Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i buy an ssd

2»

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by Techleo

I've had some good success disabling parts of larger drives to increase read speeds on some HD at work. Take a 750gb drive and transform it into a 75gb high speed drive. For the cost its a lot cheaper then getting a SSD. Then again the lack of moving parts in a ssd are quite attactive. 
      Ill get a SSD in a few years when there prices are down to what normal rotational model drives are. It wont be long.

Even with shortstroking it's still much slower than ssd.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by dfan

Ideally between 64 and 32 bit systems there is no difference. 32 bit windows can allocate 4 gigs total, which is more than enough for any game out there.

MMOs tend to load much textures to memory while moving around with your character in the game world, this is the precise moment where ssd has huge impact on performance and enormously reduces this "stuttering".

Man............ you're clueless.
    I'm not going to go into a long post about what you're wrong about, because I would have to use every post you've made in this thread and that's way too much writing for something that's simply not worth it.
    But let me say this, there is something in everyone of your posts in this thread that go against everything I know about computers.... which is kinda bad. It says either I really don't know anything about computers, despite being on my next to last semester of my Computer Science core.... or you're completely clueless. I admit, that I don't know a whole ton about current hardware models of brands.... but this thread isn't really about that.

I'm not really sure what he's wrong about.. he's pretty close on everything he's said in this thread. 32 bit Windows can technically use 4GB total RAM (system+video) without PAE mode enabled, MS has it artifically limited to ~3.5GB system to make sure it doesn't break drivers. Windows will only assign 32 bit apps 2GB of RAM even in a 64 bit environment, so all 32 bit games (99% of games) are limited to 2GB of personal RAM.

The reason you want 4GB or more system RAM is so the game can have 2GB of its own while the OS and background tasks have at least 2GB to work with. Ideally the 1.5GB of RAM for OS and 2GB of RAM for game is all that would be used so 32 bit should rarely be outgunned as 64bit doesn't have any inherent speed advantages.

The stuttering during texture loading is precisely what SSD's help at and is why you see a huge increase in minimum fps when using an SSD, and texture loading is primarily short burst random access which SSD excels at and RAID sucks at. It doesn't affect average FPS much because texture streaming doesn't happen all that often.

SSD feels snappy even if RAID is faster at most benchmarks, whichever ones SSD is winning at are the ones that effect user experience - multitasking, loading, latency.. even the cheap ones that have slow write speeds feel quicker at normal use until you have to write out a big file/install a game.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I've had some good success disabling parts of larger drives to increase read speeds on some HD at work. Take a 750gb drive and transform it into a 75gb high speed drive. For the cost its a lot cheaper then getting a SSD. Then again the lack of moving parts in a ssd are quite attactive. 
      Ill get a SSD in a few years when there prices are down to what normal rotational model drives are. It wont be long.

Oh, when shortstroking a home HD why not allocate the remaining 675gb to a rarely-accessed data storage partition? As long as you don't access that space often, the heads shouldn't end up down there right..?

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Theoretically yes. In practice, I dont know. I've only done shortstroking according to very specific parameters given to me by the admins. Works wonders. I've actually seen read times faster then a ssd in certain circumstances. Its more of a cost to performance ratio decision on my companies part. 

Theoretically yes. In practice, I dont know. I've only done shortstroking according to very specific parameters given to me by the admins. Works wonders. I've actually seen read times faster then a ssd in certain circumstances. Its more of a cost to performance ratio decision on my companies part. 

It's still only fast at sequential operations (large files) with 512k block size the read speed starts to reduce a lot, and with 4k it totally loses its power. And it still has access times.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by eddieg50

and what would it do for me would it help me with lag or hitching or load times ,  how about that "Killer card" that is suppose to reduce lag in mmo, any one know anything about that  

Ya you should get a SSD, but not now. They are a relavtively new thing and they are not easy to manufacture(thus taking longer then typical HDD's). If you give it atleast 6 months, the demand will be down and so will the prices.

Unless you have $300 burning a hole in your wallet....

Originally posted by Swoogie

and what would it do for me would it help me with lag or hitching or load times ,  how about that "Killer card" that is suppose to reduce lag in mmo, any one know anything about that  

Ya you should get a SSD, but not now. They are a relavtively new thing and they are not easy to manufacture(thus taking longer then typical HDD's). If you give it atleast 6 months, the demand will be down and so will the prices.

There are no guarantee prices will come down. Speaking of the performance part, they won't get much faster until buses get faster too.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

Well SSD have come down in price a ton. It wont be long before they are in the 100 dollar range. Any mainstream product eventually gets to that price range. Usually hehe.

Still, there are no guarantees. Prices usually go down along with new technique and seasonal price drops.

Here's a price graph for x25-m 80 gig ssd.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

thanks for the info, my GF is buying me an SSD for christmas (she said I could pick out the model and make ,he he he)  I just have to figuree out how to put it in and make it work.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

They aren't worth the money yet.  You'll see very minimal improvements for a premium pricetag.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

There are no guarantee prices will come down. Speaking of the performance part, they won't get much faster until buses get faster too.

Prices always come down as the tech gets older and then evetually it fades away as a new tech comes along. The thing is, SSD's came out and they are unable to be mass produced the way standard mechanical harddrives are. Thus, the prices stay high and because of the prices they never become mainstream. It is projected for SSD's to hit mainstream by the end of 2010 or early 2011 which means lower prices.

A good example is the PS3, no one bought it because it was VERY expensive. Then Sony found a more effective way to make it and were able to cut the prices way down. They also have the new PS3 slim. Its just technology, it takes a while.

Prices always come down as the tech gets older and then evetually it fades away as a new tech comes along. The thing is, SSD's came out and they are unable to be mass produced the way standard mechanical harddrives are. Thus, the prices stay high and because of the prices they never become mainstream. It is projected for SSD's to hit mainstream by the end of 2010 or early 2011 which means lower prices.

A good example is the PS3, no one bought it because it was VERY expensive. Then Sony found a more effective way to make it and were able to cut the prices way down. They also have the new PS3 slim. Its just technology, it takes a while.

Ps3 is a different thing, it has some fairly new hardware like cell processor which makes analogue impossible.

Ssd is not a new thing, these things have been made for many years already. They are just milking profits from new products, the prices won't come down significantly until manufacturing process goes a leap ahead, meaning 22nm chips or smaller.