every 2 minutes whilst the each group member in succession goes to change their childs diaper / visits the toilet / goes to get food or answers the phone.
    Doesn't happen in a single player game, so...
    I agree with people that the balance has to be re-addressed.  But removing solo play from MMO's isn't the answer.  More encouragement to group and raid IS.

Then don't add mechanics that encourage soloing.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm a hopeless EVE fanboy, yet TOR's very different direction is just as progressive in my mind. EVE fulfilled one of the two game design dreams I've had since EverQuest, and I'm suspecting that TOR will fulfill the other.

I agree with this. On almost every front, except the online social interaction one, single player games are far superior to MMORPGs. The main problem we're seeing is that the MMO genre is stagnating and growing very stale. Many games are a grind-fest intended to keep people paying a monthly subscription fee (i.e. WoW) and MMO companies are using the monthly subscription model to deliver games with as little effort and resources as possible for the monthly subscription and cash shop payoffs (i.e. STO, CO.)

The MMO industry needs a shake-up, and I hope that SWTOR will deliver it.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Honestly the ONLY thing thats looking to be TO BAD is the fact it looks like you will only be able to pic human as a race. kind of a shame too, with all the races in the star wars UNI. could be worng they may just be holding back the fact that you can pic from a variety of races...would be nice. pics are looking great too.

• draggo69draggo69 Member Posts: 4

I don't care if the game is solo player or massive, as long there is a plot to follow, a story, as in the other games (KOTOR & KOTOR II).  I played WoW and I watched that people there don't care about the plot, but the raids and doing dungeons randomly without following a storyline.  They reach lv 80 and the game is over because every mission is under your level.  I hope this game (Old Republic) does not commit the same mistake.

The Draggo